BRM Reviews the 8/18/2011 Impact (sh*t)

All Impact Wrestling (FKA TNA/GFW 2017) Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 8/18/2011 Impact (sh*t)

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 21st, '11, 07:57

OPENING SEGMENT- TERRIBLE! Remember how Sting made such a big deal about how he needed to hold the TNA World Heavyweight Title because it would give him the stroke he needed to fight Immortal? And remember how he lost the belt at Hardcore Justice? You would think that the loss of the thing he claimed to need most would be something he would address in his promo. But no. It wasn’t even mentioned once. Nor was Kurt Angle’s betrayal.
Then they blow Flair’s return on this random segment with Sting, rather than with Bobby Roode… THE GUY WHO PUT HIM OUT!
And this segment is building towards two matches that NO ONE wants to see! IT ISN’T 1995 ANYMORE! No one wants to see Hogan vs. Sting or Flair vs. Sting!

HOGAN & FLAIR BACKSTAGE- Obnoxious, stupid, and took WAY too much time.

BOUND FOR GLORY SERIES MATCH: Scott Steiner vs. Devon Dudley- DUD! Short and WEAK! I know that Steiner was using illegal leverage, but Devon got pinned so early that it just makes him look weak. I don’t think that anyone watching this match wouldn’t have said “WTF? I could get my shoulder up after THAT! Devon took almost NO punishment and oversold his grogginess ridiculously.

JOE JUMPS DEVON- Bad. Devon’s kids jump that guardrail- WHERE IS SECURITY? Then Pope comes out and Joe leaves? WTF?

JOE PROMO- AWESOME… if this angle wasn’t so dumb.

X-DIVISION GUANTLET MATCH: WTF? ALEX SHELLEY ELIMINATED BY A JOBBER AFTER TWO MOVES? DUD! This match got just over six minutes of airtime… FOR SEVEN MATCHES?! WTF? All this did is make all of these guys except for Sorensen look weak, and Sorensen himself didn’t look that good.

AUSTIN ARIES PROMO- AWESOME

TRACI BROOKS RETURNS AS KNOCKOUT LAW TO DEAL WITH AN OUT OF CONTROL KNOCKOUTS DIVISION- I booked this TWO YEARS AGO in the original “BRM Books TNA” thread back on OWW!

MICKIE JAMES vs. ODB (w/Jackie Moore)- 4.5/10

WINTER & ANGELINA SEGMENT- Dull. They still haven’t explained what was going on with all of Winter’s cryptic sh*t from a few months ago. What is going on between her and Angelina?!

Because this wasn’t something that you might want to spend some time hyping up:
BOUND FOR GLORY SERIES MATCH: Rob Van Dam vs. AJ Styles- 5.5/10 SIX MINUTES?

FLAIR LOOKS FOR STING- TERRIBLE! This just wasted my time, and made the guy they have been pushing for a few months looks like a punk.

ERIC YOUNG SH*T- SH*T

KURT-CRIMSON SEGMENT- at least it built towards something.

TNA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Beer Money(c) vs. Mexican America (w/Sarita & Rosita)- 6.5/10 Not good enough for a main event.
Why didn’t they send Sarita & Rosita to the back? They sent them to the back at Hardcore Justice and they also sent Hernandez & Anarquia to the back for Sarita & Rosita’s match. Why do the refs trust them all of a sudden?

Overall, this episode of Impact SUCKED. TWO duds, and a lot of dumb sh*t no one wanted to see, while the stuff that people did want to see didn’t get enough time.

Stupid Announcer Quotes:
1. Taz miscalled a deadlift as a gutwrench. They are two entirely different things!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

badnewzxl

Re: BRM Reviews the 8/18/2011 Impact (sh*t)

Post by badnewzxl » Aug 21st, '11, 09:14

Dead on this time, ecept two points:

1. EY is HILARIOUS! I think this is exactly the way a TV title should be used: TO GIVE THE CHAMP MORE TV TIME/EXPOSURE TO GET OVER. EY's a comedy guy, so him going around to Hollywood is GREAT!

2. Winter explained the whole thing with Angelina back when Angelina was still in her "trance." Apparently, Angelina and Winter had some sort of relationship in a past life where they were some sort of ruling power. that's why Winter always talked about how their time would come "again." Maybe they're going the vampire route with this, now that the blood's been introduced the way it has, but I take it as Winter being some sort of witch or supernatural type entity an Angelina is the reincarnation of Winter's partner.

But year; the rest of that show sucked; I thought the Jarrett's helping MA was a good move....

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Aug 21st, '11, 09:29

badnewzxl wrote:1. EY is HILARIOUS! I think this is exactly the way a TV title should be used: TO GIVE THE CHAMP MORE TV TIME/EXPOSURE TO GET OVER. EY's a comedy guy, so him going around to Hollywood is GREAT!
EY should be doing stuff with other wrestlers, not trying to fight an 80s actor.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 21st, '11, 10:43

Rabid619 wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:1. EY is HILARIOUS! I think this is exactly the way a TV title should be used: TO GIVE THE CHAMP MORE TV TIME/EXPOSURE TO GET OVER. EY's a comedy guy, so him going around to Hollywood is GREAT!
EY should be doing stuff with other wrestlers, not trying to fight an 80s actor.
THIS!

Additionally (and perhaps more importantly), when the belt is involved in dumb comedy sh*t, it makes the belt look like a joke. What benefit is their to the guy who takes belt off of EY? All he will be doing is taking a never defended joke belt off of an incompetent moron.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 21st, '11, 10:46

badnewzxl wrote:
2. Winter explained the whole thing with Angelina back when Angelina was still in her "trance." Apparently, Angelina and Winter had some sort of relationship in a past life where they were some sort of ruling power. that's why Winter always talked about how their time would come "again." Maybe they're going the vampire route with this, now that the blood's been introduced the way it has, but I take it as Winter being some sort of witch or supernatural type entity an Angelina is the reincarnation of Winter's partner.
Then they should probably mention this on TV often enough so that someone who might have missed that episode (or even that segment, as I apparently did) will have some idea at all what is going on. THAT is what a good announcer/commentator should do.

And if this is the angle they are doing... WTF? How could someone possibly think this was a good idea?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Aug 21st, '11, 21:09

Big Red Machine wrote:
Rabid619 wrote:
THIS!

Additionally (and perhaps more importantly), when the belt is involved in dumb comedy sh*t, it makes the belt look like a joke. What benefit is their to the guy who takes belt off of EY? All he will be doing is taking a never defended joke belt off of an incompetent moron.
which could be viewed as returning prestige/credibility to the title.....

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 21st, '11, 22:18

badnewzxl wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:

which could be viewed as returning prestige/credibility to the title.....
Which is a position that you should never be in in the first place! What is the point of the title if it has no prestige/credibility?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Aug 21st, '11, 22:35

Does anybody really want to see Crimson vs. Angle? Like, would that really sell a PPV?
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Styles

Post by Styles » Aug 22nd, '11, 00:51

yourcrapsweak wrote:Does anybody really want to see Crimson vs. Angle? Like, would that really sell a PPV?
Crimson no matter how far TNA push him, will not get over yet.

His ass too green to put on a match that'd make us go "shit, he's good" because we'd be lying. His promo skills aren't all that, granted, he's not bad, but he's no CM Punk for sure.

All TNA really see in this guy is his look, and it's a great look by the way. But Tomko had a great look and spent a lot of time underused. Crimson is taking the spot Matt Morgan should be holding, except Morgan would bring better promos and better in-ring performances.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 22nd, '11, 08:27

yourcrapsweak wrote:Does anybody really want to see Crimson vs. Angle? Like, would that really sell a PPV?
Not by itself. I think the bigger question is: "is it too soon to do this?," to which I think the answer is a resounding "YES!" These sort of matches only work if we have reason to care about the guys involved. Crimson has only been featured prominently on TV for about five months now. We haven't had time to develop any deep feelings for him.

Newly-heel Kurt is even worse, due to the remarkable silliness behind his heel turn. Furthermore, from both a logical and an intellgient booking standpoint, Kurt vs. Crimson is not the right feud to be having. If Hogan and Bischoff have had power since BFG, then Crimson can't be a Dixie-bring-in, and thus,Kurt should have no problem with him. If I remember correctly Crimson is (kayfabe) a Jeff Jarrett bring-in due to his MMA challenge BS. If he isn't a Dixie bring-in, then taking him out won't make Dixie feel overly-sad.

The correct person for Kurt to attack should have been obvious to any intelligent booker: How did you get hell heat in ECW (and especially right off of a turn)? You went after Tommy. In early 90's WCW? You went after Sting. In WWF in the 80's? You went after Hogan. How do you do it in TNA? You go after AJ.

Look at Bubba Ray. His feud with Devon wasn't particularly bad, and neither man is by any means a bad worker. But people only began seeing Bubba as an upper-midcard heel once he feuded with AJ. From the logical POV, of course, AJ is TNA's and, therefore Dixie's golden boy. He was the leader of the Frontline. To many wrestling fans around the world, AJ represents the concept of amazing, hungry young talent who has proven himself worthy to be a world champion. Kurt should have gone after AJ.

We care about AJ enough to make this work, and the booking works out to several possibilities that TNA seems to already be building towards. You have Kurt injure AJ, but AJ still wants to compete in his BFG Series matches because he wants to win the World Title (and now he especially want to win it from Kurt because of their beef). You have the injury be a big deal and have guys go after AJ's leg in matches to get themselves the submission win. AJ is now in no position to make it into the Top Four for the match at No Surrender, but you have Kurt call him out and offer him a TNA World Title shot at that PPV (with Kurt telling AJ that he wants him to accept the match, so that he can put him out of wrestling for good.

At the PPV, you have Kurt win but not break the hold after the bell, with Daniels coming out to chase Kurt off. This leads to Daniels getting a title shot on Impact which he loses via Angle Lock, with AJ making the save when Kurt let go of the hold. AJ then agrees to give Daniels the rematch that he has been asking for at BFG, which Daniels wins. Then Daniels insists on one more match at the next PPV so that they can be 100% sure that AJ is healthy.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Aug 22nd, '11, 14:55

Styles wrote:

His a** too green to put on a match that'd make us go "s**t, he's good" because we'd be lying. His promo skills aren't all that, granted, he's not bad, but he's no CM Punk for sure.

All TNA really see in this guy is his look, and it's a great look by the way. But Tomko had a great look and spent a lot of time underused. Crimson is taking the spot Matt Morgan should be holding, except Morgan would bring better promos and better in-ring performances.
I don't think you're giving Crimson enough credit. No; he's not GREAT, but that's the reason to put him in there with Kurt Angle. He's pretty solid in the ring; solid enough to put on a decent match with anyone. The crowd is behind him pretty good and he's undefeated. They could sell this match with "can Crimson remain undefeated by beating Kurt Angle?" I'm positive he won't win, but a great match with Angle could be all he needs to become the top face in TNA.

As far as promos go, NOBODY is CM Punk. There's a HUGE gap between not bad and Punk calibur

And I don't think Crimson's taking Morgan's place; I'm sure Morgan was set to win the BFG series and main event BFG. not a small feud for No Surrender where he def wouldn't win the title. They're doing with Crimson kind what they did with Joe in 2006....

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Aug 22nd, '11, 15:15

badnewzxl wrote:They're doing with Crimson kind what they did with Joe in 2006....
I dont recall Joes matches being him taking a beating through most of it then using a few moves to pick up a win though. Joe proved during his streak that he was a tough guy to beat. Crimson looks tough but the fact that his matches haven't been very good, not even that good for a kid is something. He's too green. I get that they're trying to push him but all thats propelling him is his look. He has very little in ring skill and they're having him win matches by basically getting beat up then using a few moves on guys like Brother Ray to beat them 1-2-3.

Styles

Post by Styles » Aug 23rd, '11, 00:33

badnewzxl wrote:
Styles wrote:

His a** too green to put on a match that'd make us go "s**t, he's good" because we'd be lying. His promo skills aren't all that, granted, he's not bad, but he's no CM Punk for sure.

I don't think you're giving Crimson enough credit. No; he's not GREAT, but that's the reason to put him in there with Kurt Angle. He's pretty solid in the ring; solid enough to put on a decent match with anyone. The crowd is behind him pretty good and he's undefeated. They could sell this match with "can Crimson remain undefeated by beating Kurt Angle?" I'm positive he won't win, but a great match with Angle could be all he needs to become the top face in TNA.

As far as promos go, NOBODY is CM Punk. There's a HUGE gap between not bad and Punk calibur

And I don't think Crimson's taking Morgan's place; I'm sure Morgan was set to win the BFG series and main event BFG. not a small feud for No Surrender where he def wouldn't win the title. They're doing with Crimson kind what they did with Joe in 2006....
I'm not saying he ACTUALLY stole Morgan's spot, what I'm saying is Morgan would be more adequate. Crimson has been there 5 minutes and a World Title Contender? No. Bad Booking. I like the kid and there's a lot of potential, but that's not enough to put him where he is now. TNA have put too much stock into Crimson. I agree having him in with Angle would be a good thing, who better to help him go over? But he shouldn't be leading a world title picture.

NWK

Post by NWK » Aug 24th, '11, 18:37

Big Red Machine wrote: THIS!

You say this like the midcard belt had any prestige to begin with. TNA literally broke all the cardinal rules of bringing prestige to a belt. They rechristened it about three times, and when they did, they added stipulations that were never followed up on, (The Legends Title did nothing to solidify anyone as a legend, The Global Title was defended in America once, and that was a joke match, and the TV title wasn't defended every night) So I think the writers of TNA have given up all hope of even caring about the belt, so there's zero point on hating on Eric Young, when he had nothing to do with the poor booking/prestige building of the title anyway.
The Andy Rooney of WR, NWK

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 24th, '11, 20:08

NWK wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: THIS!

You say this like the midcard belt had any prestige to begin with. TNA literally broke all the cardinal rules of bringing prestige to a belt. They rechristened it about three times, and when they did, they added stipulations that were never followed up on, (The Legends Title did nothing to solidify anyone as a legend, The Global Title was defended in America once, and that was a joke match, and the TV title wasn't defended every night) So I think the writers of TNA have given up all hope of even caring about the belt, so there's zero point on hating on Eric Young, when he had nothing to do with the poor booking/prestige building of the title anyway.
I'm not hating on EY. I am a fan of his. Both his comedy wrestling, and the few times he has been booked to be serious. I think he is one of the most underrated promo guys in the business right now. I am hating on the writing. Just because the belt has no prestige doesn't mean that you should crap on it even more. If the belt has no prestige, then it has no purpose, and shouldn't be on TV. They shouldn't be wasting time with this sh*t.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Aug 25th, '11, 20:06

Rabid619 wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:They're doing with Crimson kind what they did with Joe in 2006....
I dont recall Joes matches being him taking a beating through most of it then using a few moves to pick up a win though. Joe proved during his streak that he was a tough guy to beat. Crimson looks tough but the fact that his matches haven't been very good, not even that good for a kid is something. He's too green. I get that they're trying to push him but all thats propelling him is his look. He has very little in ring skill and they're having him win matches by basically getting beat up then using a few moves on guys like Brother Ray to beat them 1-2-3.
Crimson doesn't get beat up for most of his matches; he just doesn't dominate. Joe was playing the dominant role during his streak; he only faced X Division guys up until the last three months of his streak. Crimson doesn't dominate his matches, but he wins them straight up and has plenty of offense during them....

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Aug 25th, '11, 20:11

badnewzxl wrote:Crimson doesn't get beat up for most of his matches; he just doesn't dominate. Joe was playing the dominant role during his streak; he only faced X Division guys up until the last three months of his streak. Crimson doesn't dominate his matches, but he wins them straight up and has plenty of offense during them....
Was this a one time occurrence? He takes the brunt of the beating, then hits a few moves for the win. Thats been the formula for Crimson matches during this BFG tournament. The kid is FAR too green for them to do that. Hell, nobody should do that unless it works with the angle which it doesnt in this case. I honestly hope they have Joe be the one to kill Crimsons streak because Joes streak shouldn't be broken in TNA especially by a guy who's as green as Crimson. He's got a look but he just can't get much to go along with it right now.

Also i'd like to point out that in story, Crimson is a Dixie Carter guy. He was re-packaged a bit to tease "They" earlier this year, Fourtune technically is doing what they do for Dixie Carter and Crimson was with "They" so that makes him a Dixie Carter guy.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Aug 26th, '11, 16:15

Let me point out, Rabs, that your argument that he's "too green" to have a match with Angle is complete baloney. Cena faced Angle in one of his first matches in the WWE and all it did was help the guy get over. Crimson is just as good as Cena was back then; is he not?

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Aug 26th, '11, 16:26

badnewzxl wrote:Let me point out, Rabs, that your argument that he's "too green" to have a match with Angle is complete baloney. Cena faced Angle in one of his first matches in the WWE and all it did was help the guy get over. Crimson is just as good as Cena was back then; is he not?
Difference then was that Cena wasn't pushed anywhere near like this. Cena debuted and said he was tough and fought Angle to prove it. TNA is shoving Crimson down our throats as a guy who's unbeatable. Theres a difference. Cena was not in a tournament to prove himself as a title contender almost right off the bat. TNA is pushing Crimson too fast and too strong. He's got the look sure BUT his in ring stuff needs to be polished before getting the sort of push he happens to be getting.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 30th, '11, 10:45

Rabid619 wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:Let me point out, Rabs, that your argument that he's "too green" to have a match with Angle is complete baloney. Cena faced Angle in one of his first matches in the WWE and all it did was help the guy get over. Crimson is just as good as Cena was back then; is he not?
Difference then was that Cena wasn't pushed anywhere near like this. Cena debuted and said he was tough and fought Angle to prove it. TNA is shoving Crimson down our throats as a guy who's unbeatable. Theres a difference. Cena was not in a tournament to prove himself as a title contender almost right off the bat. TNA is pushing Crimson too fast and too strong.
Exactly! If you remember, Cena lasted less than three minutes in his first match. He stood out, however, because he lasted a lot longer than the two guys who had done the same thing before him.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation