BRM Reviews the 4/21/2011 Impact

All Impact Wrestling (FKA TNA/GFW 2017) Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 4/21/2011 Impact

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 23rd, '11, 06:00

OPENING SEGMENT- Would have been very good if not for the obvious logical issues involved. Who had the cage set up? It wasn’t Hogan & Bischoff, and it wasn’t The Network, since they would have just MADE A MATCH.

STEEL CAGE MATCH FOR THE TNA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLES: Beer Money(c) vs. Rob Terry & Murphy- 5/10. Tenay’s commentary told us that Rob Terry isn’t as much of a big deal as they have been hyping him as, so having him lose isn’t as big a deal.

MORE STUPIDITY WITH THE JARRETTS

RVD & HOGAN SEGMENT- This whole thing was worked-shooty for no reason at all. Then Sting comes out and doesn’t help much, but at least he served a purpose (informing us about the main event at Sacrifice). RVD not a main eventer? He was the TNA Champion for four months!

MADISON & TARA BACKSTAGE- Madison is delusional, now. Great.

EY & KURT ANGLE- time wasted for poop jokes.

TNA KNOCKOUTS TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Sarita & Rosita(c) (w/Mexican America) vs. Tara & Madison Rayne- DUD! Madison Rayne is pinned after a CLOTHESLINE! WTF?

KAREN-ANGLE CORONATION- dumb waste of time. How many times can we see the heels embarrassed before we stop caring? And now Kurt is bringing in a chick to feud with Karen. His logic makes no sense at all! He won’t lay a finger on Karen because she is the mother of his children… then why bring someone else in to hurt her! The effect is the same! This is either dumb booking, or TNA trying to book around Spike TV’s rule about male-on-female violence (you all know my issues with this rule and why I think it represents a terrible double-standard in society). If it is the latter, they should be booking this in the first place, if they have to book around this major impediment.

Up until this point on the show, there had been no stupid announcer quotes. Then Taz said “Queen Poopy.” I don’t care if TNA fires Taz or not… I just want his vocal chords ripped out.

ROB VAN DAM vs. ABYSS (w/Hulk Hogan)- No Rating. This match was all about the aftermath, with Crimson making the save, which was good. I was originally disappointed with Abyss needing a weapon shot to beat RVD, because he should be a monster, but it made sense that early in the match.

STING PROMO- GREAT!

MATT HARDY PROMO- FREAKIN’ AWESOME! So awesome it made me feel like it should be the build up to the main event at Sacrifice, and that they should be telling this story, instead of a random story where Sting tries to give RVD a rub that he doesn’t need.

STEINER & MORGAN SEGMENT- GREAT. Steiner is back in his heel role, which he is infinitely better at. Morgan calling pro wrestling “art” bothered me a lot. IMO, it is on the wrong side of the breaking kayfabe line.

TESSMACHER PROMO- Snore

WINTER & VELVET SEGMENT- GREAT! And LOGICAL! Someone actually acknowledged that they COULD go to the authorities, but aren’t! Velvet is the most sympathetic babyface in the company right now.

TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Sting(c) vs. Matt Hardy-6/10 although others might rate it lower- I was just really into the leg injury. This was too damn short, and it made Matt look bad as a result. It got pinned after about five moves! WTF?

AFTERMATH- eh. Anderson came off really weird here.

They shouldn’t be taking time out of Impact for reaction promos. They should put those on their website, and give the time to matches that need it.

Hogan says that Anderson is “going down with the ship”- um… Hulk… the ship, in this metaphor, would be TNA.

Stupid Announcer Quotes:
Tenay talks about the “power and control that comes with the TNA World Heavyweight Championship”- but we haven’t seen any evidence of this in the past few months. It has been either Hogan and Bischoff calling the shots because they run the show, or The Network calling the shots. The title has had nothing to do with any of it.

Tenayl talks up the fact that the pipe that Gunnar used on Sting was the same pipe that Hogan has been holding all night, saying that Hogan had to be the one to call the shot to take out Sting- Really? The pipe was what clued you in? Not the fact that it was a guy in Hogan’s stable taking out one of Hogan’s enemies? This is the sort of stuff that scares me. It makes it seem like if Gunnar had used a chair instead of the pipe, Tenay would have no idea that Hogan was behind it.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Earth Child

Re: BRM Reviews the 4/21/2011 Impact

Post by Earth Child » Apr 27th, '11, 08:21

So what exactly is happening with the whole Angelina Winter Velvet storyline? I'm not following.

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Apr 27th, '11, 08:57

Earth Child wrote:So what exactly is happening with the whole Angelina Winter Velvet storyline? I'm not following.
Winter has some kind of supernatural power over Angelina and because Winter doesnt like Velvet she keeps having Angelina attack her. Velvet instead of trying to get someone else involved to stop Winter is trying to get Angelina to break whatever hold Winter has on her but its not working so far. Basically Angelina is a zombie that does what Winter tells her to do.

