WWE issues statement on Jinder Mahal promo from SmackDown

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

WWE issues statement on Jinder Mahal promo from SmackDown

Post by cero2k » Sep 21st, '17, 12:07

Source: f4wonline.com

In response to criticism that Jinder Mahal's promo from SmackDown -- where he was scripted to mock Shinsuke Nakamura's looks and race -- has received, WWE issued a statement on the segment to the Washington Post last night.

“Just like many other TV shows or movies, WWE creates programming with fictional personalities that incorporates real world issues and sensitive subjects," the company said. “As a producer of such TV shows, WWE Corporate is committed to embracing and celebrating individuals from all backgrounds as demonstrated by the diversity of our employees, performers and fans worldwide.”

The promo was the follow-up to a similar segment from the week prior where Mahal tried to prove that the fans will treat Nakamura the same way that they treat him because he also looks and talks differently.

Mahal's comments this week included telling Nakamura that he always "rooks the same" and saying that the fans call him Mr. Miyagi (from the movie "The Karate Kid") behind his back, which drew a "That's too far" chant from the audience. WWE never uploaded a clip of the promo to their YouTube channel.

The statement was a response to some mainstream criticism the segment got, including the story that was being worked on by the Washington Post. The Washington Post article also included quotes from Dave Meltzer, who called the segment embarrassing for WWE and discussed the history of the foreign heel character in pro wrestling.

“Wrestling was always in its own little world,” Meltzer said. “Now everyone watches it, and you can’t get away with those kind of old tricks. The fan base will blame it on the company and not on the heel.”

KILLdozer

Re: WWE issues statement on Jinder Mahal promo from SmackDown

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 22nd, '17, 07:40

So this just furthers the obviously already known, that nothing's going to work for this (Mr Richelle voice from loiter squad) idiot, they way they're thinking it will.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Sep 23rd, '17, 01:30

I'm not sure why they ever thought this was a good idea. Because he's not white?

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 23rd, '17, 07:42

Racism is the hottest thing going right now in the WWE, duh lol.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 23rd, '17, 21:34

Serujuunin wrote: Sep 23rd, '17, 01:30 I'm not sure why they ever thought this was a good idea. Because he's not white?
Yes. My guess is that they thought they could make themselves look like the babyfaces and make the fans look good by having the fans boo Jinder's racism.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 23rd, '17, 21:40

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 23rd, '17, 21:34
Serujuunin wrote: Sep 23rd, '17, 01:30 I'm not sure why they ever thought this was a good idea. Because he's not white?
Yes. My guess is that they thought they could make themselves look like the babyfaces and make the fans look good by having the fans boo Jinder's racism.
I already legitimately and perfectly answered that question.