BRM Reviews the 10/4/2017 NXT (DREW VS. RODDY!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 10/4/2017 NXT (DREW VS. RODDY!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 8th, '17, 00:23

BILLIE KAY & PEYTON ROYCE vs. RUBY RIOT & ?- DUD!
To be clear, the DUD rating is in no way reflective of the quality of the wrestling in this match, which would have earned it a 4.25/10. The DUD is purely due to… well… let’s get into it, shall we?
Once again we have what it nominally a tag team match but Ruby doesn’t have a tag partner. Why isn’t this just a handicap match? And the answer is that Regal wants Ruby to have a partner, why doesn’t he just assign her one? Or tell her that he won’t sanction the match unless she finds a partner?
Once again, Nikki Cross showed up to be Ruby Riot’s partner. Nikki and Ruby didn’t exactly work together, but they didn’t get in each other’s way, either. They won, and Nikki walked off, leaving everyone to speculate as to what Nikki’s motives are… which is the exact same thing that happened three weeks ago! STORIES MUST MOVE FORWARD.

LARS SULLIVAN INTERVIEW- he never should have spoken. They gave him utterly terrible things to say and the interviewer sucked, too. This whole thing never should have aired. Just let Sullivan be a silent, angry monster.

ZELINA VEGA INTERVIEW- GREAT!
She explained that when Gargano asked Regal for another match with Almas he fell into her trap, as now Almas will beat him again, and beating “NXT’s golden boy” will help Almas earn a title shot. She also referred to Gargano as “Johnny Irrelevant.” I was never really a fan of Thea’s in the ring and I had no idea should could talk, but she has been excellent in this role.

LIO RUSH vs. ALEISTER BLACK- no rating, fine segment.
The match never happened because The Velveteen Dream jumped Lio from behind and beat him up, nailing him with the predictably-named “The Purple Rainmaker.” Alesiter Black just stood and watched. I liked this segment because it gets Lio on TV while setting up something for us to actually care about when he makes his real in-ring debut (which should be defeating The Velveteen Dream), sets up a later match between Lio and Black if they want, and also obviously furthers the Black vs. Dream feud.

KAIRI SANE vs. ALIYAH- no rating, fine semi-squash
How on Earth is Aliyah still employed? I mean… she did look better this time than she ever has before, but that pretty much just means that she didn’t completely embarrass herself. Kairi Sane carried her to a watchable semi-squash.

NXT TITLE MATCH: Drew McIntyre(c) vs. Roderick Strong- 8.75/10
So yeah. That was pretty nuts. Now I’ve got something to look forward to, as I hope to be watching all of the shows in their EVOLVE feud over the course of the next few weeks.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- the plot thickens. Cole, Fish, & O’Reilly showed up and gave Roddy a pat on the back. Roddy looked confused, but was not in any way antagonistic towards them, either.

A GREAT episode of NXT, despite the terrible water-treading in the Ruby Riot story.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/4/2017 NXT (DREW VS. RODDY!)

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 13th, '17, 07:48

Let me guess, it wasn't Lars Sullivan's fault?lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.