BRM Reviews WWE Hell in a Cell 2018 (or, "How to Ruin an Awesome PPV in One Easy Step")

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
Bob-O

Re: BRM Reviews WWE Hell in a Cell 2018 (or, "How to Ruin an Awesome PPV in One Easy Step")

Post by Bob-O » Sep 18th, '18, 23:59

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 18th, '18, 14:01 When people bought tickets to the Hell in a Cell PPV, they were expecting a finish in the Hell in a Cell matches. They weren't given that, so they felt screwed.
Agree to disagree I guess. After the last 12 months of programming and ppv's, Lesnar's endless reign, every AJ Styles match... shoving Roman Reigns down our throats, following us with a plastic bag until we pooped him out, and proceeding to beat us over the head with said Poop Bag until we called it "Big Dog"... I have a hard time believing any ticket holder felt legitimately screwed, especially when Foley's involvement was a giant red flag from the get go.

Chants are chants, man. The dozen or so that actually were pissed about this started a chant that got picked up by everyone else, who in turn went home and talked about how cool it was to see Brock Lesnar live. I promise.

Big Red Machine

Re: BRM Reviews WWE Hell in a Cell 2018 (or, "How to Ruin an Awesome PPV in One Easy Step")

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 19th, '18, 18:27

KILLdozer wrote: Sep 18th, '18, 15:55 There's not really a lot of places for Lashley, Owens, and Balor on a PPV that did so well on time without them, when they're not even really involved in directions that are actually leading towards big or pivotal things. Simple.

Why have their aimless booking even be involved if it will just waste valuable time?
You're not wrong. But I think the solution is to do brand-specific PPVs, not to just cut big names out of each PPV.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 19th, '18, 18:44

Bob-O wrote: Sep 18th, '18, 23:59
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 18th, '18, 14:01 When people bought tickets to the Hell in a Cell PPV, they were expecting a finish in the Hell in a Cell matches. They weren't given that, so they felt screwed.
Agree to disagree I guess. After the last 12 months of programming and ppv's, Lesnar's endless reign, every AJ Styles match... shoving Roman Reigns down our throats, following us with a plastic bag until we pooped him out, and proceeding to beat us over the head with said Poop Bag until we called it "Big Dog"... I have a hard time believing any ticket holder felt legitimately screwed,
You're assuming everyone bought their tickets before the Foley announcement, which was made on the go-home show, just six days before the PPV.
And if you're basing it purely on EVERYTHING MUST BE DONE TO PUT ROMAN OVER logic then I think a clean Roman victory was a perfectly reasonable thing to expect. After all, Fast Lane 2017 was a situation where it would have made perfect sense to protect Roman via Undertaker distraction but they just had him beat the then-unpinned Braun clean instead, so why wouldn't we think they'd be willing to do the same thing here, when there is less of a reason to protect Braun?

But you're also not wrong that wrestling fans- and particularly when it comes to WWE now or TNA from about 2009-2016- are basically abused puppies who always come back.
Bob-O wrote: Sep 18th, '18, 23:59 especially when Foley's involvement was a giant red flag from the get go.
I, too, took Foley's involvement for a red flag, but I think it twists the knife a bit here because Foley's presence was irrelevant. People wouldn't have liked a Foley f*ck-finish, but at the same time (oh dear Lord this metaphor is going to be graphic. You've been warned).
Hidden text.
Yes, people should have taken Foley's as presence as a sign they were going to get f*cked, and buying your ticket after that point is giving WWE permission to f*ck you in that way... but that's not how we got f*cked on this finish. This was like saying "Yeah, Vince! Put it in my pussy" but Vince shoved it up your ass instead. Not cool, Vince.
Bob-O wrote: Sep 18th, '18, 23:59 Chants are chants, man. The dozen or so that actually were pissed about this started a chant that got picked up by everyone else, who in turn went home and talked about how cool it was to see Brock Lesnar live. I promise.
I don't think the two feelings are mutually exclusive. You can think it was cool to see Brock live while also being pissed about being f*cked on the main event finish.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sep 19th, '18, 19:32

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 19th, '18, 18:44 I don't think the two feelings are mutually exclusive. You can think it was cool to see Brock live while also being pissed about being f*cked on the main event finish
OK, now I KNOW I'm overthinking it, but when the brand outdraws the talent (WWE's entire business model atm), especially on a gimmick show that is also outdrawing your talent, I just don't think think the finish matters that much to the live audience. They were there to see "Hell In A Cell presented by WWE", not Roman Reigns vs Braun Strowman. Since WWE's product is presented as more of a live action movie than an actual sporting event, they've conditioned The WWE Universe not to give a shit so long as they're entertained (which they managed to do here for the first time in a while on PPV). If people were actually paying money to see THAT match, THAT main event, ONE or BOTH of those guys... then sure, chant away, throw garbage and chairs and shoot the lights out of the ceiling (Texas lol). But somebody is going to have a hard time convincing me people bought this show because of anyone in that match.

Something like Cena vs Rock, or Rock vs Hogan, or Cena vs Lesnar... those NEEDED clean finishes. Braun vs Roman? I don't really care.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 19th, '18, 19:57

Bob-O wrote: Sep 19th, '18, 19:32
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 19th, '18, 18:44 I don't think the two feelings are mutually exclusive. You can think it was cool to see Brock live while also being pissed about being f*cked on the main event finish
OK, now I KNOW I'm overthinking it, but when the brand outdraws the talent (WWE's entire business model atm), especially on a gimmick show that is also outdrawing your talent, I just don't think think the finish matters that much to the live audience. They were there to see "Hell In A Cell presented by WWE", not Roman Reigns vs Braun Strowman. Since WWE's product is presented as more of a live action movie than an actual sporting event, they've conditioned The WWE Universe not to give a shit so long as they're entertained (which they managed to do here for the first time in a while on PPV). If people were actually paying money to see THAT match, THAT main event, ONE or BOTH of those guys... then sure, chant away, throw garbage and chairs and shoot the lights out of the ceiling (Texas lol). But somebody is going to have a hard time convincing me people bought this show because of anyone in that match.

Something like Cena vs Rock, or Rock vs Hogan, or Cena vs Lesnar... those NEEDED clean finishes. Braun vs Roman? I don't really care.
No one buys specific shows anymore, and most people bought tickets well before the main event was announced (or even hinted at). They bought tickets for Hell in a Cell, and Hell in a Cell has always meant a real finish. Not necessarily a clean one, but a real finish (although even dirty finishes have been rare. I'm having trouble thinking of any other than Punk vs. Ryback, Dragon vs. Orton, Taker vs. HBK, Rollins vs. Ambrose and the two on Raw in 1998 that have been so forgotten about that I'm not sure I had ever heard of the second one before I searched Wikipedia for a list of HIAC matches, and even in those cases, all but the two from Raw did actually end in someone getting pinned or submitting, although the Punk vs. Ryback finish stretches this a lot). I think that if WWE advertises a Hell in a Cell Match, it's more than reasonable to assume that you're going to be getting a real finish because WWE has shown us over the years Hell in a Cell mean we're getting a real finish.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 20th, '18, 14:39

WON Ratings for WWE Hell in a Cell 2018
New Day vs. Rusev & English: 3.25
Hardy vs. Orton: 3.75
Flair vs. Lynch: 3.75
Rollins & Ambrose vs. Ziggler & McIntyre: 4.5
Joe vs. Styles: 4
Bryan & Bella vs. Miz & Maryse: 3.25
Bliss vs. Rousey: 3.25
Reigns vs. Strowman: 3.25

e-moose

Post by e-moose » Sep 26th, '18, 03:38

RED CAGE! Looks cool. Drawback of course iz in case of blood (it's a cage match after all), the red cage takes away from its vizibility and there4 its perceived intensity.

I too was really enjoying the Roman/Strowman match, only to be baffled not only by booking but by an idiotic TV production which layz waste to any possible legitimacy of the sport.

OK so 4 guyz come out and fight all over the cage. In what professional sport would the TV producer then TAKE ALL CAMERAZ AND COMMENTATORZ OFF OF A MATCH 4 THE CHAMPIONSHIP?! FOR 5+ MINUTES?! ... and 1 more thing. OK so Seth and Dolph fell thru tablez. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO DEAN AND DREW?! I wonder what the live audience saw them do.