GFW Impact Wrestling 7.6: Post-Slammiversary XV Show

All GFW (FKA TNA/Impact) Wrestling Reviews and Discussions
Post Reply
User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14645
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

GFW Impact Wrestling 7.6: Post-Slammiversary XV Show

Post by cero2k » Jul 6th, '17, 20:44

GFW Impact Wrestling
July 6th, 2017
Orlando, FL

During the week it was announced that Konley gets a match with Dutt (non-title), Super X Cup starts, LAX reveals a new member, and some other stuff with Patron.

Alberto El Patron Celebration - Patron opens the show, along with Dos Caras and El Hijo de Dos Caras, he makes his way to the ring. Bunch of confetti and Mexican flags. I think Alberto just joked about getting drunk. Alberto announces that his brother is soon to join the roster as an active competitor, that's awesome! Alberto cuts a good babyface promo, puts over Lashley as his biggest rival and a tough SOB. Alberto he says that he's a defending champion, he says that he'll take on everyone, old and new, from the roster or independent. This brings out Lashley...

Lashley walks to the ring, and Patron is pissed throwing around the champagne, minutes after saying that he respects Lashley. Lashley calls Patron an egomaniac, when Lashley won, he didn't come to celebrations, he came straight to fight and defend the title. Lashley calls Patron's win a fluke, talks shit on Patron's family, and goes full Brian Cage from AAA talking some Trump support. Dos Caras slaps Lashley, who laughs it off and things start to get heated. Refs come out to separate them. Patron agrees to fight tonight, title on the line.

Prichard addresses the commentary situation - So no answers as to where the fuck Prichard was during Slammiversary? Prichard says that if he hopes everyone is is finally cool but the rule stands, any of these guys touch each other, they're all fired. I think this is a good thing to have if they ever wanna bring West and Flores back.

Edit:


Caleb Konley vs Sonjay Dutt - 6.5/10
This is a non-title match. Short-ish match, but a good showing for Konley. Dutt wins clean.

Post-match - Trevor Lee jumps Dutt after the match, takes his title and declares himself the new champion, leaves with the title.

Veterans of War, GRADO, and Eddie Edwards Interview - There's a 4-on-4 match tonight with these guys versus some other dudes. Only Eddie was good, but the whole thing was corny as fuck. McKenzie was awesome though. There's also a new fat guy in town.

Eli Drake, Chris Adonis, Mario Bokara, and Fallah Bahh vs Veterans of War, Eddie Edwards, and GRADO - 4/10
Adonis antagonized some instagram roid D-celebrities in the crowd, these dudes make Adonis look small. Mostly a clusterduck, heels get heat on GRADO, babyfaces take the hot tag, everyone gets their shit in and win. Not bad, but not a lot of time for the amount of people involved. I really hope Bahh gets a push someday, I love his look.

Post-match - GRADO stays in the ring, Joseph Park comes out, he shows some papers to GRADO who looks heartbroken. I think GRADO just got either deported or fired. I mean, maybe he's getting divorced.

"Reborn" Matt Sydal vs Braxton Sutter w/Allie - Reverse Squash
Interesting match up here, but nothing out of it. Sutter had control most of the match, then Sydal made a two move comeback and won the match with an SSP, what I like to call, a "Reverse Squash".

Post-match - Sutter was frustrated, made Allie sad acting like a bit of a dick.

LAX Vignette - New member is coming and Konnan sells it like only he can.

Super X Cup Announcement - JB presents the cup and the participants. DRAGO (AAA), Desmond Xavier (Impact), Idris Abraham (Impact), Taiji Ishimori (NOAH), ACH (AAW), Andrew Everett (Impact), Davey Richards (Impact), and Sammy Guevara (Cuba). DRAGO was super over with the crowd.

Matches are:
Sammy Guevara vs DRAGO
ACH vs Andrew Everett (holy shit!)
Taiji Ishimori vs Davey Richards (HOLY FUCK!)
Desmond Xavier vs Idris Abraham

Idris & Xavier Vignettes - Good stuff from both guys.

Super X Cup First Round Match
Desmond Xavier vs Idris Abraham - 7/10
Great match to start off the tournament. It started slow, but the tempo increased more and more as the match went on. Match was back and forward, with Idris working heel and Desmond Xavier displaying his high fly skills. Desmond takes the win after the Final Flash. Xavier should win the whole thing if you ask me, make a star out of him.

Gail Kim Interview - Gail has an announcement next week.

