Church In Kentucky Worships Ric Flair

All Impact Wrestling (FKA TNA/GFW 2017) Reviews and Discussions
Lynas
Future Endeavored

Church In Kentucky Worships Ric Flair

Post by Lynas » Feb 25th, '11, 06:18

WAYNESVILLE, KY - For quite a while now, Ric Flair has proclaimed himself to be a God while appearing at events for Total Nonstop Action wrestling. Most fans understand that this is just a hyperinflation of Flair's ego, and that it is just a character that he plays.

True, Flair's antics off-screen as of late have been somewhat overblown, but in spite of his increasingly ludicrous demands, he has never, been quoted off-screen as saying that he is a deity of any kind or demanded worship from others.

However, a group of individuals in America's Heartland have taken Flair's claims on-screen to heart, and have begun to treat Flair as the deity that will eventually lead to their salvation.

Led by Pastor (sic) Lloyd Bridges (no relation), the Church of the Original Wrestling God consists of around two hundred faithful parishioners, all steadfast in their belief that Ric Flair is actually a holy being. They hold meetings, worship services, and charity drives, as well as studies of what they consider to be the holy word.

"The first time I heard The Nature Boy declare that he was God, I just knew," Bridges said. "All his words, everything he'd said in the past, it all suddenly made sense as a guide to my life."

"Wrestling is important around here. We're pretty close to a lot of companies," COWG member Caroline Boggs, who leads the Women's study group, said. "It's easy for people that grew up here to believe that a man like Flair is a god . But even for those that haven't grown up with wrestling, it isn't impossible to have faith. You just have to look at the proof."

The congregation treats Flair's book, "To Be the Man," as their holy scripture, and most of the lessons taught during their worship services - all on Thursday nights preceding the airing of TNA Impact - are taken from this book. In addition, Bridges has compiled a list of quotes by Flair and certain associates that have accumulated over the years. The quotes are arranged first by subject, and then by chronology, with any earlier statements being overriden by later statements. Children in the congregation have been shown bits and pieces of these texts, but only in a limited nature; the members of the congregation see most of the "teachings of Flair" as instructions on how to live as an adult.

"When we heard about it, we thought it was just somebody making fun of Ric," says a source inside of Total Nonstop Action Wrestling who wishes to be anonymous. "But when we started getting weekly packets of letters to Ric from this church, we realized that these guys were worshipping 'Naitch without any irony. We try to get the packets to Ric when we can, but most of the time, he's busy blowing his paycheck on groupies and booze. I think he's answered maybe two of them, and I don't think he tried to disillusion these people either time. Maybe he likes the attention."

Of course, while most people see the Church of the Original Wrestling God as just an oddity in Waynesville, some people in the town see Pastor Bridges's church as blasphemous.

"It's ridiculous," Pastor Carl Hiram of the Church of the Wrestling God remarked when asked about the Flair worshippers. "There is only one Wrestling God, and that is, of course, John Bradshaw Layfield."

yourcrapsweak

Re: Church In Kentucky Worships Ric Flair

Post by yourcrapsweak » Feb 25th, '11, 10:44

I have "To Be the Man" and it is by no means a Bible...
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Feb 25th, '11, 20:11

Totally ridiculous... to quote the Miz... "Really? Really?"

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Feb 25th, '11, 22:33

Lynas, I applaud you.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Feb 26th, '11, 08:13

ECWFlairfan wrote:Totally ridiculous... to quote the Miz... "Really? Really?"
Its a joke. This isn't real

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Feb 26th, '11, 13:08

Rabid619 wrote:
ECWFlairfan wrote:Totally ridiculous... to quote the Miz... "Really? Really?"
Its a joke. This isn't real
of course not; Ky isn't Flair Country.

Now, if they were worshipping Savage or Lawler, I'd be more inclined to believe....