Raw Doing Away With Overrun

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Bob-O

Raw Doing Away With Overrun

Post by Bob-O » Nov 8th, '18, 06:18

Source: Fightful.com

WWE is making a big change to WWE Raw that we haven't seen in decades. WWE Raw will be a firm three hours long, at least as things stand now.

Fightful.com has learned that WWE Monday Night Raw has a hard "out" time of 11 PM EST, as opposed to the soft end time that they've enjoyed since the 1990s. We're told this will begin with next Monday's edition of Raw, and will continue for the foreseeable future. This is already the case for WWE Smackdown Live on Tuesday Nights.

WWE Raw's overrun has been a staple of the show for years, dating back to the Monday Night Wars when the company was locked in a vicious ratings war with rival World Championship Wrestling. The two sides would often tinker around with starting shows earlier or staying later in an effort to gain a competitive advantage over one another. The overrun would stick around even when WWE didn't have competition.

The overrun gives WWE additional screen time, but also allows for flexibility on the show if a segment goes long. A source close to the situation indicated this is likely a USA Network call.

Fightful.com has reached out to WWE for a comment or official statement on the matter, but haven't heard back as of yet.

Bob-O

Re: Raw Doing Away With Overrun

Post by Bob-O » Nov 8th, '18, 06:27

Bob-O wrote: Nov 8th, '18, 06:18 The overrun gives WWE additional screen time, but also allows for flexibility on the show if a segment goes long. A source close to the situation indicated this is likely a USA Network call
Between DVR and Streaming, I don't think I've watched an episode of Raw live in over a decade. I didn't realize this was still a thing. What it means is we get the pleasure of them cutting more time out of matches so they can manage the end segment and get out before they're cut off. It'll be their excuse for everything...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 8th, '18, 07:35

Bob-O wrote: Nov 8th, '18, 06:27
Bob-O wrote: Nov 8th, '18, 06:18 The overrun gives WWE additional screen time, but also allows for flexibility on the show if a segment goes long. A source close to the situation indicated this is likely a USA Network call
What it means is we get the pleasure of them cutting more time out of matches so they can manage the end segment and get out before they're cut off. It'll be their excuse for everything...
This.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 8th, '18, 09:10

because 3 hours still needed an extra 15 minutes to wrap up.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 8th, '18, 09:19

Or, they'll do the smart (evil) thing and use it to their advantage to drive Network subscriptions.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 8th, '18, 09:22

Bob-O wrote: Nov 8th, '18, 09:19 Or, they'll do the smart (evil) thing and use it to their advantage to drive Network subscriptions.
fuck, like Extra Attitude? Finish all angles on the network instead of television?

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 8th, '18, 10:04

cero2k wrote: Nov 8th, '18, 09:10 because 3 hours still needed an extra 15 minutes to wrap up.
Even from cutting it in half on Hulu...not Much is missed at all...except for the usual women's quick match and undercard segment or smaller tag team stuff. So makes you wonder how much other time is spent on other shit.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 9th, '18, 07:21

KILLdozer wrote: Nov 8th, '18, 10:04
cero2k wrote: Nov 8th, '18, 09:10 because 3 hours still needed an extra 15 minutes to wrap up.
Even from cutting it in half on Hulu...not Much is missed at all...except for the usual women's quick match and undercard segment or smaller tag team stuff. So makes you wonder how much other time is spent on other shit.
I wonder that myself. I've been watching Hulu's condensed version for years now, and the only time I've been the least bit annoyed is when they used to cut Epico and Primo matches. 3 hours is SO MUCH time! It's one of the things I miss most about Nitro, when it was three hours it felt like they USED it all. Sometimes I feel like they replay things because Kevin Dunn is proud of his camera angles...

But yeah... I wouldn't put it past them to, "...we're out of time! Flip over to WWE network to see the conclusion...". Which, shady as it is, they've got this Network that they've deemed their future, but their two biggest points of sale don't do a whole lot to drive it. Sure there's the "extras", but there's nothing on it relevant to the two big shows and nothing "can't miss" beyond the PPV's. Airing Raw's overrun live would be a start...

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 9th, '18, 07:30

Yeah, it's like out of cutting the show time in half...you might only miss two short matches and 3 segments at most! How does that happen?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 9th, '18, 08:59

Bob-O wrote: Nov 9th, '18, 07:21

But yeah... I wouldn't put it past them to, "...we're out of time! Flip over to WWE network to see the conclusion...". Which, shady as it is, they've got this Network that they've deemed their future, but their two biggest points of sale don't do a whole lot to drive it. Sure there's the "extras", but there's nothing on it relevant to the two big shows and nothing "can't miss" beyond the PPV's. Airing Raw's overrun live would be a start...
If I remember correctly , the few times they tried something like this back in the first year or so of the Network, they really didn't get too many viewers. Granted, they never did a direct cliffhanger, but hopefully they just own't try.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 9th, '18, 09:45

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 9th, '18, 08:59
Bob-O wrote: Nov 9th, '18, 07:21

If I remember correctly , the few times they tried something like this back in the first year or so of the Network, they really didn't get too many viewers. Granted, they never did a direct cliffhanger, but hopefully they just own't try.
this is the same reason TalkingSmack was cancelled if i remember correctly.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 9th, '18, 10:33

Too Bob-O and I's points...it's probably legitimately almost 2 hours of commercials you're not seeing on Hulu as well. I mean, you might miss Riott Squad, and Hinder Mahal, Gable and Roode, and whatever Elias is doing one week maybe...but that's not 1/30 lol....