BRM Reviews the 3/28/2018 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 3/28/2018 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 29th, '18, 07:54

REGAL & CIAMPA SEGMENT EARLIER TODAY- good
Ciampa yelled at Regal for Gargano attacking him various places, from house shows to physical therapy to even claiming that Gargano showed up at Ciampa’s house at 3 am. Regal says that it’s not right that Gargano should do this and so they need to somehow make this problem go away. The way Regal comes up with to do this is an unsanctioned match at Takeover in which is Gargano wins he gets his job back, but if Ciampa wins he is gone forever. So… basically the same stips as the Owens & Zayn match at WrestleMania.
The execution here was excellent and the “unsanctioned match” thing seems like a fine kayfabe workaround, but at the same time I’m still not totally thrilled with the idea of Gargano being able to regain his job after losing an apuesta. I think it would be much better to stick him on the main roster after this because 1) Smackdown’s midcard definitely needs the help, and 2) it’s always best to not go back on your stips.

WILLIAM REGAL MAKES HIS BIG ANNOUNCEMENT- We’re getting a new title belt: the North American Title. His announcement is interrupted by one EC III, who naturally presumes that the title has been created specifically to be given to him. Regal gently sets him straight. Regal said that he knows Ethan is very good because he has proven himself in his “previous time here.” I am going to pretend that the “here” in question refers to the greater Orlando area rather than NXT because I think it’s best for the character if everyone just forgets that Derrick Bateman ever existed. Regal announces that Ethan will be one of six men competing for the title at Takeover: New Orleans in the (really shouldn’t be but is) obligatory WrestleMania weekend Ladder Match.

TMDK INTERVIEW- they were asked about their loss in the opening round of the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic. I noticed Shayna Baszler arguing with someone in the background, and because this is pre-taped I figured something was going to happen so I was a lot more focused on them than I was on TMDK. Turns out I was right because Ember Moon showed up to brawl with Baszler.

DUSTY RHODES TAG TEAM CLASSIC SEMIFINAL MATCH: The Street Profits vs. The Authors of Pain (w/Paul Ellering)- 1/10
Dawkins got in a bunch of offense, but then got dominated and beaten.

CATHY KELLEY INTERVIEWS WILLIAMS REGAL- she asks him who else will be in the North American Title match. He says that the only person he has decided on so far is Adam Cole. The Velveteen Dream shows up and pitches himself, and Regal agrees that TVD deserves to be in the match as well.

LARS SULLIVAN vs. JOHN SILVER- squash

CATHY KELLEY BOTHERS REGAL AGAIN- she asks him the same question as before. Lars Sullivan walks up and Regal tells him that he is in the match. Lars then cut a promo that was perfectly fine. He also said that he wants to fight Killian Dane. Regal told him that not only is Dane also in the Ladder Match for the North American Title, but also that those two will wrestle each other next week.

DAKOTA KAI vs. ?-
This match never got underway because we cut to Almas assaulting Aleister Black in the parking lot instead. He beat him up all the way out to the ring and then hit him with a chair.

DUSTY RHODES TAG TEAM CLASSIC SEMIFINAL MATCH: Roderick Strong & Pete Dunne vs. SAnitY- 7/10
Roddy & Dunne picked up the upset win. The finals are next week and the results seem pretty obvious.

CATHY KELLEY BOTHERS REGAL AGAIN- The final competitor in the match will be the not-yet-named Ricochet.

A decent show from NXT. It was okay in the ring, but the Takeover build was strong.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Re: BRM Reviews the 3/28/2018 NXT

Post by Bob-O » Mar 29th, '18, 10:47

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 29th, '18, 07:54 WILLIAM REGAL MAKES HIS BIG ANNOUNCEMENT- We’re getting a new title belt: the North American Title. His announcement is interrupted by one EC III, who naturally presumes that the title has been created specifically to be given to him. Regal gently sets him straight. Regal said that he knows Ethan is very good because he has proven himself in his “previous time here.” I am going to pretend that the “here” in question refers to the greater Orlando area rather than NXT because I think it’s best for the character if everyone just forgets that Derrick Bateman ever existed. Regal announces that Ethan will be one of six men competing for the title at Takeover: New Orleans in the (really shouldn’t be but is) obligatory WrestleMania weekend Ladder Match.
Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 29th, '18, 07:54 CATHY KELLEY INTERVIEWS WILLIAMS REGAL- she asks him who else will be in the North American Title match. He says that the only person he has decided on so far is Adam Cole. The Velveteen Dream shows up and pitches himself, and Regal agrees that TVD deserves to be in the match as well.
Hahaha! This is too great.

"I'm going to make a huge announcement next week! Gonna change the whole landscape!"

(next week) "We've got a new belt to fight over! Gonna crown the new champ at Takeover, it's gonna be EPIC, big ol' ladder match! Oh? Who's going to be in it? Meh, I don't f*ckin know. Adam Cole for sure, and a few other guys pro'lly. Whoever, first come first serve sounds good enough to me. Right of the street works, whatever...."

Get it together, Regal! You should have just fired Percy Watson.
Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 29th, '18, 07:54 The way Regal comes up with to do this is an unsanctioned match at Takeover in which is Gargano wins he gets his job back, but if Ciampa wins he is gone forever.
Wasn't that the stipulation before, though? What exactly is "Gone Forever"? They're going to murder Johnny Gargano if Ciampa wins? He was already supposed to be gone forever, winning an unsanctioned match isn't going to stop Gargano from harassing Ciampa outside of work. I don't like the idea of "unsanctioned" match either. WTF is that? It's going to be in an NXT ring, with NXT refs, and I'll bet Gargano even gets an entrance. Just book the match, man. "Hey, if you want him that bad, I'll bring him back for a night, but if he wins he's got his job back..." It's just so stupid to me, this non-sanctioned stuff. When Miz grabbed the contract on a pole as Kid Canada, THAT made sense. This just wreaks of writing the end of the angle first and never really figuring out how you plan on getting there, the reason I've ALWAYS hated Loser Leaves Town matches in which you KNOW gd well the loser is NOT in fact leaving town. Why not have Johnny earn his roster spot back on Smackdown or even 205 in a little cross promotion, then have them settle things at Takeover? It took me two seconds to think of that! Their rivalry is personal, heated, and they're going to have a hell of a match - they don't NEED a stipulation for this on PPV!

Unless they do plan on actually murdering Johnny Gargano. That wouldn't make sense for free tv, even if they were cross-promoting.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 30th, '18, 09:17

I legitimately already forgot about Lars Sullivan. He's not that impressive. I've seen him struggle to do big power moves on Ohno before for crying out loud lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 30th, '18, 14:41

Bob-O wrote: Mar 29th, '18, 10:47
Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 29th, '18, 07:54 The way Regal comes up with to do this is an unsanctioned match at Takeover in which is Gargano wins he gets his job back, but if Ciampa wins he is gone forever.
Wasn't that the stipulation before, though? What exactly is "Gone Forever"? They're going to murder Johnny Gargano if Ciampa wins? He was already supposed to be gone forever, winning an unsanctioned match isn't going to stop Gargano from harassing Ciampa outside of work. I don't like the idea of "unsanctioned" match either. WTF is that? It's going to be in an NXT ring, with NXT refs, and I'll bet Gargano even gets an entrance. Just book the match, man. "Hey, if you want him that bad, I'll bring him back for a night, but if he wins he's got his job back..." It's just so stupid to me, this non-sanctioned stuff. When Miz grabbed the contract on a pole as Kid Canada, THAT made sense. This just wreaks of writing the end of the angle first and never really figuring out how you plan on getting there, the reason I've ALWAYS hated Loser Leaves Town matches in which you KNOW gd well the loser is NOT in fact leaving town. Why not have Johnny earn his roster spot back on Smackdown or even 205 in a little cross promotion, then have them settle things at Takeover? It took me two seconds to think of that! Their rivalry is personal, heated, and they're going to have a hell of a match - they don't NEED a stipulation for this on PPV!

Unless they do plan on actually murdering Johnny Gargano. That wouldn't make sense for free tv, even if they were cross-promoting.
Yeah. It's a little weird. The "unsanctioned" part isn't so much for the weapons as it is to explain why Gargano is allowed to be in the match. Basically, they're giving him one last chance to earn his job back because Ciampa screwed him. The "gone forever" means they won't give him another chance ever again. Like I said, I don't like that this is, in essence, going back on the stip, but it does kind of work in this story because Ciampa screwed Gargano. If Gargano had just straight up lost a Loser Leaves Town Match to Ciampa it wouldn't work, but I think it does here.

Also, I'd argue that Gargano being signed to SD or 205 Live still wouldn't theoretically void the Loser Leaves Town stip. He'd be on the main roster, but still theoretically shouldn't be allowed on NXT (like Bo Dallas or The Drifter).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3