BRM Reviews the 10/1/2021 Rampage

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 10/1/2021 Rampage

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 3rd, '21, 22:41

Our commentary team tonight is just Excalibur and Taz, which is easily the best pair AEW has. Jericho’ absence is explained by him still recovering from the beating he took from American Top Team.

BRYAN DANIELSON vs. NICK JACKSON (w/Matt Jackson & Brandon Cutler)- 8/10
Dragon’s head got worked over. He was an excellent babyface. I was SOOO happy to see the Cattle Mutilation for the win again!

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
Cole and Kenny came out to check on Nick. The babyfaces learned their lesson from last time, so Christian, Luchasaurus, and Jungle Boy just came out right away so the heels couldn’t attack Bryan afterward. Punches were thrown, and the brawl ended with Jungle Boy having Cole tapping and Dragon having Kenny tapping. I don’t know that I would have gone that far, but I don’t think it matters much in this case. These two foursomes have an eight-man tag on Dynamite.

RICKY STARKS VIDEO PACKAGE- decent
I had totally forgotten he was feuding with Brian Cage. Having Hobbs and Hook pitch to this was strange, and made them feel secondary (which is fine for Hook, but not for Hobbs).

CM PUNK VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- good

THUNDER ROSA vs. NYLA ROSE (w/Vickie Guerrero) vs. JADE CARGILL (w/Mark Sterling)- 6.25/10
They kept advertising this as having no DQs, but apparently that’s not a special stipulation. It’s just a consequence of it being a three-way match. I was really hoping AEW would do what ROH has done and have DQs in multi-person matches where you just eject the offender from the match. It makes so much more sense than this “well, we can’t figure out who to give the win to, so we’ll just let everything be legal” approach that WWE has taken (and that AEW has now followed).
Ricky Starks was on commentary for this match. He doesn’t add anything.
Jade is coming into this match at 15-0. You can add her to the list of “explain to me how this person/team hasn’t gotten a title shot yet?”
They did a bunch of weapons spots. Jade didn’t look completely comfortable using a chair, but it wasn’t quite enough to take me out of the match. She got the win after hitting Thunder Rosa in the back with a chair a bunch of times. I can see some people thinking the finish was weak, but I think you need to do something like this every once in a while if you want chairs to feel like real threats.

MALAKAI BLACK PROMO- mostly great
My only issue with this is that whole hokey mist thing. It’s something that I think should have been left in the past.

SAMMY GUEVARA VIDEO PACKAGE- meh
Hey! Bobby Fish is coming in!
Brodie Lee is apparently the “greatest TNT Champion of all time,” despite having had a small number of defenses, only one of which was any good. You know… because he later got sick and died. You can appreciate and honor someone without blowing their accolades out of proportion! This is just like what WWE does!

MARK HENRY MODERATES AN INTERVIEW BETWEEN THE GUYS IN THE MAIN EVENT- terrible
Everyone here was a total f*cking clown. Even Mark Henry came off like a goof.

HAIR VS. HAIR MATCH: Orange Cassidy vs. Jack Evans (w/Matt Hardy)- 4/10
Orange Cassidy did his dumb little light kicks, not taking the match seriously at all. If he doesn’t care if he wins, why should I? And why should I care if he gets screwed? Winning the match clearly doesn’t mean that much to him, so it’s not like he’d be losing much if he lost.
They eventually did a bunch of stuff and the match started to get exciting… so some genius decided that we should put an end to that by instead focusing on Matt gathering his forces on the ramp. OC’s friends appeared in front of the ring (apparently they had been in the crowd somewhere) and the two sides faced off. Because we were watching this, we had no idea what Jack Evans was arguing with the referee about when he turned around, ate an Orange Punch and lost. Now the undercard geek whose gimmick pretty much his entire time in AEW has been that he can’t win matches will get his head shaved by a guy who doesn’t give a sh*t about anything. Boy, you’re really hitting it out of the park with these stories, Tony.

This was a very good episode of Rampage that got pulled down by the stupid bullsh*t in the main event. This is a clown show.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3