BRM Reviews the 2/8/2018 Impact

All Impact Wrestling (FKA TNA/GFW 2017) Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 2/8/2018 Impact

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 12th, '18, 12:47

Last week we had a big main event tag team match of Johnny Impact & Moose vs. Alberto El Patron & Ethan Carter III in which Moose pinned Alberto… and now, tonight, they’re all right back on equal footing because they’re all going to face off in a #1 contendership match. So basically, the match they spent all of their first week building up has been rendered entirely meaningless by the beginning of the second show.

EL HIJO DEL FANTASMA & ROHIT RAJU vs. TAIJI ISHIMORI & MATT SYDAL- 6.5/10
Are we sure this is the same Ishimori from Pro Wrestling NOAH? He really doesn’t look like the same dude. He also look a lot younger. Speaking of people who look young, I’m not sure the referee has graduated from high school yet. Or even had his testicles fully drop.
Josh Matthews and Sonjay Dutt are on commentary because there is both an Indian guy in the match and because this is an X-Division match. We were about four minutes into this perfectly fine but in no way stand-out tag team match when Josh felt the need to describe it as “stellar.” Why do announcers feel the need to exaggerate things to such a ridiculous, credibility-killing degree?
This was a very good match, but there was never any real sense of urgency, even towards the end. I have no problem with a match wrestled at a slower pace than your standard indy-riffic PWG-esque match, but what those matches often lack in storytelling they try to make up for with action. In a match with a slower pace, I’d expect the opposite trade-off, but we really didn’t get that here.

AUSTIN ARIES PRESS CONFERENCE/PROMO- he says he hasn’t signed a contract but isn’t part of the roster. He is asked what will happen if he loses the title at a non-Impact Wrestling event, which is actually the second time such a thing has been brought up tonight (Josh mentioned the possibility of Ishimori losing the X-Division Title in NOAH.
I REALLY dislike this angle, for a few different reasons:
1. So what if he loses the belt at someone else’s show? Then TNA will just bring that guy in, won’t they? We’ve got NOAH guys on the show and we’ve got AAA guys on the show and guys from whoever Konan is working with at the moment, and didn’t we spend a good chunk of last year watching TNA titles being defended at non-TNA events? Why not just bring in this new champion, even if it’s someone from a promotion they haven’t worked with before like wXw or 5 Star Wrestling or MCW? And if the guy Aries loses the belt to doesn’t want to come in, doesn’t that just bury TNA and their world title for not being worth defending?

2. TNA doesn’t control their own belt? I mean… apparently not, based on the fact that they didn’t have to authorize last week’s title match, but if this sort of thing is such a concern then why don’t they control their own belt? Am I to believe that even after having been in this situation before with AJ Styles and then with the GFW guys, they didn’t learn their lesson? (Then again, that does sound like TNA, doesn’t it?)
Even if we modify it to just the idea of Aries getting beaten in a non-title match, thus casting doubt over whether or not he really deserves to be the champion, doesn’t the idea that this guy wouldn’t want to have the resulting title shot (whether in TNA or elsewhere) create the same problem as #1 where it buries TNA and the title as not being worth this person’s time?

3. This angle, at this point, feels played out. We’ve seen it with the GFW guys, we’ve seen it with AJ, which is twice in four years in TNA alone, plus ROH trying and bungling it with Cody last year, plus Ishii with the TV Title the year before (although that might have been him working his own angle), so that’s at least three or four times in the past four years, and I think the shadow of the Punk angle in WWE still looms large in wrestling fans’ collective minds- less for the angle itself as much as for the idea of what WWE should strive to be, but it is still definitely in the zeitgeist- and that was less than seven years ago.

4. Even without that, the thing that is really necessary to make this angle work (both for the emotional punch it packs which helps to overcome #3 and the fact that it explains away issue #1) is a credible threat. Vince doesn’t feel he needs to get the belt off of Bret in Montreal if there is no WCW to brag about the WWF World Heavyweight Champion leaving WWF to come wrestle for them (and for Vince to worry about Bret tossing the belt in the trash on). CM Punk saying he’s going to leave the WWE as WWE Champion doesn’t feel anywhere near as important of a threat if he doesn’t say he’s going to take the belt with him and defend it in New Japan and ROH, two promotions who were seen as really beginning to nip at WWE’s heels at the time, the former with their tour of the USA that spring and the latter with their recent sale to Sinclair Broadcasting and setting a new high in both live attendance and iPPV buys just a few days prior at Best in the World 2011 (and Kevin Steen’s big return on that show creating even more buzz). Even with the heat between ROH and CZW, it wouldn’t feel like it would be anywhere near as disastrous for ROH if Chris Hero had won the ROH World Title at Hell Freezes Over if Hero hadn’t cut a promo in which he announced his intention to win the title solely for the purpose of throwing it in the trash. Even just the (mostly imagined) enmity between WWE and the indies allowed it to feel like CM Punk’s promise to present the ROH World Title to Vince McMahon was this major existential threat to the company.
TNA just doesn’t have that right now. Yeah, they’ve probably still got heat with New Japan over the Okada thing and yeah WWE still doesn’t really care for them and I’m sure there are no warm feelings between them and Corgan or them and Aro Lucha, and there is an amount of historical enmity with ROH, but there just isn’t enough to make it feel like any of these promotions would really care enough to gloat about having the TNA World Heavyweight Champion on their roster and/or throwing the belt in the trash. There isn’t even any real historical heat to build on a la AAA and CMLL or All Japan and New Japan or ECW and NWA New Jersey or even WWC and IWA. Hell, this isn’t even XPW moving into Philly and being dicks to ROH, CZW, and 3PW. There just doesn’t feel like there is a real threat here.

ELI DRAKE SHOWS UP TO YELL AT ARIES AT THE PRESS CONFERENCE- this part was good, and resulted in a rematch being signed for next week… but if this all happened last week like they said on the screen and the above issue is such a problem, why wasn’t this match booked for this week and not next week? (And also, a pet peeve: if Drake is getting a title shot next week then unless the winner of tonight’s four-way is getting a title shot tonight too or unless Aries is wrestling twice next week, that match isn’t really a “#1 contendership match” like they’re calling it.)

REPLAY OF ARIES WINNING HIS FIRST TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE TO SHILL THE GWN- this should not have gone seven freakin’ minutes.

THE CULT OF LEE vs. TECH- squash
The Cult of Lee are wearing the bandanas they stole from LAX last week. They also mocked LAX a bit during the match.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- LAX appeared on the AnthemTron and Konnan cut a good promo on Lee & Konley. Then LAX’s music played, but they never showed up so we were left with the odd visual of Lee and Konley celebrating while someone else’s music played. They look like total goofs.

KIERA HOGAN & ALLIE BACKSTAGE- Allie was very friendly. The problem is that she really doesn’t seem to have progressed at all in the past few years. Then some dude showed up with a Valentine’s Day card for Allie from a secret admirer. Isn’t she married? Or at least kayfabe dating Braxton Sutter?

MCKENZIE INTERVIEWS MOOSE- awesome promo from Moose about what getting the chance to challenge for the world title would mean to him.

TNA KNOCKOUTS TITLE MATCH: Laurel Van Ness(c) vs. Kiera Hogan 2.5/10
Laurel won a match that wasn’t long enough to make Kiera feel like she deserves to be a part of the roster. Kiera took a horrific bump for the Unprettier on the finish.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
Laurel attacked Kiera after the match so Allie came out and made the save.

OVE’S SPY CAMERA SPIES ON… LASHLEY?- whatever.

BRIAN CAGE IS COMING NEXT WEEK- boo.

MCKENZIE INTERVIEWS EC III- decent promo by Ethan

JIMMY JACOBS (& KONGO) PROMO- the background and blocking were very reminiscent of an Abyss/James Mitchell promo from 2005-2006, which I assume was the point. Jimmy promo was good.

MATT SYDAL PROMO- yeah… I think he’s just on drugs rather than having an actual spiritual adviser. I guess the purpose of this was to build up next week’s Ishimori vs. El Hijo del Fantasma match that is apparently happening, but that was pretty much lost in the middle of Sydal’s ramblings.

MORE SPY CAMERA FOOTAGE- they beat Lashley up and locked him in the trunk of his own car. This would have been fine except that the stupid special effects they added in to make it look grittier wound up making it basically unwatchable.

HANIA THE HUNTRESS vs. AMBER NOVA- 3/10
Hania won. She needs to knock that stupid screaming off. The commentary for this match was terrible.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- Rosemary attacked Hania, looking for revenge for a previous attack, but Hania managed to escape before getting hit with the Red Wedding.

#1 CONTENDERSHIP MATCH: Alberto El Patron vs. Ethan Carter III vs. Johnny Impact vs. Moose- 7.75/10
On commentary, Josh said that EC III “has recently made headlines,” which seems like it can only refer to him leaving TNA to go to NXT, so why the hell would you bring it up? And especially when I’m supposed to be concerned about Aries losing the belt in a different company, but now no one is worried about Ethan winning it?
These guys overcame some sloppiness early on to have a pretty great four-way (although I almost put Josh Matthews claiming it was the “Match of the Year” in the Stupid Announcer Quotes” section). The main story was Moose’s knee getting injured, and he mostly sold it well. The crowd brawling was pretty good, but the camera-work during it was horrendous. Johnny Impact rolled Ethan up for the pin.

This was a very middling show from TNA. The main event scene and Konnan promos seem to be the only things that can really be counted on to deliver. The show isn’t particularly bad or anything like that, but it’s not really interesting, either. Even the idea of something like Sami Callihan vs. Lashley just doesn’t feel appealing in this setting. If you booked that match in PWG or EVOLVE or Beyond or AAW and it was a one-off I’d be interested in it to see how they would mesh their styles, but throw it in a setting like Impact (or ROH) where it’s going to be a program and one where I don’t trust them to book it well and it loses its appeal. The announcing is terrible. Not in the “stupid announcer quotes” way, but in the sort of “generally bad wrestling commentary” way. It manages to simultaneously feel too indy, with guys talking about “signature moves” and how “you don’t have to be involved in ‘the finish’ to lose a four-way,” and yet also feel like WWE commentary with all of the branding cut out (which is less obnoxious than usual WWE commentary, but they still mostly jabber back and forth about things rather than call and analyze the match in front of them). I’m not sure how much longer I’ll hold out. My original plan had been to give them until the PPV, but t this rate that might change.

STUPID ANNOUNCER QUOTES:
1. Josh Matthews, the play-by-play announcer, asks Sonjay Dutt “What’s the difference between a biel and a hip toss?”

2. After seeing the attack on Lashely, Josh said he was “trying to put the pieces together” and trying to “figure out what this all means.”
I think you’d have to be an idiot to not understand what it means. If Sonjay Dutt hadn’t been right there to explain it to Josh in basic terms, he’d probably still be scratching his head and trying to figure it out.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 2/8/2018 Impact

Post by cero2k » Feb 12th, '18, 13:50

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 12th, '18, 12:47

AUSTIN ARIES PRESS CONFERENCE/PROMO- he says he hasn’t signed a contract but isn’t part of the roster. He is asked what will happen if he loses the title at a non-Impact Wrestling event, which is actually the second time such a thing has been brought up tonight (Josh mentioned the possibility of Ishimori losing the X-Division Title in NOAH.
1. So what if he loses the belt at someone else’s show? Then TNA will just bring that guy in, won’t they? We’ve got NOAH guys on the show and we’ve got AAA guys on the show and guys from whoever Konan is working with at the moment, and didn’t we spend a good chunk of last year watching TNA titles being defended at non-TNA events? Why not just bring in this new champion, even if it’s someone from a promotion they haven’t worked with before like wXw or 5 Star Wrestling or MCW? And if the guy Aries loses the belt to doesn’t want to come in, doesn’t that just bury TNA and their world title for not being worth defending?

2. TNA doesn’t control their own belt? I mean… apparently not, based on the fact that they didn’t have to authorize last week’s title match, but if this sort of thing is such a concern then why don’t they control their own belt? Am I to believe that even after having been in this situation before with AJ Styles and then with the GFW guys, they didn’t learn their lesson? (Then again, that does sound like TNA, doesn’t it?)
Even if we modify it to just the idea of Aries getting beaten in a non-title match, thus casting doubt over whether or not he really deserves to be the champion, doesn’t the idea that this guy wouldn’t want to have the resulting title shot (whether in TNA or elsewhere) create the same problem as #1 where it buries TNA and the title as not being worth this person’s time?
Not everyone has a Visa nor you can always assume that everyone will sign for other reasons. Punk wouldn't sign in 2011 to the biggest promotion in the world. But even then, Impact's mentions of outside companies are only used when it makes reference to them, they're not gonna go ahead and mention bookings that won't build them. Apollo Crews defeated Moose during the weekend, neither promotion is gonna mention that match because it helps no one advertise it.

3. This angle, at this point, feels played out. We’ve seen it with the GFW guys, we’ve seen it with AJ, which is twice in four years in TNA alone, plus ROH trying and bungling it with Cody last year, plus Ishii with the TV Title the year before (although that might have been him working his own angle), so that’s at least three or four times in the past four years, and I think the shadow of the Punk angle in WWE still looms large in wrestling fans’ collective minds- less for the angle itself as much as for the idea of what WWE should strive to be, but it is still definitely in the zeitgeist- and that was less than seven years ago.

4. Even without that, the thing that is really necessary to make this angle work (both for the emotional punch it packs which helps to overcome #3 and the fact that it explains away issue #1) is a credible threat. Vince doesn’t feel he needs to get the belt off of Bret in Montreal if there is no WCW to brag about the WWF World Heavyweight Champion leaving WWF to come wrestle for them (and for Vince to worry about Bret tossing the belt in the trash on). CM Punk saying he’s going to leave the WWE as WWE Champion doesn’t feel anywhere near as important of a threat if he doesn’t say he’s going to take the belt with him and defend it in New Japan and ROH, two promotions who were seen as really beginning to nip at WWE’s heels at the time, the former with their tour of the USA that spring and the latter with their recent sale to Sinclair Broadcasting and setting a new high in both live attendance and iPPV buys just a few days prior at Best in the World 2011 (and Kevin Steen’s big return on that show creating even more buzz). Even with the heat between ROH and CZW, it wouldn’t feel like it would be anywhere near as disastrous for ROH if Chris Hero had won the ROH World Title at Hell Freezes Over if Hero hadn’t cut a promo in which he announced his intention to win the title solely for the purpose of throwing it in the trash. Even just the (mostly imagined) enmity between WWE and the indies allowed it to feel like CM Punk’s promise to present the ROH World Title to Vince McMahon was this major existential threat to the company.
TNA just doesn’t have that right now. Yeah, they’ve probably still got heat with New Japan over the Okada thing and yeah WWE still doesn’t really care for them and I’m sure there are no warm feelings between them and Corgan or them and Aro Lucha, and there is an amount of historical enmity with ROH, but there just isn’t enough to make it feel like any of these promotions would really care enough to gloat about having the TNA World Heavyweight Champion on their roster and/or throwing the belt in the trash. There isn’t even any real historical heat to build on a la AAA and CMLL or All Japan and New Japan or ECW and NWA New Jersey or even WWC and IWA. Hell, this isn’t even XPW moving into Philly and being dicks to ROH, CZW, and 3PW. There just doesn’t feel like there is a real threat here.
it's wrestling, everything is played out, except this isn't about Aries not being signed, I think we're both focusing too much on the wrong details

ELI DRAKE SHOWS UP TO YELL AT ARIES AT THE PRESS CONFERENCE- this part was good, and resulted in a rematch being signed for next week… but if this all happened last week like they said on the screen and the above issue is such a problem, why wasn’t this match booked for this week and not next week? (And also, a pet peeve: if Drake is getting a title shot next week then unless the winner of tonight’s four-way is getting a title shot tonight too or unless Aries is wrestling twice next week, that match isn’t really a “#1 contendership match” like they’re calling it.)
one's a rematch and the other is a #1 contender. Nakamura is #1 contender right now, but if AJ loses the title, Nakamura is still the #1 contender. It's smart to have another contender there ready regardless of who keeps the title next week, this isn't like Charlotte vs Sasha that just trade the titles, Drake should be gone from the title scene for now after thursday

KIERA HOGAN & ALLIE BACKSTAGE- Allie was very friendly. The problem is that she really doesn’t seem to have progressed at all in the past few years. Then some dude showed up with a Valentine’s Day card for Allie from a secret admirer. Isn’t she married? Or at least kayfabe dating Braxton Sutter?
Sutter and Allie haven't been seen together on Impact for months.. She's just meeting the secret admirer,
not making out yet.

what's wrong with Cage?

#1 CONTENDERSHIP MATCH: Alberto El Patron vs. Ethan Carter III vs. Johnny Impact vs. Moose- 7.75/10
On commentary, Josh said that EC III “has recently made headlines,” which seems like it can only refer to him leaving TNA to go to NXT, so why the hell would you bring it up? And especially when I’m supposed to be concerned about Aries losing the belt in a different company, but now no one is worried about Ethan winning it?
These guys overcame some sloppiness early on to have a pretty great four-way (although I almost put Josh Matthews claiming it was the “Match of the Year” in the Stupid Announcer Quotes” section). The main story was Moose’s knee getting injured, and he mostly sold it well. The crowd brawling was pretty good, but the camera-work during it was horrendous. Johnny Impact rolled Ethan up for the pin.
I for the most part hate exaggerated-unrealistic commentary, but at least this match could be considered Impact MOTY so far

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 12th, '18, 15:47

cero2k wrote: Feb 12th, '18, 13:50
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 12th, '18, 12:47

Not everyone has a Visa nor you can always assume that everyone will sign for other reasons. Punk wouldn't sign in 2011 to the biggest promotion in the world. But even then, Impact's mentions of outside companies are only used when it makes reference to them, they're not gonna go ahead and mention bookings that won't build them. Apollo Crews defeated Moose during the weekend, neither promotion is gonna mention that match because it helps no one advertise it.
But my point is that it shouldn't be an issue. If the guy has no visa and you're worried about "losing" use of the title, either you don't allow the title to be on the line or you make sure you can get the guy a visa before any match takes place. They also didn't specify a fear that Aries would lose the title to a promotion in another country. They were just worried about him losing the title somewhere outside of TNA.
The reason Punk didn;t sign with the company, like with AJ in 2013, was that he was angry with the company. We've gotten no sign that Aries is anything other than thrilled to be in TNA.

it's wrestling, everything is played out, except this isn't about Aries not being signed, I think we're both focusing too much on the wrong details
Yes, pretty much everything is played out, but this is an angle that should be done sparingly that we have seen several times over the past few years just in TNA alone. The cure to an angle being played out is simply to do it well. How many zillion times have you seen a guy turn on his partner? But you're still psyched for Ciampa vs. Gargano, right? My point here is that TNA trying to do this angle without the most important ingredient to make it work.
I don't think we're focusing on the wrong thing things. This has to be about Aries being signed, otherwise there was no reason for those specific question to be asked. There were a million other things that could have been asked. Also, Josh also brought the idea up in reference to Ishimori possibly losing the X-Division Title in Japan, so it's clearly an idea they want in our heads.

