All Impact Wrestling (FKA TNA/GFW 2017) Reviews and Discussions
cero2k
Site Admin

Impact Wrestling 10.26 Review: Moose vs Lashley

Post by cero2k » Nov 2nd, '17, 12:43

Impact Wrestling
October 26, 2017
Orlando, Fl

Tonight we have matches from Crash, AAA, NOAH, BCW, and Impact, so not a lot of ratable matches.

Impact vs AAA Build Up Video - OK, a quick rundown of the whole feud.

From AAA
ECIII & James Storm vs Hijo del Fantasma & Texano Jr - 6.5/10
Fantasma and Texano are obviously the babyfaces since they're in Mexico, which actually somewhat works for the feud, but it makes the commentary weirder since JB and Josh have to defend their guys; in addition, Fantasma and Texano have a blood feud in Mexico, so they kinda have to keep hinting to that while feuding with the USA guys.

The match was ok, some Mexican styla antics, Fantasma and Texano had most of the control of the match until their feud shined a bit, had some problems with each other and that opened the window for James Storm to take the win.

Eli Drake and Mantel Segment - We just see Drake talking on the phone, Mantel asks Eli why he missed some promotion appearances. Don't know why we needed this.

Mantel, Cornette, & D'Amore Segment - Cornette and Mantel are pissed at Drake and want to do something about Drake not making commitments, D'Amore just wants to focus on the show and kinda put the Drake stuff for later. Cornette and Mantel kinda hint at something for the BFG stipulation.

From Border City Wrestling
Impact World Tag Team Championship
OVE (C) vs Phill Atlas & Bret Banks - Unratable

We start the broadcast with the match already on it's way, so god knows how much we missed. Banks and Atlas are the locals, so obviously they have more chants than OVE. From when we started to the finish, it was probably about 4-5 minutes, ok action. OVE defended the championships.

Moose/Boner vs ATT Feud Video - Pretty good promo by Boner, a little rehearsed, but good none the less. Moose pretended to not know who King Mo is.

ANOTHER Eli Drake backstage segment - We now see Drake reject an interview.

From Pro Wrestling NOAH
GCH Heavyweight Championship Match
Eddie Edwards (C) vs Naomichi Marufuji - Unratable, but Awesome

A huuuge change of pace from a normal Impact match, but this was a main event of a NOAH show, it was a 26 minute match, and so they had to cut it down to a few minutes instead. This also had Josh and JB in commentary, so we had a lot of explaining how this is different and why the crowd is quiet. Match looked stiff kicks heavy, piledrivers and stuff like that. I skipped this match previously knowing that they would show it here, but I REALLY need to go watch this match in its entirety. Eddie defended with the Diehard Flowsion, which is Edwards' Misawa tribute move after the Emerald Fusion.

OVE Promo - They hinted that someone is coming to help them for the BFG match.

Eli Drake (FINALLY) Interview - McKenzie tries to get the interview out of Drake. He's really good at cutting promos. He just talked shit to Garza and Impact for tonight's match.

"Hot Mess" Laurel Van Ness - Shws out again in the crowd looking for a man, making nerds feel things they've never felt

From Border City Wrestling
Petey Williams vs Idris Abraham vs TARIKvs Kaito Kiyomiya - 6.5/10
I didn't notice it as much in the OVE match, but BCW has really good looking show, it's likely the Impact production team, but the arena, ramp, tron, all that looks great, better than ROH actually. It was a good match, good four way wrestling and spots, nothing special, it all just built to Petey hitting the Canadian Destroyer for the win.

Another Eli Drake Promo - Great stuff, but why didn't he just cut this promo with McKenzie?
Johnny Impact Promo - Man, having to follow Drake with a promo, Johnny just sounded meh.

Johnny Impact & Garza Jr vs Eli Drake & Chris Adonis - 6.5/10
Garza has dropped the bandana and now wears a Rebellion shirt, he looks soo much legit like this. Cheating and shenanigans gave Adonis and Drake control over Impact for a while until he used his agility to dodge them adn make the hot tag to Garza. Match broke down for a little bit, then they did another babyface in peril run but with Garza now, Impact with the hot tag, they fought for a little while more until Impact got the roll on Adonis for the win. Story was that Drake managed to avoid being in the ring with Impact for most of the match.

