Impact Wrestling 4.20 Review: Impact LIVE!

All Impact Wrestling (FKA TNA/GFW 2017) Reviews and Discussions
cero2k
Site Admin

Impact Wrestling 4.20 Review: Impact LIVE!

Post by cero2k » Apr 21st, '17, 13:25

Impact Wrestling
April 20th, 2017

Show starts hyping up Lashley vs Storm for the title. Great video, some good stuff from both Lashley and Storm, for a one week's build up, i'm actually kinda excited about this match.

Borash tells us that tonight the X-Division, KO's, and World Title are all being defended tonight. This is also the first Impact on Spike UK.

LAX w/Homicide, Konnan, and Diamante vs Joe Coleman & Jake Holmes - Squash!
LAX is super over with the fans. Holmes and Coleman are jobbers. This was 100% a squash, great showing for Ortiz and Santana.

Post-Match - Konnan cuts a promo saying that LAX is here to control and bring latino equality. Good promo. They're interrupted by Decay, DECAY...DECAAAAAAYYYYYY.....no talking, LAX jumps them in the ramp. Decay actually got the upper hand at one point, Konnan and Homicide got slightly involved, but only took like half a bump, then there was a pull apart by security.

Karen Jarrett Segment - She just announces that Impact and GFW have officially merged and hypes their new relationships. She hypes tonight's championship matches. Suddenly, of all people, Sonjay Dutt interrupts Karen, he's dressed as a 90's skater. He says he's one of the pioneers of the X-Division, and he tries to get himself in the X-Division match tonight and make it the main event, this obviously brings out...

Andrew Everett comes out to defend his title shot, he's been fighting for it for months and no one is gonna take it away from him. They're all so small, Karen looks like a mom taking care of her kids. Anyway, this now brings out The Helm's Dynasty, Shane says that when it comes to the X-Division, he's the one calling the shots (actually called Karen a loser), shuts down Dutt saying he never won a title before, so why would he get a title shot here.

Finally, Bruce Prichard comes out, shuts down Helms, and on behalf of Mantel and Jarrett, Prichard announces the X-Division match is now the main event, it's not a 3-way tho, he will add 3 more wrestlers and make it a 6-way. Poor Everett.

Crimson is back....ughhh. I mean, good video interview, but ugghhh....He's one of the Veterans of War, so I guess it'll be Gunner and Crimson, which is better than Melendez.

Impact Knockout's Championship
Rosemary (C) vs ODB - 5/10
Rosemary got a haircut, she looks nice. Borash tells us that ODB used to be a hockey goalie. I know it's a special Impact episode tonight, but I wish they would have built this match a bit more, I can imagine some decent promo exchange between them. Match was nothing special, it was short, ODB had some offense, but eventually falls to the red wedding.

Suddenly we see Swoggle around the crowd, he's saying hello to people. Decay vs LAX for the titles in a street fight is announced for next week.

McKenzie Interviews Prichard and Jarrett - The final participants for the main event are Suicide, the there two will be revealed later. Sienna confronts Karen, saying that the GFW is not here, saying that Karen is hiding her. So there you go, Christina Von Eerie or Toxxin is coming back!

Sienna/KM/KK/Van Ness vs Allie and Sutter recap - good and short.

Kongo Kong w/Laurel Van Ness, KM, and Sienna vs Chris Silvio - Squash
If we could only get a shirt for Kong. Kong wins with a top rope splash in about 2 minutes. This has to be one of the weirdest stables since the JOB Squad

James Storm Promo - Good babyface promo.

Alberto El Patron Promo - He's in the Combate Americas show from yesterday, he says that even if he's not there, he's paying attention to the world title match, he just says that he hopes Lashley wins, because he wants to personally kick Lashley's ass.

Magnus Interview - He says that Magnus is the GFW champion, he won the 4-on-4 match, and Alberto already lost his chance, he SHOULD be the no 1 contender to the world title. Lashley now has like 6 or 7 credible contenders, this is awesome.

Impact World Championship Match
"Walking Armaggedon" Lashley vs "Cowboy" James Storm - 7/10
YES! Josh came out with Lashley! Borash's face throughout the entrace was perfect. Josh joined the commentary table saying that he was called to 'save the booth', not sure what any of this will mean. Lashley got a 'Lashley is boring" chant. ECIII came down to watch the match and to tell Josh to shut up.

Match was mostly dominated by Lashley, Storm did get some offense here and there, but kept getting cut by Lashley. The action got better and balanced towards the end of the match, Storm started to counter most of Lashley's stuff, but you could also tell that Storm either was gassed out or had his air blown out because he started to move slower, he couldn't carry Lashley properly anymore and Lashley's strength was too much.

Towards the end, there was a ref bump where Storm had a clear pin after a series of superkicks. Storm in frustration, went to drink a beer, which ECIII took from him, and broke it in his face. Lashley then hit the spear on Storm for the win. This surely builds this idea that tons of guys deserve a proper shot against Lashley, and it builds the ECIII vs Impact feud.

Impact Live shows are coming on summer, more good moves for Impact.

McKenzie Interviews Mantel - The 5th man is DESMOND XAVIER!!! FUCK YEAH! MARKING OUT!

We also got footage from Chris Adonis attacking Moose at a BCW show.

McKenzie Interviews Moose - Moose challenges Adonis, but Adonis claims that Moose attacked him and broke his arm, so instead of him, he's found a new challenger for Moose, suddenly Davey Richards attacks Moose. Moose vs Richards for the Grand Championship next week.

6-way X-Division Championship Match
Sonjay Dutt vs Suicide vs Desmond Xavier vs Andrew Everett vs Low Ki! vs Trevor Lee (C) w/Shane Gregory Helms - 9/10
When was the last time the X-Division main evented an Impact show? Borash confirms that Xavier has signed with Impact! The 6th man is "Hitman" Low-Ki. Sonjay Dutt got badly injured mid match, his eye was completely shut, he still kept fighting tho. There's a lady with an "Andrew Everett is my dad" sign. Lady, i think you're older than Everett.

Match started with tons of 6-way spots, dives, Lee got hit with 5 dropkicks at the same time. Later on, everyone got taken out on the outside, and we got the Lee vs Everett match we had build up to, every now and then someone would run in and get thrown out, eventually it was only Lee that was controlling the ring until Everett made his comeback. This was about a 20+ minute match where everyone, and I mean, everyone got their chance to shine. Lee and Everett got to fight, Desmond Xavier had a super impressive debut, Dutt and Ki looked great, never missed a bit, and Suicide got his shit in.

I couldn't remember the last time that an X-Division match main evented, but I also can't remember when was the last time that a match got so much time and was so good, and don't bring up Destination X, that's a special case.

After the match Borash, Pope, and Josh are still arguing. Pope walks out on them, Borash hits Josh with a left swing to the face, dropping him on his ass.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
This show felt more like a new era than the re-brand of the last set of tapings, I had mentioned that change doesn't just happened, it slowly builds, and this felt like a good direction. The main event was great, worth checking out, and hopefully it really is the extra attention that the X-Division has been lacking. I'm also happy with the World Title scene, all those contenders can potentially bring us some great matches in the coming months, and it feels like the Grand Championship will work nicely as a placeholder inbetween the World Title and other programs.

Show was an easy watch, the squash matches were really refreshing since the roster is still somewhat limited in some sense.

Next show should be good, we got LAX vs Decay, Davey vs Moose, and it seems there are more returns and debuts on their way!