Naomichi Marufuji Vignette - Good. Interesting that he gets a vignette, I take it he did the whole tapings set.

Desmond Xavier Interview - Good babyface stuff.

Moose Interview - Moose is taking on Marufuji next week! ECIII interrupts him pissed off that Marufuji gets a title shot and not himself. Moose tells ECIII to get in line, so now we know how Moose vs Marufuji is ending.

Rebel vs Sienna w/KM - 4/10
Commentary puts over Sienna not only for unifying the titles, but for being the only woman to defeat Rosemary this year. Sienna just beat the shit out of Rebel, Rebel had a bit of offense, so I couldn't call it a squash. Rebel was competent in this match, nothing botched. Finish saw Sienna lock Rebel in Guillotine for the win. Commentary also sold Sienna's MMA training, so we may start to see her change her moves more and more.

Octagoncito is debuting next week. Not confirmed, but I heard that Demus 3:16 (FKA as Pequeño Damian 666) is also coming to Impact, so that could be next week's match. If true, Impact should really try to hook Mascarita Dorada (FKA Torito), since he has epic matches with Demus.

Impact/GFW Unified Championship Match
Lashley vs Alberto El Patron (C) - 7/10
Josh just said that Paige was here on Slammiversary, hopefully she doesn't get in trouble. This was pretty much a lite version of Slammiversary's match, just faster paced, less big spots, but a bit more story between Patron and Lashley. At one point Lashley speared Patron mid-air, but instead of going for the pin, he decided to hit a dominator and another spear, while waiting for Patron to get up, Santana appeared.

LAX came out and attacked Lashley. Konnan took the mic and revealed that Patron is part of LAX! DOUBLE TURN!? I just need Homicide to take out Dutt and Diamante to take out Sienna and my dreams will be complete! Patron seems to be knocked out and is dragged to the back by LAX. They celebrated with him like if this was Weekend at Bernie's.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Dang, huge angle right there, definitely a huge episode of Impact. We're starting new directions that could be quite promising. Super X Cut will bring us some good matches each week and Patron joining LAX is gonna be quite interesting, just the idea of Patron and Konnan working together has me salivating. Next week we get Gail Kim's announcement and more Super X Cup.


Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18515
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: GFW Impact Wrestling 7.6: Post-Slammiversary XV Show

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 7th, '17, 00:03

I agree that Xavier should win the X Cup for the exact reason you said.
I don't hate Alberto joining up with LAX, but it makes no sense to me for him to join with them right after he wins the title mostly cleanly. It would have made more sense for him to lose clean, be quickly built back up (I'd say a tournament but that's what they're doing in the X-Division, so maybe an SOTF type of big match?) and then win with LAX's help.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18515
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: GFW Impact Wrestling 7.6: Post-Slammiversary XV Show

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 7th, '17, 01:04

I just read where the Grado thing is going in the Observer, and I will say it's something I would commend as a good use of a loose end except that Grado is involved and thus it is abhorrent to me and I would not possibly be able to enjoy it.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14645
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: GFW Impact Wrestling 7.6: Post-Slammiversary XV Show

Post by cero2k » Jul 7th, '17, 09:45

Big Red Machine wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 00:03
I agree that Xavier should win the X Cup for the exact reason you said.
I don't hate Alberto joining up with LAX, but it makes no sense to me for him to join with them right after he wins the title mostly cleanly. It would have made more sense for him to lose clean, be quickly built back up (I'd say a tournament but that's what they're doing in the X-Division, so maybe an SOTF type of big match?) and then win with LAX's help.
i was thinking about this yesterday too. Konnan had already announced that they were revealing someone new even before Patron won the title, so they actually allowed him to win the title clean on the PPV. In this show they said they would reveal, and from how it played out, I think they were forced into interfering because Lashley really did have Alberto defeated at that point.

Furthermore, Konnan had been talking about a 'takeover' since day one, so maybe allowing for Patron to win it as a babyface was the plan all along so he could use his brand's pull to assure a title shot.
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18515
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: GFW Impact Wrestling 7.6: Post-Slammiversary XV Show

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 7th, '17, 10:22

cero2k wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 09:45
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 00:03
I agree that Xavier should win the X Cup for the exact reason you said.
I don't hate Alberto joining up with LAX, but it makes no sense to me for him to join with them right after he wins the title mostly cleanly. It would have made more sense for him to lose clean, be quickly built back up (I'd say a tournament but that's what they're doing in the X-Division, so maybe an SOTF type of big match?) and then win with LAX's help.
i was thinking about this yesterday too. Konnan had already announced that they were revealing someone new even before Patron won the title, so they actually allowed him to win the title clean on the PPV. In this show they said they would reveal, and from how it played out, I think they were forced into interfering because Lashley really did have Alberto defeated at that point.

Furthermore, Konnan had been talking about a 'takeover' since day one, so maybe allowing for Patron to win it as a babyface was the plan all along so he could use his brand's pull to assure a title shot.
That seems like an odd plan for a heel group.

Also, have we actually gotten to the point where people are willing to boo Alberto?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14645
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: GFW Impact Wrestling 7.6: Post-Slammiversary XV Show

Post by cero2k » Jul 7th, '17, 10:33

Big Red Machine wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 10:22

That seems like an odd plan for a heel group.

Also, have we actually gotten to the point where people are willing to boo Alberto?
heels don't always need to cheat in their plans, especially if they want to establish that Patron is the top of the pack, allow him to win by himself first and later on he can start cheating to keep the title. Also, weirdly enough, LAX gets cheered most of the time.

People have always cheered for Alberto, but since day one I felt his promos are a bit heelish sometimes, he has that cocky delivery sometimes. So i think more than boo Alberto, people are more willing to cheer Lashley since he has been amazing since last year
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18515
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: GFW Impact Wrestling 7.6: Post-Slammiversary XV Show

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 7th, '17, 10:40

cero2k wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 10:33
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 10:22

That seems like an odd plan for a heel group.

Also, have we actually gotten to the point where people are willing to boo Alberto?
heels don't always need to cheat in their plans, especially if they want to establish that Patron is the top of the pack, allow him to win by himself first and later on he can start cheating to keep the title. Also, weirdly enough, LAX gets cheered most of the time.
I know that heels don't need to cheat, but it seems odd to have him win clean, then tease a new member of the group, then reveal that it's Alberto by helping him cheat to win. What is the purpose of the secrecy about his membership in the group?

Also, if people are cheering them, why are they making them heels? Have they learned nothing from ROH's Young Bucks/Bullet Club debacle?



Oh, who am I kidding? They're TNA. Of course they haven't learned anything.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14645
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: GFW Impact Wrestling 7.6: Post-Slammiversary XV Show

Post by cero2k » Jul 7th, '17, 11:36

Big Red Machine wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 10:40

I know that heels don't need to cheat, but it seems odd to have him win clean, then tease a new member of the group, then reveal that it's Alberto by helping him cheat to win. What is the purpose of the secrecy about his membership in the group?

Also, if people are cheering them, why are they making them heels? Have they learned nothing from ROH's Young Bucks/Bullet Club debacle?



Oh, who am I kidding? They're TNA. Of course they haven't learned anything.
because the plan was to reveal the surprise at the end of the show as part of Alberto's celebration, Lashley fucked that up and so they had to come out early. it's not about secrecy, you just want your surprise to have a big impact

Your debacle doesn't apply here since Impact would definitely want to have the buzz that BC and the Bucks bring to ROH, and since Impact fans don't have shitty ROH chants, there's no problem there. Impact has a lot more control over its fans than ROH does. Also, some of the stuff they do may be heelish, but they're a team of latinos, in Florida. Latinos are gonna cheer them just because of that, they could kill Jeremy Borash and we're still gonna cheer for them, and I sure as hell don't want goody-two-shoes babyface LAX.
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18515
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: GFW Impact Wrestling 7.6: Post-Slammiversary XV Show

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 7th, '17, 12:28

cero2k wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 11:36
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 10:40

I know that heels don't need to cheat, but it seems odd to have him win clean, then tease a new member of the group, then reveal that it's Alberto by helping him cheat to win. What is the purpose of the secrecy about his membership in the group?

Also, if people are cheering them, why are they making them heels? Have they learned nothing from ROH's Young Bucks/Bullet Club debacle?



Oh, who am I kidding? They're TNA. Of course they haven't learned anything.
because the plan was to reveal the surprise at the end of the show as part of Alberto's celebration, Lashley fucked that up and so they had to come out early. it's not about secrecy, you just want your surprise to have a big impact
But what kayfabe benefit do they gain from making this announcement a surprise at the end of the show?
cero2k wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 11:36
Your debacle doesn't apply here since Impact would definitely want to have the buzz that BC and the Bucks bring to ROH, and since Impact fans don't have shitty ROH chants, there's no problem there. Impact has a lot more control over its fans than ROH does. Also, some of the stuff they do may be heelish, but they're a team of latinos, in Florida. Latinos are gonna cheer them just because of that, they could kill Jeremy Borash and we're still gonna cheer for them, and I sure as hell don't want goody-two-shoes babyface LAX.
Sure it applies. If they're going to get cheered no matter what then why would you turn them heel? It has nothing to do with dumb chants. Dumb chants just exacerbate the original problem. If you want someone to be cheered by Latinos then just let LAX be babyfaces. They don't have to be goody two-shoes, but they shouldn't be cheating (Homicide during his title chase of Danielson is a perfect example of this). What's wrong with badass babyface Alberto, the Mexican hero who also happens to appeal to people of all demographics because he's a badass who doesn't back down from anyone?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14645
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: GFW Impact Wrestling 7.6: Post-Slammiversary XV Show

Post by cero2k » Jul 7th, '17, 12:49

Big Red Machine wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 12:28
But what kayfabe benefit do they gain from making this announcement a surprise at the end of the show?
The element of surprise so Lashley doesn't bring his entourage, the element of surprise so that Prichard doesn't cockblock LAX, the element of surprise because it's more entertaining to surprise fans than just be boring and come out an announce it like nothing. This is wrestling, not press releases.
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 12:28
Sure it applies. If they're going to get cheered no matter what then why would you turn them heel? It has nothing to do with dumb chants. Dumb chants just exacerbate the original problem. If you want someone to be cheered by Latinos then just let LAX be babyfaces. They don't have to be goody two-shoes, but they shouldn't be cheating (Homicide during his title chase of Danielson is a perfect example of this). What's wrong with badass babyface Alberto, the Mexican hero who also happens to appeal to people of all demographics because he's a badass who doesn't back down from anyone?
they were never turned heel, they've just been doing their thing, some people like them, some people don't. There's nothing wrong with a badass Patron, and there's also nothing wrong with fans cheering 'bad guys', everyone in the world does. Rudos are huge in Mexico. Look at LIJ who have literally the least smarky crowd in the world.
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18515
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: GFW Impact Wrestling 7.6: Post-Slammiversary XV Show

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 7th, '17, 13:36

cero2k wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 12:49
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 12:28
But what kayfabe benefit do they gain from making this announcement a surprise at the end of the show?
The element of surprise so Lashley doesn't bring his entourage, the element of surprise so that Prichard doesn't cockblock LAX, the element of surprise because it's more entertaining to surprise fans than just be boring and come out an announce it like nothing. This is wrestling, not press releases.
If the goal is the element of surprise then why would they ever announce it at all?
And what does LAX kayfabe get out of surprising the fans?

cero2k wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 12:49
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 12:28
Sure it applies. If they're going to get cheered no matter what then why would you turn them heel? It has nothing to do with dumb chants. Dumb chants just exacerbate the original problem. If you want someone to be cheered by Latinos then just let LAX be babyfaces. They don't have to be goody two-shoes, but they shouldn't be cheating (Homicide during his title chase of Danielson is a perfect example of this). What's wrong with badass babyface Alberto, the Mexican hero who also happens to appeal to people of all demographics because he's a badass who doesn't back down from anyone?
they were never turned heel, they've just been doing their thing, some people like them, some people don't. There's nothing wrong with a badass Patron, and there's also nothing wrong with fans cheering 'bad guys', everyone in the world does. Rudos are huge in Mexico. Look at LIJ who have literally the least smarky crowd in the world.
They're heels now if they interfered in a title match to unfairly help their pal win.
Yes. At this point we are always going to have people cheering the heels, but I think that any company trying to grow should do what they can to minimize it because I think it can be confusing to new fans. A new fan is given a lot of info to process, and having guys who are supposed to be heels getting cheered makes comprehension even more difficult.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14645
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: GFW Impact Wrestling 7.6: Post-Slammiversary XV Show

Post by cero2k » Jul 7th, '17, 18:16

Big Red Machine wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 13:36
The element of surprise so Lashley doesn't bring his entourage, the element of surprise so that Prichard doesn't cockblock LAX, the element of surprise because it's more entertaining to surprise fans than just be boring and come out an announce it like nothing. This is wrestling, not press releases.
If the goal is the element of surprise then why would they ever announce it at all?
And what does LAX kayfabe get out of surprising the fans? [/quote]
dude, id you don't get why some things are better as surprises, then I don't know what to say.

