BRM Reviews the 6/19 2018 Smackdown (I Think Hunter Might Be Booking This Now)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 6/19 2018 Smackdown (I Think Hunter Might Be Booking This Now)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 20th, '18, 00:31

PAIGE GIVES A SHOW-OPENING SPEECH BACKSTAGE- she puts over Smackdown results from the PPV, then announces that we’ll determine AJ’s next challenger by having “the first-even five-man Gauntlet Match on Smackdown Live.” Was that “first-ever” really necessary here?
Anyway, Paige explained the rules, then announced the participants: Rusev, Joe, Miz, Big E., and Bryan. I really liked the way they did this. It felt like a very “real sports” announcement. It was the sort of thing you’d see Regal do on NXT and that Drake Maverick has been doing every week on 205 Live. It’s much more effective an SOOOOOOO much more natural than having the authority figure filter the information to us through fake phone conversations with someone else (or real conversations with someone else backstage, for that matter) and doing it this way means you can pre-tape it so you won’t get some marble-mouth like Kurt or Shane f*cking up.

OPENING SEGMENT- very good
Carmella came out wearing an extremely small tube top that made her look rather trashy, and certainly not like a dignified champion. She then cuts one of those heel promos that WWE loves so much where the heel starts with what feels like a sincere babyface promo only to set up a swerve that everyone knows is coming and yet the heel claims to have fooled everyone anyway… but as usual, Carmella manages to make it work with her over the top way of pointing out exactly what she was going. She has definitely found her character and knows how to make it work. This wouldn’t have worked coming out of anyone else’s mouth.
Carmella then engaged in her customary running of her mouth. She claims that she won the match all by herself, which is at least in-keeping with her character. Asuka’s music hit and I’m sure you see where this went. Ellsworth declared that “NO ONE IS READY FOR ELLSWORTH!” which was a great line. He seems to have adjusted his character to fit her current character a bit better now. He said that Carmella was “the best woman ever” and then listed off several women that Carmella was better than by name, including Trish, Lita, Mother Teresa, and Beyonce.
The real Asuka came out. Ellsworth got in her face, so she kicked him in the stomach, but this allowed Carmella to level Asuka with a kick to the face and the heels walked off.

IICONICS PROMO- bad, but less embarrassing than usual, so that’s a step in the right direction, I guess.

BECKY LYNCH vs. BILLIE KAY (w/Peyton Royce)- 4/10
They had a lot of problems with their video signal during this match, but am considering it a gift from above that the only times the audio cut out were perfectly time for me to be able to believe that the announcers were just cursing on commentary (right after Tom Phillips said the word “holy!” after Becky hit Kay with a Bexploder, and then when Corey Graves said that he thinks the heels “have a valid ______ point”).
Becky beat Billie up for a while. Billie got some heat after a distraction by Peyton but Becky made her comeback and won. Billie and Peyton continued to be gigantic losers.

JEFF HARDY PROMO ON NAKAMURA- fine
They shot this on a black background, with Jeff facing away from the camera. They’re letting Jeff come up with his own stuff again, so this was a little weird. He turned around and revealed that he’s wearing facepaint again. Also, really weird contact lenses. He’s not happy with Nakamura.

Tom Phillips claimed that Eric Young was a “master manipulator.” This was a part of a painfully scripted and choreographed three-part introduction by the announcers to SAnitY, which concluded, appropriately, with Byron Saxton saying the following:
“Then there is Alexander Wolfe, the most erratic and aerobic member of SAnitY. There is literally nothing Wolfe will not do to ensure the cause of chaos of SAnitY.” Whoever wrote this should have been shot. We then then told by Tom Phillips that “the madness is here.” We then cut a video of three members of SAnitY’s shadows illuminated with a red light on a white stone wall. We heard lots of mad cackling before Eric Young’s voice declared that “chaos has arrived!” and they walked off. Then we cut to a more elaborate-seemingly video of cars on fire and so forth. That was wacky. Then we were told the SAnitY vs. The Usos is next.

RENEE YOUNG INTERVIEWS DANIEL BRYAN- Renee was wearing a jacket that Drake Maverick would have considered so visually abrasive as to be unwearable, (even when he was Rockstar Spud).
Bryan cut a great promo, then did some goofy comedy with Renee. I could have done without the comedy.

USOS PROMO- good promo

THE USOS vs. SAnitY (w/Killian Dain)- no rating, okay segment.
SAnitY jumped the bell on The Usos. For some reason no referee ever even came out even though the match was scheduled and announced and both teams had their official entrances. SAnitY beat up The Usos. They were crazy, but in a goofy way rather than a scary way. They did come off as a dominant force, though, so that was good.

GALLOWS & ANDERSON BACKSTAGE- they were goofballs. Apparently they’re being given another title shot for no reason, and that shot is next.
Before the commercial, we got a shot of the Bludgeon Brothers with their scary masks, but they didn’t talk or do any of the other lame sh*t they’ve been doing lately, so that was an improvement.

RENEE YOUNG INTERVIEWS SHINSUKE NAKAMURA- good
I really liked the fact that when this started off seeming like Nakamura had requested this interview just to do his “I don’t speak English anymore” shtick, they actually let Renee stand up for herself and tell him that if he just wanted this interview so he could troll her, she’s going to leave.
It turns out Nakamura wasn’t doing that, though, and when he said “What is ‘loss’” he was asking a more existential question. He denied the fact that he really lost last night, claiming not only that the referee counted too fast, but also that the referee counting in English was unfair to him. That was a great bullsh*t heel line (for those who don’t know, in pro wrestling matches in Japan, they do all of their counting in English). He then cut a promo warning Jeff Hardy not to mess with him.

Apparently “up next” means after one backstage segment, a commercial one recap of a title match from the PPV, one backstage interview, and then another commercial. If something isn’t going to be the next thing you show, don’t tell me that it’s “up next,” and that goes doubly so for if there is going to be ANOTHER commercial between now and then.

WWE SMACKDOWN TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Bludgeon Brothers(c) vs. Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson- 4/10
This match started during a commercial. It was very short with Gallows and Anderson losing again, and not doing any better than they did at Money in the Bank so what was even the point of doing this?

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- weird
Daniel Bryan came out for the Gauntlet Match basically right after the match ended. He stood between the two Bludgeon Brothers and had a stare-down with them. Then his music started again and he just continued on his way down to the ring.

WWE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE #1 CONTENDERSHIP GAUNTLET MATCH: Daniel Bryan vs. Big E. vs. Samoa Joe vs. The MIz vs. Rusev (w/Aiden English)- 8.25/10
The Bryan vs. Big E. and Bryan vs. Joe portions of this were wonderful! Bryan’s matches feel so different from everyone else in the company, and that’s because he seems to be purposely trying to make them feel different. There are guys pulling out moves we haven’t seen in years like torture racks and stretch mufflers, and it’s a great mix of American psychology with Japanese-style cut-off. And the way they did the Joe finish was GENIUS. Hopefully he’s okay after being powerslammed onto his head.
After the Joe match, the Bludgeon Brothers attacked Bryan, allowing Miz to then come out and get the easy pin on him. Is Bryan going for the tag titles now? Who would he even team with?
The Miz vs. Rusev part of this was decent, and Rusev winning a got a big pop. AJ Styles came out for a stare-down after the match. Aiden English offered AJ a handshake but then snubbed him just to be a dick so AJ dropped him with one punch.

I could be talking out of my ass here, but I think Hunter might be running things on Smackdown now. Paige spoke right into the camera during her opening bit, pretty much everything else the wrestlers said felt like it was truly their own words, the Jeff Hardy promo was shot very differently, the whole card was booked before the show started, Renee was allowed to stand up for herself a bit, the Nakamura vs. Jeff storyline moved forward without rushing to a confrontation like main roster WWE almost always does to start off a feud, and there were zero mentions of pancakes or any such similar bullsh*t. This was a very enjoyable show. I hope this continues.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Re: BRM Reviews the 6/19 2018 Smackdown (I Think Hunter Might Be Booking This Now)

Post by XIV » Jun 20th, '18, 15:26

Triple H was in a London. So I think his involvement was zero. But the direction is something to be monitored.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 6/19 2018 Smackdown (I Think Hunter Might Be Booking This Now)

Post by cero2k » Jun 20th, '18, 16:33

XIV wrote: Jun 20th, '18, 15:26 Triple H was in a London. So I think his involvement was zero. But the direction is something to be monitored.
maybe it was the lack of McMahon supervision

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 20th, '18, 17:26

cero2k wrote: Jun 20th, '18, 16:33
XIV wrote: Jun 20th, '18, 15:26 Triple H was in a London. So I think his involvement was zero. But the direction is something to be monitored.
maybe it was the lack of McMahon supervision
The Gauntlet Match is definitely a way to cut down the amount of attention you have to put into booking a particular show. Even with Hunter being in London, I would argue that he is much more likely to be able to just book a show and then be comfortable giving it to Road Dogg/Ryan Ward/Adam Pearce/whoever and letting them produce it as is without feeling the need to constantly change his mind about things. It's possible he booked the show, then flew to the UK (or even booked it on the plane).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 21st, '18, 11:35

to add to that 'no McMahon' idea, as Alvarez and Filthy pointed out, the opening segment was virtually the same as RAW.

woman champion cuts fake babyface promo
turns on the crowd
man comes out
angry woman comes out
angry woman beats up man

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 21st, '18, 11:54

cero2k wrote: Jun 21st, '18, 11:35 to add to that 'no McMahon' idea, as Alvarez and Filthy pointed out, the opening segment was virtually the same as RAW.

turns on the crowd
man comes out
angry woman comes out
angry woman beats up man
For one thing, they were wrong about the "man comes out" part because Kurt was out first. Also, the situations were totally different. Kurt was an authority figure trying to hold Ronda back, while Ellsworth was purposely being Carmella's human shield. They also ignore the fact that the Raw segment ended with the heel woman being laid out while the SD segment ended with the face woman being laid out.

Also, there are lots of similarities between Raw and SD on weeks when Vince is around, too.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 21st, '18, 13:16

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 21st, '18, 11:54
cero2k wrote: Jun 21st, '18, 11:35 to add to that 'no McMahon' idea, as Alvarez and Filthy pointed out, the opening segment was virtually the same as RAW.

turns on the crowd
man comes out
angry woman comes out
angry woman beats up man
For one thing, they were wrong about the "man comes out" part because Kurt was out first. Also, the situations were totally different. Kurt was an authority figure trying to hold Ronda back, while Ellsworth was purposely being Carmella's human shield. They also ignore the fact that the Raw segment ended with the heel woman being laid out while the SD segment ended with the face woman being laid out.

Also, there are lots of similarities between Raw and SD on weeks when Vince is around, too.
They were also completely different human beings. technicalities, it's still the same shit. angry babyface beats up dude while heel made a fake babyface promo.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 21st, '18, 13:40

cero2k wrote: Jun 21st, '18, 13:16
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 21st, '18, 11:54

turns on the crowd
man comes out
angry woman comes out
angry woman beats up man

They were also completely different human beings. technicalities, it's still the same shit. angry babyface beats up dude while heel made a fake babyface promo.
I think the fact that the babyface got laid out at the end of one and the heel got laid out in the other and that the man was playing a different role in these two cases make it very different. If you want to say the promos were the same I won't argue with that.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 21st, '18, 13:56

Why is he back? Carmella definitely doesn't need him at this point like she might have once needed someone else with her (definitely didn't need him.), and wasn't he fired in Kayfabe?
When they come, they'll come at what you love.