NWK Reviews WWE Summerslam 2005

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
NWK2000

NWK Reviews WWE Summerslam 2005

Post by NWK2000 » Feb 28th, '19, 02:35

Intro/Retrospective

Summer 2005. My dad bravely climbs the roof to mount higher power antenna to our roof. Why? So I can watch Smackdown on UPN. The skullduggery of having to get a better antenna so you can watch local channels aside, my first major Smackdown storyline was Eddie Guerrero's feud with Rey Mysterio. While I'd been keeping up with Smackdown via Velocity for years Eddie's promos are some of my first memories of watching Smackdown as it happened.

But this isn't all that was happening. John Cena was trying to get over as a top face on Raw, Randy Orton faces Undertaker in a rematch from Wrestlemania 21, and also Hulk Hogan vs Shawn Micheals. I remember being enraptured with all of this, let's see if it holds up through 2019 eyes

Opening video package: Generic, even the Hogan/Michaels part, which is given its own section after a lengthy black screen comes off as generic

United States Championship: Orlando Jordan (c) vs Chris Benoit

Orlando whiffs a punch, gets German suplexed, and Crossfaced in less than 30 seconds.
DUD
Vickie talks to Eddie backstage: Bad. Vickie isn't as nearly as alarmed at how psychotic Eddie has become as she should be. She did manage to get across that she doesn't think he's doing this for Dominick, that he just wants to beat Rey. Eddie tells her off for this

Matt Hardy vs Edge video package: Uncomfortable in how real it is, especially with the benefit of hindsight of how badly this actually screwed with Matt in real life. Edge at least had his creepy facials down from day one.

Matt Hardy vs Edge

This match starts out hot, including a spear through the ropes. Matt gets banged off the turnbuckle during a 10 punch spot, The storyline is that Matt is concussed, but the ref takes entirely too long to call it off, and what apparently does Matt in is a super clearly-worked stomp to the head. Bad reffing aside, why would you give a match such an inconclusive, shoot finish when doing so would clearly deny the fans some kind of satisfaction?

DUD

Ladder match: Winner gets custody of Dominick
Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio

To paraphrase Tazz, "Oh My God, this is ugly". This match is full of botches, and falls that look absolutely horrendous. That said, the crowd was INTO THIS. Michael Cole and Tazz were as good as they've ever been on commentary, and there were plenty of storyline moments that were pop inducing even now, especially Dominick's attempted interference. Unfortunately, this match was hindered by not only the above botches, but the fact that Vickie missed her cue. This is made worse by the fact that she has to hold Eddie back after she knocked the ladder over when Eddie should've just been out. The fact that Eddie was up and mobile post match and not beating the shit out of Vickie for acosting him blew the kayfabe out of this for me. Also Rey has to knock Eddie out with the briefcase to make up for this

6/10

Winner gets Kurt Angle's Olympic Gold Medal
Kurt Angle vs Eugene w/ Christy Hemme

Kurt dominates the match. Eugene hits three moves, all of which warrant 2 and a half counts. Angle wins though. At least him demanding to be adorned the medal standing on a chair was entertaining. I would give this a number rating if Eugene had hit anything that HADN'T resulted in a nearfall
DUD

The Divas wash "The President"'s limo: Sexy carwash cliches are abound. We're shown the President's seal on the limo, only to reveal that the passenger is....VINCE MCMAHON. Vince turns to the camera and asks, "Hey, why not?" as Hail to the Chief plays. We see a "McMahon for President" bumper sticker, which I want. This was hilarious. Any time Vince breaks the fourth wall and tells us, "I can do whatever I want" will get a pop out of me.

Undetaker vs Randy Orton

This goes longer than the main event, and this doesn't get a video package? And Undertaker comes out first?
Orton gets multiple moves off on Taker showcasing his speed, but one strike always slows Orton down. Orton survives getting his shoulder worked over, and even gets some stiff sounding strikes on Taker which pop the crowd. I've forgotten how crazy mobile Undertaker used to be. Undertaker dominates for a while until Randy ducks a running knee in the turnbuckle. Undertaker has to get his foot on the bottom rope after a DDT, Randy works the leg. Undertaker works the leg briefly but Orton regains momentum Taker doesn't utilize the bad leg for the leg drop which gets this an extra .5 points on principle. When Randy realizes he has Taker down after running into a dropkick, his facials are GREAT. RKO is blocked, multiple Tombstone reversals, and Orton's neck/backbreaker gets a two. This is the only time that that move felt like a possible finish. Undertaker rolls through a crossbody for a chokeslam. A fan comes into the ring distracting Taker allowing the RKO to be hit for the win!The fan reveals himself to be COWBOY BOB ORTON! This was especially fun for me as a young fan who was just learning about legends. This was a weird finish to a great match.

8.5/10

Jericho vs Cena video package: Cena's debut on Raw will always make me happy having been there live. Bischoff and Cena is apparently the new Austin vs McMahon and Jericho is the new Dude Love. This is meh, other than the visual of Jericho doing a Lionsault in ref gear on Raw.

Bischoff wishes Jericho luck before his entrance.

WWE Championship: Chris Jericho vs John Cena (c)

Jericho knocks Cena down off a shoulder block and turns around and is shocked when he gets back up again, what a doofus. Jericho gets the better of a strike exchange. Jericho gets a springboard move blocked, and the two brawl outside the ring. Jericho takes control again despite nothing he's really doing having an impact enough to believably keep Cena down. Strike exchange and Cena is sent out. Apron missile dropkick by Jericho. Jericho tweeks his leg on a Superplex. They're very loudly calling spots. Cena fights back but Jericho slides under a Cena Shoulder Tackle. Bulldog, Lionsault missed because tweeked knee, Victory Roll into the walls. Cena boosts Jericho out of the ring. and we get a double down. Damn Cena does his top rope fame asser years before I ever remember him doing it. FU countered into a DDT. Back breaker leads to goofy looking elbow drops where Cena is on his side. Even this early on we get the divide of children cheering for Cena and smarks chanting for Jericho. Choke on the ropes. Jericho does a dance to signal his hip attack on the second ropes but you can clearly see Cena looking back to time the clothesline to counter. Five moves of doom except clotheslines instead of shoulder blocks. but Jericho locks in the walls to counter the Shuffle. Cena has a tremendous amount of babyface fire and gets the ropes. Jericho counters a top rope FU with a sloppy backdrop and a sloppy jacknife pin for a 2 and 1/2. Jericho argues with the ref and goes for the bulldog only to get a sloppy Tilt a Whirl FU for the win for Cena. The best part of the finish is the Hulk Hogan marks in the crowd upset that Cena won. The irony is delicious This match had flashes of brilliance, you can see how John Cena was deemed worthy to be the top face, but whenever they would get into an impactful groove they'd lose it, and the sloppy finishing sequence didn't help matters either.

4.5/10

JBL vs Batista package: Batista got DQued at the Great American Bash. Or did JBL? It's not made clear. Anyway heel JBL chooses a No Holds Barred match.

No Holds Barred Match for the World Heavyweight Championship
Batista (c) vs JBL

Crowd brawling ends in a spear through the guard rail. JBL takes control with stiffness. Batista gets whipped and choked with the belt. Batista couinters out and gets the belt for himself. Batista kicks out of the Clothesline from Hell. JBL brings stairs in the ring and gets countered off of a powerbomb Batista hits a Spinbuster to counter the another Clothesline from Hell, and powerbombs JBL twice, once on the steps for the win. This felt like a short, simple match, but they told a good story in that length of time.
6/10

Hogan vs Michaels video package: Shawn is randomly mad at Hogan after a tag match because Hogan is a part timer.

Hulk Hogan vs Shawn Michaels

HBK mimes a burial during Hogan's entrance. Yeah, we've all seen this match. And it's fucking embarrassing. Hogan acted like a brat per usual about losing, and HBK decided to make a joke out of the match by overselling the entire time. If you didn't know wrestling was pre-determined now, you did after this. And these two guys are fucking millionaires because of pro wrestling, but both men acting like they were in fucking kindergarten, making an ass out of the art form that made them famous.

DUD

Conclusion

Half of this card was duds. Half. Other than Taker vs Orton, or if you're interested in who the legal guardian of Dominick is, do not not watch this show. This is on par with Russo booked WCW levels of bad.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Serujuunin

Re: NWK Reviews WWE Summerslam 2005

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 28th, '19, 22:17

I also vaguely remember this PPV being awful, and I would have been only a 15 year old little fangirl at the time... I'm kind of astonished I remember it at all actually, which I guess is a testament to how awful it was! Good job WWE!

Also, I really like the way you format your reviews. It makes the undergraduate in me very happy.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 28th, '19, 23:28

Thank you for taking this bullet for me. I've been dreading watching this show so much I haven't gone forward with my plan to watch all of 2005 (a plan I cultivated so long ago that I bought them all ON DVD in order to do it) in years. Now that you have bravely sacrificed yourself, I can move on to Angle/HBK/Cena matches in main events without having to deal with Eugene and Hogan and other objectionable content.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 1st, '19, 11:39

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 28th, '19, 23:28 Thank you for taking this bullet for me. I've been dreading watching this show so much I haven't gone forward with my plan to watch all of 2005 (a plan I cultivated so long ago that I bought them all ON DVD in order to do it) in years. Now that you have bravely sacrificed yourself, I can move on to Angle/HBK/Cena matches in main events without having to deal with Eugene and Hogan and other objectionable content.
Hul Kogan?
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Mar 1st, '19, 12:24

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 28th, '19, 23:28 Thank you for taking this bullet for me. I've been dreading watching this show so much I haven't gone forward with my plan to watch all of 2005 (a plan I cultivated so long ago that I bought them all ON DVD in order to do it) in years. Now that you have bravely sacrificed yourself, I can move on to Angle/HBK/Cena matches in main events without having to deal with Eugene and Hogan and other objectionable content.
Now that you've thrown the grenade in the room, how much did that set you back?

You're not escaping Eugene. He was super prevalent for basically all of his run which started in 2004, during which point he got a visual pinfall on World Champion Chris Benoit, until he turned heel on Jim Duggan in 2006 (God, that's a sentence)

The Angle/Cena/HBK match you're remembering was Angle vs HBK while Cena sold, and then he hit the FU out of nowhere to win. I remember this because even as a teenage mark this match came across poorly.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 1st, '19, 12:36

NWK2000 wrote: Mar 1st, '19, 12:24
Now that you've thrown the grenade in the room, how much did that set you back?

You're not escaping Eugene. He was super prevalent for basically all of his run which started in 2004, during which point he got a visual pinfall on World Champion Chris Benoit, until he turned heel on Jim Duggan in 2006 (God, that's a sentence)

The Angle/Cena/HBK match you're remembering was Angle vs HBK while Cena sold, and then he hit the FU out of nowhere to win. I remember this because even as a teenage mark this match came across poorly.
Not too much. I got most of them for about $3 each.

I remembered that part, too, but I know Angle had been feuding with both guys around this point, so I figure there has to be some great stuff coming up.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 1st, '19, 12:48

Eugene sucked. Then yeah sure, turn that man heel and "hate the retarded guy" even better idea for the character.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Mar 1st, '19, 12:57

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 28th, '19, 23:28
I remembered that part, too, but I know Angle had been feuding with both guys around this point, so I figure there has to be some great stuff coming up.
I think the only thing we're missing in terms of outstanding 2005 Pay Per View content is Wrestlemania 21. Research would indicate the shows you're thinking of are Taboo Tuesday 2005 which, other than Cena/HBK/Angle looks dreadful and Survivor Series 2005 in which we got Cena vs Angle, but Daivari was Angle's personal referee, and he'd become a cartoon caricature of a heel, saying he'd like to make Jesus tap out and that he hated black people, in order to make some meta point about how he couldn't make fans boo him no matter how outlandish he became.

So yeah other than Mania 21 let's leave the 2005 train at the station unless one of us gets really bored.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 1st, '19, 13:30

2005 was the rise of Edge...