All Impact Wrestling (FKA TNA/GFW 2017) Reviews and Discussions
cero2k
Site Admin

Impact Wrestling 3/9/17 Review: The Era Of Anthem Begins

Post by cero2k » Mar 11th, '17, 15:34

Impact Wrestling
March 8th, 2017

As of tonight, TNA is no more.

Impact has a new opening signature, full of Jeff Jarrett and lines being crossed. Not sure if it's old and I had missed it.

Opening Video - Awesome, it really brought back tons of good memories and the editing was awesome. I do have to agree with everyone, that the video focuses on all the guys that are not in Impact anymore, but then again, WWE lives out of The Rock and ROH still believes they're the honorable promotion they were once. So whatevs, what i'm seeing is how all your current world champions in other companies were forged in the now former TNA.

There's also a new intro, full of owls, I liked it. Is TNA the first promotion to have an actual mascot?

Davey/Eddie Brawl and Pull Apart - Show starts with Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards brawling in the crowd, kinda heated between them, but it's one of those things that fans find it hard to react because they're in the corner of the impact zone. Also, because of how they did the camera angles, it kinda seemed like the Impact Zone was a bit bigger. Refs have new shirts too.

Borash Joins the Commentary Table - Awesome segment. We go to the announce table, Josh and Pope are there. Josh is wondering why there's a third headset in the table. Obnoxious Josh Matthews is kinda interesting. Jeremy Borash, after sooo many years joins the commentary table. Josh and Jeremy are talking trash at each other, Borash really came off as a fan favorite here and almost felt shooty. At one point Josh asks Pope "Who the hell is Gordon Solie", Pope's response was perfect.

Spud is now doing announcing. I feel this will go in an Austin Aries way that will eventually lead Spud back in the ring.

Cody and Brandi Rhodes Segment - Cody is calling out Moose by rallying out the fans, but before Moose comes out, DCC come out for their match. Throughout, this, Borash and Josh kept bickering, it felt really long. Eventually Borash mentioned that Moose was in Japan, fans on the Impact Zone don't know this, probably making this Cody segment really weird.

DCC (Bram and Kingston) vs Reno Scum - Squash?
Borash is dropping other promotions' names, Scum came out with their FSW Titles, makes them look like not just some random dudes. This was pretty much a squash, I don' think it lasted more than 5 minutes.

Post-Match - Dissension hints between the DCC.

Reno Scum Promo - Ok promo, good to hear them talk and see a bit more of them, but a bit more of their history would have helped.

Sienna Promo - I'll never get tired of this, they showed the whole Wedding saga again. McKenzie Mitchell was going to interview Maria and Sienna comes out, she explains that because of Allie, Maria has had a mental breakdown. Sienna showed a lot more character here, and since Maria is gone, I'm glad that Sienna will now breakout and be more of herself.

Impact seemed to have installed a projector that has the Impact logo rotating in the middle of the ring. This is brilliant! Imagine they start customizing rings for different entrances or matches! Imagine an Inferno Match with lava projected on the ring!

Caleb Konley vs Marshe Rocket vs DJZ vs Braxton Sutter w/Allie - 6/10
Rocket has gone full heel, he's a 6' 5" guy in the X-Division, so it really comes natural to make him a heel. During the match he kept hittingon Allie and antagonizing Sutter, this eventually led to Allie hitting a plancha on him led by Sutter hitting his twisty move for the win. Match was going good, but it was too short. Konley was definitely the best in the ring, but there was no way Sutter was losing his first match after the wedding.

Post-Match - Laurel Van Ness comes out, she looks terrible, like a ghostly myth. She hasn't left the Impact Zone. She screamed a lot, Sutter and Allie were just like 'wtf?'

They announce The Hardys vs Smoking Joe, yeah, the kangaroo. This HAS to be a rib

Sienna vs Rachel Ellering - 5/10
Josh doesn't know who Paul Ellering is. Nothing against her, but Rachel looks like every generic SHIMMER wrestler with that attire, but she's big and strong, so at lot of ptential if she can develop a character here.

Bruce Prichard Segment - He self-promoted and said that Impact wasn't the same as it used to. He also confirmed that TNA is dead. He basically said that the only way to go forward is to have a wrestler to build around, and so he introduced...

Lashley Promo - Among the accolades that Lashley listed, one was 'I Successfully defended our President of the United States", not a lot of boos nor cheers on that one. Prichard goes on the 'No one back there can defeat you' way, so that brings out....

Alberto El Patron!! - Awesome, Alberto is here, but that 'surprise' was terribly edited. Shut Up Perro, you haven't beat me....out comes...

"Trouble Trouble Trouble" ECIII - Usual, you don't get to just come in and get a title shot, he wants a title shot. Lashley shuts him up, ignores him, and focuses on Alberto. Prichard kinda books Lashley vs Alberto for tonight. ECIII was left out of it all, completely ignored, and you know that has to lead to something.

Eddie Edwards Promo - Mitchell interviews Eddie, he is saying that he didn't expect this and that Davey is his brother. Angelina Love interrupts and just says the same thing that Eddie ignored Davey, then slapped him. Eddie says that Love hits harder than Davey.

Cody Rhodes Still calling ot Moose, but at least he changed his suit. Borash finally tells the crowd that Moose is in Japan. Cody is hijacking the ring until Moose comes out. Josh tried to too sweet Cody and was ignored.

Dutch Mantell Promo - This was the first time in Impact TV. There's fake crowd reactions during this promo, always the same audio file. His promo was all about how Impact used to be awesome, but slowly, all these awesome wrestlers started to leave because there was a lack of leadership, vision, and respect, but it wasn't until the fans left that things had to change, that's when Mantell was called up. It was the newly hired manager speech at any job. He is using the We The People phrase to get the fans behind the idea that Impact getting better is all for them.

House Hardys vs Smoking Joe - This was definitely recorded after the Expedition of Gold started, but it still feels like a rib showing it off. After the whole kangaroo thing, Matt and Nero are going to teleport to their next fight, but WHAAAT.... Decay has interrupted mid-teleportation, Decay are teleported to the Impact Zone, the titles are there, but the Hardyz have been DELETED! I wish they would explain how what exactly happened, but I can understand why they did this and that they had to work with what they had. Weird segment.

July 2nd is the 15th Anniversary show, Slammiversary XV on PPV.

Impact Wrestling World Championship
Lashley (C) vs Alberto El Patron - 7/10
Title has officially changed names. They're doing more of a UFC style camera angles for intros, they look great. They're trying to get the "Walking Armageddon" nickname going for Lashley. Match started out with Lashley dominating, this lasted to a while, with Patron having little bits of offense here and there. There was eventually a ref bump that didn't lead to a clear tap out or anything because a second ref came out really quick. Then there was a second ref bump, that did lead to Alberto using the title to take out Lashley and win. Match was building up really nice up until the second ref bump, towards the end it really felt like a race to hit their finisher. ECIII was out watching the match from the ramp, but never interfered, no music interruptions, nothing.

Post-Match - There is a lot of commotion between the agents, refs, Lashley saying Alberto cheated, Borash and Josh fighting, and Alberto celebrating. Felt really chaotic.

OVERALL THOUGHTS:
On one side, it really felt like any other Impact show, same show structure, same voices, stuff like that; but on the other hand, you could tell that there are things moving forward and away from the Gaburick/Dixie booking. The show itself was good, nothing that really made me sigh or anything, I'm not pissed, nor did I ever shout "What the fuck are you talking about" like I do with other shows, but to make a proper judgement on the new regime, I'll need to watch more, it be idiotic to judge the whole new Impact on just one show. I can totally see how people will hate the announcing, the Borash v Josh feud is really being focused on and the next few shows will have a lot of it, but I do have to say that some of the stuff there was interesting and well done.

Big Red Machine

Re: Impact Wrestling 3/9/17 Review: The Era Of Anthem Begins

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 12th, '17, 20:09

cero2k wrote:Impact Wrestling
March 8th, 2017

As of tonight, TNA is no more.

Impact has a new opening signature, full of Jeff Jarrett and lines being crossed. Not sure if it's old and I had missed it.

Opening Video - Awesome, it really brought back tons of good memories and the editing was awesome. I do have to agree with everyone, that the video focuses on all the guys that are not in Impact anymore, but then again, WWE lives out of The Rock and ROH still believes they're the honorable promotion they were once. So whatevs, what i'm seeing is how all your current world champions in other companies were forged in the now former TNA.

There's also a new intro, full of owls, I liked it. Is TNA the first promotion to have an actual mascot?
If they are then it's for Stomper, not the owl. The Honor Cow predate the Anthem Owl by two and a half years.

Borash Joins the Commentary Table - Awesome segment. We go to the announce table, Josh and Pope are there. Josh is wondering why there's a third headset in the table. Obnoxious Josh Matthews is kinda interesting. Jeremy Borash, after sooo many years joins the commentary table. Josh and Jeremy are talking trash at each other, Borash really came off as a fan favorite here and almost felt shooty. At one point Josh asks Pope "Who the hell is Gordon Solie", Pope's response was perfect.
Josh is right to ask. If Borash is supposed to be doing commentary then why wasn't he there at the start of the show. That's really unprofessional of him.

Spud is now doing announcing. I feel this will go in an Austin Aries way that will eventually lead Spud back in the ring.

Cody and Brandi Rhodes Segment - Cody is calling out Moose by rallying out the fans, but before Moose comes out, DCC come out for their match. Throughout, this, Borash and Josh kept bickering, it felt really long. Eventually Borash mentioned that Moose was in Japan, fans on the Impact Zone don't know this, probably making this Cody segment really weird.

DCC (Bram and Kingston) vs Reno Scum - Squash?
Borash is dropping other promotions' names, Scum came out with their FSW Titles, makes them look like not just some random dudes. This was pretty much a squash, I don' think it lasted more than 5 minutes.
I'm sure FSW will be thrilled

Sienna Promo - I'll never get tired of this, they showed the whole Wedding saga again. McKenzie Mitchell was going to interview Maria and Sienna comes out, she explains that because of Allie, Maria has had a mental breakdown.
This is an excellent explanation

Impact seemed to have installed a projector that has the Impact logo rotating in the middle of the ring. This is brilliant! Imagine they start customizing rings for different entrances or matches! Imagine an Inferno Match with lava projected on the ring!
I think that would be really horrifically lame. Remember when WWE did this for Kane's promos and everyone shat on it because it was dumb? This would be the same thing

They announce The Hardys vs Smoking Joe, yeah, the kangaroo. This HAS to be a rib
Good to see they're not wasting TV time on petty crap.

Sienna vs Rachel Ellering - 5/10
Josh doesn't know who Paul Ellering is.
See... I just plain don't buy that this is possible. Gordon is a large stretch but maybe plausible, but Ellering? For a guy who was in the WWE? Come on.

"Trouble Trouble Trouble" ECIII - Usual, you don't get to just come in and get a title shot, he wants a title shot. Lashley shuts him up, ignores him, and focuses on Alberto. Prichard kinda books Lashley vs Alberto for tonight. ECIII was left out of it all, completely ignored, and you know that has to lead to something.
Am I the only one who finds Ethan horribly annoying? I didn't watch any of this, but I can just picture how this goes in my head because I've seen him do it a million times already and he comes off as the most entitled douchebag in history... and he's supposed to be a babyface

Eddie Edwards Promo - Mitchell interviews Eddie, he is saying that he didn't expect this and that Davey is his brother. Angelina Love interrupts and just says the same thing that Eddie ignored Davey, then slapped him. Eddie says that Love hits harder than Davey.

Cody Rhodes Still calling ot Moose, but at least he changed his suit. Borash finally tells the crowd that Moose is in Japan. Cody is hijacking the ring until Moose comes out. Josh tried to too sweet Cody and was ignored.

Dutch Mantell Promo - This was the first time in Impact TV. There's fake crowd reactions during this promo, always the same audio file. His promo was all about how Impact used to be awesome, but slowly, all these awesome wrestlers started to leave because there was a lack of leadership, vision, and respect, but it wasn't until the fans left that things had to change, that's when Mantell was called up. It was the newly hired manager speech at any job. He is using the We The People phrase to get the fans behind the idea that Impact getting better is all for them.
Again... good to see we're not wasting time with petty crap

House Hardys vs Smoking Joe - This was definitely recorded after the Expedition of Gold started, but it still feels like a rib showing it off. After the whole kangaroo thing, Matt and Nero are going to teleport to their next fight, but WHAAAT.... Decay has interrupted mid-teleportation, Decay are teleported to the Impact Zone, the titles are there, but the Hardyz have been DELETED! I wish they would explain how what exactly happened, but I can understand why they did this and that they had to work with what they had. Weird segment.
IMO there was a MUCH better way to do this, which was simply to explain that the Hardys actually lost the TNA World Tag Team Titles in an Expedition of Gold challenge (maybe to Reno Scum) and then have whichever team you want to build the division around beat Reno Scum tonight and win the titles and run with them. At least a phantom title change keeps the kayfabe integrity of the belts. What kind of stupid bullsh*t is "we used our magic to interrupt your magic so now we are the champions?"

Title has officially changed names. They're doing more of a UFC style camera angles for intros, they look great. They're trying to get the "Walking Armageddon" nickname going for Lashley. Match started out with Lashley dominating, this lasted to a while, with Patron having little bits of offense here and there. There was eventually a ref bump that didn't lead to a clear tap out or anything because a second ref came out really quick. Then there was a second ref bump, that did lead to Alberto using the title to take out Lashley and win. Match was building up really nice up until the second ref bump, towards the end it really felt like a race to hit their finisher. ECIII was out watching the match from the ramp, but never interfered, no music interruptions, nothing.

Walking Armageddon is really stupid. "The Destroyer" Lashley fit him SOOOO well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and that was just about the only thing in TNA that wasn't broken.

Post-Match - There is a lot of commotion between the agents, refs, Lashley saying Alberto cheated, Borash and Josh fighting, and Alberto celebrating. Felt really chaotic.
So "The New Era" begins with a main vent just like every single one in the old era. How stupid are they?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 12th, '17, 22:36

Big Red Machine wrote:
Am I the only one who finds Ethan horribly annoying? I didn't watch any of this, but I can just picture how this goes in my head because I've seen him do it a million times already and he comes off as the most entitled douchebag in history... and he's supposed to be a babyface
In this particular case, i'll agree with you, if the spotlight is on Alberto, don't bring ECIII out at all, he was completely irrelevant here

the first one as the pre-commercial stuff, so it was ok. The second one, from what I understand, Mantell will become a regular character, so it makes sense to intro, if he's not, I also kinda see worth doing to show the fans that Mantell is now in charge of Impact for those that didn't know

IMO there was a MUCH better way to do this, which was simply to explain that the Hardys actually lost the TNA World Tag Team Titles in an Expedition of Gold challenge (maybe to Reno Scum) and then have whichever team you want to build the division around beat Reno Scum tonight and win the titles and run with them. At least a phantom title change keeps the kayfabe integrity of the belts. What kind of stupid bullsh*t is "we used our magic to interrupt your magic so now we are the champions?"
i like the overall idea of the teleportation going wrong, especially because you don't actually crown a team without a match, but the execution here was bad, liked i mention, they worked with what they had

Walking Armageddon is really stupid. "The Destroyer" Lashley fit him SOOOO well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and that was just about the only thing in TNA that wasn't broken.
my immediate assumption is that they never registered the nickname and now that WWE is calling Triple H The Destroyer (or is it Joe?), then WWE probably did file for the copyright

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 12th, '17, 23:22

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
In this particular case, i'll agree with you, if the spotlight is on Alberto, don't bring ECIII out at all, he was completely irrelevant here

the first one as the pre-commercial stuff, so it was ok. The second one, from what I understand, Mantell will become a regular character, so it makes sense to intro, if he's not, I also kinda see worth doing to show the fans that Mantell is now in charge of Impact for those that didn't know
I get that. What I'm saying is don't do it by having him waste time burying the old management. Have it announced that he is in charge now and have him get right down to f*cking business.

i like the overall idea of the teleportation going wrong, especially because you don't actually crown a team without a match, but the execution here was bad, liked i mention, they worked with what they had
They crowned new champions without having a match here, either. At least my way there was a kayfabe match.

my immediate assumption is that they never registered the nickname and now that WWE is calling Triple H The Destroyer (or is it Joe?), then WWE probably did file for the copyright
Well then that's them paying for their own foolishness. Either way, "Walking Armageddon" is still terrible. Just have Lashley cut a promo saying "I've beat so many people that I'm more than a destroyer: I'm an obliterator" and portray it as a step up for Lashley (or, rather, for his arrogance). Use the tools you have to do what you can. This might get Lashley a little extra heat, plus it sounds similar to the old nickname (and, because TNA clearly enjoy being petty, it buries the name that Hunter stole for himself). Plus, "Walking Armageddon is SOOOOOOO F*CKING STUPID.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 13th, '17, 08:28

Big Red Machine wrote:House Hardys vs Smoking Joe - This was definitely recorded after the Expedition of Gold started, but it still feels like a rib showing it off. After the whole kangaroo thing, Matt and Nero are going to teleport to their next fight, but WHAAAT.... Decay has interrupted mid-teleportation, Decay are teleported to the Impact Zone, the titles are there, but the Hardyz have been DELETED! I wish they would explain how what exactly happened, but I can understand why they did this and that they had to work with what they had. Weird segment.
They crowned new champions without having a match here, either. At least my way there was a kayfabe match.
They didn't really say that Decay are the champs and wiki doesn't have them as champs, so i imagine that they'll vacate the titles someway, i'm not entirely sure how they're gonna do it

