BRM Reviews the 5/8/2018 205 Live (GREAT!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 5/8/2018 205 Live (GREAT!)

Post by Big Red Machine » May 9th, '18, 09:40

BRIAN KENDRICK & JACK GALLAGHER vs. LUCHA HOUSE PARTY (w/Kalisto)- 6.25/10
Drew Gulak came out to do commentary. He feels like he has regressed to his Vince-run 205 Live character. Is Hunter out sick this week or something?
The match was good, but I really wish this burgeoning Cruiserweight tag team division had some direction to it.

MUSTAFA ALI SELFIE PROMO- he cannot hold the camera straight to save his live. It was pretty good promo, though, and he deserves credit for using the fact that he has to cut these cellphone promos to go different places and use his local as part of his promo. I don’t see anyone else doing that.

BUDDY MURPHY & TONY NESE BACKSTAGE- I guess these two are friends now. An interviewer (Dasha?) came up to Murphy and asked him a question, which he responded to via a promo saying he hoped Cedric was watching his match with Ali tonight.

TONY NESE vs. KEITH CLAYBALL- squash

HIDEO ITAMI VIDEO PACKAGE- good. The important thing to take away from this was Itami telling us that he never wanted to be teamed up with Tozawa because he doesn’t need a partner and Tozawa isn’t good enough to deserve him.

CEDRIC ALEXANDER & DRAKE MAVERICK BACKSTAGE- Drake Maverick wants assurances that Cedric won’t interfere in tonight’s main event to get revenge on Buddy Murphy from their brawl last week. He also announces that the UK division will be on the show next week.

MUSTAFA ALI vs. BUDDY MURPHY- 8.5/10
Will someone please take that face-covering away from Mustafa Ali? It makes him look like a Supervillain.
Another AWESOME 205 Live main event! This match built extremely well and had all sorts of little callbacks in it. I can’t wait to see a third match between these two guys… and that’s something I could not have even fathomed hearing myself say at the beginning of the year.

Yet another great episode of 205 Live!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Re: BRM Reviews the 5/8/2018 205 Live (GREAT!)

Post by XIV » May 10th, '18, 08:56

It's just rolling well. It does however have that clear NXT feel to it now, Triple H has a clear style... it's a good style though.
Have A Nice Day!

XIV

Post by XIV » May 10th, '18, 08:58

It also goes to show that the whole "authority figure taking up lots of the show" is a Vince feature and not a Triple H feature. Maverick and Regal are almost like Jack Tunney's these days, they do show up, but they're not the main feature of the show. A direction I highly appreciate.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 10th, '18, 10:38

XIV wrote: May 10th, '18, 08:58 It also goes to show that the whole "authority figure taking up lots of the show" is a Vince feature and not a Triple H feature. Maverick and Regal are almost like Jack Tunney's these days, they do show up, but they're not the main feature of the show. A direction I highly appreciate.
An authority figure should exist to fix problems and to serve as an on-screen representative of the promotion. He or she should be a reactionry figure, except on the rare occasions where his or her presence if being used for gravitas like in a contract signing or some other sort of official ceremony. His or her appearances should be based around what someone else has done: "Wrestler X & Wrestler Y had a fight, therefore I am booking them in a match" "Match X had a controversial finish, therefore I am booking a rematch with Stipulation ,Y" "Wrestler Z has issues with management's decision, therefore I am coming out to explain it to them."
XIV wrote: May 10th, '18, 08:56 It's just rolling well. It does however have that clear NXT feel to it now, Triple H has a clear style... it's a good style though.
I think a lot of this goes back to Vince's " it's not professional wrestling, it's Sports Entertainment" identity crisis. Professional Wrestling implies a professionalism, which in the case of a professional sports league means (among other things) that you have your card all booked before the show starts. This is the case with Triple H shows about nineteen times out of twenty, and any matches made as a result of an incident that happens that same night tend to be as a replacement for a previously-booked match that somehow got ruined. This also results in segments setting up a match needing to be done the week beforehand, which creates a much more episodic feel. This is what Triple H gives us.

But if you feel that you are freed from those constraints by calling it "Sports Entertainment" rather than "professional wrestling," you don't feel the need to be "professional." As a result, you're free to have your matches set up right there in the building, and if you have an authority figure who needs to sign off on such things, that person is going to have to be featured in each one of these segments. This becomes exacerbated when the authority figure is either someone you want people to respond to as a big heel (Steph) or when you're lazy and the authority figure is someone you know will get a big babyface pop (Foley, Kurt, Bryan, Shane, Paige) so you write a show that is focused on getting a reaction in that moment rather than building things up over time and sticking the the authority figure on TV and having him/her announce big match X will be taking place right here in this very town later tonight.

I also do think there is a possibility that making the matches on the show (which requires an authority figure, but also covers things like matches always stemming from MizTV segments) might be their way of filling time... because it's not like they could just book longer wrestling matches or promos to follow things up and lay out challenges for next week or something productive like that, right?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » May 10th, '18, 10:52

Big Red Machine wrote: May 10th, '18, 10:38
XIV wrote: May 10th, '18, 08:58 It also goes to show that the whole "authority figure taking up lots of the show" is a Vince feature and not a Triple H feature. Maverick and Regal are almost like Jack Tunney's these days, they do show up, but they're not the main feature of the show. A direction I highly appreciate.
An authority figure should exist to fix problems and to serve as an on-screen representative of the promotion. He or she should be a reactionry figure, except on the rare occasions where his or her presence if being used for gravitas like in a contract signing or some other sort of official ceremony. His or her appearances should be based around what someone else has done: "Wrestler X & Wrestler Y had a fight, therefore I am booking them in a match" "Match X had a controversial finish, therefore I am booking a rematch with Stipulation ,Y" "Wrestler Z has issues with management's decision, therefore I am coming out to explain it to them."
Couldn't agree more. 205 & NXT have the good old days of authority figures. You know that if Regal or Maverick are on screen, they actually have something to say, promote or do which causes me as the viewer to actually pay attention.
Have A Nice Day!

XIV

Post by XIV » May 10th, '18, 11:00

XIV wrote: May 10th, '18, 08:56 It's just rolling well. It does however have that clear NXT feel to it now, Triple H has a clear style... it's a good style though.
I think a lot of this goes back to Vince's " it's not professional wrestling, it's Sports Entertainment" identity crisis. Professional Wrestling implies a professionalism, which in the case of a professional sports league means (among other things) that you have your card all booked before the show starts. This is the case with Triple H shows about nineteen times out of twenty, and any matches made as a result of an incident that happens that same night tend to be as a replacement for a previously-booked match that somehow got ruined. This also results in segments setting up a match needing to be done the week beforehand, which creates a much more episodic feel. This is what Triple H gives us.

But if you feel that you are freed from those constraints by calling it "Sports Entertainment" rather than "professional wrestling," you don't feel the need to be "professional." As a result, you're free to have your matches set up right there in the building, and if you have an authority figure who needs to sign off on such things, that person is going to have to be featured in each one of these segments. This becomes exacerbated when the authority figure is either someone you want people to respond to as a big heel (Steph) or when you're lazy and the authority figure is someone you know will get a big babyface pop (Foley, Kurt, Bryan, Shane, Paige) so you write a show that is focused on getting a reaction in that moment rather than building things up over time and sticking the the authority figure on TV and having him/her announce big match X will be taking place right here in this very town later tonight.

I also do think there is a possibility that making the matches on the show (which requires an authority figure, but also covers things like matches always stemming from MizTV segments) might be their way of filling time... because it's not like they could just book longer wrestling matches or promos to follow things up and lay out challenges for next week or something productive like that, right?
So have you noticed how Drake Maverick uses the word "wrestling" a lot more than anyone else around the company? You can't possibly tell me that isn't Triple H telling him to use that word.

I know that Vince in amongst all this wants that whole "anything can happen" vibe. But that has long gone. It is as you point out the opposite of the Triple H model. 19 times of out 20, the main event for SD or Raw isn't set prior to going on air... which doesn't allow for appropriate build. If I know that Rollins vs Balor for the Intercontintental Championship is next week's main event, I am MORE likely to tune in rather than not knowing a single thing about the next show.

The Vince model insults the viewer, in his mind we as the viewer couldn't possibly remember why X is facing Y the next week, so the match must be that very night (which more often than not has a screwy finish and the match is redone the following week anyway).

I miss the days where you knew the main event most times, you had a clue of some matches... but at the start of the show the commentators would give you a run down of important matches the card so you knew then and there within the first 2 minutes of the show what you're going to get, so that those truly unexpected moments, feel more unexpected instead of just tuning and thinking "I don't know what I'm watching this week".
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 10th, '18, 11:19

XIV wrote: May 10th, '18, 10:52
Couldn't agree more. 205 & NXT have the good old days of authority figures. You know that if Regal or Maverick are on screen, they actually have something to say, promote or do which causes me as the viewer to actually pay attention.
Right. And on the rare occasion that they don't, it's done because someone is going to interrupt them for something important and the writers create a reason for them to be out there that makes sense like making some other announcement rather than just having them futzing around on their phone backstage. Regal and Drake Maverick feel like they do more work both during the week and while the TV show is happening for their one-hour shows that Shane, Steph, Paige, and Angle do combined for their shows that are twice and thrice as long.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 10th, '18, 11:22

XIV wrote: May 10th, '18, 11:00

So have you noticed how Drake Maverick uses the word "wrestling" a lot more than anyone else around the company? You can't possibly tell me that isn't Triple H telling him to use that word.

I know that Vince in amongst all this wants that whole "anything can happen" vibe. But that has long gone. It is as you point out the opposite of the Triple H model. 19 times of out 20, the main event for SD or Raw isn't set prior to going on air... which doesn't allow for appropriate build. If I know that Rollins vs Balor for the Intercontintental Championship is next week's main event, I am MORE likely to tune in rather than not knowing a single thing about the next show.

The Vince model insults the viewer, in his mind we as the viewer couldn't possibly remember why X is facing Y the next week, so the match must be that very night (which more often than not has a screwy finish and the match is redone the following week anyway).

I miss the days where you knew the main event most times, you had a clue of some matches... but at the start of the show the commentators would give you a run down of important matches the card so you knew then and there within the first 2 minutes of the show what you're going to get, so that those truly unexpected moments, feel more unexpected instead of just tuning and thinking "I don't know what I'm watching this week".
Right. WWE's way of thinking is that people only want to see the stars and thus they either put the stars on TV as much as possible, don't tell you when the stars won't be on TV so you don't tune out, and keep non-star matches short. A much more productive solution would be to do things to try to make your non-stars into stars, but WWE will never let that happen.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » May 10th, '18, 11:32

Big Red Machine wrote: May 10th, '18, 11:19
XIV wrote: May 10th, '18, 10:52
Right. And on the rare occasion that they don't, it's done because someone is going to interrupt them for something important and the writers create a reason for them to be out there that makes sense like making some other announcement rather than just having them futzing around on their phone backstage. Regal and Drake Maverick feel like they do more work both during the week and while the TV show is happening for their one-hour shows that Shane, Steph, Paige, and Angle do combined for their shows that are twice and thrice as long.
Well, in the event you have Instagram and follow Drake Maverick, he is forever plugging 205 live, upcoming matches, showing weigh ins, that sort of thing. So he definitely does the work!
Have A Nice Day!

XIV

Post by XIV » May 10th, '18, 11:41

Big Red Machine wrote: May 10th, '18, 11:22

Right. WWE's way of thinking is that people only want to see the stars and thus they either put the stars on TV as much as possible, don't tell you when the stars won't be on TV so you don't tune out, and keep non-star matches short. A much more productive solution would be to do things to try to make your non-stars into stars, but WWE will never let that happen.
I don't want it to be a Vince-bashing thing. What Vince has done for Wrestling has been incredible no doubt about it...

But just like any sports team, any business, any company in the world... eventually the person leading the company runs out of ideas and isn't in touch with the modern era of the game/business and it's time to hand over to someone with fresh ideas and someone who is more in touch with the modern era.

This needs to happen. Vince has taken huge strides by giving Triple H 205 and NXT. Now I would like to see Triple H take over Smackdown by the end of this year, and Raw by the end of 2019. It's a good handover period and it allows for things to change in good time without spooking the shareholders, sponsors and networks. Then in 2020, Vince McMahon can be the sole person placed into the Hall of Fame and get the adulation he deserves.

If Vince wants to continue working because that's how he's wired, then he's free to no doubt work in the HQ on the Network, Movie Studios or XFL. Whatever he wants to do.

I'm gonna say it...

It's best for business.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 10th, '18, 13:18

XIV wrote: May 10th, '18, 11:41

I don't want it to be a Vince-bashing thing. What Vince has done for Wrestling has been incredible no doubt about it...

But just like any sports team, any business, any company in the world... eventually the person leading the company runs out of ideas and isn't in touch with the modern era of the game/business and it's time to hand over to someone with fresh ideas and someone who is more in touch with the modern era.

This needs to happen. Vince has taken huge strides by giving Triple H 205 and NXT. Now I would like to see Triple H take over Smackdown by the end of this year, and Raw by the end of 2019. It's a good handover period and it allows for things to change in good time without spooking the shareholders, sponsors and networks. Then in 2020, Vince McMahon can be the sole person placed into the Hall of Fame and get the adulation he deserves.

If Vince wants to continue working because that's how he's wired, then he's free to no doubt work in the HQ on the Network, Movie Studios or XFL. Whatever he wants to do.

I'm gonna say it...

It's best for business.
End of 2019? How about Vince tells Hunter where things are going to be at the end of Summer Slam and Hunter takes over from there?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » May 10th, '18, 15:54

Big Red Machine wrote: May 10th, '18, 13:18

I'm gonna say it...

It's best for business.
End of 2019? How about Vince tells Hunter where things are going to be at the end of Summer Slam and Hunter takes over from there?
Don’t get me wrong, I want Hunter in charge as much as the next person... but from a business standpoint it won’t be that quick. It will be a gradual 12 -18 month process
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 10th, '18, 15:57

XIV wrote: May 10th, '18, 15:54

I'm gonna say it...

It's best for business.
Don’t get me wrong, I want Hunter in charge as much as the next person... but from a business standpoint it won’t be that quick. It will be a gradual 12 -18 month process
Why? It's basically just a booking change. Whatever production changes Hunter wants to make are all things he already knows how to do because he's been doing them on NXT and 205 Live.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » May 10th, '18, 23:38

Big Red Machine wrote: May 10th, '18, 15:57

Why? It's basically just a booking change. Whatever production changes Hunter wants to make are all things he already knows how to do because he's been doing them on NXT and 205 Live.
WWE isn’t like a normal wrestling business. They have other things to consider. You can’t just make severe changes at the top, it could affect stock market pricing, networking, sponsorships and shareholders.

Done at a more gradual pace keeps everything stable and no-one gets jumpy from a business standpoint.

I’m talking purely business here... and whilst you can keep Vince as the chairman do nothing changes in that respect. The shareholders, networks and sponsors all will know Vince runs the show. If it’s a sudden announcement that Vince is no longer running the show that’s where the ripple effect is.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 11th, '18, 00:02

XIV wrote: May 10th, '18, 23:38

WWE isn’t like a normal wrestling business. They have other things to consider. You can’t just make severe changes at the top, it could affect stock market pricing, networking, sponsorships and shareholders.

Done at a more gradual pace keeps everything stable and no-one gets jumpy from a business standpoint.

I’m talking purely business here... and whilst you can keep Vince as the chairman do nothing changes in that respect. The shareholders, networks and sponsors all will know Vince runs the show. If it’s a sudden announcement that Vince is no longer running the show that’s where the ripple effect is.
The shareholders mostly don't know sh*t. A good chunk of them don't know anything about wrestling. And you don't even have to tell them that Hunter is booking the company now (although he is the one with title of head of creative so they might well assume that's already what is happening.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » May 11th, '18, 01:15

Big Red Machine wrote: May 11th, '18, 00:02
XIV wrote: May 10th, '18, 23:38

The shareholders mostly don't know sh*t. A good chunk of them don't know anything about wrestling. And you don't even have to tell them that Hunter is booking the company now (although he is the one with title of head of creative so they might well assume that's already what is happening.
I'm just putting the variables and potential stumbling blocks out there.

It could also be absolutely fine and there are no ripples at all because shareholders, sponsors and networks don't care.
Have A Nice Day!