Let's have fun with this. Complete this sentence. "I may be the only person in the world who thinks this but..."

Tell it to the world!!
KILLdozer

Re: Let's have fun with this. Complete this sentence. "I may be the only person in the world who thinks this but..."

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 20th, '19, 09:44

I know they serve a purpose and are basically just fodder and filler guys, but these security guards in WWE are just a joke...what kinda security gets outmatched and outfought every single time with literally one move?

What really sparked this thought with me was that Travis Browne thing on RAW...he grabs the guy, grabs again to set up a punch, hits him finally...and he's down...all without literally any resistance or fighting back whatsoever.

Maybe that was poorly choreographed...and I know it's been that way forever...but am I wrong for at least wanting to see security seem like somewhat legit before getting their ass kicked and serving said purpose?

Rhonda Rousey slaps security down that are 3 times her size...I mean come on lol
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Re: Let's have fun with this. Complete this sentence. "I may be the only person in the world who thinks this but..."

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 20th, '19, 09:59

I definitely agree.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 20th, '19, 10:32

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 20th, '19, 09:44 I know they serve a purpose and are basically just fodder and filler guys, but these security guards in WWE are just a joke...what kinda security gets outmatched and outfought every single time with literally one move?

What really sparked this thought with me was that Travis Browne thing on RAW...he grabs the guy, grabs again to set up a punch, hits him finally...and he's down...all without literally any resistance or fighting back whatsoever.

Maybe that was poorly choreographed...and I know it's been that way forever...but am I wrong for at least wanting to see security seem like somewhat legit before getting their ass kicked and serving said purpose?

Rhonda Rousey slaps security down that are 3 times her size...I mean come on lol
I like the idea that wrestlers are supposed to look super tough beating up security like nothing, but there are some cases that it just looks fake. I hate the one punch takedowns, or even worse, the armdrag ones that Ronda does. If you're gonna treat them as wimps, then send out kids that look like wimps, but if you're going to send out a big dude like WWE does sometimes, then at least hit them with power moves.

cheap plug for Impact, but they did a security beatdown last week and they sent out wimps and got taken out by moves that probably would take me out, which at the end, only helps Kross' image as a bad ass.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 20th, '19, 11:18

Yeah it's just counterproductive when security gets steamrolled every single time with literally no effort and they never even get a shot in...it kinda just...exposes it...to talk like Brm for a second...

Where the hell do you get security like that?
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 20th, '19, 11:23

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 20th, '19, 11:18 Where the hell do you get security like that?
same place shopping malls or retail stores do, have you ever seen the average security guard? at least these could be able to chase someone down.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Apr 12th, '19, 12:25

I may be the only one who thinks this but Bandido needs a new mask. He looks like he's got a giant penis for a nose.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Apr 12th, '19, 15:21

NWK2000 wrote: Apr 12th, '19, 12:25 I may be the only one who thinks this but Bandido needs a new mask. He looks like he's got a giant penis for a nose.
I mean, I don't see quite the same thing, but to me it just looked like a duck's beak and it made me giggle the whole time.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Apr 28th, '19, 10:25

I did not respect Eddie Guerrero as a wrestler until he cut his hair. I still can't watch his old matches.

Same with Lance Storm.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Apr 28th, '19, 13:23

Bob-O wrote: Apr 28th, '19, 10:25 I did not respect Eddie Guerrero as a wrestler until he cut his hair. I still can't watch his old matches.

Same with Lance Storm.
I get it, mullets instantly just make me think scum or trailer trash because I'm a terrible prejudiced human.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 28th, '19, 19:27

Serujuunin wrote: Apr 28th, '19, 13:23
Bob-O wrote: Apr 28th, '19, 10:25 I did not respect Eddie Guerrero as a wrestler until he cut his hair. I still can't watch his old matches.

Same with Lance Storm.
I get it, mullets instantly just make me think scum or trailer trash because I'm a terrible prejudiced human.
Then watch his stuff in AAA as a heel. Problem solved.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » May 4th, '19, 17:42

I honestly think it's time Vince rehires Russo.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 4th, '19, 19:10

Bob-O wrote: May 4th, '19, 17:42 I honestly think it's time Vince rehires Russo.
F*ck off. There is "having fun" with something, and then there is being a troll, and you're way on the wrong side of the line.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 4th, '19, 19:10

Gloria is a much cooler and impactful-looking move, and Naito should be using that as his finisher and not Destino.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » May 4th, '19, 20:26

Big Red Machine wrote: May 4th, '19, 19:10
Bob-O wrote: May 4th, '19, 17:42 I honestly think it's time Vince rehires Russo.
F*ck off. There is "having fun" with something, and then there is being a troll, and you're way on the wrong side of the line.
Haha! For real though, reel it in there Mr Cornette and hear me out!

-Russo did his best work for Vince. You can say what you will about Vince, but he has "a way" with big personalities (like Hogan). Russo only goes off the rails when he's left to his own devices (like Hogan).

-Russo is the only writer that Vince respects. Russo has the ego fight for his ideas without fear of losing his job.

-Russo's strengths are what WWE is severely lacking right now. Consistency in characters, driven stories told clearly, and direction in the undercard (everybody has an angle). A Russo-written show wouldn't have 6000 recaps, there wouldn't be time. Kofi wouldn't still be celebrating his Wrestlemania Moment because there'd be other stuff to do.

-At this point, WHO CARES IF IT GOES OFF INTO RUSSO-LAND!? Nobody wants to watch it anymore as it is, I could actually go for Bray Wyatt hanging people off his "symbol" or Robert Roode defending his mustache like it were a championship (shave it if he loses). Maybe Mojo Rawley is undergoing gender reassignment which is why he hates the mirror so much, but at least we'd have a fucking reason and it'd be entertaining. It'd be different, ACTUALLY different, which might work and it might not, but doing what they're doing sure as shit isn't working, so I say it's worth a shot.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 4th, '19, 21:59

Bob-O wrote: May 4th, '19, 20:26
Haha! For real though, reel it in there Mr Cornette and hear me out!

-Russo did his best work for Vince. You can say what you will about Vince, but he has "a way" with big personalities (like Hogan). Russo only goes off the rails when he's left to his own devices (like Hogan).

-Russo is the only writer that Vince respects. Russo has the ego fight for his ideas without fear of losing his job.

-Russo's strengths are what WWE is severely lacking right now. Consistency in characters, driven stories told clearly,
Are we talking about the same Vince Russo here? Because it doens't seem like it. You might want to go back and rewatch some 1999 WWF. Yeah, it's better than Russo-booked WCW was, but just because it's better than taking a shotgun blast to the face doesn't mean taking a bowling ball to the face is a pleasurable experience.

I also dispute your assertion that Russo is the only writer Vince respects. Their shared love of incest angles didn't stop McMahon from basically firing Russo (he was removed from the writing team with the offer of a "stay at home consulting job) for pitching a bad idea mere weeks after he brought him back in 2002.
Bob-O wrote: May 4th, '19, 20:26 and direction in the undercard (everybody has an angle).
Other bookers know how to do this, too. The best of them realize that you really only want about 80% of people to have an angle at any one time, so that the other 20% (mostly people who have just finished an angle that you are cycling down or waiting to start something new with) can be used as stepping stones for people whose stories require them to need wins.

Bob-O wrote: May 4th, '19, 20:26 A Russo-written show wouldn't have 6000 recaps, there wouldn't be time. Kofi wouldn't still be celebrating his Wrestlemania Moment because there'd be other stuff to do.
Not having time for recaps is not a positive. Just because wasting too much time with them is bad doens't mean that they aren't good for your show (especially a three-hour show).
Bob-O wrote: May 4th, '19, 20:26 -At this point, WHO CARES IF IT GOES OFF INTO RUSSO-LAND!? Nobody wants to watch it anymore as it is, I could actually go for Bray Wyatt hanging people off his "symbol" or Robert Roode defending his mustache like it were a championship (shave it if he loses). Maybe Mojo Rawley is undergoing gender reassignment which is why he hates the mirror so much, but at least we'd have a fucking reason and it'd be entertaining. It'd be different, ACTUALLY different, which might work and it might not, but doing what they're doing sure as shit isn't working, so I say it's worth a shot.
I care if it goes off into Russo-Land. While WWE is very bad, it's the kind of where I can watch it and- after ranting- think to myself "how could I get where they want to go, but do it competently?" and I at least get to stretch my brain that way. With Russo-Land it's impossible to do that because it's so stupid and incoherent.

This idea that "different=good" is a fallacy. As DDP used to constantly tell Russo's good buddy and booking companion Disco Inferno, “just because nobody has ever taken a sh*t in the middle of the ring doesn’t mean you should do it.” WWE needs to be different than what it is, yes, but I'd rather it stay the same than get worse, and Russo's different is definitely going to be worse.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » May 5th, '19, 10:56

Big Red Machine wrote: May 4th, '19, 21:59 Their shared love of incest angles didn't stop McMahon from basically firing Russo (he was removed from the writing team with the offer of a "stay at home consulting job) for pitching a bad idea mere weeks after he brought him back in 2002.
Right, but I don't see Vince firing Russo for using his name in a HOF acceptance speech. There aren't a lot of people willing to stand up to him... they all just quit instead...

Vince isn't going anywhere, he's not stepping down, he's not handing the book over. Russo is one of the very few people I can think of that would step in and say "YOU CAN'T HAVE ROMAN REIGNS JUST SHOW UP AT RAW IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE! I've come up with 5 scenarios however where we can make this work and get to where we're going" and be willing to FIGHT for the writing, up to the point where he does get himself fired.
Big Red Machine wrote: May 4th, '19, 21:59 This idea that "different=good" is a fallacy.
Not saying different=good, saying WWE needs to BE different to BE good. I'm not going to defend Russo's ideas or encourage the return of trash tv, but I will defend Russo's fundamentals and his ability to handle the workload, I'll also say that WWE desperately needs to change directions, and something a major as them rehiring Vince Russo would mean they've FINALLY accepted this - Prichard does not. We pick on The Attitude Era, we say "go back and watch some stuff from then", and while there was some real crap - some of my fondest memories come out of there as well. In 20 years I'm not going to look back on ANYTHING that's happened in the last 5 years and smile. Good things have happened, don't get me wrong, but they've absolutely lost the ability to deliver it memorably. I'll still remember Austin's Beer Truck though.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 5th, '19, 12:05

In watching 1997 Raws, that kind of "anything can happen" booking does have its merits. But the thing about February/March 1997, it built to one of the best double turns in history and Bret's subsequent best heel run. A relatively milquetoast C-PPV doesn't need that kind of build, it just grates.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 5th, '19, 13:30

NWK2000 wrote: May 5th, '19, 12:05
In watching 1997 Raws, that kind of "anything can happen" booking does have its merits. But the thing about February/March 1997, it built to one of the best double turns in history and Bret's subsequent best heel run. A relatively milquetoast C-PPV doesn't need that kind of build, it just grates.
Russo doesn't get brought in on Creative until after the 2/26/1997 Raw (the one in Germany that Vince apparently hated because he thought the crowd was dead, and blamed Cornette/Pritchard/Ross for convincing him to do Raw from German when he wasn't sure about it), and doesn't become a major force getting ideas on TV until late 97.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 5th, '19, 14:04

Bob-O wrote: May 5th, '19, 10:56
Big Red Machine wrote: May 4th, '19, 21:59 Their shared love of incest angles didn't stop McMahon from basically firing Russo (he was removed from the writing team with the offer of a "stay at home consulting job) for pitching a bad idea mere weeks after he brought him back in 2002.
Right, but I don't see Vince firing Russo for using his name in a HOF acceptance speech. There aren't a lot of people willing to stand up to him... they all just quit instead...
I think he very well might. Vince is seventeen years older and crazier than the last time he got rid of Russo, and has been nothing but a failure for the past twenty years now.
Bob-O wrote: May 5th, '19, 10:56 Vince isn't going anywhere, he's not stepping down, he's not handing the book over. Russo is one of the very few people I can think of that would step in and say "YOU CAN'T HAVE ROMAN REIGNS JUST SHOW UP AT RAW IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE! I've come up with 5 scenarios however where we can make this work and get to where we're going" and be willing to FIGHT for the writing, up to the point where he does get himself fired.
This is the same guy who booked a count-out in a Falls Count Anywhere match. Yeah, Russo might say that it doesn't make any sense to have Roman show up on Raw, but he'll cause a million other logic/consistency problems. This is a guy who when asked why he wrote Ric Flair off of TV by having him literally get buried in a desert, responded by calmly explaining what the rational was for taking Flair off of TV, not understanding that the question was why he thought it was a good idea to have Flair get buried in a desert as opposed to some sort of injury angle or something not ridiculous.
Bob-O wrote: May 5th, '19, 10:56
Big Red Machine wrote: May 4th, '19, 21:59 This idea that "different=good" is a fallacy.
Not saying different=good, saying WWE needs to BE different to BE good. I'm not going to defend Russo's ideas or encourage the return of trash tv, but I will defend Russo's fundamentals and his ability to handle the workload, I'll also say that WWE desperately needs to change directions, and something a major as them rehiring Vince Russo would mean they've FINALLY accepted this - Prichard does not. We pick on The Attitude Era, we say "go back and watch some stuff from then", and while there was some real crap - some of my fondest memories come out of there as well. In 20 years I'm not going to look back on ANYTHING that's happened in the last 5 years and smile. Good things have happened, don't get me wrong, but they've absolutely lost the ability to deliver it memorably. I'll still remember Austin's Beer Truck though.
Yes, WWE needs to be different to be good, but not Russo different. There are plenty of other bookers out there who will give you a version of different that is miles better than Russo. Gabe Sapolsky, Mike Quackenbush, Jim Cornette, and Adam Pearce will give you four very different kinds of different from the current WWE product, and all would signal an acceptance that something needs to change just as much as Russo would.

I also dispute Russo's ability to handle the workload, as he proved incapable of doing so during his first WCW run when he had the same 3hrs Monday show, 2 hrs other show workload to deal with.

As for the "beer truck" argument, it ignores everything after he left WWF. After that he booked pro wrestling for ten of the next fifteen years, and how many "beer truck" moments came out of that? There aren't even that many segments that people remember positively AT ALL, but despite people having soft spots for things like the "riot at the Impact Zone" or AJ styles jumping into a pool or segment where Russo, David Flair, and Daffney invade Ric's house, there was nothing that even comes close to "beer truck" level of being iconic. I'd argue that the big BDK reveal segment in CHIKARA is more iconic in wrestling history than anything Russo did since leaving WWF, and that's with a fraction of the distribution.

Russo has proven over the years that he is a man of limited booking capacity. He's a creative guy in that he comes up with wacky things, but his booking runs since leaving the WWF have basically been the same four things over and over again: big invading heel stable, worked shoot comments, young guys vs. old guys "keeping them down," and tag team partners who hate each other.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 5th, '19, 14:10

Big Red Machine wrote: May 5th, '19, 13:30
NWK2000 wrote: May 5th, '19, 12:05

Russo doesn't get brought in on Creative until after the 2/26/1997 Raw (the one in Germany that Vince apparently hated because he thought the crowd was dead, and blamed Cornette/Pritchard/Ross for convincing him to do Raw from German when he wasn't sure about it), and doesn't become a major force getting ideas on TV until late 97.

I know, but there's a lot of similarities there. Because of Shawn losing his smile, they hot shot the title into Mania, which Russo would do for most of 1999 (see the Hardcore and Intercontinental builds of WMXV) . And the reason why it worked in 1997 is because it set up something that built to the next six months of TV, building up Bret as a heel, and Austin as a babyface. That's why it worked. Swerves that are undone months later are just...nothing