BRM Reviews the 10/8/2021 Rampage

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 10/8/2021 Rampage

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 11th, '21, 19:57

Jericho is on commentary. Crap. Look… I enjoyed Craig from Parks and Rec. as much as the next person, but I don’t need him on commentary for my wrestling show!

MARK HENRY’S SPLIT-SCREEN INTERVIEWS WITH DANIEL GARCIA, 2.0, & CM PUNK- meh

CM PUNK vs. DANIEL GARCIA (w/2.0)- 6.5/10
Daniel Garcia is on a four-match winning streak. It’d be nice to maybe put at least one of those matches on TV so he can feel like even a low-level threat going into this match. Or so that we can at least know what his finisher is so that we can be on the lookout for it.
This was a good match, but I think it would have done a lot more for Garcia if he hadn’t had to have help from 2.0 to cut Punk off.

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS LIO RUSH, MATT SYDAL, & DANTE MARTIN- odd
Apparently Dante accepted Lio’s offer. It would have been nice to do that on-screen. Sydal thinks that Lio is a snake-oil salesman. Lio responds by accusing Sydal of not being able to pull his weight. He offers to get Sydal a match against CM Punk, and all of a sudden Sydal goes from the skeptical veteran babyface to the youngster eager to prove his worth.

AEW WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Lucha Bros.(c) (w/Alex Abrahantes) vs. the Acclaimed- 4/10
Abrahantes looks like a Hispanic Phil Dumphy, trying to be cool with the Lucha Bros. It’s embarrassing. There is no reason for him to come out to ringside with them. Also coming out with the Lucha Bros. were the AAA tag titles. They’ve had those belts forever and they never brought them out with them and them being champions was never acknowledged… until last week when someone decided they needed them for an angle, at which point they now start bringing them out to ringside with them.

The Acclaimed jumped the bell on the Lucha Bros. The Lucha Bros. quickly gained control and did a bunch of moves. Fenix took a flip bump for a superkick, which looked idiotic.
Speaking of idiotic, at one point Jericho told us that if the Acclaimed won the titles tonight, we would “see it for the first time ever” tonight. In other words, if you watched this “live” show, when you saw something happen on that show, it would be the first time anyone ever saw it. No sh*t. This was a Beth Phoenix-esque level of starting a sentence without any idea in mind of how you’re going to end it.
This was a bunch of moves, and most of those moves were done by the Lucha Bros., so it did nothing to elevate the Acclaimed.

JADE CARGILL PROMO- meh

SKY BLUE vs. JADE CARILL (w/Mark Sterling)- no rating, meh segment
Jade is ranked #1 in the division. The Acclaimed weren’t even ranked one week ago, but managed to jump to #1 AND get a title shot within a week. I’ll bet you anything Jade doesn’t get her title shot any time soon, even though she has a manager who is supposed to be doing that sort of thing for her. I wonder if Detail Guy Tony Khan actually has an answer for this sort of thing. I should make a Twitter and ask him.
Jade squashed the geek with the stupid name. She went to attack her after the match because the booker needed a reason for Thunder Rosa to come charging out with a chair to chase her away so we could build up a singles match between those two. If this had been Nyla Rose or The Bunny or someone with a track-record of doing this sort of thing, I wouldn’t have batted an eye, but Jade rarely (if ever) does this sort of thing, so this felt a little forced.

MARK HENRY’S SPLIT-SCREEN INTERVIEW WITH THE BRIAN CAGE AND RICKY STARKS- good
Starks was good… and, believe it or not, so was Cage.

PHILADELPHIA STREET FIGHT FOR THE FTW TITLE: Ricky Starks(c) vs. Brian Cage- 7/10
They hit each other with stuff. Starks needed help from Team Taz to win… which is exactly what happened in their previous match, so 1) Cage is an idiot for agreeing to a weapons match, and 2) the story has gone nowhere.

This was a meh episode of Rampage. Decent action, but ultimately skippable.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3