Who's The Next 'Guy'?

Tell it to the world!!
Bob-O

Who's The Next 'Guy'?

Post by Bob-O » May 5th, '18, 07:59

The "Guy".

The top guy in the top promotion in the world. The guy that sells the tickets, the guy that non-fans associate with the product, the guy that is hands down the champion whether he's wearing the belt or chasing it. You know, THAT guy.

While WWE tries to transition away from John Cena, it's abundantly clear that Roman Reigns is not the answer. No matter what they do, it takes a special bit of charisma that only few have found to be "the guy" that Roman just doesn't carry.

So who does? We're all different kinds of fans here, we all scour different corners of the sport, we're all experts in so many different aspects of the business, and WWE has attained SO MUCH diverse talent recently surely the next 'guy' is on the roster. Given what you know and what you've seen, what do you think?

It's always though failure that you find your biggest success. They're eventually going to go with Roman, and it's not going to work, we know this. But, if history has taught us anything, whoever they go all-in with after will probably be the right answer. Let's say, 2 years out, who's your 'guy'?

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Who's The Next 'Guy'?

Post by cero2k » May 5th, '18, 09:08

I really believe that it can be Elias, he's got a good look, can talk, he's not big enough so he can be beaten by anyone, but big enough so that Vince would be ok with it, Trips would be ok with it, and he wouldn't be a underdog. We know wrestling ability doesn't equal merch/ticket sales anyway, so he really just needs to get slightly better than what he is right now to equal Cena or Reigns during the start of their respective pushes. Then you'll have your Balors/Rollins/Styles/Joes all there to put them over like Cena had Angle and Jericho.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » May 5th, '18, 10:53

cero2k wrote: May 5th, '18, 09:08 I really believe that it can be Elias, he's got a good look, can talk, he's not big enough so he can be beaten by anyone, but big enough so that Vince would be ok with it, Trips would be ok with it, and he wouldn't be a underdog. We know wrestling ability doesn't equal merch/ticket sales anyway, so he really just needs to get slightly better than what he is right now to equal Cena or Reigns during the start of their respective pushes. Then you'll have your Balors/Rollins/Styles/Joes all there to put them over like Cena had Angle and Jericho.
Haha! I wasn't even thinking about him when I wrote that, but I was comparing The Drifter gimmick to Cena's Rapper gimmick to somebody a few days ago! That if/when they turn him babyface, or even just give him some depth, he'll be off to the races.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 5th, '18, 11:36

so who's on your radar from the current roster?

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » May 5th, '18, 13:42

Actually, I thought of this while I was suggestion surfing YouTube and got stuck on Karl Anderson. The more I watched, the more I wondered why tf nobody was pushing this guy. He delivers a very "real" promo and could get over in a working man/Stone Cold kind of way. Then I saw how old he was...

AJ should be doing it RIGHT NOW, while he can, but he's getting the Ric Flair blackball treatment as an outsider. He'll forever be a Top Guy but never THE Guy.

I know if the lockerroom had anything to say about it, they'd just go with Rollins already. Everybody loves him, and he's got another 5 years of "prime" work, and if protected like a top talent could go at full steam another 10.

In a Dark Horse "they don't know what they've got" kind of way, I'd invite anyone to take a good hard look at Montez Ford and tell me he couldn't be the next 'guy'. Dude's got everything!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 5th, '18, 14:59

anyone who's seen what Karl Anderson can do in the ring by his matches in NJPW knows that he is one of the most misused guys in WWE right now, he could easily be a top heel

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 5th, '18, 19:20

Are talking from a Vince perspective? From a Vince perspective I assume it's going to be either Braun or Rollins. From a normal person perspective: Dragon, Joe, AJ, Adam Cole, Owens, and Sasha Banks seem like the best fits for the role. Bliss and Charlotte, too, if they can improve in the ring and on the mic as a babyface respectively.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 5th, '18, 21:32

I'm all in with Strowman. You know, bodybuilding ftw.

Sasha Banks definitely will be the one.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

XIV

Post by XIV » May 5th, '18, 23:46

Strowman is the obvious answer. Rollins too. Rollins is enough of a WWE guy by now that they won’t view him as that outsider like AJ & Joe. Obviously Daniel Bryan is back so that certainly help froms that side.

Elias is one or two good feuds away from being a top contender. Though sadly the singing gig can’t live forever, it will be what they do after that that defines him. I like Elias. Good talker, good look, good size, great overall heel and the matches are becoming more solid.
Have A Nice Day!

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » May 6th, '18, 06:27

Big Red Machine wrote: May 5th, '18, 19:20 Are talking from a Vince perspective? From a Vince perspective I assume it's going to be either Braun or Rollins. From a normal person perspective: Dragon, Joe, AJ, Adam Cole, Owens, and Sasha Banks seem like the best fits for the role. Bliss and Charlotte, too, if they can improve in the ring and on the mic as a babyface respectively.
I'm talking both, the face of the company. Who the next Cena, because we all know Roman won't cut it...

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 6th, '18, 13:08

Owens could be big but he'd have to do something size wise. They're obviously very high on him and always have been from the beginning.

It's NOT gonna be Miz.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 6th, '18, 14:40

Joe's whole "Oh yeah gonna kick this GUY'S ASS!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?!?!!!?!!" , constant promo style doesn't really help his case nor is that "top number one average good guy roll model material."

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 6th, '18, 14:41

Should've been Ryback by now...but...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 6th, '18, 14:44

KILLdozer wrote: May 6th, '18, 14:40 Joe's whole "Oh yeah gonna kick this GUY'S ASS!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?!?!!!?!!" , constant promo style doesn't really help his case nor is that "top number one average good guy roll model material."
The babyface version of it is definitely role-model material, though, and he's done that in ROH.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 6th, '18, 16:21

Big Red Machine wrote: May 6th, '18, 14:44
KILLdozer wrote: May 6th, '18, 14:40 Joe's whole "Oh yeah gonna kick this GUY'S ASS!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?!?!!!?!!" , constant promo style doesn't really help his case nor is that "top number one average good guy roll model material."
The babyface version of it is definitely role-model material, though, and he's done that in ROH.
I figured it must have been a lot different. I'm sure I've seen it in tna years ago at more than one period of time.

Plus...his size and that...neckbeard lol.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 6th, '18, 16:50

It's obviously Roman Reigns though...after all :

"Not a good guy. Not a bad guy. THAT/THE guy."

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » May 6th, '18, 19:06

If I'm Vince...

Joe's too fat and too old.
Ryback can't talk and his face is that of an inbred potato.
Owens is also too fat, too short, and too many videos on the internet of him that'll get me in trouble somehow.
AJ talks like a hillbilly.
Adam Cole is too small.
Daniel Bryan lol... the fans are idiots, they don't know what they want. I heard he doesn't even eat meat!
Sasha Banks doesn't have a penis.

Jokes aside, though, I have a hard time believing he'd give the torch to a talent that he didn't create. Meaning; Joe, Owens, AJ, Cole, Nakamura and so on are out by default, whereas somebody like Sami Zayne could be in consideration for getting over with an original gimmick... silly as it sounds, who's he pushed to that "elite" level (besides Hogan) that had the same gimmick/character elsewhere? Goldberg for a hot minute, maybe?

What about EC3? I'm not anywhere near familiar with his work in TNA, but he was a great comedy bit before leaving to there. He's got a great look, his promo work is off the charts, he's got a WBF type build... If they washed the TNA Stank off him, could he be an option, or am I missing something...?

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 6th, '18, 19:47

Maybe McIntyre wouldn't be bad...as much of a deja-vu as that seems like it...but it's possible. Lashley seemed to possibly be headed somewhere big in the past...but no presence or real charisma on the Mic, I've heard others say.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 6th, '18, 19:52

Bob-O wrote: May 6th, '18, 19:06
Pics or it didn't happen.

Let Sasha be the face of the company.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 6th, '18, 19:55

Big Red Machine wrote: May 6th, '18, 19:52
Bob-O wrote: May 6th, '18, 19:06
Pics or it didn't happen.

Let Sasha be the face of the company.
Well I mean yeah, everyone knows she's better than...

?Alexa Bliss?