Trevor Lee visits Tijuana - Funny, Lee was great.

From The Crash
Impact X-Division Championship Match
Trevor Lee (C) vs Ultimo Ninja - 7/10

So Ultimo Ninja is Garza Jr's brother, so much for that incognito. Good match. Ultimo Ninja is a good lucha high flyer and Lee was a good base for him. They just kinda went back and forward. Lee won with the footstomp.

Global Forged - It's really hard to get into this thing without actually watching the whole stuff on youtube, so at this point I don't really care about any of the participants. I can only go with looks at this point. The two finalists are Hakim and Mark.

King Mo Promo - Great promo, totally made Mo look like a babyface going against the douchebags Boner and Moose.

Moose w/Stephen Boner vs Lashley w/Lambert - 8/10
I really liked this match, tons of heat for Lambert, crowd super hot for Moose, they went back and forward exchanging momentum between the two. Lambert kept getting involved one way or another, ending with the finish where Moose had Lashley ready to be taken out, but Lambert just jumped and hit Moose with a trophy for the DQ and Lashley takes Moose out.

Post-match - Boner gets involved and takes out Lashley, and as he is about to take out Lambert, all the ATT come in and attack him. Moose makes the save with a chair. Moose grabs a mic and challenges Lashley to make the match a Six Sides of Steel!

LAX vs OVE Vignette - Not sure why this was the last thing, but it was a great vignette with a great voice over promo by Konnan. That 5150 match is gonna be fucking crazy!

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Look, it's pretty cool to be exposed to all these matches from all over the world, and especially when they do have some sort of relation to the current Impact storylines, but it's also kinda bad that we don't exactly get to watch the whole match. Now, the real problem with this show is that it completely felt like filler before the go home show, little things here and there were productive, but the whole Drake not doing commitments, the Van Ness appearance, even the Eddie match were kinda unnecessary and irrelevant, and it ended up making the show feel longer than it should.

The show did pick up with the matches at the impact zone, the main event was awesome.

Big Red Machine

Re: Impact Wrestling 10.26 Review: Moose vs Lashley

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 2nd, '17, 12:58

These shows are total death to me. Airing a show of clips all from other people's shows makes them feel small-time (as compared to the way Global Impact or Honor Rising make things feel special). It makes it look like they aren't actually running their own shows. They feel like a North American version of Kensuke Office, just renting their talent out randomly and not really having too much going on of their own.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 2nd, '17, 13:51

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 2nd, '17, 12:58 These shows are total death to me. Airing a show of clips all from other people's shows makes them feel small-time (as compared to the way Global Impact or Honor Rising make things feel special). It makes it look like they aren't actually running their own shows. They feel like a North American version of Kensuke Office, just renting their talent out randomly and not really having too much going on of their own.
it wouldn't bother me when it was just 1 match or one match+segment, it actually made it seem like we have guys all over the place, but they definitely overdid it in this episode and more like having tons of promotions working together, it felt like "we don't have anymore footage from the tapings but we still need to fill out a full episode." I was wondering this episode if there was a chance they had to cut Jeff or Karen stuff and they just didn't have enough material for this episode.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 2nd, '17, 17:03

cero2k wrote: Nov 2nd, '17, 13:51
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 2nd, '17, 12:58 These shows are total death to me. Airing a show of clips all from other people's shows makes them feel small-time (as compared to the way Global Impact or Honor Rising make things feel special). It makes it look like they aren't actually running their own shows. They feel like a North American version of Kensuke Office, just renting their talent out randomly and not really having too much going on of their own.
it wouldn't bother me when it was just 1 match or one match+segment, it actually made it seem like we have guys all over the place, but they definitely overdid it in this episode and more like having tons of promotions working together, it felt like "we don't have anymore footage from the tapings but we still need to fill out a full episode." I was wondering this episode if there was a chance they had to cut Jeff or Karen stuff and they just didn't have enough material for this episode.
It's possible (maybe even probable), but I was actually thinking the opposite. This sort of show feels a lot like what Jeff's original idea for Global Force Wrestling was. Maybe this is just the end of the stuff they had influence over?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3