The Young Bucks Hit With ACTUAL Cease And Desist From WWE Over ‘Too Sweet’ Hand Gesture

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

The Young Bucks Hit With ACTUAL Cease And Desist From WWE Over ‘Too Sweet’ Hand Gesture

Post by cero2k » Sep 28th, '17, 11:12

Source: prowrestlingsheet.com

After months of joking about it, and just one day after Bullet Club “invaded” Raw, WWE sent The Young Bucks an ACTUAL cease and desist letter over the “Too Sweet” hand gesture.

Pro Wrestling Sheet has confirmed WWE reached out to the popular Ring of Honor/NJPW tag team to say they own the copyright to the “Too Sweet” hand gesture and have discovered that the brothers have been using it in other companies, as well as on merch.

Therefore, WWE is demanding the Bucks stop using WWE intellectual property in-ring and on any merchandise immediately. If not, they may be hit with $150K in damages or more.

They also want an agreement in writing saying the brothers wont use WWE IP again in the future.

It’s unclear at this point whether The Young Bucks plan to fight this, but sources tell us they’ve consulted with a lawyer and will figure out what’s best in the days to come.

While we don’t know for sure, it’s hard not to assume that this was done as a reaction to the Bullet Club “invading” Raw this week which can be SEEN HERE.

Big Red Machine

Re: The Young Bucks Hit With ACTUAL Cease And Desist From WWE Over ‘Too Sweet’ Hand Gesture

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 28th, '17, 14:25

Well... don't be childish and piss Vince off.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: The Young Bucks Hit With ACTUAL Cease And Desist From WWE Over ‘Too Sweet’ Hand Gesture

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 28th, '17, 14:47

Yeah, there's not much to it other than "WWE intellectual property."
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 28th, '17, 15:37

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 28th, '17, 14:25 Well... don't be childish and piss Vince off.
nah, fuck Vince and fuck corporate. I'm sure the Bucks could have a good chance at winning in court, just not the funds. And at the end, it's WWE that looks petty and small for being worried about the Bucks. Fuck rich people, hell, the NC Wolfpack should sue WWE since they've been doing it for faar longer before.

it's a bunch of hyprocisy that they're all fierce when Cody can't call himself Rhodes and the Bucks pointing at their dicks saying generic words like 'Suck' and 'it', but when Matt Hardy keeps using the Delete gestures, WWE are the martyrs because evil Anthem won't let them use it. Fuck WWE

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 28th, '17, 16:43

cero2k wrote: Sep 28th, '17, 15:37
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 28th, '17, 14:25 Well... don't be childish and piss Vince off.
nah, fuck Vince and fuck corporate. I'm sure the Bucks could have a good chance at winning in court, just not the funds. And at the end, it's WWE that looks petty and small for being worried about the Bucks. Fuck rich people, hell, the NC Wolfpack should sue WWE since they've been doing it for faar longer before.

it's a bunch of hyprocisy that they're all fierce when Cody can't call himself Rhodes and the Bucks pointing at their dicks saying generic words like 'Suck' and 'it', but when Matt Hardy keeps using the Delete gestures, WWE are the martyrs because evil Anthem won't let them use it. Fuck WWE
It's intellectual property laws. That's how they work. The reason people were so pissed off at Anthem about the Hardys thing is the same reason people were so pissed off at WWE about the Dudleys. In those cases the talent involved believed themselves to own the IP rights when they actually didn't (I believe the Dudleys have claimed that Heyman told them they had the IP rights, but I'm not sure if this was when they were in ECW or WWE). Spike Dudley and Raven were smart enough to trademark their names. If you're Cody, how is that not the first thing you do upon entering the wrestling business? Do I think Cody should be allowed to use the name? Yes. But legally he has no right to it.
The Bucks can point at their dicks all they want and they can say the work "suck" all they want and they can say the word "it" all they want, but no, they can't point at their dicks while saying "suck it" because they don't own the IP.

Look at it this way: how do think the original Psicosis felt when Pena f*cked him out of the name and now he had to run around as "Nicho el Millonario" while some shmuck who did nothing to get the name over got to go around calling himself Psicosis and drawing a bunch of money benefiting from the hard work Nicho had done to get that name and costume over? That's what the Bucks are doing. They didn't need "suck it!" or any of the nWo/DX rip-off shtick . Bullet Club shirts were super-hot among American fans well before they started doing any of that crap. But they did it anyway because they knew people would react to it, and the reason they knew people would react to it is because people always reacted to it when DX or the nWo did it.