one's a rematch and the other is a #1 contender. Nakamura is #1 contender right now, but if AJ loses the title, Nakamura is still the #1 contender. It's smart to have another contender there ready regardless of who keeps the title next week, this isn't like Charlotte vs Sasha that just trade the titles, Drake should be gone from the title scene for now after thursday
No. Nakamura isn't the #1 contender. He's the #1 contender at WrestleMania. You're only the "#1 contender" if no one else getting a title shot before you. Once the Aries vs. Drake match ends, then Johnny Impact will become the #1 contender. I know it's a nit-pick, but it bugs me because it shows a lack of attention to detail. There is no reason they couldn't have said that this match "if for a future shot at the TNA World Heavyweight Title" and it would have meant just as much and would also have the benefit of being true.

Sutter and Allie haven't been seen together on Impact for months.. She's just meeting the secret admirer,
not making out yet.

And said secret admirer could well turn out to be Braxton Sutter. But if a dude involved in a relationship with someone goes missing for months, I'd like to have it addressed. It's the same issue as Rusev and Lana suddenly not interacting with each other without any sort of explanation. Even something as simple as having Allie say this is the first love-letter she's gotten ever since she and Braxton broke up. Something to at least let me as a viewer know that they aren't just having a major storyline totally disappear into thin air.

what's wrong with Cage?
He's mostly a spot-monkey. Not necessarily with flips, but he's the kind of guy who takes whatever he saw done in Japan and then does it but with no psychology.

I for the most part hate exaggerated-unrealistic commentary, but at least this match could be considered Impact MOTY so far
Then he should say that. Or better yet, don't call it a "match of the year" when there have been a whole bunch of matches several stratospheres higher than this. All he needed to do was say that this was a "GREAT!" match and no one would disagree with him. Yes, calling it MOTY puts it over stronger, but it's not the sort of thing that needs to get put over like that. If he had called it great, no one would have sat there thinking "Josh really undersold that."

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 12th, '18, 20:49

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 12th, '18, 15:47
But my point is that it shouldn't be an issue. If the guy has no visa and you're worried about "losing" use of the title, either you don't allow the title to be on the line or you make sure you can get the guy a visa before any match takes place. They also didn't specify a fear that Aries would lose the title to a promotion in another country. They were just worried about him losing the title somewhere outside of TNA.
The reason Punk didn;t sign with the company, like with AJ in 2013, was that he was angry with the company. We've gotten no sign that Aries is anything other than thrilled to be in TNA.

But in that case, Impact hasn't made losing the title outside an issue, Josh may have brought it up,
but he's also a heel commentator that is just looking for all arguments to go against Aries as champion. Impact itself hasn't really made it an issue

Yes, pretty much everything is played out, but this is an angle that should be done sparingly that we have seen several times over the past few years just in TNA alone. The cure to an angle being played out is simply to do it well. How many zillion times have you seen a guy turn on his partner? But you're still psyched for Ciampa vs. Gargano, right? My point here is that TNA trying to do this angle without the most important ingredient to make it work.
I don't think we're focusing on the wrong thing things. This has to be about Aries being signed, otherwise there was no reason for those specific question to be asked. There were a million other things that could have been asked. Also, Josh also brought the idea up in reference to Ishimori possibly losing the X-Division Title in Japan, so it's clearly an idea they want in our heads.

I think it's an idea we should always have, especially when your championships are actual world titles. If it is indeed something that is a story, then we have to take it as it is and acknowledge that as of now, there is no screen authority, and so wrestlers can make/take challenges when they see fit over their own championships (hence Drake taking a match), not to mention that champions have mostly always been able to do that. So if that is the case, then there is a chance that Impact could lose a title to someone that is outside of their current reach, or someone that can't sign with Impact due to other contracts, like Moose losing to Apollo Crews.

No. Nakamura isn't the #1 contender. He's the #1 contender at WrestleMania. You're only the "#1 contender" if no one else getting a title shot before you. Once the Aries vs. Drake match ends, then Johnny Impact will become the #1 contender. I know it's a nit-pick, but it bugs me because it shows a lack of attention to detail. There is no reason they couldn't have said that this match "if for a future shot at the TNA World Heavyweight Title" and it would have meant just as much and would also have the benefit of being true.
That's not lack of attention, those are semantics and how we want to see that rule. To me Impact IS the #1 contender to the championship already because regardless of who wins on Thursday, he's still the next in line, even if the title were to be vacated, he has first dibs on how they want to decide the new champion.

And said secret admirer could well turn out to be Braxton Sutter. But if a dude involved in a relationship with someone goes missing for months, I'd like to have it addressed. It's the same issue as Rusev and Lana suddenly not interacting with each other without any sort of explanation. Even something as simple as having Allie say this is the first love-letter she's gotten ever since she and Braxton broke up. Something to at least let me as a viewer know that they aren't just having a major storyline totally disappear into thin air.
We've gone through two different tapings and three different bookers, I personally can't remember what was the last thing that happened, but they were having couple trouble before and there is a big chance that the last thing that happened was Braxton walking out on her. The whole admirer could indeed be a way to bring him back.

Then he should say that. Or better yet, don't call it a "match of the year" when there have been a whole bunch of matches several stratospheres higher than this. All he needed to do was say that this was a "GREAT!" match and no one would disagree with him. Yes, calling it MOTY puts it over stronger, but it's not the sort of thing that needs to get put over like that. If he had called it great, no one would have sat there thinking "Josh really undersold that."
I don't disagree with you, this could be said in a way that leaves no doubt on the comment, but then again, everyone does this, it wasn't like he said it was the best match of all companies. WWE does this every day in worse cases, mostly all indies say stuff like this too. it sounds stupid, but at least Impact wise, this could be a MOTY. Did you call out WWE when they said that Dunne vs Bate was the MOTY? or Cena vs Styles? There was already a far better match by then

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 12th, '18, 23:03

cero2k wrote: Feb 12th, '18, 20:49
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 12th, '18, 15:47

But in that case, Impact hasn't made losing the title outside an issue, Josh may have brought it up,
but he's also a heel commentator that is just looking for all arguments to go against Aries as champion. Impact itself hasn't really made it an issue

Josh hasn't come off like a heel to me at all. He also said it in reference to Ishimori, not Aries. It came up in reference to Aries when, right after Aries said that he wasn't signed with TNA yet, a reported followed up by asking him "what if you lose the title in another promotion?" TNA has clearly made this an issue, or else it wouldn't have been asked.

I think it's an idea we should always have, especially when your championships are actual world titles. If it is indeed something that is a story, then we have to take it as it is and acknowledge that as of now, there is no screen authority, and so wrestlers can make/take challenges when they see fit over their own championships (hence Drake taking a match), not to mention that champions have mostly always been able to do that. So if that is the case, then there is a chance that Impact could lose a title to someone that is outside of their current reach, or someone that can't sign with Impact due to other contracts, like Moose losing to Apollo Crews.

I'm not saying that the idea of a champion losing the title to someone in another company shouldn't be acknowledged. I'm saying that it makes no sense to portray it as a bad thing without a good reason to do so. When Joe or Dragon or Aries would defend the ROH World Title in some other promotion you never had ROH panicking and saying "oh no! What is going to happen if Super Crazy/Ares/Makabe/Noam Dar/Kamala (all had ROH World Title matches outside of ROH and their traditionally allied promotions) win the title?!" The announcers would just be like "Austin Aries is scheduled to go to Poland to defend the ROH World Title! Isn't that cool?"
Yes, a guy might not be able to come to TNA for some reason or another, but if that's the case then either 1) TNA can send their challengers to him, or 2) if losing control of the title is truly a big problem, then this is exactly why you have a governing body to sanction title matches.

Champions haven't always been able to book whatever defenses they want. They've only been able to do so when it is convenient for the plot. That's what bugs me. I don't even need an on-screen authority figure. Something like the old fictional "TNA Championship Committee" letting Josh know on the spot that they approve of such and such a match would suffice (and then, if you decide to have an on-screen authority figure at a later date, you've already established the existence of this decision-making body for that person to represent). Either that or do it the way it used to be done in FIP where they flat out told you that the wrestlers are the ones making the decisions here.
This bothers me because it says to me that they don't respect me as a viewer to even attempt to give me an explanation for why something theoretically important to the fabric of their fictional universe has changed. That's why I stuck with DC through Superboy Prime's continuity punches and Final Crisis, but gave up on all non-Green Lantern DC books after The New 52. If you want to change how things are done, at least give me the courtesy of telling me. Even a forced explanation is better than no explanation at all.

That's not lack of attention, those are semantics and how we want to see that rule. To me Impact IS the #1 contender to the championship already because regardless of who wins on Thursday, he's still the next in line, even if the title were to be vacated, he has first dibs on how they want to decide the new champion.
It's not semantics. It's a mater of fact. If you and I are standing on line at the grocery store, and I am the first person in line and you are behind me, then wouldn't claim to be the "first person in the line," would, you? Johnny is not the "#1 contender." He's the "#1 contender to the winner of Aries/Drake." And that's no less prestigious a place to be than being the literal #1 contender because you've still earned a title shot. But you are not, by definition, the "#1 contender."

We've gone through two different tapings and three different bookers, I personally can't remember what was the last thing that happened, but they were having couple trouble before and there is a big chance that the last thing that happened was Braxton walking out on her. The whole admirer could indeed be a way to bring him back.
I'm not saying it's a good spot to be in or that I can't sympathize with Callis & D'Amore, but when you take over the book in a promotion, part of your job is to understand the history of the promotion (especially the recent history) so that you can wrap stuff up smoothly and make sure everything you do makes sense. You are still beholden to the what has come before you. Callis said as much on Killing The Town and said that these tapings were about wrapping old stuff up just as much as they were about going in the direction that they want to go in (hence when they brought EC III in to do jobs on his way out the door rather than to just not book him at all). We fans aren't even supposed to be able to tell when a promotion changes bookers it it's done right. You can make an educated guess if it's something like the style of presentation changing like in the case of 205 Live, but you're not supposed to just pretend that the old continuity doesn't exist and hit a magical reset button. That's Vince Russo crap.

I don't disagree with you, this could be said in a way that leaves no doubt on the comment, but then again, everyone does this, it wasn't like he said it was the best match of all companies. WWE does this every day in worse cases, mostly all indies say stuff like this too. it sounds stupid, but at least Impact wise, this could be a MOTY. Did you call out WWE when they said that Dunne vs Bate was the MOTY? or Cena vs Styles? There was already a far better match by then
The difference is that I thought that both Dunne vs. Bate and Cena vs. Styles were well within the range that I would allow a commentator latitude to put their own promotion over for. Maybe AJ vs. Cena was borderline to me, but I seemed to like it a lot less than most people. If WWE had said that, for example, last year's Elimination Chamber was the MOTY, I would have probably called them out for it, and that match was several orders of magnitude better than this one.
I will also admit that this is one area where I tend to be harder on non-WWE promotions, but the reason for that is that WWE has been doing this sort of bullsh*t for at least a decade now and pretty much everyone who doesn't work for WWE always complains about how much they hate it, so when I see announcers in some other promotion copy things that everyone hates about WWE announcing (and especially in a promotion like ROH or TNA or New Japan that is trying to present themselves as an alternative to WWE) it bothers me more because this guy/gal has to know that everyone f*cking hates it when WWE does that, so why the hell would you do it when you know everyone hates it? (And if it keeps happening, then the promotion is guilty, too, for not correcting the announcer.)

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 13th, '18, 10:54

If you want to change how things are done, at least give me the courtesy of telling me. Even a forced explanation is better than no explanation at all.

how are your WWE reviews not bible sized?

It's not semantics. It's a mater of fact. If you and I are standing on line at the grocery store, and I am the first person in line and you are behind me, then wouldn't claim to be the "first person in the line," would, you? Johnny is not the "#1 contender." He's the "#1 contender to the winner of Aries/Drake." And that's no less prestigious a place to be than being the literal #1 contender because you've still earned a title shot. But you are not, by definition, the "#1 contender."
This is more like being in the post-office line and the person who already paid for the envelope before you takes off to package off the contents and then comes back and after they finished packaging just to turn in the envelope, but you've always been next in line.

I'm not saying it's a good spot to be in or that I can't sympathize with Callis & D'Amore, but when you take over the book in a promotion, part of your job is to understand the history of the promotion (especially the recent history) so that you can wrap stuff up smoothly and make sure everything you do makes sense. You are still beholden to the what has come before you. Callis said as much on Killing The Town and said that these tapings were about wrapping old stuff up just as much as they were about going in the direction that they want to go in (hence when they brought EC III in to do jobs on his way out the door rather than to just not book him at all). We fans aren't even supposed to be able to tell when a promotion changes bookers it it's done right. You can make an educated guess if it's something like the style of presentation changing like in the case of 205 Live, but you're not supposed to just pretend that the old continuity doesn't exist and hit a magical reset button. That's Vince Russo crap.
Agree, and in this particular story, we're talking about taking over the booking of not the last guy, but the guy before, and even that story wast that Braxton and Allie had problems, so it is totally plausible they just broke up and after months, there's really no need to have to explain anything. Judging from this tapings and the previous ones in Ottawa, they've done well following up with storylines and kill the ones they didn't want (like KM's push with ATT). The true test will come next time they go to Canada and once again can't bring some people because of Visa issues.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 13th, '18, 11:26

cero2k wrote: Feb 13th, '18, 10:54
If you want to change how things are done, at least give me the courtesy of telling me. Even a forced explanation is better than no explanation at all.

how are your WWE reviews not bible sized?
Because in WWE, they have the GMs make an announcement. When they haven't, I've called them out on it. See everything about roster-jumping during the current roster split, GM absences, and the Thirty Days Rule.

This is more like being in the post-office line and the person who already paid for the envelope before you takes off to package off the contents and then comes back and after they finished packaging just to turn in the envelope, but you've always been next in line.
Right. You're next in line. Not first in line.

Agree, and in this particular story, we're talking about taking over the booking of not the last guy, but the guy before, and even that story wast that Braxton and Allie had problems, so it is totally plausible they just broke up and after months, there's really no need to have to explain anything. Judging from this tapings and the previous ones in Ottawa, they've done well following up with storylines and kill the ones they didn't want (like KM's push with ATT). The true test will come next time they go to Canada and once again can't bring some people because of Visa issues.
Allie and Braxton were a big storyline for most of a year. It needs to be explained. It doesn't matter if it was the last guy's storyline or the guy before him. Aries winning the title for the first time was, like, eight regimes ago, and yet that is canon to the point that they showed me a replay of it. Like I said, even just a line in this segment telling us that they broke up a while ago would have been fine. They might be doing a good job of wrapping up storylines they want to kill, but that doesn't excuse not doing it for all of them.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 13th, '18, 12:11

Allie and Braxton were a big storyline for most of a year. It needs to be explained. It doesn't matter if it was the last guy's storyline or the guy before him. Aries winning the title for the first time was, like, eight regimes ago, and yet that is canon to the point that they showed me a replay of it. Like I said, even just a line in this segment telling us that they broke up a while ago would have been fine. They might be doing a good job of wrapping up storylines they want to kill, but that doesn't excuse not doing it for all of them.

we are 10 days shy from that Allie and Braxton storyline climaxing a whole year ago, the real storyline was 2016, that's even before Anthem took over. Do they need to explain why Fallah Bahh is not teaming with Bokara when they were just jobbers half a year ago and Bokara is now gone from the company? Do they need to explain why KM stopped coming out with Sienna while Sienna was having a women's feud? We're talking about a couple either breaking up or they're still together and we're to actually wonder why Allie will go meet a secret admirer IMO those are irrelevant details that I can make logical deductions on my own. If we want explanations, how exactly did Braun Strowman go from being part of the wyatt family to singing songs on raw?

Austin winning the title of course is canon, he's in the championship books and it really has little to do with him coming back here and winning again, and the only reason they showed it was to sell the network, not because you need to know he was a champ for you to understand the current storyline.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 13th, '18, 14:13

cero2k wrote: Feb 13th, '18, 12:11 Allie and Braxton were a big storyline for most of a year. It needs to be explained. It doesn't matter if it was the last guy's storyline or the guy before him. Aries winning the title for the first time was, like, eight regimes ago, and yet that is canon to the point that they showed me a replay of it. Like I said, even just a line in this segment telling us that they broke up a while ago would have been fine. They might be doing a good job of wrapping up storylines they want to kill, but that doesn't excuse not doing it for all of them.

we are 10 days shy from that Allie and Braxton storyline climaxing a whole year ago, the real storyline was 2016, that's even before Anthem took over. Do they need to explain why Fallah Bahh is not teaming with Bokara when they were just jobbers half a year ago and Bokara is now gone from the company? Do they need to explain why KM stopped coming out with Sienna while Sienna was having a women's feud? We're talking about a couple either breaking up or they're still together and we're to actually wonder why Allie will go meet a secret admirer IMO those are irrelevant details that I can make logical deductions on my own. If we want explanations, how exactly did Braun Strowman go from being part of the wyatt family to singing songs on raw?
But Allie and Braxton having problems was just a few months ago on TV.
I didn't like Braun singing songs on Raw, either (but even there the Wyatts were fond of singing certain songs).
If a long-established tag team suddenly isn't together, then yes, I'd like an explanation, even if it's just as simple "as "guy X wanted to try himself as a singles wrestler."
They are relevant details, because if Allie and Braxton are still together than her getting excited about having a secret admirer sent her a Valentine's Day card and going to meet him is a lot more heelish than if she's single. All it would have taken is one line of natural dialogue, and they couldn't even give us that.

Austin winning the title of course is canon, he's in the championship books and it really has little to do with him coming back here and winning again, and the only reason they showed it was to sell the network, not because you need to know he was a champ for you to understand the current storyline.
My point is that if they want to tell me that their history is important and worth paying for, then they can't pick and choose which history is important at any particular moment based on the needs of their storyline. It'd be like if they went on the air next week with Alberto as the champion and he wrestled the title match against Drake in Aries' place and they went the entire show never mentioning the fact that we went off the air last week with a different champion. You can probably guess that Alberto beat Aries for the belt over the weekend, and Aries isn't here because he's just not booked tonight... but maybe the reason Aries isn't here is because he's so distraught over losing the tittle. Maybe Alberto isn't even the rightful champion at all but rather he beat Aries up and stole the belt from him and Aries isn't here because he's injured. All of these answers are possible. You just don't know, and for them not to tell us is bad storytelling. They told me I was supposed to care about the Allie/Braxton relationship, and so I did. I am now being punished for caring about something they told me they wanted me to care about. If they're going to do this, then why would I believe them and be willing to care about the next thing they tell me is important and I'm supposed to care about?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation