BRM Reviews the 5/9/2018 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 5/9/2018 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » May 10th, '18, 09:18

OPENING SEGMENT- “The One And Only” makes his entrance… but it’s not Billy Gunn. It’s Ricochet. He cuts a good promo saying he wants a title shot. The Velveteen Dream interrupts him, says he doesn’t deserve a title shot and makes fun of his nickname. TVD told him “no matter how you flip or flop, you’d better make sure you land in the back of the line.” I thought that was a great line. They traded some more barbs. TVD’s expression of disgust when Ricochet said he was here to steal the show and steal his spotlight was awesome. They seemed like they were going to fight but TVD backed down. I’m not sure if this was the first segment in a wrestling feud or the first act of a slash fic, but it works well as either one, so either way this was successful.

EC3 vs. RAUL MENDOZA- no mating, decent semi-squash
Ethan’s music is so bad it’s good.

CATHY KELLY INTERVIEWS EC3- good promo by Ethan.

BURCH, LORCAN, & DUNNE BACKSTAGE- Burch & Lorcan made it clear that they only helped Dunne because they all have an issue with Undisputed Era. They came off like total dicks.

VANESSA BORNE vs. DAKOTA KAI- 0.75/10
Dakota Kai wins a short match.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- Shayna Baszler comes out to taunt Dakota Kai, then chokes out Vanessa Bourne. Dakota Kai runs away instead of being a stat and trying to save Vanessa from the bully.

According to the ticker at the bottom, NXT will be running at a venue in OKC called “The Criterion.” That is one of the worst names for a venue I have ever heard.

CATHY KELLY INTERVIEWS DAKOTA KAI- Dakota is explaining how scared she is. Shayna showed up to make fun of her. Shayna leaves, and then we see Nikki Cross is now also laughing at Dakota.

THE WAR RAIDERS vs. HEAVY MACHINERY- 1.5/10
WAY too short.

STREET PROFITS PROMO- this was a good promo but for the wrong situation. They needed to directly address TM61’s cheating but instead it was just a very Street Profits “we want the titles” training video.

KASSIUS OHNO vs. TOMMASO CIAMPA- 6.5/10
They went after each other’s eyes. The idea was to make this more of a fight than a match but it didn’t really work for me. Maybe if they had actually done something to establish the friendship between Ohno and Gargano before this it would have helped be buy into it more.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- Ciampa attacked Ohno with his knee brace after the match.

A very meh episode of NXT. It felt like a time-wasting week rather than anything important (other than the opening segment).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Re: BRM Reviews the 5/9/2018 NXT

Post by XIV » May 10th, '18, 09:23

Big Red Machine wrote: May 10th, '18, 09:18

I for one am glad there was no mating.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 10th, '18, 10:04

XIV wrote: May 10th, '18, 09:23

Umm... umm...
Aha! You caught my clever joke! Good eye, XIV. This was definitely a callback to the joke about Ricochet and The Velveteen Dream's segment coming off like act one of a slash fic and was absolutely definitely totally not a typo.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » May 10th, '18, 10:39

Big Red Machine wrote: May 10th, '18, 09:18 OPENING SEGMENT- “The One And Only” makes his entrance… but it’s not Billy Gunn. It’s Ricochet. He cuts a good promo saying he wants a title shot. The Velveteen Dream interrupts him, says he doesn’t deserve a title shot and makes fun of his nickname. TVD told him “no matter how you flip or flop, you’d better make sure you land in the back of the line.” I thought that was a great line. They traded some more barbs. TVD’s expression of disgust when Ricochet said he was here to steal the show and steal his spotlight was awesome. They seemed like they were going to fight but TVD backed down. I’m not sure if this was the first segment in a wrestling feud or the first act of a slash fic, but it works well as either one, so either way this was successful.
I felt like this was a step back for Ricochet, in that he doesn't have a good casual presence. I'm no fashion designer, but he looked sloppy. Like the guy that wears the same "church clothes" to everything he needs to look nice for the last 10 years, or the kind of guy that wears running shoes with a shirt and tie because he doesn't know better. Even the fans were ribbing him about not having socks on! He's not very smooth on the mic, I don't know, this all just came across as awkward to me. I feel like he's the kind of guy that can do all right if he's handed a mic and told to talk about something, but this felt very scripted and poorly executed. I thought Velveteen would salvage this, but after they miscued his interruption he struggled with the script as well. I can't wait for the match, but they need help Ric' figure this out... *ahem* "develop" him, if you will...
Big Red Machine wrote: May 10th, '18, 09:18 BURCH, LORCAN, & DUNNE BACKSTAGE- Burch & Lorcan made it clear that they only helped Dunne because they all have an issue with Undisputed Era. They came off like total dicks.
I liked it. Being a total dick is kind of Dunne's 'thing'. It makes the team seamless with little investment, and will get UE over in a Functioning Unit vs Guys That Need Help But Don't Want To Team kind of way. I'm remembering when the Shield made their debut and how awesome it was watching them work together...
Big Red Machine wrote: May 10th, '18, 09:18 VANESSA BORNE vs. DAKOTA KAI- 0.75/10

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- Shayna Baszler comes out to taunt Dakota Kai, then chokes out Vanessa Bourne. Dakota Kai runs away instead of being a stat and trying to save Vanessa from the bully.

CATHY KELLY INTERVIEWS DAKOTA KAI- Dakota is explaining how scared she is. Shayna showed up to make fun of her. Shayna leaves, and then we see Nikki Cross is now also laughing at Dakota.
Vanessa Borne's entrance though... she carries herself like a big deal! I was so blown away by her entrance that I expected her to win despite not being a part of the Kai/Baszler angle. Looking forward to seeing more of her.

That said, I can't believe they used Baszler's attack on Borne as an intimidation technique directed at Kai and completely disregarded the things Vanessa said about her last week ("...I'm not afraid of Shayna Baszler..."). I'm also really looking forward to Nikki Cross's involvement in this as they can make her an immediate threat to Baszler's title, as Nikki is too crazy to be intimidated... I love it!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 10th, '18, 10:46

Bob-O wrote: May 10th, '18, 10:39
Big Red Machine wrote: May 10th, '18, 09:18 BURCH, LORCAN, & DUNNE BACKSTAGE- Burch & Lorcan made it clear that they only helped Dunne because they all have an issue with Undisputed Era. They came off like total dicks.
I liked it. Being a total dick is kind of Dunne's 'thing'. It makes the team seamless with little investment, and will get UE over in a Functioning Unit vs Guys That Need Help But Don't Want To Team kind of way. I'm remembering when the Shield made their debut and how awesome it was watching them work together...
For clarification purposes, I meant that only Lorcan and Burch came off like dicks. Your point still stands, though.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » May 10th, '18, 10:47

Big Red Machine wrote: May 10th, '18, 10:04
XIV wrote: May 10th, '18, 09:23

Umm... umm...
Aha! You caught my clever joke! Good eye, XIV. This was definitely a callback to the joke about Ricochet and The Velveteen Dream's segment coming off like act one of a slash fic and was absolutely definitely totally not a typo.
Ah of course, it all makes sense now...
Have A Nice Day!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 10th, '18, 12:08

I didn't really expect much more from Vanessa Bourne though. As great as her presence and charisma is, she's pretty much only been used as enhancement talent. Kai and Baszler gets better every week though...it definitely has me ready to see her kick Baszler.

Still don't like Baszler btw...her voice is so bad, she's immediately right into the spotlight, plus there's that whole "Female Baron Corbin" thing...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » May 10th, '18, 13:00

KILLdozer wrote: May 10th, '18, 12:08 I didn't really expect much more from Vanessa Bourne though. As great as her presence and charisma is, she's pretty much only been used as enhancement talent. Kai and Baszler gets better every week though...it definitely has me ready to see her kick Baszler.

Still don't like Baszler btw...her voice is so bad, she's immediately right into the spotlight, plus there's that whole "Female Baron Corbin" thing...
I actually went back and rewatched the entrances for that match because I thought I missed something with Vanessa Bourne, like "wait, who's this again"? Since the recent call ups, none of the ladies on the show are really established except for Kiari and Nikki, and we really haven't seen a whole lot of them either.

Dakota just seemed so generic compared to Bourne... her entrance, her ring attire, she felt like the enhancement talent. Lol, it's nxt... one clean win on TV is all you need to be a credible title contender (Cole vs Ohno anyone?)! Maybe this was it for Vanessa, haha!

As for Baszler's voice, I chose to look past it because she's a heel walks her talk, and we don't get enough of that. Tough, yes, but there's always that chickenshit "I'll fight you on MY terms" stuff that you don't get with Baszler, it's weird when she's not beating people up. I get more of a Lesnar vibe with her and less of a Corbin. Maybe she needs a Heyman in her life... Paul Ellering has an opening!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 10th, '18, 13:19

Baszler is definitely more Brock than Corbin because she has shown she can back it up.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 10th, '18, 14:38

No...people say she LOOKS like Corbin with the receding hairline lol.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 10th, '18, 14:52

KILLdozer wrote: May 10th, '18, 14:38 No...people say she LOOKS like Corbin with the receding hairline lol.
Her hair is clearly pulled back like MMA fighters do for their fights. That being said, she does appear to have a gigantic forehead.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » May 10th, '18, 16:04

KILLdozer wrote: May 10th, '18, 14:38 No...people say she LOOKS like Corbin with the receding hairline lol.
ImageImage

Welp... won't be unseeing this. Ever.

Fuck.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 10th, '18, 16:54

Bob-O wrote: May 10th, '18, 16:04
ImageImage

Welp... won't be unseeing this. Ever.

Fuck.
I'm just gonna go ahead and say it...she's one of the worst women wrestlers we've had to look at in a long long time lol.

Worst than Charlotte, and she looks just like Ric Flair.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 10th, '18, 18:03

They don't look at all the same to me.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation