cero2k
Site Admin

Impact Wrestling 1.18 Review: Brian Cage's Rampage

Post by cero2k » Jan 19th, '19, 14:31

Impact Wrestling
January 18, 2019
Nashville, TN

KM w/Fallah Bahh vs Caleb Konley - Dud
The match quickly cut to the back where we see Brian Cage storming around, looking for Johnny Impact, or Johnny Bravo maybe. Eventually someone pointed to the ring so Cage would leave him alone. Cage went out to the ring, hit an F5 on KM (giving him the DQ win), attacked Caleb, attacked Bahh, and once again attacked KM in the ramp.

Post-match - Brian Cage is infuriated because Johnny had told him that he'd be first in line for a title shot, and now Killer Kross had been given a title shot for next week. Cage said that he doesn't give a shit about what Kross did to Taya and Johnny, he is not going to allow Johnny to lose the title before he can get his title shot.

Out came Johnny, but before he could talk, Kross and Moose attacked him from behind. Once they were done, Cage dragged the dead body of Johnny to the ring to give him an F5, but Kross and Moose came back and attacked them both.

Back from commercial, Cage cut a promo challenging Moose to a match for getting involved in his business.

Ethan Page vs Eddie Edwards - 5/10
Eli Drake is on commentary. The match was back and forth, but not all that exciting. I don't feel like Page has caught his pace in Impact, and without Sydal, he does feel kinda weird since his gimmick is still the Third Eye opened stuff, but he doesn't cut the whole promo as Sydal does, in addition, he's been getting wins, so we know he's going somewhere, I just don't know where exactly. Finish saw Edwards dominate, but he still got the kendo stick and hit Page with it, getting himself DQed.

Throughout the match, Drake talked about how Edwards doesn’t need to use hardcore moves since he used to have all the tools to be a great wrestler. After the match, Drake cut a promo on Edwards. Drake told Edwards that he used to be champion material and now he is running around getting himself disqualified.

Drake challenged Edwards to bring back the American Wolf. A heel promo, but I can’t help but agree with Drake here.

The GWN Flashback Moment of the Week - This was a six-man cage match with Abyss, Kevin Northcutt & Legend defeating The Gathering in 2003 when CM Punk and Julio DiNero turned on Raven, giving Abyss the win.

oVe Promo - Sami Callihan told Rich Swann that it’s time to come home. He then turned his attention to Jake and Dave Crist’s opponents for tonight’s main event -- LAX. Callihan said that tonight, the only family that walks out is oVe.

The Rascalz That's 70's Show Skit - They talked about Trey Miguel losing at Homecoming and Dezmond Xavier & Zachary Wentz losing against the Lucha Brothers. They hyped each other up to make a comeback.

Jordynne Grace (w/ Kiera Hogan) vs Dark Allie (w/ Su Yung) - 4/10
The start of the match was interrupted by the light fixtures malfunctioning, hinting at Rosemary’s presence. This was a short match that saw Allie get control over Grace early, thanks to distractions from Yung.

Grace would power herself into comebacks, but on several occasions, Allie resorted to some cheap shots to keep control of the match. At the end, Grace simply blocked Allie and hit a pumphandle driver for the win. The match wasn’t much, but it kept Grace looking like someone that can take you out if she gets her hands on you.

Post-match - After Hogan and Grace had walked to the back, the lights went off and on, replacing Yung with Rosemary. Rosemary offered her hand to Allie, who ran away again.

Scarlett Bordeaux Talent Search Reveal - She was backstage announcing the winner of the Smoke Show Talent Search -- herself. She put herself over by saying that she is the most over woman in the Knockouts division and hasn’t even stepped inside the ring. She said that her in-ring debut is coming. Kinda underwhelming, almost feels like a Russo swerve, but realistically, there isn’t anyone that deserves her managerial services or wouldn’t get overshadowed by her, this plays perfectly with her character. In addition, it wasn't something that wasted a lot of time in previous show, it was a driving force for KM/Bahh feuding with the Desi Hit Squad.

Impact Wrestling is returning to Las Vegas for a new set of tapings on February 15, 16, and 17.

Brian Cage defeated Moose
Great hoss fight. Moose worked over Cage's leg from early on, while Cage played the 'If i catch you, i kill you' roll that we also saw earlier with Jordynne Grace. Finish saw Moose went for a chair shot, but Cage dodged, hit the Drill Claw, and picked up the win.

Taya Valkyrie Health Update - Josh Mathews and Taya Valkyrie, who informed us that she is still recovering and won’t be cleared until next week. Valkyrie addressed Tessa Blanchard saying that Valkyrie won the championship thanks to Gail Kim, saying that Blanchard bullied a lot of referees and finally got what was coming to her. She said that next week, she will be in Mexico City and ready to defend the title against Blanchard.

Killer Kross Promo - He was pushing Johnny Impact’s buttons as he brought up what he did to Valkyrie and the fans wanting Johnny to lose to Cage or himself. Kross said that next week, he wins the Impact World Championship.

Tessa Blanchard Interview - Blanchard was interviewed by McKenzie Mitchell. She shouted at Mitchell and blamed Gail Kim for her loss. Suddenly, Blanchard started attacking some of the crew until Kim came to stop her, getting into a brawl. Blanchard choked Kim with some cables until the Impact officials stopped them.

Back from commercial, Sonjay Dutt and D’Amore were arguing with Blanchard about putting her hands on officials and suspending her. Blanchard stormed off.

Non-title match
Rich Swann vs Trey Miguel
Great back-and-forth, short match. I think Trey Miguel has a big future, even if it's just an X-Division run, but he has charisma and has a really flashy wrestling style. All Rascalz should hold gold at one point this year. Rich Swann won with a second rope 450.

Post-match - oVe came out. Callihan once again offered Swann the oVe shirt, and once again, Swann didn't join the team. Before he could answer, LAX came out for the main event.

Non-Title match
LAX w/ Konnan vs oVe w/ Sami Callihan - 7.5/10
Pretty great match, spotty, but I don't get tired of seeing these two teams face each other. LAX won with that double inverted suplex that I still can't figure out what it's called.

Post-match - The Lucha Brothers congratulated LAX backstage, telling them it was a good match, to which Ortiz casually offered Pentagon & Fenix another “ass whooping.” Konnan shouted "What are you doing!?" at Ortiz as Impact went off the air. Konnan's timing was perfect.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Overall, a good show for story development since we’re seeing a lot of rivalries start to escalate to a whole new level. Inside the ring, the show started off somewhat slow, but it managed to close with two good matches.

Next week, Impact returns to Mexico City’s Fronton Mexico. Johnny Impact defends the Impact World title against Killer Kross, and Taya Valkyrie makes her return.

Big Red Machine

Re: Impact Wrestling 1.18 Review: Brian Cage's Rampage

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 20th, '19, 00:18

But... Rich Swann is not from Ohio. How can he join their group?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 20th, '19, 11:06

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 20th, '19, 00:18 But... Rich Swann is not from Ohio. How can he join their group?
I saw the explanation during the mexico tapings, there will be a promo were Callihan's family took in Rich when rich was younger and helped him out get on his feet, something like that. It's not exactly an Ohio thing, hence Crist brothers having no problem kicking his ass these last few weeks

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 20th, '19, 13:47

cero2k wrote: Jan 20th, '19, 11:06
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 20th, '19, 00:18 But... Rich Swann is not from Ohio. How can he join their group?
I saw the explanation during the mexico tapings, there will be a promo were Callihan's family took in Rich when rich was younger and helped him out get on his feet, something like that.
That makes sense.
cero2k wrote: Jan 20th, '19, 11:06 It's not exactly an Ohio thing, hence Crist brothers having no problem kicking his ass these last few weeks
How can it not be an Ohio thing? The name of the group is "Ohio vs. Everyone."

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 20th, '19, 14:19

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 20th, '19, 13:47
cero2k wrote: Jan 20th, '19, 11:06 It's not exactly an Ohio thing, hence Crist brothers having no problem kicking his ass these last few weeks
I meant that it's not a "born in ohio" thing. it makes sense for me that the Crists wouldn't know about Rich if he wasn't always there

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 20th, '19, 14:52

cero2k wrote: Jan 20th, '19, 14:19
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 20th, '19, 13:47
I meant that it's not a "born in ohio" thing. it makes sense for me that the Crists wouldn't know about Rich if he wasn't always there
If it's not supposed to be an Ohio thing then don't name the group Ohio vs. Everything.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation