Money In The Bank? Who actually needs it?

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

Re: Money In The Bank? Who actually needs it?

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 26th, '11, 15:56

Catus Jack Manson wrote:The only way for me to believe that the MITB winner is credible of having a world title shot, is if he also beats the top contenders while holding onto the briefcase. At least Edge & RVD did so before they won there first WWE Championships.
That is assuming that they give MITB to an unproven guy. If someone like Sheamus or Triple H or Rey were to win it, I don't think this same stigma would exist.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 26th, '11, 15:56

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:MITB works well as a limited concept, but I think it has almost run its course. There are only so many angles you can work from it:

1. Heel wins by cashing in on an injured/tired babyface (Edge)
1b. Heel injures the babyface himself, then cashes in.

2. Heel does the same as #1, but loses, leading to the heel either
a) snapping, and just going nuts
or b) realizing that cheating doesn't work, and thus vowing to do better and becoming a babyface

3. Arrogant/Ego-maniacal Heel wants to be the center of attention, so he wants until Mania to cash in (Mr. Kennedy)

4. Babyface announces his title shot in advance, like a babyface should (RVD)

5. Babyface cashes in on a disadvantaged face, thus turning heel because the title is what is important (Punk)

6. MITB winner has his shot ruined via DQ, thus setting up for a real match.

WWE has done most of these already, and many of them (especially #1) get old very quickly, since they are so predictable.
there's also Face cashes in on defeated heel and saves the world from a reign of terror (punk's first). The heel has to brag about being taken advantage of...
Okay, that's 7.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Cactus Jack Manson

Post by Cactus Jack Manson » Jan 26th, '11, 18:21

Big Red Machine wrote: That is assuming that they give MITB to an unproven guy. If someone like Sheamus or Triple H or Rey were to win it, I don't think this same stigma would exist.
In my eyes, it would be a good idea to give it to a guy that has proven himself as a world champion, but has been trying to climb the ladder, so to speak, to get another opportunity, while at the same time, having all the guys that are top contenders face against the MITB winner. Who's to say that the MITB winner will have the confidence to face the World Champion if he keeps losing matches against people he would face as the champion? It would be about having the proper mind set, instead of saying, "since the first MITB match, every one that has had the breefcase, wins the title sometime with in the next year", which would make it so predictable and a waste of time for a wrestling fan to worry about.

That's another problem with WWE. They aren't being creative when it comes to the MITB winners. They could use the MITB as a target painted on his chest, have all the top contenders wrestle the MITB winner to show that they deserve a title shot more. Or even have the MITB winner lose in his title match, but have a respectful match as well. It would actually show that he can earn a title show if he wins it in better circumstances then just being lucky enough to get the title shot.
R.I.P. Randy Mario Poffo, aka Randy "Macho Man" Savage
11/15/52 - 5/20/11

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 27th, '11, 12:36

Catus Jack Manson wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: That is assuming that they give MITB to an unproven guy. If someone like Sheamus or Triple H or Rey were to win it, I don't think this same stigma would exist.
Catus Jack Manson wrote: In my eyes, it would be a good idea to give it to a guy that has proven himself as a world champion, but has been trying to climb the ladder, so to speak, to get another opportunity, while at the same time, having all the guys that are top contenders face against the MITB winner. Who's to say that the MITB winner will have the confidence to face the World Champion if he keeps losing matches against people he would face as the champion? It would be about having the proper mind set, instead of saying, "since the first MITB match, every one that has had the breefcase, wins the title sometime with in the next year", which would make it so predictable and a waste of time for a wrestling fan to worry about.
If the MITB winner loses and doesn't have the confidence to face the champ, he will want to cash in unfairly... but then again, that is another angle right there: The guy who tried to do it right, but kept losing. He "needed" to win the title to make himself feel better (turning heel as a result).

Constantly repeating that MITB= world title only makes it dull and predictable until the challenger actually loses. I LOVED Punk's cash-in match against Jeff because Jeff kicked out of the GTS, then rolled Punk up for a nearfall before Punk hit him with another GTS for the win. I was dead certain that Punk was going to lose when Jeff rolled him up.

Catus Jack Manson wrote: That's another problem with WWE. They aren't being creative when it comes to the MITB winners. They could use the MITB as a target painted on his chest, have all the top contenders wrestle the MITB winner to show that they deserve a title shot more. Or even have the MITB winner lose in his title match, but have a respectful match as well. It would actually show that he can earn a title show if he wins it in better circumstances then just being lucky enough to get the title shot.
i like the idea of having people try and beat the MITB holder to show that they are the true, deserving #1 contender.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation