BRM Reviews the 4/24/2018 205 Live (Gauntlet Match!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 4/24/2018 205 Live (Gauntlet Match!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 25th, '18, 14:27

We started off with a Drake Maverick-narrated video package building up tonight’s Gauntlet Match and everyone in it. Excellent!

GAUNTLET MATCH FOR A CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE SHOT AT THE GREATEST ROYAL RUMBLE: Mustafa Ali vs. TJP vs. Drew Gulak vs. Tony Nese vs. Kalisto- 8.75/10
They gave us a split-screen interview with Cedric Alexander during part of this match. There was no reason this couldn’t have been done right before the match. The first two matches told the story of the Ali’s knee being worked over. Against TJP he was able to fight thorugh the pain but against Gulak it became too much for him to overcome. We then got a hard-hitting grudge match between Nese and Gulak, and a good final match between Gulak and Kalisto One little bit that I really liked was Gulak slowing things down by bailing out as Kalisto match starts to try to recover some of his wind before Kalisto can take advantage of the fact that he is fresh and Gulak had wrestled three matches. During this match they cut to a Dasha-Fuentes non-interview with Tony Nese, who said nothing.
Kalisto got the win, so he goes on to the Greatest Royal Rumble to challenge Cedric. I was quite shocked at this result because I figured they would do Cedric vs. Ali and give the Muslim guy the win in the Muslim country. Even if he doesn’t win, not having Ali in some sort of featured spot is, frankly, a little ridiculous considering that you’re going to a Muslim country and he’s the only Muslim babyface on the roster.

Anyway, yet another excellent episode of 205 Live. I could be wrong, but I don’ think they actually cut to any commercials during this show, which was something I liked a lot. They don’t cut to commercials while play is continuing during live MMA fights or basketball games or whatever, so you really should try to minimize it in wrestling.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Re: BRM Reviews the 4/24/2018 205 Live (Gauntlet Match!)

Post by XIV » Apr 26th, '18, 05:09

Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 25th, '18, 14:27

Anyway, yet another excellent episode of 205 Live. I could be wrong, but I don’ think they actually cut to any commercials during this show, which was something I liked a lot. They don’t cut to commercials while play is continuing during live MMA fights or basketball games or whatever, so you really should try to minimize it in wrestling.
I actually figured that this was geared up for Ali to win this and win at GRR for that muslim babyface pop. But oviously not. It is a strange decision not to have him feature (though I expect he'll pop up in the rumble)
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 26th, '18, 09:46

XIV wrote: Apr 26th, '18, 05:09

I actually figured that this was geared up for Ali to win this and win at GRR for that muslim babyface pop. But oviously not. It is a strange decision not to have him feature (though I expect he'll pop up in the rumble)
Zayn will pop up in the Rumble, too, as will Daivari (who might well get a heel reaction, given current geopolitical issues and/or what most people- myself included- are assuming to be a more mark-ish crowd), but it'll be as one of fifty people, and we know Vince won't let Daivari or Ali do too well because they're just Cruiserweights. Zayn might the Great Muslim Hope in that match, but I'm not sure Vince will even put him over because he'll probably see it as too big of a spot for Zayn. Putting Zayn over makes a lot of sense, though, even if you do think like Vince because you'd be putting over the hometown favorite while also supposedly throwing the smarks a bone while you're really just lining up a challenger for Roman who you don't actually care about so you can have Roman beat him cleanly.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Post by XIV » Apr 27th, '18, 05:29

Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 26th, '18, 09:46
XIV wrote: Apr 26th, '18, 05:09

Zayn will pop up in the Rumble, too, as will Daivari (who might well get a heel reaction, given current geopolitical issues and/or what most people- myself included- are assuming to be a more mark-ish crowd), but it'll be as one of fifty people, and we know Vince won't let Daivari or Ali do too well because they're just Cruiserweights. Zayn might the Great Muslim Hope in that match, but I'm not sure Vince will even put him over because he'll probably see it as too big of a spot for Zayn. Putting Zayn over makes a lot of sense, though, even if you do think like Vince because you'd be putting over the hometown favorite while also supposedly throwing the smarks a bone while you're really just lining up a challenger for Roman who you don't actually care about so you can have Roman beat him cleanly.
Can't argue about the sense here.
Have A Nice Day!