TNA has a new title apparently

All Impact Wrestling (FKA TNA/GFW 2017) Reviews and Discussions
cero2k
Site Admin

TNA has a new title apparently

Post by cero2k » Aug 14th, '16, 12:59

i haven't found much info on this yet, TNA hasn't made a press release yet. It'll be interesting to see if those 'MMA rules' are shoot

Big Red Machine

Re: TNA has a new title apparently

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 14th, '16, 13:31

Because IGF has done oh so well.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 14th, '16, 15:40

From Wiki
The title was introduced at the August 13, 2016 tapings of TNA's television program Impact Wrestling after TNA President Billy Corgan announced that the TNA King of the Mountain Championship would be deactivated and retire in favor for the new championship. Corgan also announced a 8-man single elimination tournament that would feature new rules that would apply to the title. The new rules would be similar like the UFC in which each match will be three timed rounds, with a team of judges to award the win based on points, if there is no winner via pin or submission within the time limit. The final match is scheduled to be at Bound for Glory to determine the inaugural champion.
I kinda like this now, or at least i'm interested to see how it comes up, in wrestling terms, sounds like World of Sports rules, we'll see if these guys can build a good story within 3 rounds

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 14th, '16, 15:49

cero2k wrote:From Wiki
The title was introduced at the August 13, 2016 tapings of TNA's television program Impact Wrestling after TNA President Billy Corgan announced that the TNA King of the Mountain Championship would be deactivated and retire in favor for the new championship. Corgan also announced a 8-man single elimination tournament that would feature new rules that would apply to the title. The new rules would be similar like the UFC in which each match will be three timed rounds, with a team of judges to award the win based on points, if there is no winner via pin or submission within the time limit. The final match is scheduled to be at Bound for Glory to determine the inaugural champion.
I kinda like this now, or at least i'm interested to see how it comes up, in wrestling terms, sounds like World of Sports rules, we'll see if these guys can build a good story within 3 rounds
I'm the exact opposite. I absolutely hate this. I have always found rounds to interrupt the flow of things. There are ways to make it work as a one-off gimmick, but that is mostly to benefit a heel via having a babyface be oh so close but then the round ends. To have to see this every week, and sometimes without heels at all, will kill matches.
I hate judges and points even more. MMA is a real sport and the fans often disagree with the judges, and it's very frustrating when your favorite fighter loses via decision in a match you think he/she should have won via decision. How much worse is this going to be in pro wrestling, where people are going to be scrutinizing the execution of everything that should award a point to make sure it went correctly (because otherwise it's a botch. It'd be like a wrestler's shoulder clearly coming off of the mat during a pinfall but the count continuing anyway), and where fans are often rowdy on general principal.
The other problem with judging is the same reason that people hate it in MMA. We want a clear winner. Wrestling fans already hate non-decisive finishes, so have a title whose entire gimmick seems designed to build to a non-decisive finish?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 14th, '16, 17:03

Lashley will take that as well anyways.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.