BRM Reviews the 9/25/2017 Raw

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 9/25/2017 Raw

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 26th, '17, 14:28

MIZ TV WITH SPECIAL GUEST ROMAN REIGNS- frustrating.
Miz once again talks about his and Maryse’s “unborn child” (a phrase he made sure to use every time) and called Kurt Angle’s son Jason Jordan a loser, making sure to mention Kurt every time. Then he brought out Roman… and something odd is going on here, because Roman’s reaction sounded to be like it was 70/30 in favor of him, but also a MUCH quieter than any reaction I’ve ever seen him have.
Roman says that he now respects John Cena because Cena “backed up everything he said” (which he sure as hell didn’t) and because Roman has apparently only now just realized that John Cena has been a top guy for fifteen years. Nuh-uh. I’m calling bullsh*t on this one. You can’t say all of the things that Roman said about Cena (especially in that last promo) and then all of a sudden respect the guy because you had a wrestling match against him. This comes off as Roman being completely self-serving “I beat the guy and then he also put me over on the mic, so I’m now going to do whatever I can to reestablish his credibility with the fans that I have been trying to break down because now it benefits me for him to have said credibility.
Roman then described beating Cena as “the biggest win of my career.” Did you win the WWE World Heavyweight Title in the main event of WrestleMania?
Then, completely out of nowhere, Roman started being extremely rude to Miz and calling him an idiot. Then Miz claimed that the Miz-Tourage could beat The Shield and they positioned Roman as being pro-beer and Miz as being pro-prohibition. Roman wanted to fight Miz but Miz backed down. The Kurt came out and made Roman vs. Miz official for later tonight (as well as booking Miz-Tourage vs. Jason Jordan & Matt Hardy). We’re back to the point where it feels like everything that happens is less of a wrestling show and more of one big scheme to get people to cheer Roman.

JASON JORDAN & MATT HARDY (w/Jeff Hardy) vs. THE MIZ-TOURAGE- 4.5/10
Jordan got almost no reaction whatsoever when he came out.

THE DRIFTER SINGS- he makes fun of both the locale and Apollo Crews.

“THE DRIFTER” ELIAS SAMPSON vs. APOLLO CREWS (w/Titus O’Neil)- 0.5/10
Crews has the best babyface music in all of wrestling. Sampson attack Titus to get an advantage on Crews. Sampson won the match and tried to attack Titus afterwards but Titus fought back and made Sampson retreat.

CHARLY CARUSO INTERVIEWS FINN BALOR- good

CURT HAWKINS PROMO- why are we wasting time with this?

CURT HAWKINS vs. BRAUN STROWMAN- Hawkins tries to run away but Braun chases him down and obliterates him, including a chokeslam through a table and a running powerslam through the set. Braun then says he’s not leaving until someone comes out and gives him “a real fight.” I was hoping for someone like Joe or even Rhyno would have been cool, but instead we got Dean Ambrose. Snore. It’s not that I don’t like Dean… I just like him as a guy who will give me the hard-hitting Braun Strowman brawl that Braun needs, and I don’t like him being fed to Braun when he is one of the tag champs.

DEAN AMBROSE vs. BRAUN STROWMAN- 4.5/10

KURT ANGLE & ENZO BACKSTAGE- Enzo suggests that Kurt book him a victory celebration. Kurt says he doesn’t think Enzo deserves one because of the way he won it. Enzo insists that he won a title and thus deserves a celebration, coming off like a heel. Then Kurt tried to offer him some wrestling advice but Enzo blew him off like a jerk.

ROLLINS & AMBROSE BACKSTAGE- this was very good until Dean tried to criticize Seth for being too predictable and Seth, in total hack, sit-com fashion, decides that Dean is right and he should be more predictable, and thus he will go ask Kurt for a match with Braun next week. Anyway, Dean’s injured shoulder means that he won’t be able to be at ringside for Seth’s match with Sheamus later tonight.

ALEXA BLISS! & MICKIE JAMES SEGMENT- F*CKING AMAZING!
First Alexa showed up and cut an awesome promo. Then Mickie came out and she was awesome as well. Mickie was great and Alexa was her usual level of awesome (“Mickie, I think you still have a lot to offer the WWE. I mean, you even have… a couple of fans who say ‘you’ve still got it,’” and “I don’t want to see you break a hip.”). They built up to the reveal of what Alexa said on Raw Talk very well, and while the “old lady” line might seem anticlimactic, Mickie sold it in exactly the right way that told you that it was the sentiment and disrespect involved that upset her rather than the admittedly weak words, and Mickie’s actions made it clear that such disrespect would no longer be tolerated.

