BRM Reviews WWE Elimination Chamber 2019 (OMFG THAT MAIN EVENT 10/10!)

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews WWE Elimination Chamber 2019 (OMFG THAT MAIN EVENT 10/10!)

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 18th, '19, 23:53

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 18th, '19, 22:14 SD is certainly the better show (and I'm certain the time limit has something to do with it), but I think that's all on the strength of the men's division (and even there we often get pointless "well... we didn't want to book a real finish" DQs and repetitive crap like Orton vs. Hardy wound up as). The action in the women's division and tag divisions is usually pretty great (especially with Charlotte/Asuka/Becky in some combination), but the tag division booking has been painfully repetitive (a fact which feels downright silly when you realize that Gallows & Anderson and SAnitY have been sitting around doing nothing all year), and the storytelling in the women's division has actually been mostly crap but a lot of people haven't noticed because Becky caught fire.
Orton and Hardy was just another perfect example of my "just put on repeat matches over and over again for casual viewers, just redoing feuds and matches forever, with nothing gained or any real results, just because." Theory I just mentioned yesterday lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 18th, '19, 23:58

I just watched it. It was good. But it didn’t have me gripped too much throughout because they hadn’t made Kofi a credible contender in my mind. It doesn’t get that perfect 10 from me. But it is a solid 9.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 19th, '19, 00:56

XIV wrote: Feb 18th, '19, 23:58 I just watched it. It was good. But it didn’t have me gripped too much throughout because they hadn’t made Kofi a credible contender in my mind. It doesn’t get that perfect 10 from me. But it is a solid 9.
Out of curiosity, did you watch the gauntlet from SD first?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 19th, '19, 01:42

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 00:56
XIV wrote: Feb 18th, '19, 23:58 I just watched it. It was good. But it didn’t have me gripped too much throughout because they hadn’t made Kofi a credible contender in my mind. It doesn’t get that perfect 10 from me. But it is a solid 9.
Yes, I know they had to make Kofi a quick credible contender in a matter of days, but it was that too little too late thing for me. And also his being a replacement cemented in my mind that he was never going to actually win the championship, because if he was going to win, they’d have had him from the start. And it was that niggling feeling that took the edge off for me. Great match, I genuinely see Kofi in a whole new light following this week, but the shine was taken off by that one thing, so when it came down to Daniel Bryan and Kofi, as much as I enjoyed the story and enjoyed the rise of Kofi and even seeing that more ruthless side of him bouncing DB’s head off the wall. I knew the outcome. However, If Kofi would have won the match, I’d have probably got goosebumps and joined you in the 10/10 praise. But I’m just not quite there.

The rest of the match was awesome, I’m with you, the eliminations came at the right times, it was drawn out and then bam, couple of quick fire eliminations. Samoa Joe in the early minutes transition of submission to submission had me at full enjoyment because I wanted to know what he was transitioning into next. It was a solid solid match with plenty of enjoyment.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 19th, '19, 07:34

XIV wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 01:42
Yes, I know they had to make Kofi a quick credible contender in a matter of days, but it was that too little too late thing for me. And also his being a replacement cemented in my mind that he was never going to actually win the championship, because if he was going to win, they’d have had him from the start. And it was that niggling feeling that took the edge off for me. Great match, I genuinely see Kofi in a whole new light following this week, but the shine was taken off by that one thing, so when it came down to Daniel Bryan and Kofi, as much as I enjoyed the story and enjoyed the rise of Kofi and even seeing that more ruthless side of him bouncing DB’s head off the wall. I knew the outcome. However, If Kofi would have won the match, I’d have probably got goosebumps and joined you in the 10/10 praise. But I’m just not quite there.

The rest of the match was awesome, I’m with you, the eliminations came at the right times, it was drawn out and then bam, couple of quick fire eliminations. Samoa Joe in the early minutes transition of submission to submission had me at full enjoyment because I wanted to know what he was transitioning into next. It was a solid solid match with plenty of enjoyment.
Huh. The thing that made the match for me was that little bit of doubt in the back of my mind that said "you know what? They might actually do it." After all, even if you subscribe to the theory that Kofi's success in the gauntlet was him literally being plugged into Ali's spot, they had several days to rebook the chamber. They could have eliminated Kofi first, but instead they had him in to the end, and gave him the elimination on Randy Orton to boot (which felt like exactly the sort of symbolic move you would make if you were going to put the belt on Kofi).

And no matter how much I "know" a certain result won't happen, that niggling feeling always manages to go away in the split seconds between two and three.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 19th, '19, 07:52

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 07:34
XIV wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 01:42

Huh. The thing that made the match for me was that little bit of doubt in the back of my mind that said "you know what? They might actually do it." After all, even if you subscribe to the theory that Kofi's success in the gauntlet was him literally being plugged into Ali's spot, they had several days to rebook the chamber. They could have eliminated Kofi first, but instead they had him in to the end, and gave him the elimination on Randy Orton to boot (which felt like exactly the sort of symbolic move you would make if you were going to put the belt on Kofi).

And no matter how much I "know" a certain result won't happen, that niggling feeling always manages to go away in the split seconds between two and three.
I genuinely didn’t feel that. I get that you usually get that little feeling like “could they actually do it?” For that split second. But I didn’t get it once.

That’s why if Kofi would have actually won it I’d have popped at home on my couch for real. But they did exactly as expected.
Have A Nice Day!

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Feb 19th, '19, 08:25

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 18th, '19, 11:21
NWK2000 wrote: Feb 18th, '19, 11:18 I actually thought Beth added a lot by being on commentary on the Women's Tag Chamber, mostly at the end though where you could tell she was about to cry.
I find her to be a total buzzword machine. Plus, four commentators is too many, and the fact that she and Renee sound so similar is not good.
All fair points, but you can tell she's passionate about women's wrestling even if she isn't surefooted on commentary
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 19th, '19, 09:06

NWK2000 wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 08:25
NWK2000 wrote: Feb 18th, '19, 11:18 I actually thought Beth added a lot by being on commentary on the Women's Tag Chamber, mostly at the end though where you could tell she was about to cry.
I find her to be a total buzzword machine. Plus, four commentators is too many, and the fact that she and Renee sound so similar is not good.
All fair points, but you can tell she's passionate about women's wrestling even if she isn't surefooted on commentary
Passion is not an excuse for being bad at your job. There are plenty of commentators out there (even female ones) who are passionate about women's wrestler and are also good commentators. WWE should hire one of them and use her instead of Beth (and instead of Renee, while we're at it).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Feb 19th, '19, 09:30

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 09:06
NWK2000 wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 08:25

Passion is not an excuse for being bad at your job. There are plenty of commentators out there (even female ones) who are passionate about women's wrestler and are also good commentators. WWE should hire one of them and use her instead of Beth (and instead of Renee, while we're at it).
Rene's an above average third wheel. I like her banter with Graves (although this could also speak to how much of a dullard Micheal Cole is, that he can't competently be the Monsoon to Graves' Heenan).

On Beth, I'm sure there are better commentators, but her passion got over the moment, getting over the emotion of one of Sasha's biggest, and arguably Bailey's first main roster big win.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 19th, '19, 09:35

NWK2000 wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 09:30 Bailey's first main roster big win.
took me a second to process that.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Feb 19th, '19, 09:41

cero2k wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 09:35
NWK2000 wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 09:30 Bailey's first main roster big win.
took me a second to process that.
I was going to write "One of Sasha and Bailey's biggest main roster wins" and then realized Bailey hadn't won a championship on the main roster.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Feb 19th, '19, 10:59

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 07:34 gave him the elimination on Randy Orton to boot (which felt like exactly the sort of symbolic move you would make if you were going to put the belt on Kofi).
I actually didn't pick up on that, and I quote Randy's "STUPID, STUPID, STUPID" all the time... I'm a bad fan.
NWK2000 wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 09:30 arguably Bailey's first main roster big win.
NWK... Bayley would like a few words with you...

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Feb 19th, '19, 11:17

Bob-O wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 10:59
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 07:34 gave him the elimination on Randy Orton to boot (which felt like exactly the sort of symbolic move you would make if you were going to put the belt on Kofi).
I actually didn't pick up on that, and I quote Randy's "STUPID, STUPID, STUPID" all the time... I'm a bad fan.
NWK2000 wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 09:30 arguably Bailey's first main roster big win.
Wait she was Women's Champion? Freaking when???

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 19th, '19, 11:19

NWK2000 wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 11:17
I don’t blame you for forgetting about it, they handled it so poorly that it basically amounted to nothing, and she dropped it what felt like almost immediately. And then we got that “This is Your Life” segment and then the whole bit was ruined.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Feb 19th, '19, 11:23

Serujuunin wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 11:19
NWK2000 wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 11:17

I don’t blame you for forgetting about it, they handled it so poorly that it basically amounted to nothing, and she dropped it what felt like almost immediately. And then we got that “This is Your Life” segment and then the whole bit was ruined.
I'd repressed that. Thanks Bob, Seru.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 19th, '19, 11:37

Yeah...I was gonna say I'm pretty sure Bailey was a Raw Women's champion before...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 19th, '19, 12:18

Not only was she already champion, but while she was champion she was given the big victory of being the one to end Charlotte's PPV winning streak.

But before you all start feeling too bad, I actually thought she had been champion twice but when I went to double-check it turned out it was only once. So yeah. They've f*cked up with her big time.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Feb 19th, '19, 13:38

She defended successfully at WM33 lol

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 19th, '19, 14:52

Bob-O wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 13:38 She defended successfully at WM33 lol
Then again, how many matches from WM33 can you remember off the top of your head?
I've got:
Hidden text.
Bayley(c) vs. Charlotte vs. Nia vs. Sasha
Roman vs. Taker
Bliss(c) vs. Naomi vs. Becky vs. Carmella vs. Mickie vs. Nattie
AJ vs. Shane
Cena & Nikki vs. Miz & Maryse
Hunter vs. Rollins
Ambrose(c) vs. Corbin
Andre Battle Royale- the one with Mojo, Jinder, Gronk, and Super Security Lady
Which is 8 out of 13. And I have a pretty good memory for these things (I can tell you 99% of the cards for my first year or two of WWF/E PPVs, which is WM18-WM20, and can probably tell you the main event of every 95% ROH shows off the top of my head (and on the occasion that I miss one, I'm pretty sure the match I give you will have at least been on the card, and will have at least been a pushed match on that show).

I actually had one more which I crossed off my list because I thought it happened at WM34 instead.

The fact that these shows are so long and have so many matches and they don't do much to give the matches real meaning anymore is pretty damning. There is no reason for an entire forum full of people to forget that someone who defended her title at WrestleMania less than two years ago was ever the champion in the first place.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 19th, '19, 15:25

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 14:52
Bob-O wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 13:38 She defended successfully at WM33 lol
Then again, how many matches from WM33 can you remember off the top of your head?
I've got:
Hidden text.
Bayley(c) vs. Charlotte vs. Nia vs. Sasha
Roman vs. Taker
Bliss(c) vs. Naomi vs. Becky vs. Carmella vs. Mickie vs. Nattie
AJ vs. Shane
Cena & Nikki vs. Miz & Maryse
Hunter vs. Rollins
Ambrose(c) vs. Corbin
Andre Battle Royale- the one with Mojo, Jinder, Gronk, and Super Security Lady
Which is 8 out of 13. And I have a pretty good memory for these things (I can tell you 99% of the cards for my first year or two of WWF/E PPVs, which is WM18-WM20, and can probably tell you the main event of every 95% ROH shows off the top of my head (and on the occasion that I miss one, I'm pretty sure the match I give you will have at least been on the card, and will have at least been a pushed match on that show).

I actually had one more which I crossed off my list because I thought it happened at WM34 instead.

The fact that these shows are so long and have so many matches and they don't do much to give the matches real meaning anymore is pretty damning. There is no reason for an entire forum full of people to forget that someone who defended her title at WrestleMania less than two years ago was ever the champion in the first place.
i just had to look them up, it's actually really interesting the ones you missed against the ones you didn't.