Let's have fun with this. Complete this sentence. "I may be the only person in the world who thinks this but..."

Tell it to the world!!
Bob-O

Re: Let's have fun with this. Complete this sentence. "I may be the only person in the world who thinks this but..."

Post by Bob-O » Feb 13th, '19, 19:36

KILLdozer wrote: Feb 13th, '19, 14:41 I think Bob-O or Cero said it as well but...I don't like Rinaldi's commentary...way too "hip and fresh", with all of his references and the way he fits metaphors and similes into them.
That was me, but I've since changed my stance. He's my favorite now. While he yells utter nonsense and weird catch phrases, he's the only one that makes me believe he's legitimately excited about what's happening in the ring, no matter WHAT is happening in the ring. I just figure he's so excited that he can't compose rational thoughts, so he just goes with whatever comes out as loud as he can... and I'm cool with that. "ADAM COLE HITS THE SUPER KICK! SOMEBODY CALL GEORGE BUSH, JET FUEL DON'T MELT STEEL BEAMS, BUT RICOCHET JUST WENT DOWN LIKE 9-11! SAY WHAT, SAY WHAT!? MAMAAAAA MIAAAAAAA!!!"

He's completely engaged. I wish there was a little more chemistry between the three, but I'll take the NXT announce team over any other combination WWE has to offer.

I might be the only person in the world that thinks this but...
Mauro Ranallo is the only announcer in WWE that makes matches better by calling them.

Serujuunin

Re: Let's have fun with this. Complete this sentence. "I may be the only person in the world who thinks this but..."

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 13th, '19, 20:49

I like Mauro too, and I don't even mind his over the top-ness too much, except when it happens too much in a match. What bothers me is his attempts to be hip and current, and he makes all these weird references that are just so awkward and out of place that it's actually distracting.

I have another one. I'm not sure what all you guys think, but I just can't stand Corey Graves on commentary anymore. I used to like him a lot, because he was the only one that actually offered anything actually interesting or insightful, now he's just so much of an antagonist to everyone on commentary with him that it's so distracting I have actually turned matches off or muted them because of it. And most of the time it is Corey instigating things, and when the others try to change the subject he just comes back to it and keeps going. I would rather lose him than Saxton at this point.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 13th, '19, 22:29

Serujuunin wrote: Feb 13th, '19, 20:49 I like Mauro too, and I don't even mind his over the top-ness too much, except when it happens too much in a match. What bothers me is his attempts to be hip and current, and he makes all these weird references that are just so awkward and out of place that it's actually distracting.

I have another one. I'm not sure what all you guys think, but I just can't stand Corey Graves on commentary anymore. I used to like him a lot, because he was the only one that actually offered anything actually interesting or insightful, now he's just so much of an antagonist to everyone on commentary with him that it's so distracting I have actually turned matches off or muted them because of it. And most of the time it is Corey instigating things, and when the others try to change the subject he just comes back to it and keeps going. I would rather lose him than Saxton at this point.
I think a lot of Graves at this point is being forced to go out of his way because so many around him are just fuckin' garbage ass idiots.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 13th, '19, 22:45

KILLdozer wrote: Feb 13th, '19, 22:29
Serujuunin wrote: Feb 13th, '19, 20:49 I like Mauro too, and I don't even mind his over the top-ness too much, except when it happens too much in a match. What bothers me is his attempts to be hip and current, and he makes all these weird references that are just so awkward and out of place that it's actually distracting.

I think a lot of Graves at this point is being forced to go out of his way because so many around him are just fuckin' garbage ass idiots.
Well, the other commentators are not that great either, true, but Graves also doesn't have to be deliberately antagonistic literally every minute he speaks, it feels like. It's getting to the point where I mute my wrestling and listen to something else, because I can't stand him so much. He actively takes away from my viewing experience, he's so distracting.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 13th, '19, 23:14

This is more of a WWE dictum rather than something he does on his own (JBL used to be notorious for it, too).
Serujuunin wrote: Feb 13th, '19, 20:49 I have another one. I'm not sure what all you guys think, but I just can't stand Corey Graves on commentary anymore. I used to like him a lot, because he was the only one that actually offered anything actually interesting or insightful, now he's just so much of an antagonist to everyone on commentary with him that it's so distracting I have actually turned matches off or muted them because of it. And most of the time it is Corey instigating things, and when the others try to change the subject he just comes back to it and keeps going. I would rather lose him than Saxton at this point.
This has actually become pretty much the mainstream opinion. Graves has definitely gotten worse over the years. Honestly, I think a big part of the reason for his decline is him working with his friends (Saxton, Phillips, and Renee/Ambrose are all close friends of his) so he feels a lot more comfortable messing with them and he doesn't realize it's hurting the product.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 13th, '19, 23:42

I know he's been champion elsewhere, and even actually won his first MMA match...but I'm not sure how great Jack Swagger was/is.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 14th, '19, 00:20

KILLdozer wrote: Feb 13th, '19, 23:42 I know he's been champion elsewhere, and even actually won his first MMA match...but I'm not sure how great Jack Swagger was/is.
He's never really gotten the chance to show how great he could be. He hasn't been booked in particularly long matches or big spots in LU or for any indies.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 14th, '19, 10:02

Buddy Murphy is one of the silliest and corniest wrestling names ever.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 14th, '19, 10:40

KILLdozer wrote: Feb 14th, '19, 10:02 Buddy Murphy is one of the silliest and corniest wrestling names ever.
I'd agree with this (although perhaps one of our Aussies could weight in and tell us whether or not Buddy is a particularly common name down there?).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 14th, '19, 10:53

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 14th, '19, 10:40
KILLdozer wrote: Feb 14th, '19, 10:02 Buddy Murphy is one of the silliest and corniest wrestling names ever.
I'd agree with this (although perhaps one of our Aussies could weight in and tell us whether or not Buddy is a particularly common name down there?).
I mean maybe it has a different connotation...but who's ever met a guy named "buddy" who's not a goofball or somethin' similar?

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 14th, '19, 11:26

KILLdozer wrote: Feb 14th, '19, 10:53
I mean maybe it has a different connotation...but who's ever met a guy named "buddy" who's not a goofball or somethin' similar?
Buddy Roberts and Buddy Landel were arguably goofs too, but Buddy Rogers, Buddy Rose, Buddy Wayne, Buddy Hart aka Bret Hart, all legit

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 14th, '19, 11:29

cero2k wrote: Feb 14th, '19, 11:26
KILLdozer wrote: Feb 14th, '19, 10:53
Buddy Roberts and Buddy Landel were arguably goofs too, but Buddy Rogers, Buddy Rose, Buddy Wayne, Buddy Hart aka Bret Hart, all legit
It just doesn't seem to carry a very serious stigma with it...at least to me personally.

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 14th, '19, 13:24

Buddy Murphy...

A writer or trainer or namer was clearly watching movies the night before Buddy Murphy turned up... One of Eddie Murphy’s characters from The Nutty Professor was Buddy Love...

Therefore it’s an amalgamation of the two. Buddy Murphy.
Have A Nice Day!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 18th, '19, 01:55

Maybe not THE ONLY ONE...Bob-O might agree...but...-

Kingston actually surprise winning the title at this point would make me laugh so much. I'd legitimately find it hilarious because he's become such a fuckin' dumbass for so long, and I hate the New Ray so much I'd be genuinelyly amused because I'd never be able to take it all seriously.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 18th, '19, 02:42

KILLdozer wrote: Feb 18th, '19, 01:55 Maybe not THE ONLY ONE...Bob-O might agree...but...-

Kingston actually surprise winning the title at this point would make me laugh so much. I'd legitimately find it hilarious because he's become such a fuckin' dumbass for so long, and I hate the New Ray so much I'd be genuinelyly amused because I'd never be able to take it all seriously.
I would have popped SOOOOOO huge if he won. They undid all of that damage in less than a week. They should have pulled the trigger on it and put the belt on him.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » Feb 18th, '19, 08:51

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 14th, '19, 10:40

It's not a common name here. At least not in my generation and before.

I always associated it with American names.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 18th, '19, 09:44

name Buddy comes from 'friend', definitely an american thing.

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » Feb 18th, '19, 10:28

Peyton and Billie are also not names common here and would be associated with American names

Shane is (as in Shane Thorne) is.

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » Feb 18th, '19, 10:31

I may be the only person in the world who thinks this but stadium shows suck. House shows are where it's at.

I know that BRM already hates this but I loved Beth's purple lip colour. The bolder the colour the better in my opinion

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 18th, '19, 11:16

Earth Child wrote: Feb 18th, '19, 10:31 I may be the only person in the world who thinks this but stadium shows suck. House shows are where it's at.

I know that BRM already hates this but I loved Beth's purple lip colour. The bolder the colour the better in my opinion
There is definitely a charm to house shows that beats a stadium show any day. You can tell the wrestlers are having more fun because they can do whatever they want, and sometimes you still get the stadium-show-quality matches. I had the privilege of seeing Charlotte v Asuka in November that was every bit as good as their Wrestlemania match, and I paid less than $80 CAD for my ticket- like 6th or 8th row on the floor!

That being said, the house shows don’t always get the big stars so you sometimes leave feeling like you missed out on something.