NWK reviews Backlash 2009

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
NWK2000

NWK reviews Backlash 2009

Post by NWK2000 » Mar 20th, '14, 21:50

Going into the PPV, my thoughts
I've always been a big fan of Backlash, because it gave the Mania feuds more time, some of which were better than their Mania counterparts. This particular one stands out in my mind simply because of Steamboat vs. Jericho. Even though the main event is a 6-man Tag for the WWE Title, I can't help but feel largely optimistic about this, especially because because it's a redo of WM25, which may or may not have been one of the best Mania's ever. Okay here we go!

We get a video package pretty much explaining why Backlash is called Backlash, and a match hyping Triple H vs Orton, while explaining the intertwining of Shane McMahon and Batista in the feud. Other matches highlighted are John Cena vs Edge in a Last Man Standing match, and the Hardy Brothers fighting each other again.

Christian vs. Jack Swagger for the ECW Championship.
- Man, young Jack Swagger was a dork
-Again someone blocks Christian's turnbuckle kick. Hooray!
- Jack Swagger looks like a legit powerhouse and a real threat to Christian here.
7.75/10 in a surprisingly solid open

Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat vs Chris Jericho
- We get a lot of cool spots early on, such as skin the cat and a crossbody from Steamboat
- We even get a false Codebreaker finish
- And while I'm sure the end was the result of notorious nice guy Steamboat wanting to put Jericho over, I really wanted Steamboat to win :/
7.5/10, would've been right up there with the first match if Steamboat had won.
Kane vs. CM Punk
-The whole basis for this feud is that Kane feels screwed out of MITB by fellow match participant CM Punk. I love simple booking like this.
-Punk trying to close the gap between him and Kane was great.
-Really sick rope assisted armbar.
-Kane tries to chokeslam Punk outside of the ring, but Punk gets on the apron from it, and counters with a springboard clothesline, awesome.
-Punk gets sliding dropkicked into the ringpost.
- Kane hits adouble armed chokeslam with two arms after a huge kicking combo by Punk for the win.
8.75/10 great match that I suggest looking up on its own.

We get a video package, Matt Hardy says beating him at WM25 wasn't enough, he has to erase him from the WWE, Jeff's end of the promo was much less sensical, basically saying he'll be crazier for this match
Props to the jackass with the "I want Hardy to win" sign.
Matt Hardy vs. Jeff Hardy
-Props to King for noticing that this match was so serious that Jeff wasn't gonna put face paint on
-Good brawl so far
-Apparently the ref can use his own discresion to call for a "Quit" (this is an I Quit match btw)
- Jeff locks in a Sleeper Hold, and Matt looks like he's legit choking
-Unexpected leg working from Matt Hardy
-Not one, but two Swantons and a table
-Duct tape spot, a classic wrestling spot since time immortal
-Now he's tying Matt to the table with a rope, what's next, is he going to run him over with a train?
-Nevermind, he's going to jump off a ladder.
-Now MATT's begging for mercy and feeling helpless, great way to blow off this feud.
-Matt apologizes, says he loves Matt, and that brothers have the strongest bond. He says our mom wouldn't want this, and then Dad is home worried sick.
-Matt quits, and Jeff still jumps off the ladder.
6.5/10 would've been closer to the 5.5 range if not for Matt's acting in the finish.

Randy Orton has an interview, and says that HHH's team can't work together long term, and tells him not to DQed (this again)? I really don't care enough to pay attention.

Khali Kiss cam segment. He wants Santina Marella, a persona which caused Beth to break up with Santina and be pissed. How does no one realize that that is Santino. Santina says that Jim Ross has been courting him Runjin says that he has to kiss Jim Ross. Beth comes down and challenges Santina for the Miss Wrestlemania crown. Khali gets mad for interrrupting the Kiss Cam. Beth seems to be the only person who realizes that Santina=Santino, insults Khali for even finding Santina ttractive. Khali Chops beth and shoves he down, Santina goes for the pin and retains her crown.
Khali rips off Khali's bra, and Santina runs screaming, what is this segment even?

We get a segment for the six man ag, pretty much reiterating what Orton said in the promo, that HHH's team can't work together and wants Orton so badly that they're going to do something stupid and give Orton the championship.
I've never noticed this before, but there are six minature screens playing mini-trons that's off putting
Why did they give away an Orton/HHH match away on Raw?

Legacy vs. Triple H, Shane McMahon, and Batista
-The babyfaces take shots at Orton, then HHH beats him up the ramp, comes back without Orton, and the match starts
-Apparently Orton can pin any member of the babyface team, but HHH can only pin Orton. Ths great feud may have been entirely ruined by dumb stipulations.
- Great double team moves with Shane
-Props to Ted Dibiase shouting "Put 'em down!" at Batista during a stalling suplex on Rhodes
-And here's Orton, does some cheaty stuff, ddt, now Batista's the face in peril
-Shane is so entertaining, his footwork is insane.
-Shane teases an announce table spot and now HE'S the babyface in peril.
-HHH finally gets in, and a miscue by Batista and HHH causes an RKO and a punt and Orton's the champ?
-Very interesting to see the heel get the upperhand in the blowoff.
4.5/10, but if it's any consolation, this ups Vengeance 2009 up to the top of my watch list.

Triple H gets stretchered out with guilty looking Batista looking on.

We get an overall Cena/Edge video package, Edge being the crazy, desperate heel who can't seem to beat Cena no matter what he does.
Edge vs John Cena for the WHC, Last Man Standing Match
-Edge focuses on Cena's head, which, makes sense because equilibrium
- I finally understand why Big Red Machine hates Last Man Standing match, it has the potential to have some abyssmal pacing.
-Lawler says that Edge would have to break Cena's legs to beat him. Why has THAT never happened in an LMS match
-Curse you Big Red Machine for ruining the phrase "No Rules" in wrestling for me.
-Edge sets up Cena against the steps, goes for a spear, and hits the steps instead because Cena went out of the way, what was he thinking?
-Lots of innovative steel steps spots.
-An off the top rope AA that actually went well
- An attitude Adjustmen off the announce table into the crowd.
-The run around all of the arena, and get down to the stage
-Cena comes back from con chair to
- The chokeslam into the spotlight wa super cool even though it looked fake as hell
7.5/10
Final thoughts
With one match going below a 6, and Edge/Cena completely defying expectation, not to mention creating a great ending to the PPV, as well as the first three matches, which is all could qualify as as show stealers, this is the best PPV since WM17 of that era. Buy the DVD if you can.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Re: NWK reviews Backlash 2009

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 20th, '14, 22:42

Best PPV since WM 17?
Boy do I have some recommendations for you:
Summer Slam 2002
Survivor Series 2002
Wrestlemania 19
Bad Blood 2004
Royal Rumble 2007
Wrestlemania XXIV
TLC 2010
Money in the Bank 2011
Summer Slam 2011
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Mar 21st, '14, 01:18

RR 07 is on my list to review as a matter of fact. Maybe my expectations were a little low though, because most of 2009 sucked for WWE.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 21st, '14, 06:16

NWK2000 wrote:RR 07 is on my list to review as a matter of fact. Maybe my expectations were a little low though, because most of 2009 sucked for WWE.
Can't wait to see what you thin of Cena vs. Umaga. PERFECT match, IMO.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Mar 21st, '14, 12:58

Big Red Machine wrote:
NWK2000 wrote:RR 07 is on my list to review as a matter of fact. Maybe my expectations were a little low though, because most of 2009 sucked for WWE.
Can't wait to see what you thin of Cena vs. Umaga. PERFECT match, IMO.
I got the show on DVD relatively soon after it came ou ton DVD. Cena vs Umaga is in fact one of my favorite matches ever.