ROH BOARD OF DIRECTORS EMPOWERS REFEREES TO MORE STRICTLY ENFORCE RULES

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
cero2k
Site Admin

ROH BOARD OF DIRECTORS EMPOWERS REFEREES TO MORE STRICTLY ENFORCE RULES

Post by cero2k » Feb 7th, '19, 18:30

source: https://www.rohwrestling.com/news/roh-b ... orce-rules

By Kevin Eck

In an effort to reemphasize the principles of the Code of Honor, the Ring of Honor Board of Directors has announced new directives aimed at stricter enforcement of the rules.

The Code of Honor, which was implemented when ROH began and differentiated the company from other pro wrestling promotions, is about more than the competitors shaking hands before and after the match. It stresses that rules will be followed, referees will be respected and outside interference will not be tolerated. In recent years, strict adherence to those elements of the Code of Honor has been relaxed.

The Board of Directors has now empowered referees to enforce a zero-tolerance policy with regard to competitors putting their hands on them and blatantly breaking the rules.

“I think the directives that the Board of Directors has given us referees going into 2019 is a perfect balance of ensuring that things are fair, while still allowing the wrestlers to use their skills and athleticism to show who is better inside that ring,” ROH senior referee Todd Sinclair said.

As part of the effort to crack down on outside interference, the Board of Directors also announced that anyone wishing to act as a manger or second for a competitor must apply for a license with ROH in order to be allowed at ringside.

If a manager or second is caught interfering in a match in any manner, the referee is encouraged to immediately eject the offender from ringside or disqualify the competitor the offender is managing/seconding. Depending on the severity of the infraction, a fine can be levied on the offender and he or she can have their license revoked.

“For me, it all comes down to the Code of Honor,” said Sinclair, who has been with ROH for more than 15 years. “It’s what Ring of Honor was founded on, and it has always been at the very core of everything that we do. Sure, there have been periods where the focus seems to have strayed from the Code of Honor, but history has shown that things will eventually come full circle. I feel that here in 2019, we’re back to that full circle point, and that makes me happy. I’m a huge, huge proponent of the Code of Honor."

Big Red Machine

Re: ROH BOARD OF DIRECTORS EMPOWERS REFEREES TO MORE STRICTLY ENFORCE RULES

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 7th, '19, 18:42

Excellent.

Now can someone explain to me why this wasn't put out BEFORE the announcers started telling us about how the Board of Directors had "empowered the referees" to do things?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 8th, '19, 12:03

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 7th, '19, 18:42 Excellent.

Now can someone explain to me why this wasn't put out BEFORE the announcers started telling us about how the Board of Directors had "empowered the referees" to do things?
The fact it was ever relaxed was baffling.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 8th, '19, 12:27

XIV wrote: Feb 8th, '19, 12:03

I can get behind the relaxing so long as such a relaxation is announced. I wouldn't have a problem with a promotion that told me up front that every matches is contested under Relaxed Rules (an excellent Gabe invention). The problem is that lines need to be drawn in ways that feel reasonable and consistent. The problem that ROH and many other promotions have had is when 1) such changes in the rules are not announced, and 2) when it feels like the sole deciding factor in when the rules are relaxed or not in a given situation is "will enforcing the rules get in the way of cool spot?"
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 8th, '19, 13:45

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 8th, '19, 12:27
XIV wrote: Feb 8th, '19, 12:03

I can get behind the relaxing so long as such a relaxation is announced. I wouldn't have a problem with a promotion that told me up front that every matches is contested under Relaxed Rules (an excellent Gabe invention). The problem is that lines need to be drawn in ways that feel reasonable and consistent. The problem that ROH and many other promotions have had is when 1) such changes in the rules are not announced, and 2) when it feels like the sole deciding factor in when the rules are relaxed or not in a given situation is "will enforcing the rules get in the way of cool spot?"
I understand logistically needing to relax the rules and if announced that a match will be under Relaxed Rules, then of course, brilliant, because it could be used to blow off feuds or hype a feud or even for many other storyline reasons etc etc... but it was the factor that set them apart, it made feuds feel different when people wouldn’t shake hands or would buck those rules, it felt different to a feud elsewhere. We’ve kind of been conditioned that those rules don’t exist any more and that ROH is the same as everywhere else, so I’m glad to see this being brought back to the front of everyone’s minds.

I want to see some people storyline disciplined because they refuse or fail to go along to show the viewer what the punishments are for breaking the Honor Rules.
Have A Nice Day!