BRM Reviews the 9/7/2022 Dyanmite

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 9/7/2022 Dyanmite

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 9th, '22, 00:46

OPENING-
Excalibur tells us that there was an “absolutely shocking conclusion” to All Out, and then we get a video package about MJF’s return.
Excalibur said “speaking of titles…” and then pitched to…

A PRE-RECORDED MESSAGE FROM TONY KHAN-
Tony was loudly booed. He said that “following All Out, I have been forced to vacate the AEW World Championship and the AEW World Trios Championship.” Not even a kayfabe explanation (like claiming an injury).
He announced that in our opener, we will crown new AEW Trios Champions (Death Triangle vs. Beth Friends).
For the world championship, we’re getting a tournament, culminating at Dynamite Grand Slam on September 21st. It works like an NFL playoff bracket. Your first-round matches are Bryan Danielson vs. Adam Page and Darby Allin vs. Sammy Guevara. The people getting buys are Chris Jericho and Jon Moxley. I think it would make more sense for Mox and Page to have gotten the buys (as former world champions who are theoretically owed rematches), but I will give AEW credit for explaining (in their graphic) why everyone involved was in the tournament (if it were me, I would have noted that Sammy has the most TNT Title reigns rather than just saying is a three-time champion, but that’s a minor thing).
Tony promises us that it will be a great show, and that AEW will be at its best the nest few weeks.
So basically, Tony just told us “this is what’s happening,” figuring that everyone knows why. Personally, I would want some kayfabe explanation, because otherwise, within kayfabe, it’s an arbitrary decision to strip the titles. I can totally understand why Tony did it the way he did (it’s basically asking us to accept the new status quo and just move on and please don’t think about it during the show), but it’s not what I would have done.

MJF PROMO- good
He’s acting like a big bayface, including wearing the jersey of the local football team, and the fans are eating it up. Now he’s fake apologizing for being mean to them in the past… and they’re buying it. MJF says that he is going to “work smart, not hard,” so instead of being in the tournament, he’ll just have the title shot he won last night whenever he wanted it. MJF cut a good promo saying that he’ll win the title.
Moxley came out and said that MJF was full of crap… and the fans booed. MJF was right the first time: they are a bunch of dumb marks.
MJF switched back into blatant heel mode and insulted the fans. He said that he was just going to use the world title as a bargaining chip, and said he’d go to WWE. He said that Triple was his personal hero (among other things). Moxley told him to leave the ring right now, or else. MJF made like he was going to fight Moxley, but then backed down. Once again, I don’t understand how the fans bought that he was going to fight Mox right now.

JON MOXLEY PROMO- FANTASTIC!
Moxley cut a Promo of the Year Candidate about what the AEW World Title meant to him… but there is one thing here that will keep me from voting for this for Promo of the Year, and that’s the fact that at no point did he say that having the belt mean that you were the best (which is what he had been arguing during his recent title run… and what the felt actually does kayfabe mean).

MATCH FOR THE VACANT AEW WORLD TRIOS TITLES: Best Friends (w/Danhausen) vs. Death Triangle (w/Alex Abrahantes)- 6.5/10
They did flips. They also fought on the outside FOREVER without getting counted out. I don’t understand why it is so hard for some people to understand that if your match has count-outs, you can’t do a big dive off the stage. They got back into the ring, and proceeded to do ten more minutes of flips.

We were told that Dark Order were considered for this match due to the great fight they put up, but that they can’t wrestle because Alex Reynolds was injured.

Excalibur announced that at Dynamite Grand Slam, Swerve in Our Glory will defend the AEW World Tag Team Titles against… the guys who they just beat cleanly and decisively.

TONY SCHIAVONE’S INTERVIEW WITH DARK ORDER IS INTERRUPTED BY JOSE THE ASSISTANT- bad
Tony asked the how they felt about not being able to compete for the trios titles against tonight. Jose tried to get 10 to sign with the AFO. Uno got physical with Jose… and then Silver did, too, completely unnecessary. Laughing after shoving Jose made Silver come across like a cartoon bully.
Andrade and Rush then showed up. Silver remained an annoying cartoon clown. I really hope someone gets into a shoot fight with John Silver after tonight’s show so I never have to see him again, either. Andrade gave 10 a crutch.

FOOTAGE OF JAMIE HAYTER & BRITT BAKER ARGUING AFTER LAST NIGHT’S SHOW- Britt tried to apologize, but Hayter didn’t want to hear it.

AEW INTERIM WOMEN’S WORLD TITLE ELIMINATOR MATCH: AEW Interim Women’s World Champion Toni Storm vs. Penelope Ford (w/Kip Sabian)- 5.75/10
This was a decent match, but the finish didn’t look very good. Toni won cleanly.
Why is Sabian still wearing that stupid box over his head?

2.0 VS. ACTION BRONSON & HOOK VIDEO PACKAGE- as good as something can be involving 2.0.

SHANE STRICKLAND INTERRUPTS THE ACCLAIMED ON THE RAMP- bad
Remember a few weeks ago when Strickland (and Keith Lee) respected the Acclaimed so much that they offered to give them a title shot? Well now Swerve doesn’t respect them off a sudden, and is a total asshole. Apparently Tony Khan’s definition of “character development” is “I’ve developed an idea to turn this character.”
Bowens then cut a promo saying that they are the uncrowned champions (which is laughable) and thanking all of the fans for getting them a title shot. How about you earn one by winning some maches?

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS CHRIS JERICHO & SAMMY GUEVARA- great
Tay Conti and Anna Jay were also there. Hager and 2.0 were not. Jericho cut great promos for the groups’ various angle. He seemed to completely discount the possibility of Adam Page beating Bryan Danielson tonight (he outright said he would face Danielson next week). The fans treated him like a huge babyface, even though he cheated to beat Bryan Danielson.
Jericho insisting that his is “my locker room” was a little weird.

We were shown Wardlow walking through gorilla, where he bitchily yelled at someone for not having his music playing already.

AEW TNT TITLE MATCH: Wardlow(c) vs. Tony Nese (w/Mark Sterling)- squash. You know what? No. We’ve hit Ascension territory. Any Wardlow squashes are no longer squashes, but rather DUDs, because they’re pointless. Will already know he’s a monster. We’ve seen him be a monster for three years now. These are just wastes of time. Did Tony even have a plan past “he’ll beat MJF and then we’ll put the TV Title on him” when he made the decision to turn Wardlow babyface? Because he’s had the title for three months now and hasn’t done sh*t.

Tony Nese earned this title shot by… um…
I mean really! The previous match featured someone with a lot more credibility in her division having to win a match to earn a title shot, but total loser Tony Nese is just given one. He can’t even get a televised entrance, but he can get a title shot.
I don’t buy for a second that Tony Nese has only lost seven singles matches in AEW. It feels like he loses all the time.
Anyway, Wardlow squashed Nese. Then, FOR ABSOLUELY NO F*CKING REASON, Wardlow went to attack Nese after the match. Mark Sterling bravely put himself in harm’s way by attempting to distract Wardlow, so Wardlow went after Nese. Fortunately, Josh Woods came out and pulled him to safety. How could anyone possibly want to see Wardlow succeed when he does sh*t like this?
Wardlow then cut a promo in which he said he would dispel the belief that he has lost his moment. He then said his dumb catchphrase.

DARBY ALLIN VS. SAMMY GUEVARA VIDEO PACKAGE/DARBY ALLIN PROMO- good
He says he’ll leave Sting in the back, and challenges Sammy Guevara to leave his pals in the back as well.

AEW WORLD TITLE TOURNAMENT “WILDCARD ROUND” MATCH: Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson- 8.5/10
William Regal was on commentary for this match. They had an excellent match, which Dragon won via roll-up.

JUNGLE BOY VIDEO PACKAGE PROMO- mostly great
Oh yeah. In all of the craziness, I had totally forgotten that Luchasaurus had turned on Jungle Boy. Jungle Boy vowed revenge on both of them. I thought he came off like kind of a dick when he took credit for all of the team’s success, but other than that, this was great.

STOKELY HATHAWAY PROMO- bad segment (Stokely’s words were good, though)
The company should not be putting a clearly ridiculous claim to be the “king of Ladder matches” in their graphics. MJF was not out with him, but the rest of the crew was. Morrissey was standing way behind everyone else.
Almost as soon as Stokely began to talk, some production person gave him the signal to wrap it up. Stokely found this very disrespectful, while he obviously shouldn’t have put his hands on the poor guy, I think he was quite right to be pissed. When have we ever seen that happen to anyone else? And to do so right after he started speaking? Why did management even send him out there in the first place, then? And if the idea is that he barged out there without permission, why didn’t they just cut the mic?
Anyway, Stokely and his friends then assaulted this poor man who was only doing his job. This happens far too frequently in AEW, and there are never any consequences for it. So they beat this guy up… and then Stokely, who was upset he was being told that he couldn’t say what he wanted to say… didn’t say anything.

On Rampage, Dax Hardwood, the tag team wrestler who has been put in a bunch of singles matches and lost almost all of them… is getting an ROH World Title shot. Tony Khan does realize that in real sports, you need to win matches to make to the championship, right? I know that sounds like I’m being mean, but he does own and manage the Jacksonville Jaguars, and based on the way things have gone for them, I think it’s a legitimate question.

DAX HARDWOOD VS. CLAUDIO CASTAGNOLI VIDEO PACKAGE- fine

ROH PURE TITLE MATCH: Wheeler YUTA(c) vs. Dainel Garcia- 7/10
Garcia got a musical entrance, and this is the main event in his home town. There is no way he’s losing.
Both Regal and Caprice Coleman were on commentary for this match. Our three judges were Matt Sydal, BJ Whitmer, and Jerry Lynn. Excalibur said they were “all former Ring of Honor champions.” That’s true, but the way he phrased it made it sound like he meant the ROH World Title, which would not be true.
Could they really not get the clock and graphics for the ropebreaks on the screen? ROH does it, and they own ROH!
There might have been more German Suplexes in this match than there were flips in the opener. Garcia won cleanly. But Garcia winning cleanly wasn’t enough, apparently, because not only dd Garcia wrestle and win cleanly, but YUTA, a babyface ROH Pure Champion, threw a closed-fist punch for no real reason.
Anyway, Garcia won, and the crowd were all very happy because Garcia is from the same place as them.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- very good
Bryan Danielson came out and snatched the belt away, but then strapped it around Daniel Garcia’s waist. Only once Danielson was out there did Chris Jericho also come out. Dragon offered Garcia a handshake and Garcia took it. Dragon raised Garcia’s hand in victory, while Jericho got angry on the ramp.

This was a meh show from AEW. Obviously, Tony deserves some slack this week, as I’m sure a bunch of things had to be re-booked, but a lot of the stuff that involved people far away from where the Bucks, Kenny, and Punk were was very bland, and both the opener and the main event could have been a lot better.

One positive is that AEW did a much better job of making sure they gave some attention to the fallout form he majority of the PPV matches than they usually do. Hopefully that continues.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3