Impact Wrestling 2/9/17 Review: Lashley vs Edwards - The Final Chapter

All Impact Wrestling (FKA TNA/GFW 2017) Reviews and Discussions
cero2k
Site Admin

Impact Wrestling 2/9/17 Review: Lashley vs Edwards - The Final Chapter

Post by cero2k » Feb 11th, '17, 19:57

Impact Wrestling
February 9, 2017

We got a recap from last week's challenges, they really made DCC look strong. Also, tonight we're getting Lashley vs Edwards one final time.

DCC Promo - Great promo by Storm, saying that they're here to kick ass pretty much. I am also sold 100% on the entrance of these guys, i'm liking them more and more. Eli Drake and Tyrus comes out. Tyrus challenges to a 3-on-2 match, Tyrus is talking shit to each of them until he gets to Kingston and asks him if he (Tyrus) owes Kingston some child support money, so now it is canon to me that Tyrus is Kingston's father. Kingston attacks Tyrus and so....

3-on-2 Handicap Match
DCC vs Tyrus and Eli Drake - 5/10
I'm thinking about it and this is a match between my top 1 and 2 favorite acts from Impact. It's definitely a heel vs heel match, but just try to make sense of this. Eli and Tyrus are outnumbered, but Bram is the babyface in peril, so are they both babyface teams? Tyrus got tagged in and started kicking ass, Eli Drake walked out on him for some reason and DCC takes the win after a Last Call. Got dammit, please don't break them up! Match was ok.

Brandi Interview - She is talking to someone who we can't see, but ends the promo towards the camera.

Braxton/Allie/Maria Segment - Awesome, Braxton and Allie are so rom-com together, kinda cute actually. Maria as wicked witch of the west was better. Maria is telling Braxton that he must propose to Laurel. Also, this was said:

Allie: When you ask for coffee, are you asking for coffee-coffee or "whisky-coffee"? (yes, in air-quotes) I love Allie

Brandi Rhodes Promo - She is the type of gal that is straight forward when she has a problem, she looks at the camera and calls out Rosemary to either put up or shut up. Out comes Decay, DECAY, DECAAAAAYYYY..... Rosemary tells Brandi that everything in the Impact Zone decays, Steve and Abyss threaten to attack Brandi, this distraction allows Rosemary to lock in a guillotine. If there was only a prince valiant that would save Brandi!, out he comes!! and it's....MOOSE!? Moose who has nothing to do with Decay, saving a married lady who's husband is nowhere to be seen apparently.

Aron Rex and Man-servant Spud Promo -Gorgeous George Rex cuts a promo on Robbie, just telling him that he'll kick his ass in the ring tonight, with different words obviously.

Moose/Brandi Promo - If anyone messes with Brandi, they mess with me (Moose). Seriously, what the fuck? It's just weird, they say they're friends, but it's weird. The whole Brandi package is awesome because we know she's with Cody (the one we care about), but now she is involved in mixed tag matches with another dude. Something I didn't mention before, Brandi is awesome cutting promos.

Aron Rex w/Man-servant Spud vs Robbie E - 5/10
A new contender on best personal ring introductions. Match wasn't anything special wrestling wise, but just watching Rex's mannerisms is great, I have always loved the really delicate gimmick that gets super ruthless inside the ring. The gimmick is interesting, but i'm glad for Rex, he is an ok wrestler, but a Rexcellent character actor.

House Hardy Promo - Queen Rebecca is worried about the expedition of gold, Broken Matt Hardy assures them to believe in the deities.

Eddie Edwards is seen backstage with wife, Davey, and Angelina Love.

Braxton/Bennett Segment - I can't remember the last time I saw either wrestler, but god, i love to see them doing these segments. Braxton is worried about this whole thing, Bennett tells him to chill, everything will be ok, just do the 'right thing'. Braxton will likely take this the other way that Bennett was hoping.

House Hardy Segment - Broken Matt Hardy has had a clear premonition about the expedition of gold. Matt introduces the new and improved Vanguard-1, who was improved by the Seven Deities, V-1 now has the capability to teleport House Hardy to their quest to conquer all gold in space and time. Hardy hints going to the Honorable Ring or MeekMahan's promotion.

Hardy gets a premonition that their first travel is here, they put their hands on V-1 and disappear! AND NOW WE'RE IN TIJUANA!! I'm marking out. Props to the crowd on selling the magic.

Impact Grand Championship
Mahabali Shera vs Drew Galloway (C) - 6.5/10
Hey, I haven't seen Shera in a long time, let's see if he has gotten any better. No he hasn't, for a second when the match started, I felt he had, but then, yeah, not. Round 1 was awarded to Shera (he did deserve it), but he hit his Sky High after the time expired, that should be a DQ in my opinion. Galloway won the second round via pin, no shenanigans. Shera ended the match with a new hand tattoo in the chest thanks to Galloway.

Laurel/Braxton Segment - Awesome!! Laurel is perfect at her role. Braxton is about to break up with her, but he drops his water bottle, as he kneels to pick it up, Laurel takes it as a marrige proposal and says YES! "Daddy will love you, you're not rich, but we'll do something about it".

Helm's Dynasty Segment - Helms introduces the new X-Division champion, the "Technical Savage" Trevor Lee. Lee cuts a nice promo about how he is the crown jewel of the X-Division and the Helm's Dynasty. Then Helms cuts a promo on Everett, he tells him he is the weak link of the team, he has failed at all the opportunities Helms has given him. Everett takes the mic and cuts a great promo saying that Andrew and Trevor have travel all around the country and they always win gold, he tries to spin Helm's promo and say that maybe Shane is the weak link trying to live out of them. Everett and Helms are about to fight but Lee jumps Andrew. I loved this, you could say it was a swerve for the sake of a swerve, but it wasn't, it was Andrew thinking that his friendship with Lee was strong and Lee had his back against Helms, but he was betrayed. This felt real, like this is something that happens in the workplace more often than not. Insta-babyface.

Expedition of Gold - We see House Hardy walk around the city, crowds and crowds of people have gathered to see them. House Hardy is asking to be taken to their town's champions, which obviously means, The CRASH Wrestling's Super Crazy and Psychosis!! We'll get the challenge next week! Can't wait!

TNA World Championship Match
Eddie Edwards vs Lashley (C) - 8/10
Nevaeh and Love are at ringside. Throughout the show they made a big deal about this match, it really does feel like the final chapter between these two. During his entrance, Lashley is going for the ring post, he notices that Eddie is taunting him, Lashley tells the ref to take care of Eddie and Lashley proceeds to climb the ropes and pose. It's the little things. Lashley also keeps hitting on Eddie's wife, that's why Krystal is never shown on Impact. They're both working each other's torso, Lashley working the lower abdomen, Eddie the upper. Match was being good until the end, which makes it the worst of the other 3 big matches they had, but those were awesome, so it's not a shot at this one.

Towards the end, Eddie hits the BKP and as he is about to win, Davey pulls the ref. Eddie is confused and asks him what's up? and Davey (I think) says that it's always about him and no one cares about Davey, or something along those lines. Love and Nevaeh are surprised, but suddenly Love turns to Nevaeh and knocks her out. Davey hits Eddie with the title, Lashley spear and pin.

Post-Match - Love drags Nevaeh to the ring and makes her watch how Davey chokes out Eddie with his belt, then Davey and Love make out over Eddie's dead body, which was weird, seeing Davey Richards of all people making out in the ring. I like this, I love heel Davey Richards, and I love seeing Davey wrestle Eddie, so while House Hardy is collecting gold, this is definitely the best thing to do with these two.

OVERALL THOUGHTS:
Mostly a storyline show, we had 4 matches, but all were for the most part to move a story forward, or in the case of the main event, to close out a chapter and open a new one. I feel we had a lot of big developments this show between the Expedition of Gold, the Wolves imploding, Everett turning, and most importantly Braxton and Laurel getting married. The only thing that i'm not all happy about is that i'm not sure where DCC is going now that they finally got their vendetta on Decay for what they did to Bram, and I hope they don't feud with Tyrus, which I hope doesn't break up with Drake. Looking forward to next show.

Big Red Machine

Re: Impact Wrestling 2/9/17 Review: Lashley vs Edwards - The Final Chapter

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 11th, '17, 20:31

A bullsh*t finish. Some "final chapter" that was. And that is why I stopped watching TNA.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 11th, '17, 20:50

Big Red Machine wrote:A bullsh*t finish. Some "final chapter" that was. And that is why I stopped watching TNA.

matchwise it really hurt the match, but i personally can't see anything else worthy after an ironman match, to me that was the end of the feud and this was just like a glorified 'post-match'. I know that if Eddie is not challenging him anymore, there is no need to protect him, but we know Lashley won the title fair and square, and we know that Eddie could still win the title under the right circumstances, and now if Davey can get some pins on Eddie, we can believe that maybe just maybe Davey could be champ if he takes on Lashley too.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 11th, '17, 21:29

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:A bullsh*t finish. Some "final chapter" that was. And that is why I stopped watching TNA.

matchwise it really hurt the match, but i personally can't see anything else worthy after an ironman match, to me that was the end of the feud and this was just like a glorified 'post-match'. I know that if Eddie is not challenging him anymore, there is no need to protect him, but we know Lashley won the title fair and square, and we know that Eddie could still win the title under the right circumstances, and now if Davey can get some pins on Eddie, we can believe that maybe just maybe Davey could be champ if he takes on Lashley too.

How can it be the end of the feud if Eddie was about to win when someone pulled the referee out of the ring? I mean... theoretically it could be the end of Eddie vs. Lashley, but how is Eddie Edwards not owed another title shot after this? If they wanted to get to an Eddie vs. Davey feud there were a million ways they could have done it that didn't involve YET ANOTHER f*ck finish in a main event world title match. But TNA will NEVER see that. All they know how to do is f*ck finishes. And Dutch Mantell and Jeff Jarrett coming in doesn't give me too much faith, either, because the Memphis style was also full of that (and in terms of wrestling style and booking, Puerto Rico was basically just a Spanish-speaking Memphis that also let you get cheap heat by being racist against Puerto Ricans).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 11th, '17, 22:32

Big Red Machine wrote:How can it be the end of the feud if Eddie was about to win when someone pulled the referee out of the ring? I mean... theoretically it could be the end of Eddie vs. Lashley, but how is Eddie Edwards not owed another title shot after this? If they wanted to get to an Eddie vs. Davey feud there were a million ways they could have done it that didn't involve YET ANOTHER f*ck finish in a main event world title match. But TNA will NEVER see that. All they know how to do is f*ck finishes. And Dutch Mantell and Jeff Jarrett coming in doesn't give me too much faith, either, because the Memphis style was also full of that (and in terms of wrestling style and booking, Puerto Rico was basically just a Spanish-speaking Memphis that also let you get cheap heat by being racist against Puerto Ricans).

Because even though Eddie deserves another title shot (tho not necessarily because Eddie agreed that this was his last shot and bragging about how he got screwed would make him seem like a crybaby), he now has this other immediate problem that he needs to take care of before he can focus again on the title. Eddie stays strong because he didn't lose clean and we're not getting a feud between a loser and his ex-friend. Lashley stays strong and true, he didn't seek out help, he was just lucky that Davey doesn't like Eddie anymore.

This is not a memphis thing or a TNA thing, this is just how you transition losing babyfaces out of title shots without making them look like losers, otherwise you're gonna start getting Sasha vs Charlotte, the feud that never ends. I know there are other ways to transition the stories, but that doesn't make this inherently bad

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 12th, '17, 00:29

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:How can it be the end of the feud if Eddie was about to win when someone pulled the referee out of the ring? I mean... theoretically it could be the end of Eddie vs. Lashley, but how is Eddie Edwards not owed another title shot after this? If they wanted to get to an Eddie vs. Davey feud there were a million ways they could have done it that didn't involve YET ANOTHER f*ck finish in a main event world title match. But TNA will NEVER see that. All they know how to do is f*ck finishes. And Dutch Mantell and Jeff Jarrett coming in doesn't give me too much faith, either, because the Memphis style was also full of that (and in terms of wrestling style and booking, Puerto Rico was basically just a Spanish-speaking Memphis that also let you get cheap heat by being racist against Puerto Ricans).

Because even though Eddie deserves another title shot (tho not necessarily because Eddie agreed that this was his last shot and bragging about how he got screwed would make him seem like a crybaby), he now has this other immediate problem that he needs to take care of before he can focus again on the title. Eddie stays strong because he didn't lose clean and we're not getting a feud between a loser and his ex-friend. Lashley stays strong and true, he didn't seek out help, he was just lucky that Davey doesn't like Eddie anymore.

This is not a memphis thing or a TNA thing, this is just how you transition losing babyfaces out of title shots without making them look like losers, otherwise you're gonna start getting Sasha vs Charlotte, the feud that never ends. I know there are other ways to transition the stories, but that doesn't make this inherently bad

It's not an issues of "transitions." The issues is that the story hasn't ended yet. For the story to end you need to have a clear winner and a clear loser. Eddie doesn't look weak if loses a very competitive 25 minute match to the freakin' world champion, especially if it's Lashley. How weak did Danielson look when he didn't win the belt from Morishima? Or Elgin when he lost to Steen? Or Punk when he finally lost to Joe? Did losing Graver Consequences to Matanza make Mil Muertes look weak? Of course not! Tyler Black got over as a singles guy by losing to Dragon and Nigel. Roddy also got elevated to the main event by losing to Dragon. A guy only begins to look weak when you make it look like you're ready to elevate him multiple times but never pull the trigger and then cycle him back down to the midcard over and over again (see: Drake, Eli and Barrett, Wade).

This is inherently bad. It hurts Lashley by making him look like he's not the rightful champion (the only reason he still has the belt is that Davey decided he wanted to turn on Eddie) and thus it hurts the guy who beats Lashley etc. etc. And perhaps more importantly it hurts the product because it's yet another BS finish in a world title match.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation