Why this Ronda Rousey Worked Shoot Crap Needs To Stop ASAP

Tell it to the world!!
Big Red Machine

Why this Ronda Rousey Worked Shoot Crap Needs To Stop ASAP

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 11th, '19, 19:50

I'm currently in the middle of watching Raw and just finished Ronda's promo. For those who haven't seen it, she opened her promo by claiming she was going to "expose WWE" as "con-artists," and closed it out by saying that “anyone who believes in this whole charade is a joke.”
Ronda’s last line came off as BY FAR the wrong kind of heat to me. I can’t speak for all wrestling fans (and everyone please chime in to let me know if I’m off base about this), but the single most annoying question that I get asked whenever a non-fan finds out I am a wrestling fan is “you know it’s fake, right?” That very question- and the inherent judgment that comes with it- is the reason there are so many “closet wrestling fans” (of which I still very much consider myself one). It’s a lot easier to come onto a wrestling message board and in order to talk wrestling than to ask my friends and acquaintances if they are wrestling fans or not because I don’t want to be judged.
With the kayfabe/not kayfabe context of all of this, it seems like we’re supposed to interpret Ronda’s lines as talking about all of us viewers, mark and smark alike. I already avoid watching wrestling when other people are around because I don’t want those judgmental glances. I don’t need someone on the show bringing up those feelings, too. I’m not angry at Ronda because I know this isn’t a shoot, but just like the elation of seeing your favorite wrestler win is real elation and the sadness of seeing him/her come up short is real sadness, Ronda’s comments- though worked, just like the matches- bring up discomforting emotions that are very real.
I was already really annoyed with this show after all of the annoying, frustrating “why do they insist on doing things in this cockamamie manner?!” crap that went on with Balor’s entrance and then the f*ck finish and the bullsh*t in the Corbin interview, and was considering just shutting it off. I’ve got a weekly review column (where I originally wrote this, then decided to post it on its own) so I can pause the DVR and take the time to sort through my feelings and write out something cathartic like this, but most people don’t watch Raw with their DVR remote in hand and Microsoft Word open on their laptop. I think comments like the ones they are having Ronda make really, truly, run the risk of making fans feel like they don’t want to watch WWE anymore.

Your thoughts?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Earth Child

Re: Why this Ronda Rousey Worked Shoot Crap Needs To Stop ASAP

Post by Earth Child » Mar 11th, '19, 21:39

"Closet fan" here too

I actually can't watch wrestling when my neice comes over because of the judgement I get from my brother and sister in law

If I had to show a friend good wrestling I would most certainly NOT start with Raw these days. It is too embarrassing

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 11th, '19, 21:49

Earth Child wrote: Mar 11th, '19, 21:39 "Closet fan" here too

I actually can't watch wrestling when my neice comes over because of the judgement I get from my brother and sister in law

If I had to show a friend good wrestling I would most certainly NOT start with Raw these days. It is too embarrassing
I'm not even sure what I'd start with. Maybe CHIKARA if the person is a comic book fan, just because it's so outlandish, but other than that I'm not really even sure what. 205 Live, maybe, if the person is someone who just wants action rather than is going to be bothered by stuff that looks fake.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » Mar 11th, '19, 21:55

I thought about that too. My old go to was masato tanaka v Mike awesome from one night stand but my taste in wrestling has changed.

But in terms of current wrestling.....

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 11th, '19, 21:57

Place to be nation had a podcast with this basis ("Jeff Learns Wrestling), although the new person was going in with an open mind because he was the only one of his friends who wans't a wrestling fan. They started with the major highlights of the Hogan-Savage program, with the theory that that is about as Pro Wrestling 101 as you can get.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 11th, '19, 22:02

I used to be a closet wrestling fan... but then I realized that I don’t have anything else going for me in my life really but wrestling, as sad as that sounds, so I just lean into it now. I’m not embarrassed anymore, but it is still obnoxious.

That being said, I am also really annoyed at how much they’ve been throwing kayfabe around like it only matters when they want it to matter. Like, little things here and there, sparingly, are fun, but this is way too much. It totally breaks the whole suspension of disbelief that you kind of need to have to enjoy wrestling, to be honest. I think they’re trying too hard to make Ronda be edgy and cool, when she really shouldn’t be talking much at all, and just kicking people’s asses. It doesn’t make me want to see the Mania match any more than I already did.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 11th, '19, 22:39

I'm gonna tell you a secret-the easiest way to talk about wrestling around people that don't like it is to joke like crazy. Y'all know me-I don't give a fuck about anybody and give a shit even less-so you just gotta joke right back and outdo them.

"Fake?!? Obviously not! Look how he's REALLY KNOCKIN' THE SHIT OUT OF HIM! OHHH! I THINK HE ALMOST KILLED HIM! This is getting bad, you should go, trust me."

I've told y'all over and over again. She sucks horribly with a microphone in hand, every which way possible. No charisma. No acting. She's the least of my worries because she's so just naturally so bad. One of the worst I've seen in years. Remember, she might be gone in less than a month.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 12th, '19, 08:53

I have half a wrestling sleeve tattooed, i'm out and proud, and while I never bring it up, people do know that i'm the wrestling guy. People never ask me if it's fake, but rather 'wrestling, like WWE?' to which i always have to explain that i watch everything except wwe. I've actually been able to meet people lately thanks to the Bullet Club tshirts, people who i would have never talked to have approached me when I was wearing bullet club or LIJ tshirts.

Anyway, back to your original post red,

I was thinking about that promo and for the first time since this all began, i saw a light at the end of the tunnel. I hate throwing the 'fake' word out there, and I think the problem is that it crosses just beyond the line on how much wrestling can flirt with the idea that it is fake. The idea that a shooter comes in and claims wrestling is fake, and then goes and gets their ass handed to them and they finally understand that wrestlers are 'legit' is a good story, i'm sure that's what Inoki had behind his head all his run with NJPW, so from a top view, I stopped worrying about Ronda saying it's fake, because i know she's taking a beating at WM.

The problem i do see is that her promos have crossed the line. They're not properly crafted to ride the line between fake and shoot. I think everyone knows and accepts that wrestling is real, but what is the one thing that we always try to prove when we're asked 'Yo bro, you know it's fake, right?'. We always yeah, it's predetermined, BUT THE BUMPS ARE REAL and the wrestlers are legit athletes. This story IS supposed to push the line of the worked shoot to the point that that we all believe that they're actually going to shoot on each other and we're going to be rooting for Becky to defend us that the wrestlers are not just fake and that the bumps are real. I don't mind believing in a charade because i've seen Taz, and Hiromu, and Angle, and Triple H, and Dragon, all toughen up and finish matches with broken freaking necks. that's something that 'The toughest bitch in the world' WOULD NEVER DO! it's a charade and it's fake, but I know deep inside me and i've seen it vs Holm and Nunes, that Becky and Charlotte and fucking Ultraviolent wrestler Ruby Riott are tougher than Ronda Rousey.

I don't want Ronda to tap out anymore, I want her to take a worked shoot bump that will keep her down for 3 seconds. Anyone can tap, but only tough ass pro wrestlers kick out concussed with broken necks and torn quads after doing a Hardy bump. This is a feud about showing that pro wrestlers are legit tough ass motherfuckers.

I'm not excusing this storyline, it's been booked like shit. Becky needs to cut promos throwing away the stupid crutch and saying that pro wrestlers are tough and she will kick Ronda's ass. She needs to cut that "Your arms are just too short to box with god" promo that tells the back of my head that yeah, no matter to the Rock/Ronda are, Punk/Becky can kick their asses.

Something that also doesn't work well for me is that this is the only 'shoot' angle that is going on. If they're going to bend the rules, make it a whole theme. There should be an aura of doubt in what Lesnar, Lashley, and even Riddle would all do. MMA Ronda can't shoot while MMA Brock works, especially since they're both losing. if Reigns shoot came back from Leukemia, and Angle is shoot retiring, and Dean is shoot leaving, and Kofi shoot got over despite plans, then make me believe that everything is out the window and that WM is going to be a show where the winners went out there to shoot prove a point, be it being tough, healthy, or that they have earned a championship. In 2019, you can't work the fans like that, but you can unite them behind a cause in defending pro wrestling.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Mar 12th, '19, 17:10

I don't think there's any shame in being a fan... of ANYTHING... but I guess I didn't know there were closet wrestling fans. Like Cero, everybody that knows me knows what I'm about. If something is important to you, people tend to respect it. I don't think I've EVER had to answer the "...you know it's fake, right?" question, because people know how much I love it. People I associate with either know I'm not a complete idiot, or they don't want the responsibility of telling me there's no such thing as Santa. I don't know, but I've never met that person. Usually it's people politely trying to relate... "Oh yeah! I used to watch that! Is The Rock still there? I loved him! The Hardy Boyz? They were my favorite..."

Unlike Cero's more subtle Bullet Club shirts, my ringtone is John Cena's theme song. It's started a few conversations.

To me, the Rhonda Worked Shoot Crap is like somebody talking about Santa being fake to a classroom of 8th graders. They all KNOW that, but none of them want to hear about it. Christmas is still cool! The magic remains! But it's uncomfortable to watch.
Earth Child wrote: Mar 11th, '19, 21:55 I thought about that too. My old go to was masato tanaka v Mike awesome from one night stand but my taste in wrestling has changed.

But in terms of current wrestling.....
It depends on who wants to get into it, and what they want to get out of it. Last year's War Games is my go-to... there's something for everyone there.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 12th, '19, 17:56

Bob-O wrote: Mar 12th, '19, 17:10
Unlike Cero's more subtle Bullet Club shirts, my ringtone is John Cena's theme song. It's started a few conversations.
my ringtones have gone from Alberto Del Rio to Jeff Jarrett to Okada to Glorious to Aleister Black. Only Roode got me a question

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 12th, '19, 18:49

cero2k wrote: Mar 12th, '19, 17:56
my ringtones have gone from Alberto Del Rio to Jeff Jarrett to Okada to Glorious to Aleister Black. Only Roode got me a question
Y'all are lame. I use the Dragonzord theme.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 12th, '19, 21:14

Dude I legitimately can't stop listening to Aleister's theme. It's just SO GOOD.

I guess I used to be a closet fan because it wasn't "cool" when I was in school, and I already had a lot of things going against me so I kinda just kept my hobbies to myself. Now that I'm older, I don't care if people know what I'm into. If you're into it too, sweet, we can chat, otherwise, GTFO my face.

Also, I have a Jeff Hardy tattoo... Can't rightly say I'm a closet fan anymore... Well, since 2008 anyway! :P

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 12th, '19, 21:46

Serujuunin wrote: Mar 12th, '19, 21:14
Dude I legitimately can't stop listening to Aleister's theme. It's just SO GOOD.

I guess I used to be a closet fan because it wasn't "cool" when I was in school, and I already had a lot of things going against me so I kinda just kept my hobbies to myself. Now that I'm older, I don't care if people know what I'm into. If you're into it too, sweet, we can chat, otherwise, GTFO my face.

Also, I have a Jeff Hardy tattoo... Can't rightly say I'm a closet fan anymore... Well, since 2008 anyway! :P
Ciampa's theme is the absolute best. One of my go-tos for working out.

"NO ONE WILL SURVIVE!"

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 13th, '19, 11:45

In other areas though...I don't even have a ringtone...my phone is on silent, always. I don't wanna hear that GOT-DANG noise makin'!!!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 13th, '19, 11:53

I'll tell ya what though-I was working out to "No man is ever truly good, no man is ever truly evil!", LAST YEAR.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 13th, '19, 13:55

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 13th, '19, 11:53 I'll tell ya what though-I was working out to "No man is ever truly good, no man is ever truly evil!", LAST YEAR.
I was a late comer to NXT, it’s not my fault!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 13th, '19, 14:14

Serujuunin wrote: Mar 13th, '19, 13:55
KILLdozer wrote: Mar 13th, '19, 11:53 I'll tell ya what though-I was working out to "No man is ever truly good, no man is ever truly evil!", LAST YEAR.
If you say so lol.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 13th, '19, 15:28

pay no attention, he just wanted to get another shout out that he works out

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 14th, '19, 10:51

cero2k wrote: Mar 13th, '19, 15:28
pay no attention, he just wanted to get another shout out that he works out
Brother I can get you in Jinder Mahal shape in just a matter of weeks!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 14th, '19, 10:57

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 14th, '19, 10:51

Brother I can get you in Jinder Mahal shape in just a matter of weeks!
back-acne and all!? I'll take it!