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 13th, '17, 08:46

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:House Hardys vs Smoking Joe - This was definitely recorded after the Expedition of Gold started, but it still feels like a rib showing it off. After the whole kangaroo thing, Matt and Nero are going to teleport to their next fight, but WHAAAT.... Decay has interrupted mid-teleportation, Decay are teleported to the Impact Zone, the titles are there, but the Hardyz have been DELETED! I wish they would explain how what exactly happened, but I can understand why they did this and that they had to work with what they had. Weird segment.
They didn't really say that Decay are the champs and wiki doesn't have them as champs, so i imagine that they'll vacate the titles someway, i'm not entirely sure how they're gonna do it
That's something they should have dealt with on the first show.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 13th, '17, 08:57

Big Red Machine wrote:That's something they should have dealt with on the first show.
storyline wise, it's not that bad to let it play out an extra week, surely it didn't happen inside the ring and Impact played it out that the Hardys were still there until that happened, if they don't address this next show, then yeah, it's bad

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 13th, '17, 09:03

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:That's something they should have dealt with on the first show.
storyline wise, it's not that bad to let it play out an extra week, surely it didn't happen inside the ring and Impact played it out that the Hardys were still there until that happened, if they don't address this next show, then yeah, it's bad

The problem with waiting a week with it, IMO, is that it forces the storyline to be "will the Hardys come back for their titles?" or "what is the status of the Hardys?" or something like that, whereas dealing with it right away would allow you to build a storyline around the new champs or around a tournament for the belts or whatever.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 13th, '17, 09:20

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:

The problem with waiting a week with it, IMO, is that it forces the storyline to be "will the Hardys come back for their titles?" or "what is the status of the Hardys?" or something like that, whereas dealing with it right away would allow you to build a storyline around the new champs or around a tournament for the belts or whatever.

ok, i can agree with that, that's why i had mentioned in the review that i wish they had properly explained what happened during that teleportation, to make it obvious that the Hardys were not coming back

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 13th, '17, 14:08

Impact just posted this on their website:

BREAKING NEWS: Current World Champion, Alberto El Patron, just stepped into a closed door meeting with Bruce Prichard, Dutch Mantel and other Impact Wrestling board members. Sources are speculating that the sit-down will be to discuss the controversial ending to IMPACT Wrestling last week, that led to El Patron’s World Title win. More to come.

phpBB [video]

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 14th, '17, 12:36

Lance's thoughts on the show made me absolutely afraid to watch because of the announcing. Lance didn't outright say this, but it seems like TNA is purposely trying to do something that will, in essence, create the heel Michael Cole situation of constant bickering from the announcers.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 14th, '17, 13:24

Big Red Machine wrote:Lance's thoughts on the show made me absolutely afraid to watch because of the announcing. Lance didn't outright say this, but it seems like TNA is purposely trying to do something that will, in essence, create the heel Michael Cole situation of constant bickering from the announcers.

it is exactly that, Josh and Borash fought throughout the whole show. Some parts were good, but it did get tiresome at times. I am liking obnoxious Josh and always wanted Borash, so i'm definitely gonna strength through the next 4 weeks expecting that conclusion.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 14th, '17, 20:08

About the whole crazy obnoxious announcing thing:

Hidden text.
Don't​ worry, Matthews leaves in a "My team Vs yours, and if I lose, I'm out of here" style elimination match against Borash." That's happening very soon-within weeks, if not this week.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 14th, '17, 21:00

KILLdozer wrote:About the whole crazy obnoxious announcing thing:

Hidden text.
Don't​ worry, Matthews leaves in a "My team Vs yours, and if I lose, I'm out of here" style elimination match against Borash." That's happening very soon-within weeks, if not this week.

it's like in 4 weeks, that's why i'm willing to endure, Cole vs Lawler was 6 months, this is only 4 weeks

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 16th, '17, 09:39

It all makes me genuinely miss the apparently long forgotten "standard fact , standard heel " announce team, where the heel didn't constantly over do it.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 16th, '17, 10:36

KILLdozer wrote:It all makes me genuinely miss the apparently long forgotten "standard fact , standard heel " announce team, where the heel didn't constantly over do it.

through the years i've realized, it's harder to do than it seems. I can't remember a good heel commentator existing inbetween Graves and Lawler, maaaaaybe Prazak, but he was also quite annoying.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 16th, '17, 10:40

cero2k wrote:
KILLdozer wrote:It all makes me genuinely miss the apparently long forgotten "standard fact , standard heel " announce team, where the heel didn't constantly over do it.

through the years i've realized, it's harder to do than it seems. I can't remember a good heel commentator existing inbetween Graves and Lawler, maaaaaybe Prazak, but he was also quite annoying.

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking-Graves is the current, Lawler is the former.