Awkward Moment On Jerry Lawler's Podcast Implies Women Are Being Paid For Sitting Out The Greatest Royal Rumble

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Bob-O

Awkward Moment On Jerry Lawler's Podcast Implies Women Are Being Paid For Sitting Out The Greatest Royal Rumble

Post by Bob-O » May 11th, '18, 07:26

Source: Pro Wrestling Sheet

The women in WWE may not be wrestling at The Greatest Royal Rumble in Saudi Arabia, but announcer Jerry Lawler is making it sound like they’re all getting a fat paycheck regardless.

Lawler talked about the upcoming show on his latest podcast episode featuring Jim Cornette, who suggested WWE give a “heck of a payoff” to all of the women sitting at home with the rumored millions of dollars they’re being paid by the Saudi General Sports Authority.

The King replied, “I think that’s exactly what’s happening.”

The conversation was abruptly halted minutes later for an unknown reason and co-host Glenn Moore said they had to cut out thirty minutes worth of their conversation about Greatest Royal Rumble.

Pro Wrestling Sheet reached out to WWE for comment/clarification on what Jerry said and will update you if we hear back.

Big Red Machine

Re: Awkward Moment On Jerry Lawler's Podcast Implies Women Are Being Paid For Sitting Out The Greatest Royal Rumble

Post by Big Red Machine » May 11th, '18, 08:36

I'm pretty sure this has already been reported. The idea is that by paying them for the show anyway, WWE is avoiding a gender discrimination lawsuit because the women are not missing out on an opportunity to get paid due to their gender. I see nothing wrong with paying them for the show. Doing the show in the first place... not the best idea.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Re: Awkward Moment On Jerry Lawler's Podcast Implies Women Are Being Paid For Sitting Out The Greatest Royal Rumble

Post by XIV » May 11th, '18, 12:54

Big Red Machine wrote: May 11th, '18, 08:36 I'm pretty sure this has already been reported. The idea is that by paying them for the show anyway, WWE is avoiding a gender discrimination lawsuit because the women are not missing out on an opportunity to get paid due to their gender. I see nothing wrong with paying them for the show. Doing the show in the first place... not the best idea.

I agree, paying them is actually kind of fair and a good gesture from WWE the fact that the show took place is a farce... the fact they’re going back to do more... is even more farcical.

The crowd was dead and unappreciative. The women can’t wrestle there and it’s not like they’re getting raw and smack down programming(far too many women)... so... what’s the end game aside from Finance?
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 11th, '18, 13:50

so did Sami Zayn and Mustafa Ali get paid too? Stephanie?

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » May 12th, '18, 07:13

XIV wrote: May 11th, '18, 12:54 paying them is actually kind of fair and a good gesture from WWE
Agreed! It's the right thing to do, but in a "private contractor" kind of way, I wouldn't have been surprised if they didn't. This is at heart a carnie business...
cero2k wrote: May 11th, '18, 13:50 so did Sami Zayn and Mustafa Ali get paid too? Stephanie?
Haha, I wouldn't worry about Steph getting her cut...

Zayn said they wouldn't tell him why he was staying home, so that's a pretty good question.