BRM Reviews WWE Battleground 2015 (great!)

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews WWE Battleground 2015 (great!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 19th, '15, 21:18

WWE Battleground 2015 (7/19/2015)- St. Louis, MO

PRE-SHOW:
WINNER GETS THE KING OF THE RING CROWN: Wade Barrett vs. R-Truth- 4.75/10
They did a decent job of playing off of their previous finishes. Lawler spent the entire match trying to get over jokes about Barrett having a large nose. And they weren’t even clever jokes, either! He just said things like “If Bray Wyatt sung a song about Wade Barrett, it’d be ‘He’s got the whole world in his nose.’” If you absolutely MUST do that, at least come up with something funny like “Wade Barrett’s nose-guard size is an HHH cup.

RANDY ORTON vs. SHEAMUS- 7/10
Great way to start off a PPV.

JOJO INTERVIEWS STEPH- Steph is given all of the credit for all of the success of the NXT women. Every time they show footage of this big moment, it utterly infuriates me because of how much Steph’s involvement ruined it.
We will get a three-way tonight with one woman from each faction.

WWE TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Prime Time Players(c) vs. The New Day (w/Xavier Woods)- 5.75/10
Xavier was VERY entertaining on the outside. He really helped to make the match more fun.

TEAM BABYFACES BACKSTAGE- once again, we need to make sure that all credit goes to Stephanie. I think they determined that Charlotte would wrestle.

BRAY WYATT vs. ROMAN REIGNS- 4/10
Like a brawl but with no intensity. SOOO boring. Then it ended in interference when Luke Harper rejoined the Wyatt Family because it only took WWE nine months to fix something that everyone could have told us was a mistake from day one.

JOJO INTERVIEWS B.A.D.- well at least they found something better than “Best at Dominating.” Not that “Beautiful and Dangerous” is much better, but at least it’s a bit better. Sasha will be wrestling for their team.

TRIPLE THREAT MATCH: Sasha Banks (w/Naomi & Tamina) vs. Charlotte (w/Becky Lynch & Paige) vs. Brie Bella (w/Nikki Bella & Alicia Fox)- 7/10
And of course the new girls all enter to the established divas’ music. FAIL!
This was the best main-roster women’s match in a VERY long time. That being said, I think they made a few mistakes (aside from the music). This was both Charlotte and Sasha’s first main-roster match (we’re just retconning out that three minute loss to Nattie, okay?). They did a lot of spots that I as an NXT fan appreciated, but they didn’t do a good job of educating fans who don’t watch NXT to their basic spots. Instead they did variations on those spots, which would have gotten bigger pops if they had educated the audience to them. Also, Brie is supposed to be the heel! Whoever came up with the idea of having her do Dragon’s kick spot should be flogged. But in the end, the match was good enough that I don’t think anyone can possibly argue that it didn’t accomplish its goals. They treated the match like it was important, gave it time (twelve minutes) and didn’t stick it in the death spot.

WWE UNITED STATES TITLE MATCH: John Cena(c) vs. Kevin Owens- 8.5/10
An awesome match with a few GREAT false finishes, but ultimately the wrong guy went over. They had better have something BIG for Owens for Summer Slam.

MIZ SEGMENT (& BIG SHOW APPEARANCE)- would have been fine on Raw tomorrow night. Not good for a PPV.

WWE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Seth Rollins(c) vs. Brock Lesnar (w/Paul Heyman)- 5.25/10
Was the post-match segment great? Yes. But when it comes down to it, this was a decently short main event that didn’t even have a finish. Taker just showed up and magically turned everything into a post-match segment with no Rollins and no referee.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- great!
Taker shows up and beats down Brock. I LOVED that Taker got the advantage after a low blow. It felt very un-Taker-like and immediately let you know that this time would be different.

Even with the main event being what it was and the boring Reigns vs. Wyatt match, this show still managed to be great.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews WWE Battleground 2015 (great!)

Post by cero2k » Jul 20th, '15, 09:55

great wrestling, terrible everything else. That Taker ending makes no sense, even as a heel, old man taker needs to go

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 20th, '15, 10:00

cero2k wrote:great wrestling, terrible everything else. That Taker ending makes no sense, even as a heel, old man taker needs to go
I thought he looked pretty good, all things considered. The execution of the ending made no sense, but there is some sense in Taker wanting revenge on Brock for both breaking The Streak and breaking his brother's ankle.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 20th, '15, 10:06

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:great wrestling, terrible everything else. That Taker ending makes no sense, even as a heel, old man taker needs to go
I thought he looked pretty good, all things considered. The execution of the ending made no sense, but there is some sense in Taker wanting revenge on Brock for both breaking The Streak and breaking his brother's ankle.
he better have a kick ass promo as to why he now suddenly cares about a streak from 2 yrs ago (considering he's been back already) aand why he suddenly cares about protecting kane for once