Impact Wrestling 2/2/17 Review: Open Fight Night!

All Impact Wrestling (FKA TNA/GFW 2017) Reviews and Discussions
cero2k
Site Admin

Impact Wrestling 2/2/17 Review: Open Fight Night!

Post by cero2k » Feb 3rd, '17, 15:16

Impact Wrestling
February 2nd, 2017

It's Open Fight Night Tonight!

We get recaps of who won briefcases two weeks ago and the recap of the Edwards vs Lashley Ironman match. It was a really long recap.

House Hardy Open Challenge - Matt has been having more premonitions about winning tag team gold from all over space and time. The dietes have given them a teletransportation mechanism, the same Sabu uses. He calls out The Bucks of Youth, The Days of New, The Family of Wyatts. If they don't come to them, they'll go to them.

Jeff Hardy says that tonight, he must focus on himself and calls out Lashley for a World Title match. This brings out Lashley. Lashley cuts pretty much the same promo he cut on Eddie, just saying that Matt will likely interfere. Hardy tells Matt to go to the back. No excuses!

TNA World Title Match
Lashley (C) vs Brother Nero - 7/10
Kinda weird that this match is kicking off the show, I take it there are big things coming for the rest of the show, I do believe that House Hardy will have another match later tonight. Lashley dominated most of the match, Jeff did have small flurries of offense here and there, bu nothing big. Lashley looked great while Nero did kinda looked blown towards the end. Lashley kicked out of everything Brother Nero had. Complete dominance if you ask me.

Post-Match - Eddie Edwards without his backwards cap comes out. Eddie congratulates Lashley on winning AND retaining. Lashley is like 'whatevs' and Eddie wants a rematch. Lashley says that Eddie made him jump through hoops for that last title shot, so Lashley is going the same with Eddie, he'll give him the shot, but if he loses, he can't challenge again. Eddie takes the shot. During this promo Eddie kept calling him Triple B, when Lashley finally asked, it meants "Bitch Boy Bobby". I guess we're not done yet.

Tyrus/Drake pre-commercial promo - They're going to shock the world and Tyrus apparently killed a cameraman.

Brandi/Rosemary Backstage Segment - Rosemary tells Brandi to follow them to the darkness, Brandi is not interested in decaying. Rosemary then threatens her. Rosemary was great, looked nice, she had nice facepaint.

Aron Rex and Manservent Spud Segment - Oh, it was just them arriving to the Impact Zone.

Sienna w/Maria Kanellis-Bennet vs Brooke Tessmacher - 4/10
She is only introduced as Brooke, but TNA has had so many Brookes that I feel the need to specify the last name. Sienna towers over Brooke, like a lot. So Brooke is apparently going after Maria, Brooke also apparently has been keeping up with TNA in her absence according to Rayne. Madison also reminded us that Brooke had a child no more than 5 months ago, so now i'm really impressed by Brooke and how good she looks. Match was kinda bad, usual botchiness, Brooke locked in the WORST Last Chancery ever. Sienna won with the assist of Maria.

Post-Match - Maria was shoeless and she still looked glamorous.

DCC pre-commercial Promo - They're doing....stuff

Aron Rex and Manservent Spud Segment - What I learned: Rex hates violence, he looks Rexcellent, and the Cheeks take care of themselves.

DCC Open Challenge - They called out Decay for a Fall Count Anywhere Match. Josh confirmed they can't challenge Hardys because Nero already had a match.

Falls Count Anywhere
DCC vs Decay w/Rosemary - 7/10
Match is technically Storm/Bram vs Decay, but Rosemary and Kingston are getting involved enough that I'd say it's a 3-on-3. Match was a brawl all over the place, they went to the bleachers pretty fast, barbwire board and thumbtacks, stuff like that. I was finding it hard to choose who to cheer for, I like both teams a lot, and it's so hard now a days to see a good heel vs heel feud. Match was way to short for how violent it got, and the falls count anywhere stipulation wasn't really used since they pinned Steve next to the ring. I just wish it had been longer.

Braxton/Maria and Bennett - Maria tells Sutter that he WILL propose to Laurel and Braxton says that wasn't part of the bargain. All three were awesome

Drew Galloway Promo - ANNDDD Drew has become a delusional champion. He says that he will put the title on the line against anyone, anywhere. Moose came out and he seriously can't be getting another title shot. Moose talked about Drew kicking him in the nuts, some dude kept fighting everytime Moose said nuts. Moose tries to get at Drew, who flees and says he already has a challenger tonight.

Grand Championship Open Challenge
Drew Galloway (C) vs Rob Ryzying - Squash
Drew won in the first round. Nothing much to say, Rob was big, but he was also the generic 2005 indie wrestler.

Helm's Dynasty Open Challenge - Trevor Lee actually got to cut the promo, he calls out DJZ. Pretty decent promo to be honest. Helms makes it a Ladder Match!

X-Division Championship Ladder Match
DJZ (C) vs Trevor Lee w/Shane Helms - 5.5/10
DJZ is still injured from last week's attack on his leg. Most of Lee's ladder offense actually focused on Z's leg. DJZ did show a lot of fire trying to retain his title, but Lee of all people actually deviced a lock using a chair and the ladder to lock Z on the floor while he got the title. I'm happy about the title change, this title is meaningless anyway, but DJZ was really making it worse.

Tyrus/Drake pre-commercial promo - Tyrus is seriously underrated in the mic.

Aron Rex and Manservent Spud - More weird stuff, it's like they don't want to wrestle, they just wanna play around. Robbie E showed up and challenged them to match tonight. Aron says they have a 'date' next week. I hope that by date it is actually a date.

Tyrus/Drake Open Challenge - Tyrus, talking for Eli Drake, calls out ECIII. ECIII has a seirously bad bruise on the left side. Maybe he SHOULD take some time off.

ECIII vs Eli Drake - 6.5/10
Seems like every singles match was the same formula today, mostly the heel dominating most of the match and small flurries of offense from the babyface. ECIII fought the whole match wearing jeans, so if you were wondering how shooty is this OFN, he wasn't even ready for the challenge! After one too many comebacks from ECIII, Tyrus and Eli brought a baseball bat to the match and Eli got DQ for it. Maybe he should have requested a no DQs match. There was an exchange between the fans and Drake that really made me laugh.

Drake: YEAH!
Fans: YEAH!
Drake: YEAH!
Drake: SHUT UP!

Post-Match - Lights go out and the DCC are in the ring as they come back. Drake and Tyrus square against them ready to fight, but the DCC just attack ECIII. THEEEN they attack Drake and Tyrus. DCC Spike Piledrive ECIII on a steel chair. I really like that DCC attacks everyone, heel or face.

OVERALL THOUGHTS:
That makes it second show in a row with all the titles on the line. I really hope some titles don't get defended next week. This show really felt like it belonged to the heels, not a single face won tonight, which could be a good thing, but nothing is related and everything is all over the place. I really like the Open Fight Night idea, but I hope we at least go 6 months without seeing it, hell, I liked it because of the briefcases, so maybe not until next year. DCC was the strongest stable tonight, we'll see what their win over Decay and taking out ECIII/Drake/Tyrus brings for them next week. Decent show, but it felt really packed considering it was kinda the same from last week.