BRM Reviews the 11/29/2017 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 11/29/2017 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 29th, '17, 22:45

This show was taped in a much smaller venue in San Antonio. It looks pretty small-time compared to the usual look.

THE STREET PROPHETS vs. TINO SABBATELLI & RIDDICK MOSS- 5.5/10
Basic but long. It’s probably a lot less tolerable if you don’t like the Street Prophets as much as I do. If you do happen to like them then don’t worry because they win in the end.

BATE & SEVEN CHALLENGE PETE DUNNE TO FIND A PARTNER SO THEY CAN HAVE A TAG MATCH- fine.

BATE & SEVEN PROMO- they remind us that there is an actual reason for the above challenge, which is that they’re unhappy about Dunne bailing on their pal Wolfgang when he was getting beaten up by Undisputed Era a few weeks ago.

MARK ANDREWS PROMO- he says he agreed to team with Dunne on the condition that if they win he becomes the #1 contender.

LARS SULLIVAN VIDEO PACKAGE- filler

KAIRI SANE vs. PEYTON ROYCE (w/Billie Kay)- 6.75/10

Mauro said that last week Ruby and Sonya “went at it like a dentist and a carpenter.” I was unaware that these two guilds were enemies. They’re having a No Holds Barred match next week.

TYLER BATE & TRENT SEVEN vs. PETE DUNNE & MARK ANDREWS- 8/10
These UK guys always deliver. Bate pinned Dunne to set him up for another title shot. Dunne attacked Andrews after the match.

A very good episode of NXT.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 11/29/2017 NXT

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 2nd, '17, 07:12

Definitely seems like an entire show with nothing that would personally interest me.
The only redeeming quality is there's Kairi Sane, but she's against Royce lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Dec 3rd, '17, 09:11

KILLdozer wrote: Dec 2nd, '17, 07:12 Definitely seems like an entire show with nothing that would personally interest me.
The only redeeming quality is there's Kairi Sane, but she's against Royce lol.
This.
I didn't care for it, Royce was actually the high point of the show for me.

-Sabbatelli and Moss need to figure something out, I can't watch them. I'm waiting for them to botch their entrance.
-Street Prophets, see below.
-Sullivan, seen it before. Haven't seen it work since Kane.
-Sane, see below.
-Royce, I've always liked her, even when she was jobbing full time. I don't like her current predicament, I miss the Venus Fly Trap...
-Bate, Seven, Dunne, and Andrews. Solid match, but that's what youtube is for - I don't want to watch a show centered around these guys. I can't understand them for one, and that Dunne dude is uncomfortably ugly. Like, Shinske Nakamura got stung by a bee. But, I digress. I literally didn't understand a word they said, and I didn't care to rewind/rewatch to figure it out because they haven't made me feel like these guys are important. Good match, but whatever tf is going on there won't matter on the next set of tapings.

This show was a disappointment to me, only because I LOVE so much of what's going on in NXT right now and this was like watching a completely different promotion. I love NXT from a "this is the future" standpoint. The future wasn't on this show. The Street Prophets would be fine if they didn't have to coexist with New Day (not gonna lie, I'm still a little hung over from Cryme Tyme as well). They'd be a nice pairing with Titus right now, but again, getting a little too New Day-ey for the Main Roster. Not the future. Much like Sane, I friggin love her, but is there a world where she could be featured with Asuke on the same roster? Even on a different show, even with a different steering wheel or a bigger hat, they'll never risk the confusion. Not the future. Sanity is one of my favorite things in the entire company right now, but I'm struggling to figure out how they'd coexist with the Wyatts. Different, but too similar... like when they just had The Brood join The Ministry because everyone was going to assume they were in it anyway...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 3rd, '17, 10:09

Bob-O wrote: Dec 3rd, '17, 09:11 -Bate, Seven, Dunne, and Andrews. Solid match, but that's what youtube is for - I don't want to watch a show centered around these guys.
i don't love nor hate these guys, but i do find any of the british matches on NXT to be really inconsequential and irrelevant, none of them are building to anything other than, yet another random match. these guys (even as champs) are irrelevant in wwe and nxt. (which makes their PROGRESS gimmicks even more annoying)
Bob-O wrote: Dec 3rd, '17, 09:11 Much like Sane, I friggin love her, but is there a world where she could be featured with Asuke on the same roster? Even on a different show, even with a different steering wheel or a bigger hat, they'll never risk the confusion.
it is indeed tricky, especially because they're the best wrestlers in the division (and over half of the dudes too), so once Sane goes up, fans will IMMEDIATELY want that feud and once it's done, then what?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 3rd, '17, 12:14

I can't really disagree with a lot of what you guys are saying. I think I just went into this show with the idea that it would be a filler show so I was just happy to have a great main event. I think at this point it has become clear beyond any shadow of a doubt that WWE was never sincere about this UK show and that it was really just a way to hurt the potential World of Sport show and get control over certain talents so that they had a system to reward friendly promotions like PROGRESS, WCPW, snd ICW and to act as a warning to promotions like RevPro and wXw to stop working with the ROH/NJPW/CMLL alliance.

As for Kairi on the main roster, the thing that gives me hope that they won't just rush to her and Asuka is the fact that they didn't just rush to Asuka vs. Sasha, but it is, admittedly, only a small shred of hope.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Dec 3rd, '17, 12:45

I'm by no means racist (which I understand is what people say before being incredibly racist), but smiley Asian girl with colorful hair. AS A FAN OF THEM BOTH, I can't tell them apart at a quick glance. I think a feud between Asuka and Kairi would be such a disaster in front of a mainstream wrestling audience.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 3rd, '17, 13:26

Bob-O wrote: Dec 3rd, '17, 12:45 I'm by no means racist (which I understand is what people say before being incredibly racist), but smiley Asian girl with colorful hair. AS A FAN OF THEM BOTH, I can't tell them apart at a quick glance. I think a feud between Asuka and Kairi would be such a disaster in front of a mainstream wrestling audience.
Yeah. The contrast can work, but I think they need to do more with Asuka on the main roster to distinguish Asuka's smiling as "scary, dangerous smiling" as opposed to Kairi's more white-meat babyface smiling. Also, due to their other neuroses about things (not all of which are wrong), I don't think they'll let Kairi go up to the main roster with colorful hair because Asuka already has the colorful hair.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 3rd, '17, 13:27

I think SAnitY and the Wyatts are different enough that there won't be a problem as Bray is supposed to be "spooky" scary whereas SAnitY are supposed to be "dangerous crazy" scary.

New Day and Street Prophets are also different enough, IMO, because New Day are more of a comedy gimmick in the gimmick/joke telling sense where as the Street Prophets come off to me as more of the "cool guys doing their thing" way. New Day is trying to be funny while the Street Prophets are trying to have fun, if that distinction makes any sense.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 3rd, '17, 16:31

Pretty much everything has been said with a slight bit to add to it.

Street Prophets are just pretty much new day and cryme tyme but somehow actually worse in the ridiculous annoying department.

The UK guys, have literally nothing going for them really, other than basic matches without long running story.

Lars Sullivan isn't that interesting and I'LL SAY IT 10,000 times-his "big ridiculously strong guy finisher" won't work on larger/average sized guys-look at the takeover match with Ohno.

I'm fed up beyond belief with Royce and Kaye. Ridiculously over the top dumbass goofball heels, which sounds good on paper, but they've been in NXT for so long it's become way too much over a period of time.

Moss and Sabbotelli definitely need work. Moss, the long haired one, I think, is look away, get this guy out of here, ugly.

I'm still a bit surprised that Sane didn't immediately go Asuka 2.0 and win the belt and dominate everyone.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 3rd, '17, 21:32

KILLdozer wrote: Dec 3rd, '17, 16:31

I'm still a bit surprised that Sane didn't immediately go Asuka 2.0 and win the belt and dominate everyone.
i don't think she'll get booked like that, she's is considerably smaller, so it's slightly more credible to see women get heat on her. Every time someone tried to beat up asuka, it looked fake, with Sane, it looks credible,

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Dec 5th, '17, 06:16

KILLdozer wrote: Dec 3rd, '17, 16:31 I'm fed up beyond belief with Royce and Kaye. Ridiculously over the top dumbass goofball heels, which sounds good on paper, but they've been in NXT for so long it's become way too much over a period of time.
I think they do a great job with the airhead/mean girl thing, it's the Laycool 2.0 thing that drives me nuts. It's not like they're "inspired" by Laycool, they're literally a carbon copy with different accents.