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » Apr 27th, '11, 09:17

Rabid619 wrote: Winter has some kind of supernatural power over Angelina and because Winter doesnt like Velvet she keeps having Angelina attack her. Velvet instead of trying to get someone else involved to stop Winter is trying to get Angelina to break whatever hold Winter has on her but its not working so far. Basically Angelina is a zombie that does what Winter tells her to do.
Hmmm , interesting.

A supernatural power?

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Apr 27th, '11, 09:43

Earth Child wrote:A supernatural power?
Well its not exactly normal that someone can control another person like that and the person cant no sell everything unless they're being controlled. Its kinda dumb if you ask me....

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Apr 27th, '11, 09:43

Earth Child wrote:
Rabid619 wrote: Winter has some kind of supernatural power over Angelina and because Winter doesnt like Velvet she keeps having Angelina attack her. Velvet instead of trying to get someone else involved to stop Winter is trying to get Angelina to break whatever hold Winter has on her but its not working so far. Basically Angelina is a zombie that does what Winter tells her to do.
Hmmm , interesting.

A supernatural power?
no i wouldnt say supernatural..if anything its been implied she drugged her or somethin
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 27th, '11, 11:44

Earth Child wrote:
Hmmm , interesting.

A supernatural power?
They have made it quite clear (without outright saying so, which is good) that Winter is drugging her. There is nothing supernatural about it.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Apr 27th, '11, 13:27

Big Red Machine wrote:They have made it quite clear (without outright saying so, which is good) that Winter is drugging her. There is nothing supernatural about it.
Doesnt explain that she practically no sells everything when she gets in the ring or when someone gets some offense in on her.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 27th, '11, 14:06

Rabid619 wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:They have made it quite clear (without outright saying so, which is good) that Winter is drugging her. There is nothing supernatural about it.
Doesnt explain that she practically no sells everything when she gets in the ring or when someone gets some offense in on her.
Who?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Apr 27th, '11, 14:21

^ angelina

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 27th, '11, 14:44

KILLdozer wrote:^ angelina
There wasn't much for her to no-sell. And it could be an effect of the drug. It clearly makes her suggestible, why not numb her pain receptors or whatever), too.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Apr 27th, '11, 14:48

Big Red Machine wrote:
KILLdozer wrote:^ angelina
There wasn't much for her to no-sell. And it could be an effect of the drug. It clearly makes her suggestible, why not numb her pain receptors or whatever), too.
exactly,,,i was gonna say drugs can heighten the tolerance for pain greatly

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Apr 27th, '11, 15:27

Yeah but think about it, she's just acting like she's being controlled. On top of that they had Winter do that thing when she debuted that only Angelina could see her.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 27th, '11, 15:49

Rabid619 wrote:Yeah but think about it, she's just acting like she's being controlled. On top of that they had Winter do that thing when she debuted that only Angelina could see her.
They dropped that months ago, and never actually had anyone looking through her, so it doesn't matter.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Apr 27th, '11, 15:53

but i like the angle,,interested to see where this goes

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Apr 27th, '11, 16:17

Big Red Machine wrote:They dropped that months ago, and never actually had anyone looking through her, so it doesn't matter.
I know they dropped it, its TNA they drop and start things at random.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Apr 27th, '11, 21:00

Rabid619 wrote:Yeah but think about it, she's just acting like she's being controlled. On top of that they had Winter do that thing when she debuted that only Angelina could see her.
yeah; that's the hint of supernatural. When Winter comes out, Angelina immediately turns towards her. It's kinda like Taker and the urn back in the day, but not quite.

The last couple episodes, we see Angelina drinking "the kool-aid" so drugs def is suggested as well....

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 28th, '11, 00:00

Rabid619 wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:They dropped that months ago, and never actually had anyone looking through her, so it doesn't matter.
I know they dropped it, its TNA they drop and start things at random.
Except this wasn't dropped in the same way because they never mentioned it on the air. For all kayfabe intents and purposes, Winter was just very quick, and Velvet might have been a bit unobservant.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Apr 28th, '11, 07:40

badnewzxl wrote:yeah; that's the hint of supernatural. When Winter comes out, Angelina immediately turns towards her. It's kinda like Taker and the urn back in the day, but not quite.

The last couple episodes, we see Angelina drinking "the kool-aid" so drugs def is suggested as well....
I guess i missed the "Kool-aid" drinking. Either way im not too fond of the angle which no doubt will lead to Angelina vs Winter when Angelina snaps out of it some point down the line.