BRM Reviews the 7/31/2018 205 Live

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 7/31/2018 205 Live

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 1st, '18, 09:49

KALISTO vs. TONY NESE- 6.5/10
I guess everyone has been barred from ringside this time to prevent the brawl we got last time. I’m finding it extremely hard to care about any of these factions without tag belts, but this is especially true for Lucha House Party and the Kendrick/Gallagher team due to the feeling they have created within me that their feuds drag on forever and never really move forward. Consequently, these guys have quite the uphill battle to get me invested in their match. They had a good opener, but nothing more, and they didn’t really do too much to get me to care about this feud. Even the post-match stuff were Murphy tried to attack Kalisto but then got foiled by Lince Dorado didn’t really do much to interest me, as the heels now have no heat whatsoever. I’m sure they’ll vow revenge, but I feel like that sort of thing has already happened in this feud (even though I’m pretty sure it hasn’t).

SUMMERSLAM CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE MATCH CONTRACT SIGNING- bad
Everyone felt painfully scripted, Gulak’s points really felt like they had more of a ring of truth to them then was good for Cedric, and inserting the Brock thing in here makes this feel like it’s all a part of the plot to get Roman over even though they’re just using a convenient tool to make a point that will resonate. That’s part of the cost of spending so much effort on desperate schemes to get Roman over: even things that probably aren’t part of those schemes can feel like they are.

LIO RUSH PROMO- good
He says he has found someone “waaaaaaay more qualified” to face him… who would of course be a jobber that Lio found somewhere. He said he thought the jobber would put up a better fight than Tozawa did.

LIO RUSH vs. RICKY MARTINEZ- squash
Tozawa came out afterwards but Rush blew him off again.

BRIAN KENDRICK vs. CEDRIC ALEXANDER- 7.5/10
Gulak came out to do watch from ringside, then have a face-to-face with Cedric after the match, which was really a set up for the…

POST-MATCH ATTACK- fine
While Gulak was distracting Cedric, Jack Gallagher ran out and attacked him from behind. I was expecting Mustafa Ali to make the save but instead Drave Maverick and a bunch of referees came down to break things up before they went any further, with Maverick yelling angrily at the heels.

A rather routine episode of 205. It wasn’t bad or anything and it did its job of moving stories along, but it was not up to the usual in-ring standards we’ve come to expect from 205 Live.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3