BRM Reviews the 8/29/2018 NXT (really fun!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 8/29/2018 NXT (really fun!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 30th, '18, 00:10

CATHY KELLY INTERVIEWS WILLIAM REGAL- Regal announces that he will “official start the investigation” into who attacked Aleister Black “tonight.” Dude… it’s been a whole month, during which you’ve already said you’ve interviewed people.

OPENING SEGMENT-
Johnny Gargano comes out to cut a promo, and he’s clearly having a mental breakdown… and Regal thinks that this is a good time to ask him if he attacked Aleister Black? Gargano was combative and offended at even being accused. He eventually told Regal to “look into my eyes and you’ll have your answer.
The Velveteen Dream came out and cut a promo on Gargano. Gargano threw his crutch at him and said he was ready to fight but Regal stopped them by sternly telling Gargano to “get to the back!” and TVD to “get to my office” and promised them they could have a match next week. This is why Regal is the best authority figure in pro wrestling. He has an actual air of authority about him.

DAKOTA KAI vs. ALIYAH- 4.75/10
Please, Lord, let this be a set-up for some sort of quick run-in where someone (Bianca Belair would be ideal) just destroys these two jobbers.
I understand wanting to have a female referee, but they should have picked one who isn’t taller than 90% of the women in the company.
This match was probably the best I’ve seen both of these women (certainly at least Aliyah) look in a WWE ring.

REGAL & A LAWYER MEET WITH THREE MYSTERY MEN- They explain why they couldn’t have attacked Aleister Black and Regal believed them. They told him they wanted an opportunity so he told them they’d get a match next week. I still have no idea who they are.

EC III HAS BEEN ATTACKED BACKSTAGE- and there, walking away in the background, is Lars Sullivan. Hmmm...
(This basically cements in my mind that Lars is a red herring in the Aleister Black situation).

REGAL ATTEMPTS TO INTERVIEW NIKKI CROSS- Nikki was in full, touched in the head grown woman-child mode. She says she knows who did it… but do we actually believe her? She’s clearly wrong in the head.
Bianca Belair showed up and said that Regal should be focusing on her booking her in a title match. Bianca was excellent here.

EC III vs. RAUL MENDOZA- never happened.
Instead, Lars Sullivan came out and fully admitted to attacking EC III (and saying that he didn’t attack Aleister because if he had, he would have taken credit for it). He then beat up Mendoza. Lars was acting like this was a match but the bell never rung and the referee just yelled at him to get to the back the whole time, refusing to count when Lars demanded it. This was a great little segment, although Mauro’s sudden discovery of Lars’ potential motive for attacking Black made Mauro sound stupid because everyone else had already thought of this weeks ago.

TOMMASO CIAMPA PROMO- great!

KEITH LEE vs. LUKE MENZIES- no rating, decent semi-squash
That being said, I’d like to see him start having real matches now.

BURCH & LORCAN VIDEO PACKAGE- fine

PETE DUNNE & RICOCHET vs. UNDISPUTED ERA (Roderick Strong & Adam Cole) (w/Kyle O’Reilly)- 8/10
Ricochet was an excellent Ricky Morton and Dunne was an excellent Robert Gibson. I’d really like to see these two as a regular team. Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem likely because the finish of this match saw a screw-up between Dunne and Ricochet allowed Cole to pin Dunne.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
Undisputed Era attack Ricochet but are chased off by the War Raiders.

A very fun episode of NXT, with an awesome main event. Check it out!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 8/29/2018 NXT (really fun!)

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 30th, '18, 15:02

Jaxon Ryker is Gunner from Tna.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 8/29/2018 NXT (really fun!)

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 30th, '18, 15:16

The others are Wesley Blake from Blake and Murphy and Steve Cutler....who I'm pretty sure was a jobber for years.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.