BRM Reviews WWE Money in the Bank 2018 (GREAT!)

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews WWE Money in the Bank 2018 (GREAT!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 18th, '18, 00:05

WWE Money in the Bank 2018 (6/17/2018)- Chicago, IL

PRE-SHOW:

WWE SMACKDOWN TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Bludgeon Brothers(c) vs. Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson- 4.5/10
They did the best they could, but it’s really hard to get into a match for titles that don’t mean anything and which only goes seven minutes, a good chunk of which you don’t even get to see because they are interrupted for a commercial advertising the very show you’re already watching.

Other moments of note on the pre-show were Daniel Bryan cutting a promo, Kevin Owens trying to form an alliance with Samoa Joe and getting turned down, and Seth Rollins once again being a dick to The Drifter.

MAIN SHOW:

DANIEL BRYAN vs. BIG CASS- 7/10
They told the obvious story of Cass’ strength vs. Bryan’s technique working over Cass’ leg. There also had a little story about Cass’ arrogance costing him the advantage several times, which I thought not only helped the match but also helped get Cass’ character across in the ring in way that felt a lot more integrated with his matches than usual. They did some stuff you usually don’t see in WWE (a TORTURE RACK!) and had a pretty great match which really got the crowd into the show.

KEVIN OWENS & NEW DAY BACKSTAGE- bad
Owens has brought them pancakes, as well as “the finest Canadian maple syrup.” He tries to find out which of them will be in the match, and to convince the others to interfere and take out Braun Strowman. They insisted that they would never cheat (which is hilarious, considering that they used to cheat as babyfaces all the time). This ended in predictably stupid fashion, with New Day freaking out and acting like obnoxious hyperactive goofs.

SAMI ZAYN vs. BOBBY LASHLEY- 2.5/10
Zayn ran around like a chickensh*t for a while, then Lashley beat him up and pinned him.

THE DRIFTER SINGS- or not, because he doesn’t like Chicago.

WWE INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE MATCH: Seth Rollins(c) vs. “The Drifter” Elias Sampson- 6.75/10
The Drifter worked over Rollins’ injured neck and they also did a spot where Rollins injured his knee on a landing so that got worked over, too. This one took a while to get into second gear, but the last few minutes were quite good. Rollins’ pulled The Drifter’s tights on the finish, and all three announcers had no problem with this, even though it is clearly cheating. It makes sense for Graves to be okay with it but not Cole and Coach.

WOMEN’S MONEY IN THE BANK LADDER MATCH: Ember Moon vs. Alexa Bliss! vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Sasha Banks vs. Natalya vs. Becky Lynch vs. Naomi vs. Lana- 8.75/10
I LOVED this match (and, no that’s not just because Alexa won). Not only did we get the usual sick bumps and cool athletic spots, but there were some little moments in here that were just AWESOME, like Sasha and Charlotte’s stare-down, or all of the stuff between Charlotte and Becky. Everyone had their role to play, whether it was Alexa opportunistically hiding on the outside most of the match until the time was right to strike, or Sasha taking the big bumps, or Naomi doing her athletic stuff, or Ember just flying around or Charlotte and Becky telling their story, everything clicked together wonderfully.
The other thing I really liked about this match was how (pardon the pun) raw it felt, which is even more shocking when you consider that the women apparently all got pulled form last night’s house shows to go over their matches. There was a point in the match where two women were fighting on a ladder under the briefcase and a third woman then pulled a second ladder over while a fourth woman was getting into the ring and I groaned because I figured we were about to get that usual stupid phony-feeling spot where all of a sudden everyone gets in the ring and they’ve got a bunch of ladders set up right next to each other so they can have everyone pairing off trading punches on ladders right next to each other at the same time and then eventually the ladders all get knocked over and blah blah blah… you know the spot I’m taking about? Well in this match I was presently surprised that there were no other ladders added after the second, and they managed to get about six women fighting just between the two ladders. There was a lot of stuff like that which (especially when you compare it to some of the stuff in the men’s match) made this feel a lot less scripted.
And, best of all (well… okay, second-best, down to Alexa winning): NO ELLSWORTH!

KURT ANGLE & PAIGE BACKSTAGE- pointless, over-scripted idiotic waste of time banter. They then put over how nice the co-branded PPVs are. They hinted that Kurt was trying to sign Smackdown talent away. Okay… how does that makes sense with the way we’ve been told that this brand split works?
Then Baron Corbin showed up to yell at Kurt about not disappointing Steph. Paige then made fun of Corbin for losing MITB. This was stupid and pointless.

ROMAN RIEGNS vs. JINDER MAHAL (w/Sunil Singh)- 5.5/10
Sunil is sitting in a chair at ringside in a neckbrace and a sling. He was, predictably, faking his injuries, using them as a cover to attack an unsuspecting Roman from behind, and then running back to his wheelchair before the referee turned around.
The match had some exciting moments, but most of it was pretty boring. The crowd seemed to think so as well, seeing as how they spent most of the match doing the wave and chanting for guys who weren’t in the match.

WWE SMACKDOWN WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH: Carmella(c) vs. Asuka- 6.75/10
Well… when James Ellsworth didn’t show up during the women’s MITB match, you kind of had to figure that this would happen. The shocking part- and the thing that makes it even more frustrating- is that these two were actually having a really great character-driven babyface vs. heel match before Ellsworth showed up. I guess Asuka really can pull a good match out of anyone.

They announced a stadium show in Melbourne, Australia on October 6th which will be on PPV. Already booked is Triple H vs. Undertaker.

LAST MAN STANDING MATCH FOR THE WWE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: AJ Styles(c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura- 9.5/10
OUTSTANDING!
A wonderful story of two men who don’t like each and so badly wanted to be the one to put the other one down. The match build phenomenally, the selling was excellent, and they played off of the big theme of the feud, and managed to use the stipulations to imbue their blow-off match with a true feeling of finality. I truly believed that these two men would rather die than stay down and would never stay down so long as they were able to move.

WWE RAW WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH: Nia Jax(c) vs. Ronda Rousey- 6.25/10
Everyone was wondering what they would do here. Would Ronda just squash Nia? Would Nattie turn on Ronda and screw her out of the title? Would Steph screw Ronda out of the title as revenge for Ronda breaking her arm (for no reason, might I add) the night after WrestleMania?
Instead WWE did the crazy thing and just let these two have a professional wrestling match… and it was pretty good. They had their story (Ronda’s use of leverage and technique vs. Nia’s power, plus the question of Ronda’s ability to adapt to the WWE rule-set and Nia working over Ronda's back) and stuck to it 100% and did an excellent job of telling it.
That being said, this is a match I probably would have enjoyed a lot more in any other company. Quite frankly, even by the beginning of last week’s show I was sick and tired of hearing WWE beat the same points into the ground over and over about how Ronda has never been in a situation like this before, and WWE’s style of announcing has the announcers not so much call the match as keep beating those points into your head, occasionally using things that happen in the match as examples, so I found it pretty infuriating. Throw in gems like Michael Cole actually telling us to “remember: if Nia taps out here, she will lose the title,” or calling Ronda going to the rope by not only shouting that this is something we haven’t ever seen Ronda do before but then adding that the reason we haven’t seen her do it before is because “she didn’t do this at WrestleMania,” it was not fun to listen to. But then…
THE FINISH OF THE RAW WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH- no rating, excellent segment.
Ronda was just about to lock in the armbar on Nia, but Alexa Bliss! ran in and hit Ronda with the briefcase. Alexa beat the sh*t out of Ronda and Nia both. She pitched Ronda to the outside and worked over Nia’s injured arm with the briefcase. Then she contemplated cashing in, but instead she showed everyone why she is so much smarter than everyone else in WWE by first going back to the outside and making sure that Ronda was out of the way and hitting her with the briefcase some more, then tossing her over the announcers’ table. Then she got back into the ring, hit Nia some more, and cashed in her Money in the Bank contact. She worked on Nia’s arm, hit her with a DDT, hit Twisted Bliss, and won the title. Best MITB cash-in ever. Also, best Ronda Rousey match ever. And best Nia Jax match ever. Alexa is just that talented.

MEN’S MONEY IN THE BANK LADDER MATCH: Kevin Owens vs. Braun Strowman vs. Samoa Joe vs. The Miz vs. Bobby Roode vs. Finn Balor vs. Rusev vs. Kofi Kingston- 7/10
This certainly wasn’t bad at all, but I did find it a little disappointing for an MITB match in the main event spot. They did some cool stuff and had a bit of a story with everyone trying to gang up on Braun, but a lot of the stuff they did like the three-man accolade, and the “Strowman returns!” spot where he yanked on the ladder Balor was dragging felt way too cutesy. Also, they really should have had something bigger to put Roode, Miz, Kofi, and Balor down when Owens, Joe, and Rusev were trying to put Brawl through the table on the stage. A freakin’ dive onto a whole pile of dudes isn’t going to keep guys down for several minutes. Braun won, likely because, as James Hornsby of Botched Spot mentioned in his PPV prediction column, you just know WWE is WAY too in love with the phrase “Mr. Monster in the Bank” for them not to want to say it on every show from now through eternity.

A GREAT show from WWE, and it wasn’t just the Ladder Matches propping it up (although the women’s MITB was a big part of that). The stuff that I thought would deliver mostly came through, while most of the other matches exceeded expectations, leaving the only really bad match being the Zayn vs. Lashley match which we knew wasn’t going to go well, and Roman vs. Jinder which wasn’t bad so much as just pretty dull for the time it got. We got some pretty surprising results with all of Alexa’s victories, Bryan winning his second straight PPV match over Cass, and AJ retaining the title, and a night of pretty darn solid matches. For the first time in a long time, I’m relatively excited for Raw tomorrow night.

STUPID ANNOUNCER QUOTES:
1. Coach (about Rollins pulling The Drifter’s tights on the finish to the IC Title match)- “It’s very difficult to criticize Seth Rollins for pulling that one out of his bag tonight.”
No it’s not. He cheated, and cheating is wrong.

2. Coach (as Nia had Ronda in a bear hug) - “This is actually benefiting Ronda. It is giving her a chance to catch her breath.”
Why was he not immediately summoned to the Gorilla Position and then summarily fired?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews WWE Money in the Bank 2018 (GREAT!)

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 18th, '18, 09:18

SHUT UP about Alexa Bliss lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 18th, '18, 10:47

If I'm honest...she's not really that far above the Miz or very different as far as a general assessment.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 18th, '18, 11:03

KILLdozer wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 10:47 If I'm honest...she's not really that far above the Miz or very different as far as a general assessment.
a lot of people love Miz for some reason tho

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 18th, '18, 11:38

KILLdozer wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 10:47 If I'm honest...she's not really that far above the Miz or very different as far as a general assessment.
Yes, the characters are very similar, but while Miz's arrogance revolves more around his "I'm a movie star" gimmick, Alexa's is more of a traditional pro wrestling chickensh*t heel arrogance... and yet she also occasionally shows that she can back her talk up at times.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » Jun 18th, '18, 12:40

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 11:38
Yes, the characters are very similar, but while Miz's arrogance revolves more around his "I'm a movie star" gimmick, Alexa's is more of a traditional pro wrestling chickensh*t heel arrogance... and yet she also occasionally shows that she can back her talk up at times.
She said far more of a Ric Flair heel from back in the day.

Talk a big game. Does a bit of chickenshit heel stuff but ultimately proves she’s the smartest and wins the big matches.

Not the same as The Miz.
Have A Nice Day!

XIV

Post by XIV » Jun 18th, '18, 12:41

XIV wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 12:40
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 11:38
I’d say she’s far more of a Ric Flair heel from back in the day.

Talk a big game. Does a bit of chickenshit heel stuff but ultimately proves she’s the smartest and wins the big matches.

Not the same as The Miz.
Have A Nice Day!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 19th, '18, 04:43

No. I'm not talking kayfabe character. I mean assessment as a wrestler. Slightly better than others with charisma and stuff, but nowhere near as good in the ring. That's it. Just like the Miz. 💁

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 20th, '18, 16:06

100 percent serious btw. At least she's fresher than he is though and not as wore out as a character.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 20th, '18, 17:34

KILLdozer wrote: Jun 20th, '18, 16:06 100 percent serious btw. At least she's fresher than he is though and not as wore out as a character.
She's certainly not great in the ring, but I think she is certainly in the top half of WWE's current main roster crop (and certainly the best home-grown female they have other than Charlotte), and she's probably the single best female promo on the main roster (it's either her Mickie James, or Ruby Riott). I definitely would like them to actually give her, like twenty minutes with Sasha or Nattie just to see what she can do with that kind of time.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 20th, '18, 22:29

The "top half" is extremely crowded and Idk if I'd put her in it. You've got (probably in this order somewhat) Asuka, Sasha, Becky Lynch, Natalya, Bailey, Charlotte, Peyton Royce isn't horrible, And others.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 20th, '18, 23:32

KILLdozer wrote: Jun 20th, '18, 22:29 The "top half" is extremely crowded and Idk if I'd put her in it. You've got (probably in this order somewhat) Asuka, Sasha, Becky Lynch, Natalya, Bailey, Charlotte, Peyton Royce isn't horrible, And others.
Better than Alexa in the ring (in no particular order):
Charlotte
Sasha
Becky
Nattie
Asuka
Ruby Riott
Mickie James
Ember Moon
Bayley

Worse than Alexa:
Peyton Royce (maybe she's at Alexa's level or better, but she's never been able to show it)
Nikki Bella
Sarah Logan
Tamina
Lana
Naomi
Dana Brooke
Tamina
Alicia Fox
Billie Kay
Sonya Deville
Mandy Rose
Nia Jax
Liv Morgan
Carmella

Too soon tell:
Ronda Rousey

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 21st, '18, 09:39

I never thought Alicia Fox was that bad. Not necessarily the greatest...but better than a lot.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 21st, '18, 10:19

KILLdozer wrote: Jun 21st, '18, 09:39 I never thought Alicia Fox was that bad. Not necessarily the greatest...but better than a lot.
There was a point in, like 2011, where i would have said that, but she's become a total botch machine over the past few years.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 21st, '18, 11:50

Also though, I'm not sure why she's champion as much as she is when there's better choices.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 21st, '18, 11:51

KILLdozer wrote: Jun 21st, '18, 11:50 Also though, I'm not sure why she's champion as much as she is when there's better choices.
For a trash-talking chicken-sh*t who can effectively run away from Ronda until SummerSlam? Who on Raw is a better choice?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 21st, '18, 11:56

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 21st, '18, 11:51
KILLdozer wrote: Jun 21st, '18, 11:50 Also though, I'm not sure why she's champion as much as she is when there's better choices.
For a trash-talking chicken-sh*t who can effectively run away from Ronda until SummerSlam? Who on Raw is a better choice?
That's exactly what I thought after writing it. That takes me back to my original point of the fact there's a better way to go than "Ronda over everybody."

I'm admittedly biased for good reason, but just let Sasha run with it forever already. Charlotte is out of her way so get her out of Baileyland or crank that all the way and throw the title in.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 21st, '18, 12:10

KILLdozer wrote: Jun 21st, '18, 11:56
That's exactly what I thought after writing it. That takes me back to my original point of the fact there's a better way to go than "Ronda over everybody."

I'm admittedly biased for good reason, but just let Sasha run with it forever already. Charlotte is out of her way
But now Ronda is in her way.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 21st, '18, 12:18

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 21st, '18, 12:10

I'm admittedly biased for good reason, but just let Sasha run with it forever already. Charlotte is out of her way
Like I said, "Ronda over everybody." This is the kinda blatantly bad decision making that is obviously the wrong move.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 21st, '18, 12:33

KILLdozer wrote: Jun 21st, '18, 12:18
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 21st, '18, 12:10

Like I said, "Ronda over everybody." This is the kinda blatantly bad decision making that is obviously the wrong move.
I'd like to say that it's wrong... but I'm not sure it is.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation