BRM Reviews the 10/9/2018 Smackdown (GREAT!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 10/9/2018 Smackdown (GREAT!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 9th, '18, 23:23

WWE WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH IN WHICH THE TITLE CAN CHANGE HANDS ON A DQ: Becky Lynch(c) vs. Charlotte Flair- 8/10
No entrances for either woman. They were both in the ring with the referee holding up the belt as we went on the air. They went over twenty-three minutes of what would have been remembered as a major Smackdown moment if they had gone about five more and had a clean finish, but instead they brawled to a double count-out. They kept brawling afterwards and Charlotte speared Becky through the LED wall. Whatever type of gimmick match these two are building up to (I Quit or Last Woman Standing seem best to me), it NEEDS to be the main event of Evolution.

WWE WORLD CUP QUALIFYING MATCH: Samoa Joe vs. Jeff Hardy- 5/10
Joe’s knee is heavily taped up after Super Show-Down. Jeff worked over the knee and won by referee stoppage. This is such an un-WWE finish.

They’re now flat-out admitting that this Evolution reunion as a celebration of SD is total BS by telling us that is the first time all four guys will be on SD at the same time.

PAIGE ANNOUNCES BECKY VS. CHARLOTTE AT EVOLUTION- The belt is on the line, and it’s Last Woman Standing. Cool.

MIZ TV WITH SPECIAL GUESTS AJ STYLES & DANIEL BRYAN- AWESOME!
The two babyfaces had some fun at Miz’s expense, but then started to cut promos on each other building up the importance of being the WWE World Heavyweight Champion. Miz finally got fed up and cut an awesome promo on both of them and demanding the next title shot after Crown Jewel, no matter which one of them leaves Saudi Arabia as the WWE World Heavyweight Champion.

AJ STYLES vs. SHELTON BENJAMIN- 6.25/10
Both Daniel Bryan and The Miz did guest commentary for this match. They bickered, but in a manner that wasn’t obnoxious. The match was fine for the time it got.

ONE NIGHT IN MILWAUKEE, PART 2-
As expected, it’s not what it looked like. Lana’s “I want you” from last week was followed up by “to know how much Rusev and I appreciate what you have done for his career.” Aiden said that they both mean a lot to him and put his arm on Lana’s, then paused the tape.
Aiden then called Rusev out and said that he wouldn’t play the rest of the tape if Rusev dumped Lana and reformed their tag team. Rusev called Aiden’s bluff and told him to play the rest of the tape. Aiden said he couldn’t because “this is a family show” and said that no man should ever have to see his wife cheating on him.
Lana says that if Aiden won’t play the video than she will. Aiden insists this is impossible but Lana claims that she hacked Aiden’s phone or something, and that his password was “I Heart Rusev” (note to self: change forum password). Why should anyone need to hack anything? I figured the way they got the video up on the Tron was that Aiden gave it to the production crew. If he is ChromeCasting it to the Tron or something then shouldn’t he have his phone out?
Aiden got very nervous as Lana had the video played, and Lana rejected Aiden’s advances and left, as Aiden stammered that he was only going in for a hug. So the mystery is wrapped up… and Aiden told Lana “the offer is still on the table. So when you get tired of those boring Rusev days, come treat yourself to an Aiden night.” This was a WONDERFUL heel line due to its ability to simultaneously be extremely dorky and extremely douchy.
Rusev charged at Aiden but Aiden managed to get away. Corey Graves, being excellent, said that Aiden deserved the beating he almost got not for lying and trying to break up Rusev & Lana’s marriage, but “for baiting and switching all of us.”

REY MYSTERIO IS BACK NEXT WEEK… AND HE’S FACING NAKAMURA IN A WWE WORLD CUP QUALIFIER!

WWE WORLD CUP QUALIFYING MATCH: Randy Orton vs. Big Show- 3.75/10
This was pretty boring, and Big Show losing in his first match back almost felt silly.

A GREAT episode of Smackdown. Things are moving along nicely, they did with the fallout of Super Show-Down very well, and started the build to both Evolution and Crown Jewel, and that first hour and fifteen minutes in particular gave us some GREAT stuff.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/9/2018 Smackdown (GREAT!)

Post by cero2k » Oct 10th, '18, 08:43

Cena, Angle, Orton, and Hardy, i'm still waiting for someone to put the 'world' in World Cup

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 10th, '18, 11:47

cero2k wrote: Oct 10th, '18, 08:43 Cena, Angle, Orton, and Hardy, i'm still waiting for someone to put the 'world' in World Cup
You'll get your wish next week. Rey is quasi-Mexican and Nak is Japanese
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Oct 10th, '18, 12:19

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 9th, '18, 23:23 WWE WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH IN WHICH THE TITLE CAN CHANGE HANDS ON A DQ: Becky Lynch(c) vs. Charlotte Flair- 8/10
No entrances for either woman. They were both in the ring with the referee holding up the belt as we went on the air. They went over twenty-three minutes of what would have been remembered as a major Smackdown moment if they had gone about five more and had a clean finish, but instead they brawled to a double count-out. They kept brawling afterwards and Charlotte speared Becky through the LED wall. Whatever type of gimmick match these two are building up to (I Quit or Last Woman Standing seem best to me), it NEEDS to be the main event of Evolution.
Agreed, but I'm really afraid they're going to give it to Rousey.
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 9th, '18, 23:23 WWE WORLD CUP QUALIFYING MATCH: Randy Orton vs. Big Show- 3.75/10
This was pretty boring, and Big Show losing in his first match back almost felt silly
Given Cena and Angle were already in, I was double surprised that they rolled out Big Show to put Orton over. The tournament is shaping up with a certain 2000's theme that Orton fits, but suits Show better. My mind will be TRIPLE blown if Nak goes over Mysterio. Although, what a nice rub that'd be for Nakamura to be in that company...

As a side note/question...
A lot of this show, especially when talking about Crown Jewel, sounded oddly scripted. I mean, it usually sounds scripted, but this was different. Very simple words being used... as if it'd been written with the intention of translating to Arabic...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 10th, '18, 16:12

Bob-O wrote: Oct 10th, '18, 12:19
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 9th, '18, 23:23 WWE WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH IN WHICH THE TITLE CAN CHANGE HANDS ON A DQ: Becky Lynch(c) vs. Charlotte Flair- 8/10
Agreed, but I'm really afraid they're going to give it to Rousey.
I'm pretty much certain they are, with this and the Alexa & Mickie vs. Trish & Lita match fighting it out for second from the top. But it's definitely the wrong move from every single perspective. Even from a casual star-power drawing perspective, I just can't imagine that there are people out there who would sign up for the WWE Network just to see Nikki vs. Ronda and not want be willing to sit through one final title match after it.
Bob-O wrote: Oct 10th, '18, 12:19
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 9th, '18, 23:23 WWE WORLD CUP QUALIFYING MATCH: Randy Orton vs. Big Show- 3.75/10
This was pretty boring, and Big Show losing in his first match back almost felt silly
Given Cena and Angle were already in, I was double surprised that they rolled out Big Show to put Orton over. The tournament is shaping up with a certain 2000's theme that Orton fits, but suits Show better. My mind will be TRIPLE blown if Nak goes over Mysterio. Although, what a nice rub that'd be for Nakamura to be in that company...

Rey over Nakamura also immediately sets up Rey challenging for a title he has never held before, so that definitely makes the most sense to me. Then they can stick the eventually Nakamura vs. Dillinger title match on the Saudi show (unless they've decided it's better to keep the US Title off of the show entirely).
Bob-O wrote: Oct 10th, '18, 12:19 As a side note/question...
A lot of this show, especially when talking about Crown Jewel, sounded oddly scripted. I mean, it usually sounds scripted, but this was different. Very simple words being used... as if it'd been written with the intention of translating to Arabic...
I didn't notice it for most of the show, but video packages for the guys in the tournament definitely seemed aimed at introducing the characters to a new audience, which is not the sort of thing they would normally do with guys of that magnitude, and especially guys like Orton and Jeff who have been on TV for the past few months.

That being said, I did some brief research into this, and WWE programming/the WWE Network is available in just about every Arab country, but as a premium channel, so translating these shows into Arabic (assuming they aren't doing that already for these broadcasts, although they don't have an Arabic announce team so who knows) really wouldn't help them unless they were also able to change their distribution venue (in Saudi Arabia, anyway) to something cheaper. The only country in the Middle Eastern where WWE appears to be on a basic cable package is Israel, and although it has been over a decade since I watched any WWE programming in Israel, if my memory serves me correctly, they just aired the shows in English, and without subtitles into Hebrew, Arabic, Russian, or anything else.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 10th, '18, 16:49

I can't see Charlotte vs Becky closing the first ever women's PPV simply because I expect a shitty finish, I don't see Charlotte regaining the title, nor I see Becky standing tall at the end for the photo OP, so they're likely gonna have a finish that makes Charlotte look strong, but dead.

First ever women's PPV should close with a woman standing strong in the ring/ramp celebrating if not for the usual Sasha Banks/Charlotte 'we hate each other but we're gonna cry and hug because feelings are bigger than kayfabe' finish

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 10th, '18, 19:56

cero2k wrote: Oct 10th, '18, 16:49 I can't see Charlotte vs Becky closing the first ever women's PPV simply because I expect a shitty finish, I don't see Charlotte regaining the title, nor I see Becky standing tall at the end for the photo OP, so they're likely gonna have a finish that makes Charlotte look strong, but dead.

First ever women's PPV should close with a woman standing strong in the ring/ramp celebrating if not for the usual Sasha Banks/Charlotte 'we hate each other but we're gonna cry and hug because feelings are bigger than kayfabe' finish
But you can't really get that out of Rousey vs. Nikki, either. MAYBE you could get it out of the Trish & Lita vs. Mickie & Alexa match (they could use the "Trish is Alexa's childhood heroine" thing to have Trish turn Alexa babyface [by which I mean create anemotional change in Alexa, not "turn Alexa babyface" as in just doing something to make the crowd cheer her] by showing her respect at the end), but that would require turning Alexa babyface to make it work, which they shouldn't do.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 16th, '18, 20:48

It's official. World Cup only has Americans. I love this company

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 16th, '18, 21:15

cero2k wrote: Oct 16th, '18, 20:48 It's official. World Cup only has Americans. I love this company
Well... they won the qualifiers. Therefore they are the best.

Also, booking-wise, I think the right finish here is Miz cheating to win in the finals. He can then claim that he is the "best in the world" and therefore deserving of the title shot against whoever wins the Bryan/AJ match (which should be Bryan).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 16th, '18, 22:22

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 16th, '18, 21:15
cero2k wrote: Oct 16th, '18, 20:48 It's official. World Cup only has Americans. I love this company

Also, booking-wise, I think the right finish here is Miz cheating to win in the finals. He can then claim that he is the "best in the world" and therefore deserving of the title shot against whoever wins the Bryan/AJ match (which should be Bryan).
nah, the tournament is for the Best in the World, so obviously Cena wins and we get Cena vs Punk V. Jokes aside, I think that if the Crown Jewel is indeed moved somewhere else, they could afford to give this to a heel and make something out of it

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 16th, '18, 22:35

cero2k wrote: Oct 16th, '18, 22:22

nah, the tournament is for the Best in the World, so obviously Cena wins and we get Cena vs Punk V. J
Excuse me, sir. The "Best in the World" is not CM Punk. The "Best in the World" is the American Dragon.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 19th, '18, 07:24

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 16th, '18, 22:35
cero2k wrote: Oct 16th, '18, 22:22

nah, the tournament is for the Best in the World, so obviously Cena wins and we get Cena vs Punk V. J
Excuse me, sir. The "Best in the World" is not CM Punk. The "Best in the World" is the American Dragon.
No. Excuse ME, you stupid idiots...Chris Jericho, is "The best in the world at what he does."...

And do you know what happens when you say someone else is instead???
When they come, they'll come at what you love.