SETH ROLLINS vs. SHEAMUS (w/Cesaro)- 5.25/10
Seth wins cleanly, even without Dean at ringside, which seems to defeat the purpose of the earlier segment.

GOLDUST & BALOR BACKSTAGE- good.
Goldust interpreted Balor’s earlier comments about Bray victimizing him as an insult. Balor apologized. Goldust seemed to accept this apology, but then attacked Balor. Then he quoted The Godfather: Part 2, and if anyone else had done that it would have been stupid, but with Goldust it makes perfect sense.
Speaking of things making sense, the only thing that I didn’t like in this segment was Balor telling Goldust “I’ve always considered you a friend,” simply because I think this might have been the very first time we’ve seen them interact with each other. Then, lo and behold, Michael Cole asked Booker T, the man who knows Goldust better than anyone, what Balor could have done to make Goldust so upset, and Booker T said that the thing that probably upset Goldust was the idea of this young punk a generation younger than him who he has never hung out with before referring to them as friends.

CENA VIDEO PACKAGE- good for what it was.

ROMAN REIGNS vs. THE MIZ (w/the Miz-Tourage)- 3.5/10
This match was way too short. Roman won, as we all knew he would. The Miz-Tourage jumped him from behind after the match, but of course Roman made his own comeback and beat them all up until they finally came back with chairs and beat him up. No one came out to try to help Roman. Not security or any other wrestlers or even any other referees than the one for this match. Shouldn’t at least Jason Jordan have tried to help him? Miz-Tourage eventually left, but then they came back and beat him up some more. Still no one has come out to help Roman. Then Miz-Tourage did The Shield’s fists-in pose.

FINN BALOR vs. GOLDUST- 4.75/10
Goldust worked the ribs but Balor still got the win. After the match Bray Wyatt screen effects happened and we got a recording of a solo rendition of “He’s Got the Whole World in His Hand” from one of the children from Bray Wyatt’s creepy children’s choir, so this atrocious feud will continue.

SASHA & BAYLEY BACKSTAGE- Sasha is upset because Bayley broke up her submission last night. She insists that she’s over it, but we all know that the way WWE works, this means that is obviously isn’t. Then Bayley cut a good promo about wanting to get revenge on Nia for injuring her.

KURT ANGLE & ENZO BACKSTAGE- he interrupts Kurt while Kurt is on the phone and demands that no one be allowed to touch him during his celebration. Last night was definitely supposed to be a heel turn. There is no way it wasn’t.

NIA JAX & EMMA vs. SASHA BANKS & BAYLEY- 4.25/10
Bayley pins Emma… but after she tagged herself in even though Sasha had total control of things, a point which was completely missed by the announcers.

ENZO AMORE’S CHAMPIONSHIP CELEBRATION- he cut a massive heel promo on everyone. All of the Cruiserweights came out and Enzo insulted them some more. The only thing that made this different than Alexa Bliss!’s championship celebration earlier this year was that there was a kayfabe reason that the other wrestlers had to sit there and take our heel’s verbal tirades. Then Neville came out to speak for all of the Cruiserweights and cut a babyface promo burying Enzo. He also implied that the Cruiserweights are the one who control who is on 205 Live, which seems odd to me. As far as worked-shoots go, this is a lot more along the lines of what I’d like to see than the Cena vs. Roman stuff was.
Neville attacked Enzo despite the “no contact clause.” The other Cruiserweights prevented Enzo from escaping and clapped as Neville kicked Enzo’s ass. As far as double-turns go, this was very effective (although it definitely made the rest of the division look like background characters. I might actually watch 205 Live this week.

This was a pretty bad episode of Raw, but pretty much everything they did revolving around the Raw Women’s Title and the Cruiserweight Title was excellent, and just that stuff alone made it feel like I didn’t waste my time by watching it.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 9/25/2017 Raw

Post by cero2k » Sep 26th, '17, 14:35

after the show all the cruiserweights hit their finishers on Enzo and WWE posted the video on their youtube and twitter. So I take it no one can challenge Enzo until someone debuts. Good way to avoid future bad matches in PPVs

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 26th, '17, 21:56

I kinda felt like Kurt Angle isn't really gonna care about the no shots clause lol. Eventually they'll have to find a way around that lol.

Besides, who runs 205 live? If it's not also Angle, I'm not sure said person will Care lol
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 26th, '17, 22:34

cero2k wrote: Sep 26th, '17, 14:35 after the show all the cruiserweights hit their finishers on Enzo and WWE posted the video on their youtube and twitter. So I take it no one can challenge Enzo until someone debuts. Good way to avoid future bad matches in PPVs
The question, then, becomes who will it be?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3