2018 Mae Young Classic Review Thread

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

2018 Mae Young Classic Review Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 6th, '18, 21:41

They got a grand total of four words into the opening video package before hearing the words “made history.” And the first live words we here after being welcomed to the show are Michael Cole telling us how we are “making history” tonight by having two women in the booth for the whole show for the first time ever. It baffles me that they think that there are people out there who could possibly care about that. The first woman on a commentary team in company history is a big deal. The first time you go with two women and one man is not.

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC FIRST ROUND MATCH: Tegan Nox vs. Zatara- 6.5/10
A fine start to the tournament, with Zatara working over Tegan’s oft-injured knee. Tegan’s selling was excellent.

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC FIRST ROUND MATCH: Rhea Ripley vs. MJ Jenkins- 5/10
They kept claiming that there was a physical similarity between Rhea Ripley and Charlotte, but I don’t see it at all. This was a basic big heel vs. smaller babyface match. It dragged on for longer than it needed to.

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC FIRST ROUND MATCH: Vanessa Kraven vs. Lacey Lane- 6.5/10
The commentary team actually acknowledged a botch. I was not expecting that. I was also not expecting Lane to win but she did. This was an excellent big-woman vs. little-woman match, and Lane’s underdog victory here instantly turns her into something of, as Cole put it “a Cinderella story” favorite for us to cheer for.

NATTIE INTERVIEW- why are we wasting time with this?

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC FIRST ROUND MATCH: Meiko Satomura vs. Killer Kelly- 6.75/10
The final WCW hold-out makes her WWE debut!
I love how Meiko’s excuse for losing when she was in WCW that she didn’t have a finisher yet. But even more than that, I love the fact that Killer Kelly is a Kane fan.
On commentary for this match, Renee Young mentioned New Japan by name. I did not see that coming. Then, a few sentences later, Renee specifically avoided name-dropping wXw. What WWE will and won’t let their announcers say often baffles me.
The match was good for the time it got. The outcome made me sad.

A decent opening show for the 2018 Mae Young Classic. The wrestling was good, with Lacey Lane instantly becoming a favorite of mine for this tournament, but my big takeaway from this show is that Beth Phoenix needs to do commentary more often because she was pretty darn great tonight.
If I may pick one nit, though: The wrestling celebrities they showed in the crowd tonight were Ember Moon, Alexa Bliss!, Lio Rush, Tye Dillinger, and Funaki. Could they not get, like, Kairi Sane or someone who actually had something to do with the Mae Young Classic?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: 2018 Mae Young Classic Review Thread

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 6th, '18, 21:58

Lacey Lane? Oh, you mean, Ember Moon Jr?

I actually thought this whole thing was gonna be up at once...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Sep 7th, '18, 08:48

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 6th, '18, 21:41
If I may pick one nit, though: The wrestling celebrities they showed in the crowd tonight were Ember Moon, Alexa Bliss!, Lio Rush, Tye Dillinger, and Funaki. Could they not get, like, Kairi Sane or someone who actually had something to do with the Mae Young Classic?
Clearly they're going to drudge them out for the semi-finals so that they can be seen applauding one of the potential winners.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 12th, '18, 23:10

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC FIRST ROUND MATCH: Priscilla Kelly vs. Deonna Purrazzo- 4.5/10
I do not believe for one second that this Priscilla Kelly is the same person as the identical-looking woman I watch on the indies. Renee Young claimed that Priscilla Kelly “got into wrestling because she thought it was a way of creating equality. That is VASTLY different from the story Lenny Leonard told me in FIP two months ago, and when you put Lenny Leonard up against a WWE announcer, I’m going to believe Lenny every single time.
They worked their respective body parts to set up their respective submission hold of choice. Deonna won.

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC FIRST ROUND MATCH: Zeuxis vs. Ariel Monroe- 6/10
None of the announcers seemed to understand that a fishhook is illegal (even former wrestler Beth Phoenix).
This was a very fun personality clash with some good spots as well. Ariel Monroe needs to be signed immediately.

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC FIRST ROUND MATCH: Kacy Catanzaro vs. Reina Gonzalez- 7/10
Michael Cole literally said “professional wrestler.” TWICE. I might be overrating this a bit, but I thought this was a fantastic small babyface vs. big mean heel match. There has been quite a bit of hype around Catanzaro, and after watching this match I am convinced that you should believe all of it.

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC FIRST ROUND MATCH: Mercedes Martinez vs. Ashley Rayne- 6.5/10
Madison Rayne’s ringnames finally merge. They also showed pictures of her in TNA. This show is blowing my mind. She also came off completely differently than the woman I have been watching for the past decade. It was very weird.
Beth Phoenix claimed that this was a “dream match.” I have never once seen or heard anyone express any sort of desire to see this match. Renee mentioned Rayne’s “husband, Josh” without giving his last name or doing anything that would indicate that he had worked for WWE for TWELVE YEARS.

I have now watched all eight hours of weekly WWE TV in one day. I am going to bed now in the hopes of restoring some of my sanity.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 13th, '18, 09:37

Deonna Purazo reminds me of a much more talented Brie Bella lol.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 13th, '18, 09:52

KILLdozer wrote: Sep 13th, '18, 09:37 Deonna Purazo reminds me of a much more talented Brie Bella lol.
like physically? i'm trying to see it

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 13th, '18, 09:58

cero2k wrote: Sep 13th, '18, 09:52
KILLdozer wrote: Sep 13th, '18, 09:37 Deonna Purazo reminds me of a much more talented Brie Bella lol.
like physically? i'm trying to see it
Yeah, the height, the hair, size, and the red attire, all the way down to the tank and long tights.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 21st, '18, 09:35

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC FIRST ROUND MATCH: Kaitlyn vs. Kavita Devi- 4.75/10
There is definitely something to this Kaitlyn story that makes you want to see her go far.

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC FIRST ROUND MATCH: Toni Storm vs. Jinny- 6.5/10
Why are they doing the tournament finals as a first-round match? These two only got seven minutes, but the match was GREAT for the time it got.

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC FIRST ROUND MATCH: Xia Li vs. Karen Q- 6.25/10
Holy crap was that Karen Q video package painfully generic. They showed Johnny and Candice in the crowd… and Michael Cole referred to them as “Mr. & Mrs. Johnny Wrestling.” So much for the Diva’s/Women’s R/Evolution. Furthering this, when Xia Li came out, Michael Cole and Renee Young were upset when Xia did not cook them food and bring it to them.
All that anyone will remember from this match is the opening minute or so, which was AWESOME. Not that the rest of it was bad, but that beginning blew it away. That being said, based on Karen’s actions, I was not happy with them doing the friendly respect thing after the match.

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC FIRST ROUND MATCH: Mia Yim vs. Allysin Kay- 7.5/10
The video package did a good job of setting up the history between these two. Shelton Benjamin was in the crowd and apparently “calls himself ‘The Mia Yim Sign Guy.’” Then why doesn’t he have any signs?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 21st, '18, 10:24

Cole called her "Sienna The Savage" at some point lol. The amount of talk about the evolution and revolution was ridiculous. He even said Kaitlyn was a part of it, which kinda seems impossible as that was kayfabe years before it became a thing.

Though you're wrong about the Xia Li thing. She said she was gonna cook. She didn't lol. I'd be furious myself lol. Man or women. Had nothing to do with what you're making it out to be lol.

I'm still kinda surprised by how completely different Kaitlyn looks. She's literally like a different person. Kavita Devi I could see getting signed and having a lasting spot, and not just because "ohohoho ahahahahah first Indian woman in WWE ever, groundbreaking and revolutionary Hahahahaha!"

I kinda wanted to see how Storm would get out of that hold where Jimmy had her arms and legs locked up...but then she just...freed one arm and got the rope lol.

Am I the only one who felt the post match between Kaye and Yim felt lacking since they put so much talk into their history and story?

Also, I actually have a really hard time telling apart the women on commentary at times.

Renee always says "WHAT?!?!" and Beth Phoenix talks about the moves and what they do and why and how right?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 22nd, '18, 20:45

KILLdozer wrote: Sep 21st, '18, 10:24

I'm still kinda surprised by how completely different Kaitlyn looks. She's literally like a different person. Kavita Devi I could see getting signed and having a lasting spot, and not just because "ohohoho ahahahahah first Indian woman in WWE ever, groundbreaking and revolutionary Hahahahaha!"
I'm pretty sure she's already signed. If I remember correctly, she was relatively impressive last year as well.

Am I the only one who felt the post match between Kaye and Yim felt lacking since they put so much talk into their history and story?
I felt this way a bit, too

Also, I actually have a really hard time telling apart the women on commentary at times.
You're not the only one who has been saying this, and I do think it is becoming a bit of a problem.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 23rd, '18, 10:39

I mean yeah though...like I said...Renee is the one that always says "WHAAAATTT?!" after something unique, big, or innovative, so there's that right? Lol.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 23rd, '18, 14:05

They're kinda like Saxton and Phillips...except it's different from the fact that both of the aforementioned usually say so much bad blatant garbage it's hard to make any decisiveness between the two just because you never know who's gonna say what.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 28th, '18, 01:34

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC FIRST ROUND MATCH: Hiroyo Matsumoto vs. Rachel Evers- 5.5/10
Matsumoto has lots of personality. I was love it if WWE signed her.

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC FIRST ROUND MATCH: Jessica Elaban vs. Taynara Conti- 4/10
Jessie Elaban is completely impossible to take seriously. She comes off as a cute chick who has fun playing pro wrestler rather than actually being a pro wrestler. The contrast between her and Conti is striking. Fortunately, her “bubbly personality” was also a perfect contrast to the intense Conti, who would keep getting more and more frustrated as time went on. By the end of the match, I fully believed that Conti wanted to knock or choke Elaban unconscious instead of just beating her.
-
2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC FIRST ROUND MATCH: Isla Dawn vs. Nicole Matthews- 6.25/10
Dawn is so Scottish that WWE decided it was necessary to subtitle her video even though she was speaking English. That made me giggle. The match was good. Nicole Matthews won, meaning I won’t have the chance to make any Christine O’Donnell jokes about Isla Dawn in future reviews.

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC FIRST ROUND MATCH: Xia Brookside vs. Io Shirai- 3/10
This only went 3:16 (yes, really) so this is the best rating I can give it in good conscience. They did some cool stuff and then it was over. After they made such a big deal about Robbie Brookside having never seen his daughter wrestle until tonight, to have her lose in three minutes felt pathetically anticlimactic.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 28th, '18, 10:08

Just started the first match of the latest episode and I'm already hearing this "onefall!" Nonsense...which one of your vanilla midgets is responsible for this shit again?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 28th, '18, 11:57

KILLdozer wrote: Sep 28th, '18, 10:08 Just started the first match of the latest episode and I'm already hearing this "onefall!" Nonsense...which one of your vanilla midgets is responsible for this shit again?
None. It's the British fans.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 28th, '18, 13:00

At this point I feel like there's actually just one woman's announcer and they're acting like there's actually two instead lol.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 5th, '18, 09:49

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC SECOND ROUND MATCH: Toni Storm vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto- 6.5/10
Once again the MTC matches are feeling very limited by time, even in the second round. I really think insisting on sticking to four an episode was a mistake (yes, I know they need the finals set by Evolution, but they could have alleviated this by starting earlier).

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC SECOND ROUND MATCH: Kacy Catanzaro vs. Rhea Ripley- 5.25/10
This was another big vs. small match and they told that story well. Mechanically, this did not go smoothly at times, but Catanzaro’s charisma is undeniable. I would have liked to see her win this match and be set up as something of a giant-killer before losing in the next round, but it was not to be. At least they put her over by having her earn big bully Rhea’s respect.

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC SECOND ROUND MATCH: Lacey Lane vs. Taynara Conti- 4/10
I like the Lacey Lane “Cinderella story” but I kind of feel bad for Conti, as she seems to have a lot of potential but always gets treated like something of a jobber any time she is on TV. Also, the finish could have looked better.

2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC SECOND ROUND MATCH: Meiko Satamura vs. Mercedes Martinez- 7.5/10

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 5th, '18, 10:54

Absolutely about Conti. What is their deal with her? Gee I'm so glad we get to see more of Ember Moon Jr., btw...

I'd say, Hiroyo, Catanzaro, and Taynara Conti are the ones to watch.

I'm surprised Mercedes isn't actually signed either.
Last edited by KILLdozer on Oct 5th, '18, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 5th, '18, 10:56

KILLdozer wrote: Oct 5th, '18, 10:54
Hidden text.

Rhea Ripley...I love how they just completely ignored that she is (I'm guessing she currently still is) UK women's champion and the whole entire thing that comes with rhat said fact lol.
DUDE! SPOILERS! They ignored it because it hasn't aired yet (and also probably hadn't even happened yet when this was taped)!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 5th, '18, 11:00

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 5th, '18, 10:56
KILLdozer wrote: Oct 5th, '18, 10:54
Hidden text.

Rhea Ripley...I love how they just completely ignored that she is (I'm guessing she currently still is) UK women's champion and the whole entire thing that comes with rhat said fact lol.
DUDE! SPOILERS! They ignored it because it hasn't aired yet (and also probably hadn't even happened yet when this was taped)!
Oh yeah, whoops lol. I completely forgot about that it under spoilers when I actually posted about it in the first place. Makes my original post invalid I suppose. I figured everyone knew about it lol.