Big Red Machine wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 13:36
They're heels now if they interfered in a title match to unfairly help their pal win.
Yes. At this point we are always going to have people cheering the heels, but I think that any company trying to grow should do what they can to minimize it because I think it can be confusing to new fans. A new fan is given a lot of info to process, and having guys who are supposed to be heels getting cheered makes comprehension even more difficult.
i disagree, if you have fans, don't instruct them who they need to like, because if they don't relate with those they need to like, they're not gonna come back. If they get to choose who to cheer for, they're more likely to come back
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18515
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: GFW Impact Wrestling 7.6: Post-Slammiversary XV Show

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 7th, '17, 18:42

cero2k wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 18:16
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 13:36
cero2k wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 18:16
The element of surprise so Lashley doesn't bring his entourage, the element of surprise so that Prichard doesn't cockblock LAX, the element of surprise because it's more entertaining to surprise fans than just be boring and come out an announce it like nothing. This is wrestling, not press releases.
If the goal is the element of surprise then why would they ever announce it at all?
And what does LAX kayfabe get out of surprising the fans?
dude, id you don't get why some things are better as surprises, then I don't know what to say.
Surprises are good, if they make sense. If you want to have a surprise, then book it in a way that makes sense.
cero2k wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 18:16
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 13:36
They're heels now if they interfered in a title match to unfairly help their pal win.
Yes. At this point we are always going to have people cheering the heels, but I think that any company trying to grow should do what they can to minimize it because I think it can be confusing to new fans. A new fan is given a lot of info to process, and having guys who are supposed to be heels getting cheered makes comprehension even more difficult.
i disagree, if you have fans, don't instruct them who they need to like, because if they don't relate with those they need to like, they're not gonna come back. If they get to choose who to cheer for, they're more likely to come back
But if you're going to let them choose, then you shouldn't be doing much of anything to guide them and you shouldn't have heels at all. For someone who isn't already a fan but understands that wrestling is a work, there is an inherent disconnect created when you tune in and see someone being a heel and then being cheered for it.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 3419
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54
Favorite Wrestler: Idk
Location: Ocean Springs,MS.

Re: GFW Impact Wrestling 7.6: Post-Slammiversary XV Show

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 8th, '17, 08:03

"What's the benefit of surprising the fans?"

....stop lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14645
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: GFW Impact Wrestling 7.6: Post-Slammiversary XV Show

Post by cero2k » Jul 8th, '17, 15:04

Big Red Machine wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 18:42

But if you're going to let them choose, then you shouldn't be doing much of anything to guide them and you shouldn't have heels at all. For someone who isn't already a fan but understands that wrestling is a work, there is an inherent disconnect created when you tune in and see someone being a heel and then being cheered for it.
yeah, maybe if you're a kid you need to be given equal options to choose, but not adults, adults can clearly see who is good and who is bad and side with someone. Voldermort, Darth Vader, Joker, Bane, Dracula, Jason Voorhes, Agent Smith, people have always sided with villains, they're attractive to the fans and if you can use that, there is money to be made. You shouldn't turn Voldemort a superhero just because he's popular.
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18515
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: GFW Impact Wrestling 7.6: Post-Slammiversary XV Show

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 8th, '17, 21:30

cero2k wrote:
Jul 8th, '17, 15:04
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jul 7th, '17, 18:42

But if you're going to let them choose, then you shouldn't be doing much of anything to guide them and you shouldn't have heels at all. For someone who isn't already a fan but understands that wrestling is a work, there is an inherent disconnect created when you tune in and see someone being a heel and then being cheered for it.
yeah, maybe if you're a kid you need to be given equal options to choose, but not adults, adults can clearly see who is good and who is bad and side with someone. Voldermort, Darth Vader, Joker, Bane, Dracula, Jason Voorhes, Agent Smith, people have always sided with villains, they're attractive to the fans and if you can use that, there is money to be made. You shouldn't turn Voldemort a superhero just because he's popular.
I have seen adults become very confused because someone gets cheered for doing something villainous.

As for the Voldemort thing, you're right... but if Harry Potter is popular as a hero then there is no reason to turn him heel, either.
I think that if you're going to say that babyfaces and heels are irrelevant/passe, then you shouldn't be booking them at all and just do a PWG or EVOLVE style show where maybe two or three guys at most are real heels- guys who you're pretty certain most fans won't cheer for, especially give the other options- and then book everyone else as a "takes on all comers" type of babyface who is really more a babyface because they're willing to fight and they're tough and skilled as opposed to a traditional "say your prayers and eat your vitamins, YAY AMERICA!" type of babyface.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests