Your 5 star matches

Tell it to the world!!
Serujuunin

Re: Your 5 star matches

Post by Serujuunin » Jan 26th, '19, 18:41

I know the match has only just concluded as of this post, but Johnny Gargano v Ricochet just blew me away. Definitely makes my 5 star list.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 26th, '19, 18:52

Serujuunin wrote: Jan 26th, '19, 18:41 I know the match has only just concluded as of this post, but Johnny Gargano v Ricochet just blew me away. Definitely makes my 5 star list.
You beat me to posting this because I had to type up how much I loved it in my review. That match was NUTS. Even taking into account whatever sort of craziness we see out of New Japan this year, I have a feeling this will be extremely difficult to beat for MOTY.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jan 26th, '19, 19:31

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 26th, '19, 18:52
Serujuunin wrote: Jan 26th, '19, 18:41 I know the match has only just concluded as of this post, but Johnny Gargano v Ricochet just blew me away. Definitely makes my 5 star list.
You beat me to posting this because I had to type up how much I loved it in my review. That match was NUTS. Even taking into account whatever sort of craziness we see out of New Japan this year, I have a feeling this will be extremely difficult to beat for MOTY.
I knew as soon as I saw the advert for this match that I had to make time for it. On paper this match was excellence, in practice, it was total insanity haha. I loved it! Give me more of this please!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 18th, '19, 02:12

Just got finished watching the Elimination Chamber main event. PERFECT!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 28th, '19, 08:56

Dave gave Okada vs SANADA 5 stars. Okada vs Ishii and SANADA vs Tanahashi both got 4.75

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Apr 5th, '19, 20:09

Adam Cole and Johnny Gargano from TakeOver tonight just blew my brain right out of my head. I think at this point Gargano has become my favourite wrestler in the company.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Apr 6th, '19, 10:03

Serujuunin wrote: Apr 5th, '19, 20:09 Adam Cole and Johnny Gargano from TakeOver tonight just blew my brain right out of my head. I think at this point Gargano has become my favourite wrestler in the company.
You literally say the same thing about every got-dang Takeover Main event...lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Apr 6th, '19, 10:23

KILLdozer wrote: Apr 6th, '19, 10:03
Serujuunin wrote: Apr 5th, '19, 20:09 Adam Cole and Johnny Gargano from TakeOver tonight just blew my brain right out of my head. I think at this point Gargano has become my favourite wrestler in the company.
You literally say the same thing about every got-dang Takeover Main event...lol.
Because they’re all so good!!

And I think the only one I said that about before this one was Gargano v Ricochet from TakeOver Phoenix. Not even the main event of the show, mind you.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Apr 6th, '19, 12:27

Serujuunin wrote: Apr 6th, '19, 10:23
KILLdozer wrote: Apr 6th, '19, 10:03
Because they’re all so good!!

And I think the only one I said that about before this one was Gargano v Ricochet from TakeOver Phoenix. Not even the main event of the show, mind you.
I just feel like it's always "oh my goodness, holy Got-dang, what a great dang ol' 5 star match from that Nxt takeover"
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 7th, '19, 13:49

Adding Dunne vs. WALTER from TakeOver: New York.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 11th, '19, 21:56

Meltzer went *****1/2 for Cole/Gargano

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Apr 12th, '19, 11:01

Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 11th, '19, 21:56 Meltzer went *****1/2 for Cole/Gargano
Because it was amazing!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 12th, '19, 11:13

Serujuunin wrote: Apr 12th, '19, 11:01
Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 11th, '19, 21:56 Meltzer went *****1/2 for Cole/Gargano
Because it was amazing!
Yeah. I seem to be lower on it than most people.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Apr 12th, '19, 12:24

Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 12th, '19, 11:13
Because it was amazing!
No match is going to get five stars if it's on the same card as Dunne/WALTER. That was far and away the best match all night.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Apr 12th, '19, 15:16

NWK2000 wrote: Apr 12th, '19, 12:24

Because it was amazing!
No match is going to get five stars if it's on the same card as Dunne/WALTER. That was far and away the best match all night.
I like Dunne well enough but honestly, I'm just not a fan of the way bigger guys wrestle generally. Besides that, I can't help but have my perspective of a match colored by the amount of my emotional investment and yeah, Cole and Gargano had all of that.

Maybe it's because I'm a woman. *shrug*

XIV

Post by XIV » Apr 12th, '19, 23:18

Serujuunin wrote: Apr 12th, '19, 15:16

I like Dunne well enough but honestly, I'm just not a fan of the way bigger guys wrestle generally. Besides that, I can't help but have my perspective of a match colored by the amount of my emotional investment and yeah, Cole and Gargano had all of that.

I got more buzz from the Dunne/Walter match. I too wasn’t as hot towards the Cole/Gargano match, maybe with a couple more weeks build it would have felt bigger, I don’t know.

But Pete Dunne is a performer who it doesn’t matter who he wrestles, he stands a chance because he has the niche as the guy who will hurt you in other ways rather than just punches. He’s going to hurt your hand, your fingers, he’s going to twist your elbow. And that style legitimately will take down guys who are 6’4 or 5’5. Like, it doesn’t matter at all. So whilst Dunne and Walter look a mismatch on paper. With Dunne’s abilities against big men and Walter’s abilities and athleticism and the story they tried to tell. It was just perfect.
Have A Nice Day!

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Apr 13th, '19, 11:33

XIV wrote: Apr 12th, '19, 23:18
Serujuunin wrote: Apr 12th, '19, 15:16

I got more buzz from the Dunne/Walter match. I too wasn’t as hot towards the Cole/Gargano match, maybe with a couple more weeks build it would have felt bigger, I don’t know.

But Pete Dunne is a performer who it doesn’t matter who he wrestles, he stands a chance because he has the niche as the guy who will hurt you in other ways rather than just punches. He’s going to hurt your hand, your fingers, he’s going to twist your elbow. And that style legitimately will take down guys who are 6’4 or 5’5. Like, it doesn’t matter at all. So whilst Dunne and Walter look a mismatch on paper. With Dunne’s abilities against big men and Walter’s abilities and athleticism and the story they tried to tell. It was just perfect.
I won't argue with you that if there was more build for the match it would have felt bigger, but I don't know, something about Gargano just resonates and I can relate to him and it just fosters this emotional investment that I need to see him do things. And I think it was just the style of the match that Gargano and Cole put on, it's just more up my alley.

And having Ciampa show up at the end just made me bawl like a child, because I'm an emotional baby.

I can't get around the stuff Dunne does with fingers. It either seems too contrived and fake, or just makes me uncomfortable and I don't enjoy it.

But that's what's awesome about wrestling. There's something for everyone :)

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 31st, '19, 08:26

From today's WON:

Cody vs Dustin @ AEW DON - 5
Bucks vs Lucha Bros @ AEW DON - 4.75

Shingo vs Lee @ NJPW BOSJ D8 - 4.75
Phantasmo vs Romero @ NJPW BOSJ D9 - 4.75

to think that Dustin Rhodes got a 5 star at this stage of his career is incredible and as his first match outside WWE.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 31st, '19, 10:00

cero2k wrote: May 31st, '19, 08:26
to think that Dustin Rhodes got a 5 star at this stage of his career is incredible and as his first match outside WWE.
The "first match outside of WWE" part doesn't surprise me, simply in that he is now better able to pick his spots and save his body for the biggest of matches (like Jericho is doing). I'm more impressed by it being his first match in almost a year.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 31st, '19, 10:22

Big Red Machine wrote: May 31st, '19, 10:00
cero2k wrote: May 31st, '19, 08:26
The "first match outside of WWE" part doesn't surprise me, simply in that he is now better able to pick his spots and save his body for the biggest of matches (like Jericho is doing). I'm more impressed by it being his first match in almost a year.
plus he's also given more time and gets to book a story, as short as it was, that got the fans invested. What i kinda meant is that it's an instance that makes me think what some people could be achieving if not constricted by WWE's matches. And you're right, I didn't even considered 'ring rust'