The 10 Lbs of Gold: The NWA Championship Saga

PWG, MLW, AAW, WWN, etc
cero2k
Site Admin

The 10 Lbs of Gold: The NWA Championship Saga

Post by cero2k » Nov 16th, '17, 10:47

i don't know if there is an intention to do this, but I love how NWA is becoming the everyman's man promotion with normal looking people coming out to challenge

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Tim Storm's New Challenger for the NWA Title. Great promo

Post by cero2k » Jan 11th, '18, 21:14

I love how old school this feud has progressed.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 11th, '18, 21:39

An empty arena match. So in other words, a total gate of zero dollars. Good job there, Corgan. How about doing the match in whatever town it was that you did the angle in so you can maybe draw some money with it?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Post by XIV » Jan 13th, '18, 00:48

Is it bad that I lost track of NWA Championship? I had no idea where it was based, who had it or anything. What was once the most prestigious of wrestling championships is now in obscurity... however, this feud looks awesome and from nowhere, I'm suddenly excited to see the conclusion of this.

But an empty arena match? for a small promotion? why?
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 13th, '18, 18:57

XIV wrote: Jan 13th, '18, 00:48 Is it bad that I lost track of NWA Championship? I had no idea where it was based, who had it or anything. What was once the most prestigious of wrestling championships is now in obscurity... however, this feud looks awesome and from nowhere, I'm suddenly excited to see the conclusion of this.

Because there isn't an "NWA" promotion now. It's not even like the 90s when someone small-time like Dennis Coralluzzo could use the belt in NWA New Jersey or what Bruce Tharpe was kind of doing in Houston a few years ago. Billy Corgan basically bought the belt and the letters and is pulling a more successful (but smaller scale) version of the Jeff Jarrett GFW scam. He puts out his videos to hype up his thing while conning promoters into putting it on their shows (probably giving him a set amount of the gate) with the idea being that his meaningless trinket belt will boost attendance.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » Jan 15th, '18, 02:31

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 13th, '18, 18:57
XIV wrote: Jan 13th, '18, 00:48 Is it bad that I lost track of NWA Championship? I had no idea where it was based, who had it or anything. What was once the most prestigious of wrestling championships is now in obscurity... however, this feud looks awesome and from nowhere, I'm suddenly excited to see the conclusion of this.

Because there isn't an "NWA" promotion now. It's not even like the 90s when someone small-time like Dennis Coralluzzo could use the belt in NWA New Jersey or what Bruce Tharpe was kind of doing in Houston a few years ago. Billy Corgan basically bought the belt and the letters and is pulling a more successful (but smaller scale) version of the Jeff Jarrett GFW scam. He puts out his videos to hype up his thing while conning promoters into putting it on their shows (probably giving him a set amount of the gate) with the idea being that his meaningless trinket belt will boost attendance.
Only problem with that is, the NWA Championship has been all but meaningless since TNA stopped using it around a decade ago.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 15th, '18, 09:37

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 13th, '18, 18:57 He puts out his videos to hype up his thing while conning promoters into putting it on their shows (probably giving him a set amount of the gate) with the idea being that his meaningless trinket belt will boost attendance.
this is why i'm guessing they're going with the empty arena match and not trying to get a gate out of it, because at the end of the day, the gate will be zero, and unlike people sucking Triple H's dick, no one is willing to put this match over their own's promotion's main events, for free.

So i'm guessing Corgan at this point is trying to generate a different type of buzz and product and is not worried about some petty $500 tops he could get for getting this match with a lower tier promotion. Doing this empty arena at the Impact Zone could make the match look better and like a bigger deal since it will all be cinematic, no problems with people not reacting to considerably unknown guys, and the impact zone is definitely bigger than the other places they've been running. it's like that empty arena match that Suzuki had in the tokyo dome, granted that was comedy, but it looks special in certain ways

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 15th, '18, 12:03

The people working with Hunter get benefit of people with actual names on their show, though.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 15th, '18, 12:15

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 15th, '18, 12:03 The people working with Hunter get benefit of people with actual names on their show, though.
i can't speak for EVOLVE, but ICW and PROGRESS don't really need names like Gentleman Jack Gallagher to sell out their venues. if it comes to that Ospreay > Gallagher

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 15th, '18, 12:49

cero2k wrote: Jan 15th, '18, 12:15
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 15th, '18, 12:03 The people working with Hunter get benefit of people with actual names on their show, though.
i can't speak for EVOLVE, but ICW and PROGRESS don't really need names like Gentleman Jack Gallagher to sell out their venues. if it comes to that Ospreay > Gallagher
It's not just about the buildings (and EVOLVE doesn't get names from WWE aside from Regal talking to people). It's about the notoriety that leads to the streaming subscriptions. If even if they don't even appear on the service, the fact that people will report that a Gallagher or Balor or Foley or Galloway occasionally shows up will draw eyes to that headlines that otherwise wouldn't have clicked on ICW news, and while they're reading that article to get to the Foley/Balor/Galloway/Gallagher/Mustache Mountain/Dunne part, they'll read something that sounds exciting that will get them to check out the promotion proper.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: The 10 Lbs of Gold: The NWA Championship Saga

Post by cero2k » Feb 5th, '18, 11:36

renamed the thread and figured we can follow the NWA videos here.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 5th, '18, 21:24

Tommy Dreamer in 2018? I'm so excited I think I'll just keep watching mediocre CHIKARA shows.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 6th, '18, 08:46

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 5th, '18, 21:24 Tommy Dreamer in 2018? I'm so excited I think I'll just keep watching mediocre CHIKARA shows.
i mean, you could be watch the better chikara shows. i don't mind Dreamer getting a shot, but i sure hope so that Aldis goes to Dreamer's house and beats him clean in teh middle of the ring

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 6th, '18, 09:57

cero2k wrote: Feb 6th, '18, 08:46
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 5th, '18, 21:24 Tommy Dreamer in 2018? I'm so excited I think I'll just keep watching mediocre CHIKARA shows.
i mean, you could be watch the better chikara shows. i don't mind Dreamer getting a shot, but i sure hope so that Aldis goes to Dreamer's house and beats him clean in teh middle of the ring
I have no doubt Tommy will put the kid over clean. I just have zero interest in seeing the match.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 6th, '18, 11:38

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 6th, '18, 09:57
I have no doubt Tommy will put the kid over clean. I just have zero interest in seeing the match.
indeed. I actually had a slight interest in Dreamer vs Storm, but Dreamer vs Aldis just sounds like EV2.0 TNA era

... New video

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 12th, '18, 09:41

if anyone thought Dreamer was bad

Aldis is really pushing to defend the title a bunch of times in little time, but c'mon, there HAS to be better options.