BRM Reviews the 7/4/2018 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 7/4/2018 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 5th, '18, 13:14

DAKOTA KAI vs. SANTANA GARRETT- 4.25/10
I cannot think of two women in the world who are at least passable workers that I have less of a desire to see than these two. The match was fine. Dakota won, even though Garrett looked a lot stronger and more impressive.

HEAVY MACHINERY IN THE GYM- they have been jumped by assailants unknown. Either that or Tucker Knight (who I swear Otis called “Tuckey” hurt himself while lifting and Otis turned the camera off to check on him.

SHAYNA BASZLER PROMO- great arrogant heel promo, but that kind of dominant “arrogant because I can back it up” arrogance rather than, like, The Miz.

CATHY KELLEY INTERVIEWS DANNY BURCH ABOUT ONEY LORCAN’S INJURY- Undisputed Era show up to be dicks. They tells Burch that they’re invoking their rematch clause against Moustache Mountain next week. Also, we’re getting Burch vs. Cole next week.

WAR RAIDERS VIDEO PACKAGE- filler

We’re getting Ciampa vs. Black for the title in three weeks.

HANDICAP MATCH: Otis Dozevic vs. The Mighty- 4/10
Tucker Night was injured by the backstage attack. I thought Otis was given too much here, hurting TM61’s credibility.

BIANCA BELAIR PROMO- AWESOME!
In my head cannon, Montez Ford was the one filming this promo. That how I choose to have it make sense that there was a camera sending videos to NXT on her honeymoon.

KAIRI SANE PROMO ON VANESSA BOURNE- she wants a match. My favorite thing about this is that all of her pirate references probably just made Vanessa even more annoyed

THE VELVETEEN DREAM vs. CHRIS DIJAK- 5/10
Awesome for the time it got, but they really need to start letting Dijak wrestle longer matches before his credibility gets obliterated.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
EC III cut TVD’s celebration short by coming out for his match. A good tease for the inevitable feud between these two stemming from TVD’s walking out on EC III in Royal Albert Hall.

Can we talk about this Bruce Pritchard podcast for a moment? How tone-deaf is WWE that they think we’ll buy the idea that Bruce will “say things that others are afraid to say” while having him call his podcast “the #1 Sports Entertainment podcast” in the world? I know I shouldn’t be surprised, yet somehow I still am.

MOUSTACHE MOUNTAIN PROMO- good

EC III vs. JOHNNY GARGANO- 7.75/10
The real story here wasn’t the match itself, but the idea of Gargano “becoming what he hates” (as we were told several times) which they executed very well, culminating in Gargano winning the match with the very move that Ciampa used to beat him at Takeover.

A great episode of NXT, with a great (and storyline important) main event, and some very strong promos. It really feels like NXT has a lot more big players running around now than ever before (aside from the women’s division, but even there it still feels like a lot is happening).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 7/4/2018 NXT

Post by cero2k » Jul 6th, '18, 10:06

Gargano is most definitely copying the Eddie Edwards vs Callihan storyline now.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 11th, '18, 15:23

Shayna Baszler has the worst voice in wrestling ever.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 11th, '18, 15:29

KILLdozer wrote: Jul 11th, '18, 15:23 Shayna Baszler has the worst voice in wrestling ever.
You're forgetting about Marc Mero/Johnny B. Badd.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 11th, '18, 16:01

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 11th, '18, 15:29
KILLdozer wrote: Jul 11th, '18, 15:23 Shayna Baszler has the worst voice in wrestling ever.
You're forgetting about Marc Mero/Johnny B. Badd.
I never saw him.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jul 12th, '18, 22:14

I'd rather listen to Shayna on commentary for all 3 hours of Raw than listen to another Jay Lethal promo.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 12th, '18, 22:25

Bob-O wrote: Jul 12th, '18, 22:14 I'd rather listen to Shayna on commentary for all 3 hours of Raw than listen to another Jay Lethal promo.
They sound pretty similar. Which odd when you realize that he's an African-American from New Jersey and she's a Caucasian from South Dakota.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jul 13th, '18, 10:17

Jay Lethal sounds like Bill Cosby with a stuffy nose, where Shayna sounds more like a def person.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 13th, '18, 15:45

Shayna Baszler almost reminds me of an obnoxious nasally Bailey lol.