cero2k
Site Admin

Cero Reviews Impact Wrestling Victory Road 2021

Post by cero2k » Sep 22nd, '21, 23:23

Impact Wrestling Victory Road 2021
September 18, 2021
Nashville, TN

Petey Williams vs. TJP vs. Steve Maclin - 7.5/10
This was really good, while they build up dissension between TJP and Petey, the match was still laid out to make Maclin look incredibly dominant. Petey and TJP are not geeks, but Maclin was still taking them on at the same time. They still did Petey and TJP stuff when they would get rid of Maclin, but he just kept coming. I never saw him in the fed, but he's really good. The ending of the match played into Petey and TJP trying to take each other our and not realizing that Petey had left himself over for Maclin to jump in with Mayhem For All and pin TJP, who had taken the Destroyer seconds prior.

I don't know when, but Maclin could be a good X Division after Josh drops it.

Laredo Kid vs. Black Taurus vs. John Skyler vs. Trey Miguel vs. Jake Something - 7/10
There was no stipulation or build up to this match, but commentary sold it as getting a potential challenger for the X Division title coming out of this match. Laredo Kid got the win over Skyler, who he has been kinda feuding with, so at least he has a tie breaker win over him now. Kid is also the perfect one month type of challenger that can deliver a good match and take off for other people to walk up on the ranking.

The match itself was ok, Something and Taurus were my MVPs, they just looked impressive in whatever they did.

Taylor Wilde (w/Jordynne Grace & Rachael Ellering) vs. Tenille Dashwood (w/Kaleb With A K & Madison Rayne) - 5/10
These two have been feuding for months now and we finally finally got Wilde her fair match with people backing her up and then everyone being kicked to the back when The Influence kept trying to get involved outside the ring.

The match wasn't anything special, neither woman is bad, I'd even say the match inside the ring was good, but I just wasn't invested in Wilde and all I wanted to see was her winning so that everyone would move on. I don't even know what Wilde is heading into if everything with the title is pointing towards Purrazzo vs Mickie James. Wilde won with a bridging German.

Callihan & Edwards Interview - They kept the we're not friends thing going on, with Eddie telling Callihan to not push it. Alisha walked up to Eddie and told him she wanted to be at ringside because she didn't trust Sami either.

No Disqualification Match
Matt Cardona vs. Rohit Raju (w/Shera) - 7/10
This was a mix of feelings. I don't like the story, I'm not invested in Cardona or Green, but by gawd, can Rohit pull out a great match out of anyone. They didn't portray Cardona like a super wrestler that squashed Raju, they went back and forth since it was all about building to Green and Shera interfering towards the end. Rohit tried to Pillmanize Cardona, but Green came out for the save, so Cardona hit a Radio Silence after the distraction and won.

The thing that I disliked most about this match was commentary constantly trying to tell me that Rohit taking out Green with a jumping knee in a SANCTIONED match was a horrible thing, was he supposed to convince her to get pinned instead of winning the match like he would win literally every other match? if Impact thinks it's a terrible thing to do, then it's on them for booking the match.

And if it's THAT bad, why would they book a singles match for Thursday between Green and Rohit, at least in the mixed tag match, she had Cardona there.

FinJuice (David Finlay & Juice Robinson) vs. BULLET CLUB (Chris Bey & Hikuleo) - 7/10
Man, I really can't see HIkuleo and Bey as the Bullet Club. Bey barely has any BC gear on, and Hikuleo hasn't worked that much in Japan, and since I don't really watch STRONG, I don't fully relate him to the BC that much.

This match was perfectly fine, like all FinJuice matches, all wrestlers involved are solid workers, but I thought the layout was pretty basic. Juice's leg had been injured a couple of weeks ago, so that was the focus of the BC during the heat segment, then he made comeback, tagged in Finlay for the hot tag, and then they took it home when Bey caught Juice with a chair on the injured leg and set him up for a Hikuleo chokeslam for the win. I'm really curious to see where any of this goes, it's kinda weak without a bigger BC name involved.

Eddie Edwards & Sami Callihan (w/Alisha Edwards) vs. Moose & W. Morrissey - 8.5/10
This was a really good match, everything that has happened between these four men, and especially Eddie and Sami in the last couple of years, really helped this match. I wanted to see the work between Sami and Eddie, I wanted to see Moose and Morrissey work together as huge monsters, and of course, the mix of both teams against each other.

This was the second longest match of the night, so they got enough time to get everything in. They got the Eddie babyface in peril stuff out of the way early enough and then they went into chaos. Something I like about this match was that Moose and Morrissey were treated a monsters, even against a pair like Eddie and Sami, they dominated a lot and even forced the babyfaces to consider using weapons, like Eddie taking the kendo stick away from Moose and not just throwing it away, which ended up leading to the finish, when Morrissey stopped Edwards from using the kendo stick by threatening to slam Alisha. The best thing was that Moose took out Eddie with Lights Out during that distraction, and Morrissey and Moose STILL powerbombed Alisha! Eddie ended up leaving with Alisha to the back, leaving Sami alone to get killed and Moose and Morrissey got the win.

While I watched it, I wondered why the referee didn't call for a no contest after the Alisha powerbomb, since it did time out the match for a bit, but after some time, I think it was better to just call it as a quick time out to get Alisha out of danger and keep the match going.

Impact Knockouts Tag Team Championship Match
Decay (Havok & Rosemary) (c) vs. Savannah Evans & Tasha Steelz - 6/10
This was the shortest match of the night, but they wrestled it at a high pace, so it helped getting everything in while not overstaying their welcome, nor exposing themselves more than they need to. Havok got the win over Steelz with a piledriver.

Ace Austin Promo - Good. He talked about it being a miracle that Cage came back and own a title.

Impact World Tag Team Championship Match
The Good Brothers (Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson) (c) vs. Rich Swann & Willie Mack - 8/10
Really solid match that gave me the impression that it was only a means to build up a bigger match for BFG. If there was a match that I thought we may see a title change, it was this, but being so close to BFG, it just makes sense to build up for a gimmick match and have Swann and Mack get the big win over there.

The match was somewhat basic, Brothers cut off Swann, Mack with the hot tag, and into the tornado tag action towards at the end, with the Brothers getting the win with a Gun Stun and Magic Killer on Mack.

Impact X-Division Championship Match
Josh Alexander (c) vs. Chris Sabin - 9/10
This was easily the longest and best match of the night, just great wrestling, I could even argue that it was top 3 Impact matches of the year, I think Swann v Omega and Alexander vs TJP Ironman match are up there too. Alexander tried to go for the head towards the C4, but Sabin took out his arm and kept pushing forward, forcing Alexander to desperately go for the ankle instead to cripple Sabin and have a better chance at getting to the C4. Sabin worked on Alexander's arm for the whole of the match, but he did try for Cradle Shock as the match started to come to a close. Beyond that, it was just great back and forth wrestling.

I have no doubt that Josh Alexander was this year's Impact Wrestler of the Year.

Impact World Championship Match
Christian Cage (c) vs. Ace Austin (w/Madman Fulton) - 8/10
This was a really good match, but it was also just that, a good match. Cage is a great veteran and Austin a great wrestler to be carried by someone like Cage. Match was mostly back and forth with a lot of teases for each man's signature moves ending with Cage, who hit the Killswitch before Austin could hit The Fold, and thus Cage retained.

Post-match - Josh Alexander came out and simply said two things to Cage's face. Bound For Glory, Option C! I'm not crazy about Alexander's reign ending via Option C, it's smart business to have your best wrestler go for the championship, but the way Josh built himself, in this case, if he drops the X title like this, it's going to leave a really large void in that division. I feel this should had been title vs title and Josh can vacate it himself.

I do think that the next X Division champion should be Chris Sabin and have a short run of good matches until he drops it to Maclin.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Good show overall, but Sabin vs Alexander aside, I can't say that anything else was worth going out of your way to way. Maybe Maclin vs Petey vs TJP to analyze how Maclin is being built right now, I think there is something there. This is the last show before Bound For Glory, so it should feel like the last chance to finish some feuds or fuel some fires.