WWE issues statement following suspected murder of Saudi journalist

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

WWE issues statement following suspected murder of Saudi journalist

Post by cero2k » Oct 11th, '18, 19:40

Source: f4wonline.com

Ahead of their scheduled return to Saudi Arabia, WWE has issued a statement concerning the suspected murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
“We are currently monitoring the situation,"

WWE said in a statement today.

Khashoggi, a Saudi journalist and columnist for the Washington Post who was a prominent critic of the Saudi government, disappeared and is believed to have been killed after entering Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul, Turkey on October 2 to obtain paperwork that he needed in order to marry his fiancee. The New York Times reported that Turkish security officials have concluded that Khashoggi was assassinated "on orders from the highest levels of the royal court." Saudi officials have denied the allegations.

WWE Crown Jewel is set to take place at King Saud University Stadium in Riyadh on Friday, November 2. Following April's Greatest Royal Rumble, this will be the second event in WWE's 10-year agreement with the Saudi General Sports Authority.

Bob-O

Re: WWE issues statement following suspected murder of Saudi journalist

Post by Bob-O » Oct 14th, '18, 08:25

After their "we're monitoring the situation" statement, and much political pressure, WWE has apparently positioned themselves to execute a Plan B if necessary.

They're still advertising the date, but removed any mention of the location and the option to buy tickets.

I've also read that the talent is pretty much unanimous on not wanting to go despite the payday, but "the office" is still very intent on holding the show.

A very messed up situation to say the least.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 14th, '18, 09:25

Bob-O wrote: Oct 14th, '18, 08:25

I've also read that the talent is pretty much unanimous on not wanting to go despite the payday, but "the office" is still very intent on holding the show.

A very messed up situation to say the least.
if they were really unanimous, they would boycott, but we all know they're all sheep for what the company wants. I just think WWE is gonna find a way to do this, it's too much money for them to lose, it's blood money and they don't care.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 14th, '18, 13:47

UPDATE:

Update --

WWE has noted that Crown Jewel should be listed on their schedule.

Original --

The Crown Jewel event on November 2 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia has been removed from the WWE website's calendar of events.

At this point WWE has not made a statement related to the show, but it was known dating back a few days that backup ideas were being talked about in the event such a decision was forced.

The event page for Crown Jewel is still up on WWE.com, though references to Saudi Arabia have been removed.

There are a number of huge ramifications of the show not taking place, if that is even the case, as perhaps it was just removed until a final decision is made. They were likely to have tomorrow as a soft deadline as they would either be promoting the show hard on television Monday or having to go with whatever new plan was in place. The Daily Beast had mentioned an idea of doing a third show in Manchester, England on November 4, since they are already taping shows on November 5 and November 6, and the arena doesn't have a date on the Sunday. It would give the United Kingdom its first worldwide-airing pay-per-view since 1992.

But there are many key questions, both regarding the show and future of the deal with Saudi Arabia.

Will Cooling and I had a detailed discussion on Friday's Wrestling Observer Radio regarding issues that the company is facing from a business, public relations, and matches announced standpoint.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Oct 16th, '18, 08:25

from the New York Post
Multiple members of the WWE talent roster told Sports Illustrated that they felt uncomfortable with the idea of having to entertain the Saudis following the disappearance and alleged murder of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi.

The country’s “poor record with human rights” was also cited as a reason for not wanting to step inside the squared circle.

Despite the unrest, WWE appears to be sticking to its guns.

“As always, we maintain an open line of communication with our performers as we continue to monitor the situation,” the company said in a statement to The Post on Monday.
The general consensus in the locker being that unless somebody like Cena says something nothing will be done.

I'm finding "poor record with human rights" a little comical from behind my laptop screen, coming from guys that are treated oh-so well by their employer. Protest on, private contractors...

But hey, I'll leave Vince alone. The XFL guys will have health insurance, proving he takes care of employees.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 16th, '18, 08:32

And the "poor human rights record" didn't stop anyone last time, either.
I bet Zayn and Dar and Mustafa Ali and all of the women are secretly happy that they don't have to go.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Oct 17th, '18, 11:23

This is so good

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Oct 17th, '18, 22:39

Serujuunin wrote: Oct 17th, '18, 11:23
This is so good
On the surface it's hilarious, but what a can of worms...

The mirror is a scary thing down here, sister...

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Oct 18th, '18, 23:27

Bob-O wrote: Oct 17th, '18, 22:39
Serujuunin wrote: Oct 17th, '18, 11:23
This is so good
On the surface it's hilarious, but what a can of worms...

The mirror is a scary thing down here, sister...
Oh I know, but dealing with mental illness has taught me that one of the best ways of coping is to laugh at yourself. So that’s what I do :P

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 19th, '18, 10:02

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » Oct 20th, '18, 01:04

So Saudi Arabia admit he died in the embassy after “a fight broke out”.

Donald Trump finds this plausible and wants to put the thing to bed.

Why was it hidden and covered for so long?

This is not the place for politics.

But Vince and Donald are friends. Looks like the show will go ahead.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 20th, '18, 18:49

XIV wrote: Oct 20th, '18, 01:04 So Saudi Arabia admit he died in the embassy after “a fight broke out”.

Donald Trump finds this plausible and wants to put the thing to bed.

Why was it hidden and covered for so long?

This is not the place for politics.

But Vince and Donald are friends. Looks like the show will go ahead.
Actually, things I've heard have the street running the other way. The whole reason that Saudis want to give WWE so much money is because they think Vince & Linda have pull with Trump.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 22nd, '18, 20:22

From Dave Meltzer:
As has been noted already, tickets for Crown Jewel in Saudi Arabia were to go on sale Friday. They did not. The website in Saudi Arabia handling the tickets told people who asked that WWE has not confirmed to them that the show will go on. (thanks to Nawaf Zubari)

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 22nd, '18, 22:48

a rumor started today that Cena and Dragon are trying to pull out of the show. Cena definitely can't afford it with his barely infant acting career

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Oct 22nd, '18, 22:55

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 22nd, '18, 20:22 From Dave Meltzer:
As has been noted already, tickets for Crown Jewel in Saudi Arabia were to go on sale Friday. They did not. The website in Saudi Arabia handling the tickets told people who asked that WWE has not confirmed to them that the show will go on. (thanks to Nawaf Zubari)
Interesting...

From where WWE sits, given the lesser of two evils, I'm sure the show goes on. The dragging of the feet being their damage control. As soon as tickets go on sale, as soon as the show is confirmed, they're in for it from that point all the way up to the opening bell. Close that window as far as you can without completely shutting it, then flip the narrative to "past the point of no return" and "it wouldn't be doing those fans right" and blah blah blah... deal with the backlash for a week or two, and move on until next time... "Listen Prince, seriously... if you want us to come back out, you can not... CAN NOT murder anyone within 90 days of the show. We can't keep doing this, man... I want it in writing. No, not in blood, just normal writing."

I'm wondering what the Plan B is though. I mean, they have to have one at this point. IIRC, they're in England immediately prior to that...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 22nd, '18, 22:57

cero2k wrote: Oct 22nd, '18, 22:48 a rumor started today that Cena and Dragon are trying to pull out of the show. Cena definitely can't afford it with his barely infant acting career
I had heard Cena's name but not Dragon's. There was also a rumor over the weekend that some of the people who missed this weekend's house shows were faking or exaggerating injuries to not have to go (particularly Roman and Rey, although with Roman it's pretty clearly unrelated at this point).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Oct 22nd, '18, 23:01

cero2k wrote: Oct 22nd, '18, 22:48 a rumor started today that Cena and Dragon are trying to pull out of the show. Cena definitely can't afford it with his barely infant acting career
I saw that too. Said rumor mentioned Roman being sick too, so there might be something to it.

While Cena can't afford it, WWE can't really afford it either.

DB though I think is pretty cool, as he's made very clear, he's more than happy to go work someplace else.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Oct 23rd, '18, 14:14

Hmmm...........

This with Meltzer saying Vince's original stance was to hold the show unless Trump himself told him not to, but Vince is now getting pressure from "outside sources" not to go. I'm guessing either sponsors or Fox...

Writers were originally told Cena wasn't going and to figure something out, but Cena was still being advertised as of Monday, so the feeling is that if they relocate Cena will be back on board.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 23rd, '18, 14:49

I wonder if they'll add a women's match now