BRM Reviews the 9/11/2018 Smackdown

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 9/11/2018 Smackdown

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 12th, '18, 19:00

JEFF HARDY PROMO- excellent, and in a way only Jeff Hardy could make work.

JEFF HARDY vs. SHINSUKE NAKAMURA- 7.5/10
These two were having a GREAT match… and then Randy Orton ran in for the frustrating DQ. Orton beat Jeff up with a chair after the match to build up to their Hell in a Cell Match this Sunday… but then Jeff just made a comeback and beat Randy up with the chair and hit him with the Swanton Bomb. If I just saw the babyface get his revenge on the heel then why do I need to watch the PPV match?

KAYLA BRAXTON INTERVIEWS THE MIZ & MARYSE- Maryse was good, Miz was acceptable

AJ STYLES PROMO FROM EARLIER TODAY- fine. They had AJ sitting on the ring steps in the empty arena. It was a cool setting for the promo. Much better than random backstage areas.

KAYLA BRAXTON INTERVIEWS CHARLOTTE FLAIR- Kayla wants to know why Charlotte specifically requested to wrestle Sonya Deville tonight. Charlotte said that Becky claimed that she doesn’t give people opportunities so Charlotte is going to give an up-and-coming competitor like Sonya an opportunity tonight, even though she has a big title defense against Becky in just six days. Or at least that’s what Charlotte should have said. Instead she just spouted off a bunch of stuff about Becky and competition and opportunities and didn’t really say anything about Sonya at all.

CHARLOTTE FLAIR vs. SONYA DEVILLE (w/Mandy Rose)- 4.25/10
Charlotte wins, but Sonya gets enough in to not totally embarrass herself.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- The moment they focused on Charlotte shaking hands and giving high-fives to all of the fans at ringside you knew what was coming, but they still did an EXCELLENT job of disguising Becky so you didn’t know when the attack would be coming.

SAMOA JOE PROMO- More proof that Joe can make ANYTHING WWE gives him work, no matter how stupid it would sound coming out of anyone else’s mouth. This was AWESOME.

KAYLA BRAXTON INTERVIEWS BECKY LYNCH- Becky did an excellent job of getting over how focused she is on winning the title.

KOFI WAS BEING AN OBNOXIOUS GOOFBALL BACKSTAGE- bad
It is worth noting, though, that we are well over an hour into the show and this is the first thing they have done that I found annoying or pointless.

#1 CONTENDERSHIP MATCH: Sheamus & Cesaro vs. Aiden English & Rusev (w/Lana)- 6.5/10
New Day were on commentary at their own commentary table. They were a lot less obnoxious than I expected. English took a Brogue Kick for Rusev, allowing Rusev to hit Sheamus with a Matchka Kick and get the win. Rusev & English had a short shouting match with New Day after the match.

R-TRUTH (w/Carmella) vs. ANDRADE “CIEN” ALMAS (w/Zelina Vega)- 4/10
Truth and Carmella are a perfectly functional team all of a sudden. Almas won via roll-up with a handful of tights.

KAYLA BRAXTON INTERVIEWS ASUKA- very bad.
Also, Naomi showed up. Asuka made fun of the IIconics’ accent. Then Naomi let everyone know she approved of Asuka by saying “I like your attitude. You’ve got sass, and you definitely feel the glow.” This was a combination of “Vince & Dunn don’t like funny accents” and terrible WWE scripting. The only solace I can take in this is the theoretical possibility that Asuka knows that this is all so horribly stupid and is being so over the top to try to be funny in that sort of meta way where she is purposely making it horrendous because doing it well just isn’t possible.

MIXED MATCH CHALLENGE PROMOS- Alexa said that after she and Braun beat Nattie & Owens, they are going to “go all the way.” I don’t think Braun will even be able to fit.

BRIE BELLA (w/Daniel Bryan) vs. MARYSE (w/The Miz)- DUD!
Neither woman has wrestled very much in several years… and yet here they are in the main event because their husbands are feuding. Hooray for the Divas’ Revolution! Maryse stalled for a while, then she and Miz tried to walk out of the match but Brie dragged Maryse back down to the ring and got some shots in. Miz then distracted Bryan, which then distracted Brie, allowing Maryse to hit a superkick for a nearfall. Brie got the Yes Lock but Miz pulled her out of the ring for the DQ. Bryan then went after Miz until we got a spot where Miz knocked Bryan off the apron and onto Brie. The Mizanins then beat the Bryans up for a bit, comebacks happened, etc., and the babyfaces wound up on top. Like in the Hardy vs. Orton match, this kills the heat, and this feud in particular has had A LOT more contact between the two teams than their should have been in a feud with strong babyfaces trying to get their revenge on a pair of chickensh*t heels.

I started watching Smackdown right after I finished Raw. I kid you not when I say it took me SEVEN HOURS to get through that wretched show. I was completely drained and absolutely DREADING having to watch Smackdown, but didn’t want to fall behind so I made the decision to chug through it… and despite the fact that there was stuff I thought was a mistake to do on the go-home show and stuff like that horrendous Naomi and Asuka promo, this was an extremely enjoyable show. By the time the Hardy vs. Nakamura match half way over, my bad mood had completely evaporated and this turned out to be a good wrestling show. I often don’t agree with the booking decisions on Smackdown, but at least you can always see what they’re building to and how they think each finish is advancing the story. Compare that to Raw’s aimless flailing and water-treading, and the fact that both shows are booked by the same company seems utterly inconceivable.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 9/11/2018 Smackdown

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 13th, '18, 13:11

That Samoa Joe story was fuckin' ridiculous lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 13th, '18, 13:14

KILLdozer wrote: Sep 13th, '18, 13:11 That Samoa Joe story was fuckin' ridiculous lol.
that fable was better booked than the actual show

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 13th, '18, 13:19

Not hard when you have the return of Kingston's dumbass idiot alter ego.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.