What Bullet Club did was 100% childish and stupid. This wasn't DX going to Nitro. This was f*cking Cookie-Gate. And the fact that they couldn't see this coming just proves that they're delusional. We've known for YEARS that WWE doesn't want other people using them in any way to get their own sh*t over. Gabe and PROGRESS have gotten WWE's permission to say the things they've said, but any other time someone within the USA that WWE thinks has anything even resembling a sizeable audience has tried to use even the mention of WWE or IP that WWE owns, WWE has clamped down on it immediately (remember the fiasco that was TNA's Hardcore Justice, where they had to keep saying sh*t like "that Philadelphia promotion" or "that hardcore promotion?"), so why in G-d's name did they think that running an angle on their stupid YouTube show where they were implying that WWE was preventing them from doing these things and even trying to portray WWE as taking IP that they had no right to like Scurll's umbrella gimmick) and then going and pulling this boneheaded stunt wasn't going to make WWE do something about them?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 28th, '17, 17:55

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 28th, '17, 16:43

It's intellectual property laws. That's how they work. The reason people were so pissed off at Anthem about the Hardys thing is the same reason people were so pissed off at WWE about the Dudleys. In those cases the talent involved believed themselves to own the IP rights when they actually didn't (I believe the Dudleys have claimed that Heyman told them they had the IP rights, but I'm not sure if this was when they were in ECW or WWE). Spike Dudley and Raven were smart enough to trademark their names. If you're Cody, how is that not the first thing you do upon entering the wrestling business? Do I think Cody should be allowed to use the name? Yes. But legally he has no right to it.
The Bucks can point at their dicks all they want and they can say the work "suck" all they want and they can say the word "it" all they want, but no, they can't point at their dicks while saying "suck it" because they don't own the IP.

Look at it this way: how do think the original Psicosis felt when Pena f*cked him out of the name and now he had to run around as "Nicho el Millonario" while some shmuck who did nothing to get the name over got to go around calling himself Psicosis and drawing a bunch of money benefiting from the hard work Nicho had done to get that name and costume over? That's what the Bucks are doing. They didn't need "suck it!" or any of the nWo/DX rip-off shtick . Bullet Club shirts were super-hot among American fans well before they started doing any of that crap. But they did it anyway because they knew people would react to it, and the reason they knew people would react to it is because people always reacted to it when DX or the nWo did it.

What Bullet Club did was 100% childish and stupid. This wasn't DX going to Nitro. This was f*cking Cookie-Gate. And the fact that they couldn't see this coming just proves that they're delusional. We've known for YEARS that WWE doesn't want other people using them in any way to get their own sh*t over. Gabe and PROGRESS have gotten WWE's permission to say the things they've said, but any other time someone within the USA that WWE thinks has anything even resembling a sizeable audience has tried to use even the mention of WWE or IP that WWE owns, WWE has clamped down on it immediately (remember the fiasco that was TNA's Hardcore Justice, where they had to keep saying sh*t like "that Philadelphia promotion" or "that hardcore promotion?"), so why in G-d's name did they think that running an angle on their stupid YouTube show where they were implying that WWE was preventing them from doing these things and even trying to portray WWE as taking IP that they had no right to like Scurll's umbrella gimmick) and then going and pulling this boneheaded stunt wasn't going to make WWE do something about them?
I'm not saying those aren't the laws, even though I understand that if you can prove that you had been doing such thing before the other party actually filed for registration, then that is argument for you. I can't just register putting my hand on my ear right now and have Hulk Hogan stop doing it. I'm not gonna excuse the BC, I'm sure they knew they were poking the bear, and I'm totally for pissing off the big corp. The BC is way bigger than just crotch chops and too sweets, I'm sure they knew going in that they either get away with it, or they come out pissing Vince off and getting themselves some more publicity, a stunt that everyone is scared to do, a bunch of new material towards 'WWE is trying to stop us', and they'll may still be able to do those things in Japan and Europe anyway idk. The only childish thing I see was not waiting for the WrestleCade/Starcade weekend where there may be tons more people.

Maybe you finally get what you want and they stop doing those things that you hate. Doubt it tho. It's what the people want.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 28th, '17, 18:58

cero2k wrote: Sep 28th, '17, 17:55
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 28th, '17, 16:43

I'm not saying those aren't the laws, even though I understand that if you can prove that you had been doing such thing before the other party actually filed for registration, then that is argument for you. I can't just register putting my hand on my ear right now and have Hulk Hogan stop doing it. I'm not gonna excuse the BC, I'm sure they knew they were poking the bear, and I'm totally for pissing off the big corp. The BC is way bigger than just crotch chops and too sweets, I'm sure they knew going in that they either get away with it, or they come out pissing Vince off and getting themselves some more publicity, a stunt that everyone is scared to do, a bunch of new material towards 'WWE is trying to stop us', and they'll may still be able to do those things in Japan and Europe anyway idk. The only childish thing I see was not waiting for the WrestleCade/Starcade weekend where there may be tons more people.

Maybe you finally get what you want and they stop doing those things that you hate. Doubt it tho. It's what the people want.
That's my hope, but at this point I think they'll just start doing new things that I hate. I'm already seeing it with Scurll's chicken wing dance getting way over the top and dumb sh*t like making this whole "Adam Page got kidnapped by WWE" thing into a comedy bit at the ROH PPV (and the fact that ROH let them do it is also infuriating). The fact of the matter is that the Bucks are extremely smart businessmen. I could be wrong, but I think they were the ones who got the PWG exception put back into ROH contracts, and while I'm not sure if the DX/nWo rip-off stuff was entirely their idea, they are the ones who saw it was getting over and so double down on it and went even more over the top with it and took it to the point where they can merchandise it, and they and Omega are the ones who noticed that Bullet Club was getting stale and so they and Omega (the other person in the group who was as over as they were) created "The Elite" so they have a ready-made way to break off of Bullet Club when the time comes. The problem is that this means that they are always going to do the thing that gets them over (rather than what is good for the product in the long term) and because of the way that the combination of the fans (particularly PWG crowds and Dave putting those crowds over, and the post-Mania Raw crowds and WWE putting those crowds over) have driven things and already over guys like the Bucks seeing which way the wind was blowing and playing to that more and more and trying to push things in that direction because that is the direction that is best for them, the things the Bucks wind up doing to replace their current shtick is just going to be some other stupid, goofy thing that they will go way too far over the top with.

I also disagree with your description of their little stunt as "something everyone is scared to do." I'm not saying that other promotions don't know that if they did it, bad things would happen, but I think the real reason you don't see it happening is that most promoters and bookers have realized that it just makes them look bad. Cookie-Gate, the Voodoo Kin Mafia bullsh*t, every time in the early 2000s when an indy would sh*t on WWE, or in the late 2000s when promoters would try to bury WWE for being PG... it always made them look stupid and desperate and always made them come off worse. And it's not just restricted to them, either. It's any time you've got a much smaller promotion doing something like that to go after a bigger one: the XPW guys at Heatwave, or JCW trying to pull the same thing on TNA in 2007, Shane Douglas with the Extreme Rising t-shirt, that XPW "Cold Day in Hell" reunion show where they tried to frame it as them vs. Vince, that thing Wrestlicious did where they accused WWE and TNA of stealing all of their talent, as if the women in question hadn't been on the map- or even in WWE or TNA before Wrestlicious ever started taping. Promoters have realized that that sort of thing never got them anything and just made them look bad, whereas not trying to get attention by poking the larger bear actually has gotten them things (I doubt TNA would have let ROH use their guys with the frequency they did in 2006-2008 if ROH had buried them for pulling their talent in 2004, and ditto in 2010-2011 if ROH bad buried them for pulling their talent after the PPV deal, working with WWE did a lot for ECW, working with WWE has done wonders for PROGRESS and EVOLVE, working with WWN has done wonders for Beyond and WWA4, and even WWE was willing to help ROH out at times, like Punk's return in 2006 or sending Dreamer to do the angle with Raven and Punk at Death Before Dishonor). It's not that they're afraid to so much as they don't think it's a good idea, so whether or not they're afraid to never has the chance to even enter into the equation.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation