BRM Reviews the 7/1/2022 Rampage

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 7/1/2022 Rampage

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 5th, '22, 22:13

TWO-RING BATTLE ROYALE FOR A SHOT AT THE INTERIM AEW WORLD TITLE- 6/10
This was done like one of those old WCW two-ring battle royale where each person is assigned to a ring, and then the winners of each ring face off in a battle royale… except AEW had to waste our time by doing the entrance Royal Rumble-style.
Sting accompanied Darby Allin to the ring. Has Sting even lost in AEW? How is he not in the battle royale?
The match was mostly a non-descript battle royale. Rush made his AEW in-ring debut in this here battle royale. I kind of want to see him win, just to see Moxley stiff him if Rush tries any of his bullsh*t.
I thought the spot with Lee and Strickland having a stare-down would have worked a lot better in a regular battle royale. Doing it with the two-ring rules just made Lee look silly for getting distracted by someone in the other ring.
Penta and Rush eliminated each other. Andrade through a chair at Penta afterwards. Brody King and Darby Allin were the last two. Brody won, so on Wednesday, Jon Moxley will defend the title against a midcarder who might not have ever won a singles match on TV.

ALEX MARVEZ INTERVIEWS HOOK- terrible
For the eighteenth week in a row, AEW sends someone to interview Hook even though he clearly doesn’t want to talk. Hook gets fed up with Marvez and grabs him by the tie, causing Mattel to threaten to yank their sponsorship. He then said something to Marvez that sounded like Aleister Black gobbledygook.

IF CHAOS WIN, THEY GET AN AEW WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE SHOT: CHAOS (Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI) vs. the Young Bucks- 7.5/10
Excalibur claimed that Goto & YOSHI-HASHI have “a lot of momentum” after their win against the Factory on Sunday. The Factory. I was happy to see the Bucks just win cleanly here.

JONATHAN GRESHAM VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- good

MARK HENRY INTERVIEWS THE PEOPLE IN THE MAIN EVENT- okay
Nyla Rose was good, although I have no idea how she became the #1 contender. Toni Storm was okay

TONI STORM vs. NYLA ROSE (w/Marina Shafir)- 5.5/10
Toni overcame the size difference and attempted interference to win cleanly.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- snore
Babyface gets jumped after the match. Thunder Rosa makes the save.

A passable episode of Rampage.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3